CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/491570-antique-plates-mileage-restrictions-smog-exemptions-questions.html)

rob75383 02-12-2003 12:01 AM

Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions

I like the idea of getting antique plates. I've heard that you don't get tested for smog tests when you've got these plates.
Problem is, my CURRENT insurance agent says I will be limited to only 5000 miles a year, and am only covered for driving to and from the gas station, car repair shop, and state licensing and testing facilities. To me, that means no more cruising around when I get an itch to.

Do any of you have antique coverage?
Are you limited in milege?
Do cops pull you over if your cruising with your antique plates?

My old plates expired Dec 31st, and I've been wondering about the antique plate thing.

Tom73 02-12-2003 12:06 AM

Re: Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Sounds as if you are talking about two different things here, antique license plates and classic/antique car insurance.

I have Hagerty Classic insurance on three of my cars. They do not limit mileage but do not allow you to drive the car to work, require that it be stored in a locked garage, require the driver to have at least 10 years driving experence, etc.

Then, here in Texas, you can license a car as an Antique. Much cheaper registration costs, no safety inspection, no emission test. But they limit use to prades, club events, car shows, etc. Car must be at least 25 years old.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 11:07 PM 2/11/2003]

tersian 02-12-2003 12:11 AM

Re: Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Illinois Antique Registration Restrictions

1) The vehicles may be driven only to
and from an antique auto show or
exhibition, service station or demonstration.

2) The mechanical and physical
condition of the vehicles, including
brakes, lights, glass and appearance,
must be the same or as safe as
originally equipped.

http://www.sos.state.il.us/publicati...s/vsd35511.pdf

rob75383 02-12-2003 12:17 AM

Re: Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions (tersian)

tersian--
Thanks Ben! I think?!
Well, I appreciate your info, and the speed at which you got it to me.
But, I don't like the truth, actually I can't handle it :cry
I guess I'll just stay with regular plates, and insurance.

Thanks for the help/ info fellas!!

Tom73 02-12-2003 12:29 AM

I guess I'll just stay with regular plates, and insurance.
Just one additional note, you do not have to have antique plates to have classic/antique insurance. I had the insurance on mine before I got the antique plates. Check out the classic insurance companies, they may have something for you.

tom...

rob75383 02-12-2003 12:40 AM

Re: Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions (Tom73)

Thanks Tom73, I will shop around, and see what I can find...

I'm interested in the "agreed value" part of the insurance.

Clink69 02-12-2003 07:40 AM

Here in Maryland I got Historic plates. But I found a set of nice original 69 plates and thats what I drive around with. Never been stopped in 5 years. keep the historic plates in the back. Even have talked with several police in parking lots and they never say anything.. Mostly cool car....

Paul Borowski 02-12-2003 07:54 AM

Re: Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions (tersian)

Illinois Antique Registration Restrictions

1) The vehicles may be driven only to
and from an antique auto show or
exhibition, service station or "demonstration".

"""But Golly Gee Officer, I was only frying 'em for DEMONSTRATION purposes!!! How can you give me a ticket for that"" :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
In Ohio, antique plates are virtually the same thing, very limited driving to and from shows, parades, car functions. They can be A55HOLES about it if they want to be. I have "collector plates" on my '75, which means e-check exempt, value of the vehicle must be $100( :lolg: , no I am not making this up)and it can't be your "primary" method of transportation. Mileage is unlimited. :D

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 6:56 AM 2/12/2003]

theandies 02-12-2003 08:19 AM

Re: Antique plates: mileage restrictions, smog exemptions, questions (Paul Borowski)

I have antique plates here in VA. The only reason I did it was to avoid safety inspection......my wiper motor is dead right now and I haven't replaced it yet. There is a restriction on amount you can drive (I don't rember what it is) and driving only to events and to test the car after repairs. If I ever get stopped I'll just tell the officer that I just fixed something and am testing it. I am going to drive my car when and where I want to. I will not let that little piece of metal keep me from enjoying my car.
John

[Modified by theandies, 7:21 AM 2/12/2003]

BlueL36 02-12-2003 11:00 AM

Do any of you have antique coverage?
Are you limited in milege?
Do cops pull you over if your cruising with your antique plates?

My old plates expired Dec 31st, and I've been wondering about the antique plate thing.
I live just a bit south of you. I have antique plates which are good for 5 year increments and are far cheaper than regular ones. They are butt ugly but that will change when all of them expire in 12/04.

Insurance- check out Rally Insurance in Elmhurst. Inexpensive in comparison to my daily drivers.

Mileage- Limited 3000 per year, but that's a lot. Have to keep it garaged when not in use, another condition of coverage.

Plates and pullovers- Never been and no one I know has ever been pulled over for driving on an antique plate. You can take it to shows or exhibitions (remember there's one everyday in Chicagoland in warmer weather) and out for maintenance (you gotta keep that thing running right.)

Check out the Great Lakes forum for some of the cruise-ins already being discussed. If you remain in doubt, check out the number of antique plates at any of those gatherings. Good luck with your decision. :cheers:

[Modified by BlueL36, 10:03 AM 2/12/2003]

Big Fish 02-12-2003 07:16 PM

I elected not to get the antique plates. I have a lot of cop friends who have told me the local cops usually won't mess with you, but the State Troopers are big on busting you on this. I am building my car to drive, not just show. :cheers:

73 LS-4 02-12-2003 07:48 PM

If the car is only going to be driven on nice sunny days during the warm months you shouldn't have any problem with antique plates. I have AV plates on mine and never really had a problem. I did get pulled over one time (doing about 80 in a 45) and they asked me why I had it out? Told them I just changed intake manifolds and I was testing it out, OK was the reply and they let me go. Actually it was the truth that time but just make something up, I got AV plates to get out of emmission tests, I wasn't worried about the cheaper plates but I guess it's a nice bonus. Where I'm moving they aren't tested so I may go back to regular plates on the 73, haven't decided yet, but will probably keep the AV. State farm only restricts me to 5k miles a year which is more then enough for me.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz