CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Found in barn L88 on EBAY (ATTN. Rowdy Rat) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/553034-found-in-barn-l88-on-ebay-attn-rowdy-rat.html)

SBR 05-03-2003 09:09 PM

Found in barn L88 on EBAY (ATTN. Rowdy Rat)

There is a 68 L88 conv. thats needs a total resto on Ebay right now. Current bid is 25K. It looks like the real deal but would like to know if there is any ducumentation or would like to see a picture of the stamp pad. Maybe Rowdy Rat will chime in.

Paul Borowski 05-03-2003 09:55 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (SBR)

68 L-88s are too :cool: . Wish I had one :lolg:

Steve Straus 05-03-2003 10:06 PM

I assume this is it..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6168

Ouch.

JB 05-03-2003 10:17 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Steve Straus)

Dayyyum. That's cool and sad at the same time. They really let that interior get nasty--you'd think they could at least roll the darned windows up. I hate these "found in a barn" threads because I NEVER FIND ANYTHING IN A FRIGGIN' BARN!

JB

Desertdawg 05-04-2003 05:31 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (JB)

$26,000 and the reserve is still NOT met...Damn... :eek:

Paul L 05-04-2003 09:29 AM

That is a real diamond in the rough. I am surprised the pro buyers have not jumped on it yet!

Steve Straus 05-04-2003 10:50 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (paul79)

Is it me, or does it look like it's been in a fire? I know it would be charred badly. You'd think for what they're offering and how much they're asking for it they'd at least take some decet pictures. It looks like there's ash all over the car.

FASGLAS 05-04-2003 11:10 AM

I agree the pics should be better. MUCH better. Were it mine, moving it outside for clear photos would be a priority, along with a basic cleaning. Nothing fancy, just eliminate the distractions.... JMHO

kaiserbud 05-04-2003 11:24 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (FASGLAS)

The old barn dream story....

I just looked at it for a moment - the interior looks like it is in pieces too. I guess that matter - if all the parts are there and it is original - it is still a frame-off situation. :cool:

[Modified by kaiserbud, 10:28 AM 5/4/2003]

73 LS-4 05-04-2003 12:16 PM

I'd like to hear the story about how the car came to get in that bad of shape :eek: You'd think if someone had the money and knowledge to buy an L-88 car back in 68 they would have kept it up at least :nonod:

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

SBR 05-04-2003 01:29 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (73 LS-4)

Upon closer inspection it looks like the car is not equipped with power brakes even though it says that it is :skep: I still would like to see the car in person.

TNT 05-04-2003 02:05 PM

SBR, That is first thing I noticed about the car. J56 HD brakes were power vacumn assisted. It would be very odd for someone to remove the booster and patch the fire wall and install a manuel master cyl? Thad

Chinaski 05-04-2003 03:17 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (TNT)

interesting points about the power brakes...i just looked again and noticed that too...can anybody research if the casting numbers he provided etc match up with a real L88?

WESCH 05-04-2003 04:43 PM

Hi
Also no word about original documentation.
With this low milage, the tank sticker should still be available.
Wonder what the selling price will be.
Gunther

BUGGSY1970 05-04-2003 05:14 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (WESCH)

For a vehicle proported to be a valuable L88 it sure has been presented in a haphazard way. I wonder if that was by design. The old myth of finding one in a barn could sure catch some folks napping.
If I found a real one the tank sticker would be one of the things I would show and a little clean up to make it look presentable would certainly be in order. The vehicle would be worth big bucks to the real collectors if you gave them half a chance. Caveat emptor.

Cali,68,L-79 05-04-2003 05:22 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (BUGGSY1970)

It obviuosly would require an expensive no holds barred full frame off restoration.

:steering:

bamavettes 05-04-2003 07:46 PM

I think anybody would be foolish to buy this car off ebay without checking the proper numbers good and getting full documentation.

I sure would not accept this vague description, and sorry pictures.

Desertdawg 05-05-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (bamavettes)

hmmmm $30,100.00 and still Reserve not met.... :eek:

Rowdy Rat 05-05-2003 09:35 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY

Steve, Thad,

Just had a chance to look at the thread on this morning... The lack of a power booster for the brakes was the first thing that I noticed as well. For what it's worth, the master cylinder doesn't appear to be original either so I guess it is possible that it was removed at some point in time. Still, there is no way in the world that any sane person would buy this car without a personal inspection to verify that the car is authentic.

I haven't had a chance to check my survey to see if this car is on it... It probably isn't if it has been stored all these years. Still might be worthwhile to check... Just to see how it compares with other L-88s in that time frame.

I would be curious to see what (if any) documentation is available for the car... That would be interesting to look at.

Realistically (assuming the car actually is real), the car might be worth $40,000-$50,000 the way it sits. I'm guessing that the reserve is much higher than that.

Personally Steve, I'd rather find one like yours that is complete and very presentable. I'm not sure that I want to dive into another body off restoration right away!

Regards,

Tom73 05-05-2003 09:48 AM

One thing I noticed but may be wrong on, the ad says build of J15. First month of production was Sept 67, so J would be July 68, right? But the engine stamping shows VIN of S419330 which would have been an April 68 build. Am I misreading this? :confused:

tom...

Rowdy Rat 05-05-2003 10:17 AM

Tom,

A 1968 Corvette with a serial number of 19330 would have been built in the latter half of May 1968.

Body build dates for 1968 Corvettes coded as "A" began in August 1967... "J15" works out to be May 15 which is right about where it should be.

Regards,

LemansBlue68 05-05-2003 10:45 AM

I dunno......

