CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/381088-checking-c5-automatic-transmission-fluid.html)

Ron Cleaver 09-05-2002 01:22 PM

Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid

The owner's manual is very condescending on this, as if we are too dumb to do it. It says to take it to a dealer.

Is it really a big deal? How do you do it and how is it different from any other car. :jester

Xssesive 09-05-2002 02:24 PM

Re: Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (Ron Cleaver)

You have to check it under the car, there is a sight plug you remove to check fluid level. Go to http://www.idavette.net/hib/C5diy/c5diy2.htm

[Modified by Xssesive, 12:28 PM 9/5/2002]

[Modified by Xssesive, 12:34 PM 9/5/2002]

Mike Mercury 09-05-2002 02:36 PM

Re: Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (Xssesive)

searched and found this:
forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=216624

Ron Cleaver 09-06-2002 01:22 PM

Re: Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (Xssesive)

Xsessive - that's a good link

Mike - I did a search and didn't find that link.

I was asking because I found a dry red spot on my garage floor after the trans. fluid temp. reached about 200 degrees sitting on the DC Beltway. So I was wondering if fluid overflowed but I couldn't find the dipstick :D

Marcus 09-07-2002 03:09 AM

So I was wondering if fluid overflowed but I couldn't find the dipstick :D
:nono: There is no spoon... err dipstick. You have to raise the car level, remove a bolt on the side of the transmission housing, stick your finger in to see if the fluid is up to the hole. If not, you need to hand pump tranny fluid into the hole until it trickles out. :cuss What an annoying and inane process! GM needs to hire better engineers.

[Modified by Marcus, 1:09 AM 9/7/2002]

Mike Mercury 09-07-2002 11:41 AM

Re: Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (Marcus)

You have to raise the car level, remove a bolt on the side of the transmission housing, stick your finger in to see if the fluid is up to the hole.
Don't forget it is a mandatory that the engine is running and the tranny in neutral. It needs to be done by the book! :)

RWhite 09-07-2002 01:22 PM

Re: Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (Mike Mercury)

I did this process a few weeks ago and it is easy, just kind of weird running the tranny through the gears up on a lift with me under it adding fluid! I did not use a pump to add fluid. Wal Mart had a neat clear rubber hose you screw onto the fluid bottle and by just squeezing the bottle, it flows up the tube and into the tranny.

3BVert 09-07-2002 10:58 PM

I never thought about why there is not a dip stick but...

That would have to be one LONG dip stick!

Fast one 09-09-2002 01:15 PM

Re: Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (3BVert)

Or an aftermarket sensor bolt that drives a green and red led for high and low fluid levels.

JCR 09-09-2002 07:00 PM

Re: Checking C5 automatic transmission fluid (Fast one)

I believe that several precepts are being overlooked here.
1. The fluid is supposed to be lifetime???
2. Once it is in , and there is no evidence of leakage there is no need to add fluid. This in theory should be for a lifetime.
3.The engineers did not design this transmission with frequent changes in mind. If you do not see a leak then leave it alone. If you must then fill, then it must be running and all it takes is a little finger probe in the fill hole similar to a differential check. I do not see it as a big deal, especially if you have a lift. Simple if you have the right tools, and GM has the right tools.

Howard Adams 06-16-2016 08:46 AM

where do you add fluid?????

73Corvette 06-16-2016 01:53 PM

Sorry bro... this is a really old thread and adding fluid is not just a matter of taking off a cap and adding fluid... you need to FOLLOW the specific instructions for that procedure :thumbs:
What needs to be done is to have the car elevated and level. With the transmission throughly warmed and ENGINE RUNNING remove the fill plug on the drivers side rear of the tranny pan. Add fluid as required. While doing this the engine MUST be running. DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OFF WITH THE FILL PLUG REMOVED.

fixvet 07-13-2016 05:43 PM

If anyone has done this filter and fluid change recently, what fluid did you buy and where? For my 1998 A4 tranny w/93K miles on it, I want to use GM's AC Delco Dexron 6 brand but there seems to be several part numbers out there so I'm not sure which to buy. I've read many places that FULL synthetic is NOT to be used. Some bottle labels say nothing about this, some do. I hate this crap!! Any help will be appreciated.:thumbs:

73Corvette 07-13-2016 08:14 PM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-98-a.html

jim993 07-13-2016 08:30 PM

Just to be clear, Ron Cleaver is asking about an A4 auto trans.

You do have to follow FSM procedure for checking and or filling the A4 because if you remove the level check/ fill plug when the engine is not running, fluid will pour out and the transmission will then be low on fluid.

The fluid is not necessarily lifetime, the FSM specifies changing under certain driving conditions.

In my case, I track the car and change fluid and filter every four or five track days and use full synthetic Red Line D4 ATF.

fixvet 07-13-2016 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 73Corvette (Post 1592623439)

Your link refers to a manual tranny, not the automatic A4 posts in this thread. Still looking for Auto tranny fluid info.

Thanks anyway....:thumbs:

73Corvette 07-13-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by fixvet (Post 1592623553)
Your link refers to a manual tranny, not the automatic A4 posts in this thread. Still looking for Auto tranny fluid info.

Thanks anyway....:thumbs:

:ack: sorry I guess I need to pay MORE attention :D

73Corvette 07-13-2016 08:39 PM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uid-check.html

Nasbluec5 07-13-2016 09:17 PM

It should be emphasized that transmission fluid will not warm up with the car sitting in idle. The car should be driven a minimum of 20 mins to get the fluid up to temp. On my Dakota R/T I had to change my fluid every 30k. But that is with a built race tranny.