CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   OK I'm stumped, why is oil coming out the top of my dipstick? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/386001-ok-im-stumped-why-is-oil-coming-out-the-top-of-my-dipstick.html)

x_streme 09-11-2002 10:53 PM

OK I'm stumped, why is oil coming out the top of my dipstick?

It is drving me nuts, and it's a lot of oil too. :mad There is some oil smoke coming from the exhaust, could it be conected?

Thanks as always, you guys rock!

yoslambo1@cs.com 09-11-2002 11:08 PM

Re: OK I'm stumped, why is oil coming out the top of my dipstick? (x_streme)

post this on engine mods im sure someone will know.good luck! :cheers:

ski_dwn_it 09-11-2002 11:13 PM

I hate to break the news to you fella. But I just posted on another exact post just like yours. I will tell you the same thing.

My car when I bought it was doing the exact same thing. I took care of the leak with a bandade of sorts. I wrapped the top of the tube with electrical tape which made the dipstick fit very tight. Solved the problem, but there is more to it than just that. The reason you are getting excess oil up through the dipstick is the rings in your car are more than likely leaking. I took mine to a shop and they diagnosed, basically confirmed what I was getting for leakdown. My car on the other hand, never burned an onze of oil, but the compression was leaking down past the rings, causing the crankcase pressure to be excessive. Too much for the breathers to handle, therefore the dipstick was being used to vent the excess.

Have your car leaktested or buy a tester from Summit. You will most likely see what I am talking about. If your burning oil, your are probably worse than even mine, which were pretty bad. 20% on some and one was 50%.

You would have never known by driving my car, the reason I started looking was my 1/4 mile trap speeds were about 7+ MPH off. They were only ~104-105 when they should have been 110-113 MPH.

I hope I am not right, but I think I might be. :(

sinistervette 09-11-2002 11:16 PM

Possibly. Have you pulled the oil fill cap with the engine running? If so, does it seam to have smoke, air, or oil coming out? It could be the rings are giving out, causing blow by and excessive crankcase pressures :sad:
Have you checked the pcv valve? This could also be bad and cause part of your problem. Good luck. :cheers:

x_streme 09-11-2002 11:23 PM

Re: OK I'm stumped, why is oil coming out the top of my dipstick? (sinistervette)

Have you pulled the oil fill cap with the engine running? If so, does it seam to have smoke, air, or oil coming out?

Nuthin comin out of the oil cap with it off, a slight amout of oil seeps from the fill cap when its on.

Have you checked the pcv valve? This could also be bad and cause part of your problem. Good luck. :cheers:
new PCV valves, thought that may have been the problem, but it's not. I am also getting some oil in the throttle body coming from the right PCV valve.

I was afraid i poped a ring, I will have to have a leakdown done.

cajun86 09-12-2002 07:56 AM

BLOW BY :sad:

ski_dwn_it 09-12-2002 09:01 AM

Re: OK I'm stumped, why is oil coming out the top of my dipstick? (cajun86)

yepper the oil in the intake was pretty obvious in mine too. That can also lead to knock from the hydrocarbons.... good luck :(

Denney 09-12-2002 10:04 AM

Re: OK I'm stumped, why is oil coming out the top of my dipstick? (cajun86)

BLOW BY :sad:
Yup, most likely... http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/...withstupid.gif