'68's are so hard to restore because there's so many 1 year only special parts that it would need..... :cry

The fact that there was only 80 of 'em made in '68 would make it all the more difficult.....:cry :cry

Maybe if it's really an original I'd give him 5 grand or so.....:cry :cry :cry

Think he'd take a check?

:jester :jester :jester

Tom73 05-05-2003 10:52 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Rowdy Rat)

Tom,

A 1968 Corvette with a serial number of 19330 would have been built in the latter half of May 1968.

Body build dates for 1968 Corvettes coded as "A" began in August 1967... "J15" works out to be May 15 which is right about where it should be.
So A=Aug rather than the first month of production, Sept. And I see that I cannot read as April ended with 17,676 and May ended with 20,928. Time for new glasses.

tom...

PRNDL 05-05-2003 11:11 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Tom73)

an L-88 vert with a luggage rack.... how cool is that? :rolleyes:

I like this part:

I will Not reveal the reserve on this car to anyone. We believe the reserve is reasonable. However should the car not reach the reserve, the highest bit will revealed to the owner for consideration.
Well gramps, we found somebody who will take the old vette off your hands for $2000!! (Just kidding, little joke, not accusing the selling agent of any impropriety! :jester )

adamdinat 05-05-2003 12:05 PM

looks pretty rugged. spending $30k and and still needing extensive resoration? Am I missing something? This collectable stuff is nuts! I can only imagine what would happen if I showed up at home with that on the trailer. I might bite on the pile of lumber leaning against the car though. You would think that they would at least pull it out of the shed. Cars go in the barn because they have personal meaning to someone or they need more work than someone is willing to spend. This looks like the later to me.

[Modified by adamdinat, 12:07 PM 5/5/2003]

Robert N 05-05-2003 01:02 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (adamdinat)

My thoughts:

The car is being offered by a dealer. That generally scares me.

The car might just be the real thing. The damage, neglect, missing brake power booster may just be signs that the car lead a hard life. I found my LT-1 in a similar state (though a replacement block) and I knw the second owner hot rodded her. The condition does not scare or would not deter me if the car could be documented (even if all of the numbers do not match)

The documentation is key as mentioned. Given a 68 vert L88 sold for 135k recently (article in Car and Parts Corvettes), 40 -50K would be a great deal depending on originality and documentation.

WESCH 05-05-2003 04:00 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Robert N)

Given a 68 vert L88 sold for 135k recently (article in Car and Parts Corvettes), .
To achieve such a high price for a L88, wouldn't it also require some racing documentation or is it just enough to be a regular L88 sold to anybody ?

Gunther

Robert N 05-05-2003 04:14 PM

Stan is the better person to answer with specifics, but there were only 80 produced in 68. Given the fact that it was perfectly origional with low miles, the L88 designation drives the price up.

Tom73 05-05-2003 04:14 PM

Given a 68 vert L88 sold for 135k recently (article in Car and Parts Corvettes), .

To achieve such a high price for a L88, wouldn't it also require some racing documentation or is it just enough to be a regular L88 sold to anybody ?

Gunther
The ones that were raced would, more then likely, not be original as the engine would have long ago blown up or been replaced. Race cars swap engines all the time.

What could make this one valuable would be if it has complete documentation.

tom...

69L68 05-05-2003 04:24 PM

Well, it does have a "radio delete" plate, but it looks like it has a antenna mast on the rear deck. ???????

Steve

Rowdy Rat 05-05-2003 04:27 PM

Gunther,

Your basic 1968-69 L-88 convertible (that has had a quality restoration and the NCRS/Bloomington Gold awards to prove it) will sell for around $100,000 as long as there is documentation and history available... The prices have remained pretty stable for a while despite the best efforts of some to push them higher.

For a car with legitimate race history, the price will be much, much higher. I know of a 1969 L-88 race car in similar condition to this '68 that sold recently around $130,000... We're talking about a car that is going to need a complete body off restoration on top of the initial purchase price.

Looking again at the 1968 car in question... I notice that there is a radio block off plate on the dash, but there is also an antenna base on the rear deck. A radio and antenna could have been added after delivery, but it's just one more item that you take note of as being out of place on this car.

Regards,

Rowdy Rat 05-05-2003 04:34 PM

Steve,

Looks like we were posting at the same time...

Yes, I caught the antenna issue too.

Still, there are cases of L-88 owners adding radios after the fact... The factory wouldn't provide one, but they wanted one anyway. GM sold retrofit kits for non-radio cars so it could have been done with all the correct parts. I want to say that the Dobbins book has a reprint of the parts list and antenna installation template.

By itself it may not be a deal breaker, but it's just one more thing you file away as you inspect the car... And one of the reasons that you absolutely need to make a personal inspection.

Regards,

mvftw 05-05-2003 04:35 PM

2 things bother me about this car...the only thing that would make this car valuable would be the NOM engine...so why isn't there a picture of the engine vin??? If you want big bucks for this trash, you can find a way to get a clear picture of the vin. Also this car is being sold by dealers (the most honest people in the world) :smash: , if it is real wouldn't they first go to the big restorers like Corvette Mike and there are ones in Florida, have them fight it out, they have the cash plus transportation, no hassle for them. I maybe wrong - but I think it's a phony :bs

JB 05-05-2003 07:52 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (adamdinat)

looks pretty rugged. spending $30k and and still needing extensive resoration? Am I missing something? This collectable stuff is nuts! I can only imagine what would happen if I showed up at home with that on the trailer. I might bite on the pile of lumber leaning against the car though. You would think that they would at least pull it out of the shed. Cars go in the barn because they have personal meaning to someone or they need more work than someone is willing to spend. This looks like the later to me.

[Modified by adamdinat, 12:07 PM 5/5/2003]
That's an easy one--a fully restored L-88 can easily go for six figures.

JB

Paul Borowski 05-05-2003 08:06 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (JB)

A LeMans Blue '68 L-88 roadster which had issues sold a few years ago at Bloomington for like 105K and it DID NOT have the original engine in it. It was also ONLY a Bloomington Silver Award car too. :eek: :crazy: :rolleyes:

Robert N 05-05-2003 08:29 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Paul Borowski)

A LeMans Blue '68 L-88 roadster which had issues sold a few years ago at Bloomington for like 105K and it DID NOT have the original engine in it. It was also ONLY a Bloomington Silver Award car too. :eek: :crazy: :rolleyes:
This is why I spent what I did on a NOM 70 LT-1. While it never wil be as valuable as the L88, it is documented and could be properly restored.

JB,

'Cars go in the barn because they have personal meaning to someone or they need more work than someone is willing to spend. This looks like the later to me.'

Incidentally. my car was garaged (rather than the barn) for the for 24 years for the former reason. Many people KNOW what they own and its potential future value. They are 'parked' for a number of reasons, including that they need excessive repairs. The previous owner of mine intended to get her back on the road 'next year'. Next year never came and he was expanding his business. The logical decision was to sell.

Based on the comments by Stan and some of the more knowledgeable folk, I am leaning that it is either not a real L88, or modified.

This collector car stuff IS nuts. It is part of the reason I am facing a dilemna in whether to ultimately restore mine to full NCRS glory or something part way.

SBR 05-05-2003 08:46 PM

I know that I am repeating myself but I hope the day will come when Chevrolet finally releases its records so that we will know for sure what cars had what options from the factory.
Stan, I am looking forward to Bloomington, see you then. :cheers:

Detroit Vette 05-05-2003 09:41 PM

I may be digging deep here but i feel like this is a hoax. I don't believe this is an authentic car. Does it appear to anyone else like the picture from the front of the car looks blurred, as if the photo was edited to hide the fact that the car was rolled into that spot????? It looks like they used photo shop to blurr the tire tracks. I think the car was put in the barn to decieve people into believing that it had actually been there for years :skep: :skep: :nono:

PRNDL 05-05-2003 10:04 PM

I have always recommended throwing a little dirt on a car to increase it's market value!! :lol:

That was a good spot on the antenna. I am not so good at that game, especially with such crummy pics, but I do like the rusty inline fuel filter they added (Purolator $1.79?). You gotta have clean fuel with an L88. I also appreciate that they went to the trouble to paint the windshield wiper accuator black. I hate that shiny gold look!

And... did all 68s have A.I.R? even L88? i cant remember... but this car doesnt seem to have one.

So, if you were really interested in this car do you think the seller (a dealer) would take you out to the owner's "farm" to inspect the "car" in his... "barn" ?

[Modified by MNJack, 10:16 PM 5/5/2003]

Captain Morgan 05-05-2003 10:18 PM

Re: (MNJack)

Anybody else notice that they say on e-bay that the car has 1 mile on it? Take a look at the odometer.

kaiserbud 05-05-2003 10:56 PM

Re: (Captain Morgan)

A few comments....

Say it is worth $100-130. If you have $50k in it - it WILL take $40k-60kplus to make it right. That is assuming all is accurate and documented.

Anytime you sell a car in a dirty (dusty) condition and have inadequate photos - it brings a concern.

Also - if it is such a good deal and the dealer is smart and in the buusiness, if it were me - I would offer the owner a price and run with it... The presentation on this car indeed needs help.

I pulled the photos up in photoshop and checked them out closely - the console is just thrown together. None of the dash pats seem to fit togerther.

Check the front wheels - they are straight, yet the steering wheel is clocked 90 degrees.

The luggage rack is hoakey for an L-88

Questions:

Why would removing the power brakes require filling the firewall?

What is the mileage - 56,000? - or 5600??? is it actual - because the ad says 1 mile. They never really say.

Tom73 - why are race cars worth more - do you mean by important race drivers?

[Modified by kaiserbud, 7:26 AM 5/6/2003]

Red69 05-05-2003 11:28 PM

The pictures shown are actually pictures of pictures... notice the grainy look to them... also, the lower RH two have florescent light reflections in them... (white blurry features)... :yesnod:

If it were real, would you leave the keys in it for 20 years :smash: :jester

[Modified by Red69, 11:30 PM 5/5/2003]

Rowdy Rat 05-06-2003 02:20 PM

I know that I am repeating myself but I hope the day will come when Chevrolet finally releases its records so that we will know for sure what cars had what options from the factory.
Steve,

I keep hearing rumors that at least a large portion of the Chevrolet records have been found and that efforts are underway to organize and present it in a manner similar to what the Pontiac Historical Society has done (makes sense since the same person who set up PHS is supposedly heading this effort). The word I got was that we could see something as early as this fall... This from some well informed people who are usually on top of information like this.

Then again, I keep hearing information to the contrary as well... Also from some pretty well informed people. If JohnZ is following this thread, perhaps he might comment on this... I know that I mentioned it several months ago, but perhaps he has heard something since that discussion.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Stan, I am looking forward to Bloomington, see you then.
Same here Steve... Really looking forward to seeing you and your car again!

Regards,

Tom73 05-06-2003 02:35 PM

Re: (kaiserbud)

I was going the other way in that race cars go through engines so it would be very rare for a race car to have an original engine thus would not be as valuable. But there is a case to be made for a well documented race car to be very valuable, so one that ran at LeManns.

tom...

Budman68 05-06-2003 02:47 PM

Why is it offered as original and painted red? The description says it is Silver.
The radio delete looks like it is either another from another car or just laying there. Can you Photochop an L88 in a pic?

Rockn-Roll 05-06-2003 04:00 PM

I've been looking over the car and reading some info in my Illustrated Corvette Buyers Guide by Michael Antonick. Here's some info:

Factory L88 cars did not come with a heater...I don't see one in the pics. The engine DOES look like an L88 with stock covers and attachments

I don't think there was a luggage rack available for 68, it also has sports mirrors, and a power antenae...obviously it's been modified...perhaps when it was painted? But, keep in mind that IF the owner had one of the 20 L88 vettes then would he REALLY add all that non-original junk?

It's obviously a 68 from the pushbutton door lock as well as the ignition in the dash. There's also the tach showing 6200 as the start of the redline...don't know if that is significant, and can't see where the redline ends.

I also have a book called The Complete Corvete by Richard M. Langworth which says only 20 L88's were installed at the factory. There should have been an L88 emblem on the hood, but I don't see one there...I'm sure that whoever had painted it would have re-installed the emblem, but it also looks like all the chrome has been removed from the engine area...possibly thieves. The book also says that the L88 got NO SMOG equipment and came with an 850 Holley...can't see the carb due to the air cleaner though. At the time of the printing of the book (1987) it stated that only 3 L88 68's were known to exist...not sure what the count is today, but if it's over 20 then I'd figure someone miscounted somewhere.

There's also no notice about what the transmission is...obviously it's a 4-speed, but I believe the L88 only came with the M21 and not the M20...not sure if one of them had the M22 or not...I believe the LT1 in 69 got the M22 standard. As with others I'd have to see the tank paper.

All of this in mind I'd say it's a fake...sure, it's a 68, but HIGHLY doubt that it's a factory L88. The original owner would have KNOWN what they had, and any subsequent owners would have kept it in much better shape. The only curve I see is the loss of records...is this VIN one of the 20 L88's? If not then can it be authenticated so that it is recognized as an L88?

Paul Borowski 05-06-2003 04:58 PM

**** but I do like the rusty inline fuel filter they added (Purolator $1.79?). You gotta have clean fuel with an L88.*****
Mark, Stan may correct me on this, but I do believe that $1.79 Purolator filter was only a $1.19 option originally(was code L90).

All '68s regardless of engine options had smog(at least until Stan corrects me :lolg:)

Paul Borowski 05-06-2003 05:20 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Rockn-Roll)

[QUOTE]********* At the time of the printing of the book (1987) it stated that only 3 L88 68's were known to exist...not sure what the count is today***********

I would guess over 200 of the original 80 are out there today :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Rowdy Rat 05-06-2003 05:23 PM

I've been looking over the car and reading some info in my Illustrated Corvette Buyers Guide by Michael Antonick. Here's some info:

Factory L88 cars did not come with a heater...I don't see one in the pics. The engine DOES look like an L88 with stock covers and attachments

Steve,

Mike Antonick is for the most part a mid year (1963-1967) guy... A pretty sharp one at that, but I think that he may have included some incorrect information. While it is true that buyers of 1967 L-88 Corvettes were also required to order RPO C-48 heater/defroster delete for credit, there was no such requirement for 1968-69... In fact, the heater was mandatory for all Corvettes beginning with the 1968 model year in order to comply with federal regulations requiring a functional defroster. I've also been fortunate to see a fair share of these L-88 cars up close... All of the 1968-69 cars that I observed have had heaters.

I don't think there was a luggage rack available for 68, it also has sports mirrors, and a power antenae...obviously it's been modified...perhaps when it was painted? But, keep in mind that IF the owner had one of the 20 L88 vettes then would he REALLY add all that non-original junk?
Currently available Chevrolet records indicate that 20 L-88s were produced for sale in 1967, 80 in 1968, and 116 in 1969. Are these numbers accurate? It's impossible to say... But for now, they're the best we've got. Regardless, they were pretty rare cars... Even back when they were new. As far as items like the luggage rack, mirrors, antenna, etc., items like that were added all the time. There was more of a tendancy to "personalize" one's car than there is today. I doubt that the owner(s) gave one thought back in the late 1960s as to what the car would be worth in stock form today. These items really don't surprise me at all... I've seen some pretty interesting things added to cars over the years.

It's obviously a 68 from the pushbutton door lock as well as the ignition in the dash. There's also the tach showing 6200 as the start of the redline...don't know if that is significant, and can't see where the redline ends.
Tachometer yellow lines for all three years of L-88 production began at 6200 rpm and had a red line beginning at 6500 rpm... Of course so did L-71s, L-89s, and ZL-1s so it really isn't of much help. Still, it is the correct tachometer as opposed to something else.

I also have a book called The Complete Corvete by Richard M. Langworth which says only 20 L88's were installed at the factory. There should have been an L88 emblem on the hood, but I don't see one there...I'm sure that whoever had painted it would have re-installed the emblem, but it also looks like all the chrome has been removed from the engine area...possibly thieves. The book also says that the L88 got NO SMOG equipment and came with an 850 Holley...can't see the carb due to the air cleaner though. At the time of the printing of the book (1987) it stated that only 3 L88 68's were known to exist...not sure what the count is today, but if it's over 20 then I'd figure someone miscounted somewhere.
There was an L-88 label that was intended to be used in production during 1969... Perhaps 1968 as well, I'm not certain. I believe it may be listed in the AIM, but for whatever reason, it was never installed on a production car (although several of the parts vendors seem to carry it) and the standard "427" numerals were carried over from the regular big block hood to the ZL-2 hood. A similar label was planned for the 1970 LS-7 as well as one that was actually used on 1970-72 LT-1s.

As far as emissions equipment... 1967 L-88s used a pcv valve if I'm not mistaken. 1968-69 L-88s used the pcv valve as well as the A.I.R. system found on other Corvettes of those years. 1969 A.I.R. pumps used on L-88s differed from other Corvette smog pumps that year in that they retained the external pressure relief valve found on the 1968 pumps... At least through the majority of the 1969 model year.

First design L-88s (1967 through about April 1969) used a vacuum secondary Holley four barrel LIST# 4054... The second design engines used a Holley as well, but with dual accelerator pumps and mechanical secondaries. I believe that the Holley LIST# on that carburetor was 4296.

How many are left? I have quite a bit more than three in my survey... 16 1967s... Maybe 50 1968s... 85 or so 1969s.

There's also no notice about what the transmission is...obviously it's a 4-speed, but I believe the L88 only came with the M21 and not the M20...not sure if one of them had the M22 or not...I believe the LT1 in 69 got the M22 standard. As with others I'd have to see the tank paper.
The M-22 transmission was a mandatory option for 1967-68 L-88s. Chevrolet relaxed the restriction a bit in 1969 and offered a heavy duty version of the M-40 Turbohydramatic 400 automatic transmission in addition to the M-22.

All of this in mind I'd say it's a fake...sure, it's a 68, but HIGHLY doubt that it's a factory L88. The original owner would have KNOWN what they had, and any subsequent owners would have kept it in much better shape. The only curve I see is the loss of records...is this VIN one of the 20 L88's? If not then can it be authenticated so that it is recognized as an L88?
Is it real? I don't know... Although like you Steve, I'm always skeptical when one of these cars "pops up" out of no where. As others have noted, the photos are lousy and the broker hasn't offered up much detailed information. Still, no way to tell for certain until you get a chance to see the car up close... Nothing beats a personal inspection for turning up information about a car's history.

Off topic, I like the photo of your '75 in your signature... The reflections cause a pretty cool visual effect.

Regards,

[Modified by Rowdy Rat, 5:33 PM 5/6/2003]

Rowdy Rat 05-06-2003 05:32 PM

Purolator Filter

Mark, Stan may correct me on this, but I do believe that $1.79 Purolator filter was only a $1.19 option originally(was code L90).
Paul,

Advertise it as an NOS RPO L-90 filter (L-88 only) and put it on Ebay... You'll have bids over $1000 in no time! :)

Regards,

PRNDL 05-06-2003 06:18 PM

I just had to dump on this car one more time. Too many things to explain. It is a fake. Show me a matching #s (with vin derivative) M22 and I may have to revise my assessment (That would make it a GOOD fake! :lol: ). But, comeon! You have an antenna on a radio delete car? OK, radio was added... so why is the radio delete plate still there 35 years later? Where did they put the radio? Not in the glove compartment, I assure you! That engine (less the smog pump) was probably purchased over the counter. Could have been done a long long time ago. Clones were not invented in 1995. They were making them right from the get-go. Restoring an ancient clone does not make an original L88, although I can just see that happening in this case. Way too many questions and excuses for me. OK Stan, you go check her out! :lol: MJ

Robert N 05-06-2003 07:15 PM

Stan, what would it take to verify that this IS legit?

Paul Borowski 05-06-2003 07:26 PM

Steve,

I keep hearing rumors that at least a large portion of the Chevrolet records have been found and that efforts are underway to organize and present it in a manner similar to what the Pontiac Historical Society has done (makes sense since the same person who set up PHS is supposedly heading this effort). The word I got was that we could see something as early as this fall... This from some well informed people who are usually on top of information like this.

Then again, I keep hearing information to the contrary as well... Also from some pretty well informed people. If JohnZ is following this thread, perhaps he might comment on this... I know that I mentioned it several months ago, but perhaps he has heard something since that discussion.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
I really DO NOT even want to think about what will happen :eek: I mean 37(of the original 20) 1967 L-88s that has been Bloomington Gold Certified.....well let's just say this, plus the "hundreds" maybe of phony bigblock cars '65-'72 that may just not be a little original...well there is going to be a MOB of PO'd people like we have never seen before. Sometimes I think it best IF THE INFO NEVER surfaces :D I mean, what if anyone here would find out there pride and joy '67 435 Black roadster was originally a 327/300hp 3spd car---and your '65 "all original" 396/425hp car was just a 327/300hp DRUM BRAKE car!!!!!!!!!! This maybe the best thing for "new buyers", BUT for the poor people who own them now-God help them, THEY WILL BE PI55ED TO NO END. :rant:

SBR 05-06-2003 09:33 PM

Paul, while the release of the records will open a can of worms I personally would rather know the truth beyond a shadow of a doubt than a maybe anytime. Plus it will put an end to people getting robbed by shifty sellers JMHO.

[Modified by SBR, 8:34 PM 5/6/2003]

Paul Borowski 05-06-2003 09:46 PM

Paul, while the release of the records will open a can of worms I personally would rather know the truth beyond a shadow of a doubt than a maybe anytime. Plus it will put an end to people getting robbed by shifty sellers JMHO.

[Modified by SBR, 8:34 PM 5/6/2003]
Yeah, I know but it will cause severe problems... I can see the headlines now...""Angry Corvette Buyer Kills Corvette Dealership Owner"".........Film at 11. I for one am glad I'll just be watching :lurk:

Robert N 05-06-2003 09:54 PM

Paul, that just brings us back to what I asked a few posts before. "How can you tell if this car it legit with certainty?"

I could not see 'taking a chance' with this car without documentation. The cost of guessing wrong could be staggering.

Rowdy Rat 05-07-2003 10:03 AM

Confirmation

OK Stan, you go check her out!
MJ,

Hopefully, I didn't give the impression that I believe that this car is definitely an L-88. Not having seen it, I just don't know. I'm in agreement with most of those who have posted so far though... Lots of red flags that seem to be surfacing as you get into the details and that's not something that I would want to deal with as a potential buyer.

As far as checking it out... The only way I'll be doing that is if someone retains my services to do so. I personally don't think this is the car for me... Too many "issues" as one of my friends would say! :)

Robert,

To start off, I'd call the broker... Get the basic information on the car as far as casting/stamped numbers and such... What has been presented in the Ebay listing is rediculously incomplete. Find out what documentation available. If any history has been researched, the contact points for previous owners. Simply put, the basics.

If what I heard convinced me that all was as advertised, I would want to make a closer inspection of the car... There are several items that could be checked in a matter of minutes that would probably determine if it was originally an L-88 or not. I'd want to see what paper documentation was available and how it compared to known original records. If what I saw led me to believe that it could be real, I'd start checking into the ownership history of the car... This is where you can turn up some good information on a car, things like how it was ordered, what was replaced, old photos, etc. This car is most likely not going anywhere soon so you have a little bit of time to do some research.

That's how I'd approach it anyway...

Regards,

Robert N 05-07-2003 12:59 PM

Re: Confirmation (Rowdy Rat)

Stan,

Thanks. While the car is probably going to wind up out of my budget, I intend to do some research anyway. Who knows.

Mr.Gearhead 05-07-2003 10:51 PM

OKAY... I gotta jump in on this one. Is it real? Is it fake? Honestly, does it matter? IT IS A CAR.... I LOVE MY CORVETTE..... but damn.... dropping that much cash on a basket case ... more brains than sense. I can appreciate the history of Corvettes... I have every book out there and read them twice.... BUT IT IS A CAR. Are we talking investment? I can lead you to more sound investments than this.... and I am not a broker. Are we talking history? FOR $40K AND A FULL RESTORE... Sorry guys... I AM A GEARHEAD and I love my Corvette.... but I am not following the thunder on this thread..???? $40K gets you a fairly new Z06 that will put this thing to DEATH..... QUICKLY! :confused: :confused:

Paul Borowski 05-08-2003 10:37 AM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Mr.Gearhead)

Yeah, but car for car, IF the '68 was a TRUE L-88, and it was restored, and I had my choice between that OR the Z06(or even three of 'em :lolg: ), I'll take the '68 L-88, thank you.

Rowdy Rat 05-08-2003 11:18 AM

OKAY... I gotta jump in on this one. Is it real? Is it fake? Honestly, does it matter? IT IS A CAR.... I LOVE MY CORVETTE..... but damn.... dropping that much cash on a basket case ... more brains than sense.
Anthony,

Yes, it really does matter to some people, myself included.

I'll say it again, I have not investigated this particular car in any detail and I have no idea if it is real or not. I can tell you that if I found a 1968-69 Corvette convertible in similar condition that I felt without a doubt was an L-88 (with the documentation and owner history to prove it), I would have no problem spending $40,000 to buy it and probably a like amount to restore it. My alternative? Buy one that is already restored for $100,000+ (that is the current going rate for a 1968 or 1969 L-88 convertible).

Am I crazy for thinking this way? Maybe... But in the end I'll own one very significant Corvette.

My big concern right now is that the rumors regarding the Chevrolet vehicle records are true and will be released in the near future. If so, I expect L-88 prices to double in short order... Leaving me SOL unless I do something soon.

I can appreciate the history of Corvettes... I have every book out there and read them twice.... BUT IT IS A CAR. Are we talking investment? I can lead you to more sound investments than this.... and I am not a broker.
I certainly don't look at it as an investment... As you mentioned, there are investment opportunities available that will yield a much greater rate of return than any car could ever hope to. Still, that L-88 will appreciate in value (at least in the near future) which is something that can't be said for most cars. At the end of a lousy day, I can take that L-88 out for a drive, waste a half tank of fuel, and return with a smile on my face... You can't enjoy a mutual fund or IRA in quite the same way. :)

Are we talking history?
For me, I'd say that is the primary reason that I hope to own an L-88 at some point in my life. I want to own a car that was instrumental in creating the Corvette racing legend... Both on the track and on the street.

FOR $40K AND A FULL RESTORE... Sorry guys... I AM A GEARHEAD and I love my Corvette.... but I am not following the thunder on this thread..???? $40K gets you a fairly new Z06 that will put this thing to DEATH..... QUICKLY!
The current Z06 is a fantastic car, no doubt about it. GM has also produced over 20,000 of them since 2001. Currently available production records indicate 216 L-88s produced for sale... Also over a three year period. Next year, that $40,000 Z06 will be worth $35,000... Or maybe $30,000, who knows. And in that year GM will be building more and more of them.

GM isn't building L-88s anymore.

Regards,

The_Dude 05-08-2003 11:59 AM

FOR $40K AND A FULL RESTORE... Sorry guys... I AM A GEARHEAD and I love my Corvette.... but I am not following the thunder on this thread..???? $40K gets you a fairly new Z06 that will put this thing to DEATH..... QUICKLY!

The current Z06 is a fantastic car, no doubt about it. GM has also produced over 20,000 of them since 2001. Currently available production records indicate 216 L-88s produced for sale... Also over a three year period. Next year, that $40,000 Z06 will be worth $35,000... Or maybe $30,000, who knows. And in that year GM will be building more and more of them.

GM isn't building L-88s anymore.
:iagree: I don't think it takes too much common sense to know that a '68 L-88 convertible is a much more desireable car than a new Z06. :rolleyes:

[Modified by The_Dude, 8:59 AM 5/8/2003]

nada 05-08-2003 12:05 PM

I just bid $100,000 for the car. I know a good deal when I see one. I hope my credit union is understanding!

:D

mvftw 05-08-2003 12:28 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Rick Church)

Rick, don't take this the wrong way, but I've seen some of your posts... DON'T WORK ON THE CAR YOURSELF...LOL

nada 05-08-2003 12:36 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (mvftw)

I've always found that doing a simple job three times in a row or a tough job four times reinforces the learning curve. My learning curve is so verticle I keep falling off. Help me Obiwan Kenobie.

Wrencher 05-08-2003 12:45 PM

Re: (kaiserbud)

[Modified by kaiserbud, 7:26 AM 5/6/2003]

The L-88 was concieved as a race car, and the few that were converted to actual race cars (both drag and road racing) are worth A LOT more than a regular L-88. The 3 or 4 that were at Monterey last year all had log books with extensive history (LeMans, Daytona, etc...), and I understand the guy that owned them paid low-mid 6 figures for all of them. Of course the engines were replaced (probably many times!), but the value would be way up there due to the uniqueness of the car itself.

Hans

Robert N 05-08-2003 12:49 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Rick Church)

For those that are interested, I am trying to do some research on this car. I have had several emails with the seller. As has been mentioned, if the car is legit, it is a nice find.

My thoughts as to the common sense of spending $40k on a basket case, I spent $12k on a NOM 70 LT-1. :crazy: ? Maybe. But a well document piece of Corvette history was worth it to me. It is no different that some guys spending $25K redoing a 1980 or spending that kind of money on building a 700hp engine. The latter 2 make no sense to me. It is a matter of perspective.

The car is by no means an investment. It is a want. If it appreciates, great. If it depreciates, oh well. The likely hood is, hopwever, that these cars will allow me to breakeven 20 years down the road.

Robert

SBR 05-08-2003 08:48 PM

Yeah, but car for car, IF the '68 was a TRUE L-88, and it was restored, and I had my choice between that OR the Z06(or even three of 'em :lolg: ), I'll take the '68 L-88, thank you.
:iagree:

SBR 05-08-2003 08:58 PM

Stan, I have said for the last couple of years that L88s are undervalued if you compare them to ZL1 Camaros which are valued at 250K+ and Hemi Cudas which are 125+. I won't even mention a Hemi Cuda conv. that traded for 1 million dollars or LS6 Chevelle convs. for 200K. I agree that if the records are found that real L88 values would double right away. I truly hope that you can find the right car for the right price. :cheers: I am still kicking myself for passing up a 69 Lemans blue coupe that was Gold certified and a 20000 mile car for 70K right after 9/11. It had a replacement motor with the original on the side.

[Modified by SBR, 8:01 PM 5/8/2003]

vette_c5c6 05-08-2003 09:20 PM

God Why can't I find such Morons when I sell stuff, How and why would any-one bid to buy an old car site un-seen. Remember a restored car is not as valuable as a Survivor This may or may not be a real L-88 and why would any-one want to support such a slob as this seller is, Just look at the condition of the other items. Oh well as the saying goes buyer be ware and let some else find out the real cost of restoring an old car. Dam you can go out and buy a BB 73 vette for the fraction of the price, stick a cam and headers 100 more HP latter you are ready to enjoy the hobby. Hope the fool has more money then brains that wins this silly bid.

bbeck 05-08-2003 09:54 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (vette_c5c6)

Man, this really has had quite the attention. I can see it true. Think of the possibility of a richer family in the late 60's, early 70's; dad gets son a newer corvette for graduation- explains the tassle on mirror. Radio gets added- kid part explains that. Been wrecked and painted- inexperienced young driver with lots of power explains that part. Possibility? I think so....

jonny4523 05-08-2003 10:02 PM

that is a sweet car. If I had the money, I would try to great lengths to get it. Who ever ends up with it, will have a definate trophy car.

Paul Borowski 05-08-2003 10:39 PM

For those that are interested, I am trying to do some research on this car. I have had several emails with the seller. As has been mentioned, if the car is legit, it is a nice find.

My thoughts as to the common sense of spending $40k on a basket case, I spent $12k on a NOM 70 LT-1. :crazy: ? Maybe. But a well document piece of Corvette history was worth it to me. It is no different that some guys spending $25K redoing a 1980 or spending that kind of money on building a 700hp engine. The latter 2 make no sense to me. It is a matter of perspective.

The car is by no means an investment. It is a want. If it appreciates, great. If it depreciates, oh well. The likely hood is, hopwever, that these cars will allow me to breakeven 20 years down the road.

Robert
Robert, until the Chevrolet documents come to light, I'm not so sure I'd believe ANY DOCUMENTATION these days!!! Tanks stickers, protecto-plates, shipper copies, dealer window stickers ARE ALL BEING "REPOPPED"(aka...forgeries)now a days. All I'll say is there are many, many Corvettes out there THAT ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM TO BE :skep: :skep: :skep:

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 9:42 PM 5/8/2003]

JoeC427 05-08-2003 10:43 PM

:iagree:

Mr.Gearhead 05-09-2003 01:19 AM

Excellent replies... I thought for sure I would get flamed for being the "ANTI L-88 GUY" I'm not. I think the L-88 is bad asp... At first I thought it had nothing to do with the money... I thought... "it's not the money... $40K isn't so bad for a rare car...." Then after reading your posts.... IT is the money. I would have a real hard time spending this much for this car. Hell... my Sport E320 probably handles better than this thing.... but then again......

"they never have parades with a bunch of Mercedes' driving down the street!" Good luck to the winner bidder. I hope this is the real deal and a Corvette Lover can truly own a piece of history!

:cheers:

[Modified by Mr.Gearhead, 3:21 AM 5/9/2003]

hunt4cleanair 05-09-2003 06:40 AM

checking this morning...the price has not moved much but it should be interesting to watch with only a few minutes left!

Anyone willing to suggest what it will finally go for?

PRNDL 05-09-2003 01:05 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (hunt4cleanair)

I don't think it's going to "go for" anything. This auction is as fishy as the car being auctioned. The seller states that if the reserve is not met he will submit the high bid to the seller. I think the reserve has been set very high. I am not accusing anybody of actually shilling... but if the reserve is set unrealistically high, let's say $200,000, a shill bid will seemingly move the price up higher but will not trigger an ebay transaction. They could just be trying to entice some "real money" into the auction. The seller has no ebay track record. The car is poorly documented (I am speaking only about the information provided in the auction description, including pictures), and there is a lengthy list of items questioning the cars authenticity which were gleaned from an inspection of a few lousy pictures! This whole auction stinks! :( MJ

LemansBlue68 05-09-2003 01:10 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (hunt4cleanair)

"checking this morning...the price has not moved much but it should be interesting to watch with only a few minutes left!
Anyone willing to suggest what it will finally go for?"
________________________________________ _____________________

My bet is that bidding won't meet the reserve. If my hunch is right and this is a hoax, the reserve is set somewhere around $1,000,000 (we'll never really know will we?). This car may be the real deal L88 but I don't believe the owner is really intent on selling it. For chrisakes, the least he could have done was move some of that crap out of the way so that he take a few decent pix to post with the ad. For someone expecting somewhere in excess of $32K for this car, don't you think he could have taken some better pictures?... Especially of what really counts, like the numbers on the motor, a tank sticker, or ANY documentation that would convince a serious prospective buyer to travel accross country to take a look and make a serious bid on a REAL L88!!

Something else that surprizes me is that with only 80 '68 L88's known to have been produced that an L88 registry doesn't exist that documents the wherabouts of these cars. I bet 1/2 of them were raced and are now long gone. I just read where a registry exists for the '53 Corvettes and it accounts for just about every one of the 300 of them.

Robert N 05-09-2003 05:00 PM

Paul,

I agree with the forgery issue. I also agree that this is a "fishing expedition' as mentioned to find a high bidder.

There are enough items that can be verified to determine if the car is NOT an L88. The fact that documentation could be falsified should not stop someone from looking. I am also interested in a title search. This could reveal a previous owner who would have first hand knowledge of the car.

Robert

SBR 05-09-2003 06:56 PM

Lemansblue68, while there is no official L88 owners registry, there are individuals such as Rowdy Rat and a couple of others that I know of who have survey information on these cars. I would definetly consult with one of these individuals before making a purchase such as this one.

Robert N 05-09-2003 08:46 PM

Update: The tranny is NOT original.

Robert

Captain Morgan 05-10-2003 11:59 AM

How did you find that out?

This thing is up to 42,000 and the reserve still isn't met. I think you all may be right about the reserve is set so high that it won't sell on e-bay.

PRNDL 05-10-2003 12:17 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Captain Morgan)

How did you find that out?

Probably by contacting the seller! :) Remember, that can be done.. :lol:

That seals it for me! No M-22, no powerbrake booster, antenna on rear deck but radio delete plate conveniently still there, if I put an L88 hood on my car it would be closer to an L88 than this car!! I will put it on ebay and you guys can bid it up to $100k... reserve not met... Anybody want to try? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SBR 05-10-2003 12:17 PM

Update: The tranny is NOT original.

Robert
Robert, did the seller mention if there was any documentation? I will say this, the fact that it does not have the original trans definetly does not help prove its case that it is an authentic L88. If I were a betting man I would say that the reserve is between 50/60K

[Modified by SBR, 11:40 AM 5/10/2003]

kaiserbud 05-10-2003 12:20 PM

Has the mileage been determined ?

Eddie 70 05-10-2003 12:54 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (kaiserbud)

Everybody better bid quick because there is only 20 minutes left.

Where is my checkbook..........nah.

kaiserbud 05-10-2003 01:18 PM

Damn - I missed it - my high bid was 52,599.99 :lol:

[Modified by kaiserbud, 12:38 PM 5/10/2003]

Robert N 05-10-2003 01:54 PM

I have had a number of email and phone conbersations with the seller. He seems sincere and has pointed out several of the items we found. The reason for the antenna, an aftermarket radio was installed.

The lack of the original tranny doesn't prevent this from being an L88, but the fact that an M22 Muncie was removed and not rebuilt is a serious concern.

Bob Jenkins 05-10-2003 02:15 PM

I also noticed the missing power brake booster, along with wrong carb/fuel line, the antenna on rear (L88 were radio delete cars), very suspect to me... :confused:

kaiserbud 05-10-2003 02:56 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (Bob Jenkins)

One thing I guess I never mentioned is that indeed this could be an original car - just certain obvious items derserved questioning.

Maybe an owner along the way did not appreciate/know what he had. :cry

Either way, we (CF) noted certain items, and whether able to be substantiated or not, this might very well turn out to be a true L-88 car. :flag

Either way due diligence is always required. :yesnod:

[Modified by kaiserbud, 1:57 PM 5/10/2003]

BB wowbagger 05-10-2003 03:03 PM

Almost 53K$...Its alot of money for a "project".. :crazy: :cheers: :cheers:

wallyknoch 05-10-2003 04:53 PM

Re: Found in barn L88 on EBAY (eleven79)

The {"IT"} on the block indicates it`s a true L88. April engine build :cheers: