CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Second Motor-Still Issues. Need Advice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/3498697-second-motor-still-issues-need-advice.html)

gootz 07-11-2014 07:40 AM

Second Motor-Still Issues. Need Advice

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning guys.

I want to explain my frustration, and honestly need some advice. I began to hear a lifter noise from the motor at 1300 miles. At first I thought something was stuck to the tire, but luckily I was a block from home and pulled into my driveway to get a closer look. As soon as I walked out of the car I realized it was coming from the engine and knew it couldn't be good.

I broke the engine in the proper way as per "GM's protocol"- Never beat on it or had any internal (or even bolt-ons for that matter) work done-Never even changed the oil as the car only had 1200 miles.

I called countless dealerships in my area, and I got the runaround for over a week and a half. Half of these dealerships didn't yet have a certified technician who was able to work on stingrays, and the other half told me they wouldn't be able to accommodate me for 4-5 weeks. This just seemed so wrong to me that GM sold these cars without making sure there were proper technicians at each dealer that was selling stingrays.

I called GM and fought with them to have my car towed back to Kerbeck (where I purchased the car) as they were willing to work on it right away.

Long story short, upon inspection that lifter turned into a bigger issue. I was told the crankshaft was scored. UNBELIEVABLE. I babied this car, so for this to happen made me quite upset, knowing I did nothing to cause it. The tech told me this had to be a manufacturing issue that lead to a fatal malfunction- a new engine was needed.

After 3 weeks (GM was late to deliver the new engine and also forgot to send over a new dry sump tank), I was told my car was ready. Kerbeck nor GM was willing to flatbed my car back to me(which should of been done), so I had to leave work early to take a 2.5 hour bus ride from Manhattan to Kerbeck (all out of my own pocket). I picked up the car(that had a less than a 1/4 tank of gas) and drove it back home. On my way I saw that my digital gauges were acting erratic- RPM's jumping up and down; glitching; not moving; and the screen would not change from driving mode to driving mode. I was a little calm in the fact that it SEEMED to be just a digital issue. I call the tech immediately the next morning and told it shouldn't be an issue and that GM would try to get me an appointment with a lcoal dealer (still have not heard back from them). So last night I took the car out to put some more miles on the motor, and began to realize my car DOES NOT sound the same anymore. At first I thought it was just me, but after several people commented on it, I was starting to get upset.

I drove the car around and noticed a check engine light. I pulled over immediately and eventually decided to turn the car off. I let it sit for a few minutes and fired it back up-it wouldn't turn over. I waited another minute and tried again-It started with a fluttering idle like the motor was starving. I was only about 3 minutes from home so I began to drive (literally just getting the car to move/roll) when a error code popped up- "engine power is reduced". The car was shaky, stuttering, and overall making me very uneasy. I took it home and it currently sitting in my garage.

I was GM's ideal buyer. I am in my young 20's and really believed in giving GM a try as the car was stunning and just seemed to fit me. At this point I'm lost at what to do. I already lost the car for 5 weeks (between calling dealerships and fighting with GM to when it was complete at Kerbeck) and now looks like I am going to lose it again. Soon it would have been in the dealership longer than Ive had it (since late march). I was told by Kerbeck that the car was driving perfect after the engine replacement and its just not the case. These things happened immediately.

What do I do? Where do I go from here?
Thanks guys

Attachment 48371383

Itshakes 07-11-2014 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=gootz;1587334137]Good morning guys.half told me they wouldn't be able to accommodate me for 4-5 weeks. This just seemed so wrong to me that GM sold these cars without making sure there were proper technicians at each dealer that was selling stingrays.

I called GM and fought with them to have my car towed back to Kerbeck (where I purchased the car) as they were willing to work on it right away.

Long story short, upon inspection that lifter turned into a bigger issue. I was told the crankshaft was scored. UNBELIEVABLE. I babied this car, so for this to happen made me quite upset, knowing I did nothing to cause it. The tech told me this had to be a manufacturing issue that lead to a fatal malfunction- a new engine was needed.

Take it back and get another car!

gootz 07-11-2014 08:16 AM

[QUOTE=Itshakes;1587334259]

Originally Posted by gootz (Post 1587334137)
Good morning guys.half told me they wouldn't be able to accommodate me for 4-5 weeks. This just seemed so wrong to me that GM sold these cars without making sure there were proper technicians at each dealer that was selling stingrays.

Take it back and get another car!

I wish it was that easy my friend. Its just gut-wrenching as I worked my tail off to enjoy this car, and all of this happens.

Unreal 07-11-2014 09:22 AM

Look into lemon laws and start thinking of that. It will have to go back to fix the electrical/etc issues.

needaz06 07-11-2014 10:39 AM

Electrical issues could be something as simple a bad ground wire from when the engine was removed/installed. (check for loose ground wires all around the engine) Change in sound could be attributed to a small exhaust leak from when the exhaust manifolds were removed. (check for carbon buildup where the exhaust manifolds bolt to the heads) I wonder if they installed new gaskets? I know you shouldn't have to work on a brand new car, but I would at least check these items if I were in your situation.

I hope your issues are resolved soon.

gootz 07-11-2014 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by needaz06 (Post 1587335364)
Electrical issues could be something as simple a bad ground wire from when the engine was removed/installed. (check for loose ground wires all around the engine) Change in sound could be attributed to a small exhaust leak from when the exhaust manifolds were removed. (check for carbon buildup where the exhaust manifolds bolt to the heads) I wonder if they installed new gaskets? I know you shouldn't have to work on a brand new car, but I would at least check these items if I were in your situation.

I hope your issues are resolved soon.

Thanks for your help; much appreciate it. At this point, I'm praying its something minor like this. I will check these when I get home from work.

As anyone heard of hard resetting the battery? would that reset/fix the computer or would it not do a thing.

Again these are my issues:

Erratic gauges (blipping; stuttering; all over the place; not switching between modes; everything seems delayed)

CEL (not sure of the code yet as it happened last night. Can onstar tell me the codes?

different sound to the car (more mild and deeper compared to the harder/louder/more aggressive revs it had before)

"Engine Power is Reduced" light that popped up (I guess i'll contribute to the failing to start and the shaky choking engine to this?

needaz06 07-11-2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by gootz (Post 1587335531)
Thanks for your help; much appreciate it. At this point, I'm praying its something minor like this. I will check these when I get home from work.

As anyone heard of hard resetting the battery? would that reset/fix the computer or would it not do a thing.

Again these are my issues:

Erratic gauges (blipping; stuttering; all over the place; not switching between modes; everything seems delayed)

CEL (not sure of the code yet as it happened last night. Can onstar tell me the codes?

different sound to the car (more mild and deeper compared to the harder/louder/more aggressive revs it had before)

"Engine Power is Reduced" light that popped up (I guess i'll contribute to the failing to start and the shaky choking engine to this?

First, have Onstar give you the codes. Then, after you check for loose ground wires (maybe theta can chime in and give the locations of these wires) disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes. This will reset the computer.

Post the codes in this thread when you finish.

Unreal 07-11-2014 11:31 AM

You shouldn't have to do anything yourself. Take it back to the dealer. That is what a warranty is for. Even the local dealer should be able to help. Have Kerbeck flatbed it back or send someone out to get it.

needaz06 07-11-2014 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1587335726)
You shouldn't have to do anything yourself. Take it back to the dealer. That is what a warranty is for. Even the local dealer should be able to help. Have Kerbeck flatbed it back or send someone out to get it.

Your absolutely right. He shouldn't have to. But, if I were a loose ground wire away from cruising around in my C7 this weekend I would give it a shot.

killascrimp 07-11-2014 01:03 PM

call GM... AND get answers.... The dealerships around my area are garbage dealers but atleast they jumped on my issues when i had mine .... good luck... Get on the phone.

Translator 07-11-2014 01:07 PM

DEFINITELY Lemon Law that car. You have already met the qualifications, most likely.

needaz06 07-11-2014 01:30 PM

I found this pic online. The article stated, "I’m actually pointing out one of about 15 ground wires on here for future reference."

Now that I think about it, a bad ground could cause a misfire thus changing the sound of the engine as well.

Edit: You can also see another ground just to the right of the one he is pointing to.
http://i60.tinypic.com/abgw13.jpg

dwward 07-11-2014 01:31 PM

I’m really sorry to hear you are going through this. You should know you are among friends here who want you to be made whole.

As others have suggest, you should not attempt any repairs on your own. This is why you have a warranty and I would even discourage you from trying to do anything yourself. You want to always be able to honestly say that you have done nothing to the car but drive it.

Call the service manager and Kerbeck and demand they come get the car to repair it properly.

At this point, it appears you have a valid Lemon Law claim. Tell Kerbeck that you are going to begin the process of making a Lemon Law claim.

You can download a PDF of your rights under the NJ New Car Lemon Law at this link: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp/lembroc.pdf

Assuming your car is registered in New York, it appears you also have a claim under NY’s Lemon Law: http://www.ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds...law-fact-sheet

I would review the two to determine which one appears easiest on the consumer. NJ appears to have a streamlined process with quick hearing date.

Before you can file a claim under the NJ or NY Lemon Law (most Lemon Laws actually), you must give the manufacturer one final opportunity to repair the defect. A letter to the manufacturer (not the dealer) must be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, stating that you may have a claim and that you are giving the manufacturer one last chance to repair the defect. See page 8 of the NJ booklet for a sample letter that they strongly recommend you use. NY also has a sample letter.

Send a copy of this letter to Kerbeck to give them added focus.

Even if Kerbeck tells you they are coming to get the car, still begin the LL process. If Kerbeck wants you to go to someone local, tell them you have not been able to find anyone local to repair and insist they make the appointment at the local dealer for you or arrangements for the local dealer to truck the car in.

Keep copies of all your records and keep a notebook that records the dates and times you called anyone for service with a brief note as to who you spoke too (first and last name) and a brief description of what you spoke about. If this would go to a hearing (and I don’t think it will) records made at the time of your phone calls / contacts with dealer and GM will be powerful evidence.

Again, I’m very sorry you are going through this. Feel free to PM me for moral support or if you just need someone to bounce things off of.

All my best to you.

needaz06 07-11-2014 01:44 PM

Here is a picture of the back of the LT1 engine. You can see a ground wire coming off of the harness near the cylinder head on the far left in this pic. This one would be easy to forget to tighten because of the location (drivers side). I have heard of a few people forgetting to tighten this bolt on the ls1 engine when doing head swaps and reporting similar issues to what you describe.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2py18nk.jpg

Theta 07-11-2014 01:53 PM

At this point, I believe it's in the OP's best interest to have this resolved without chasing down grounds... If it was a non-warranty issue, I'd be glad to help.

needaz06 07-11-2014 02:06 PM

Here is another view of the two grounds near the abs module:

Also gootz, don't be afraid to get in there and take a look around. Since the motor has already been removed once, GM will never know that you messed with it.

http://i59.tinypic.com/la3gw.jpg

WKMCD 07-11-2014 02:23 PM

Touch NOTHING!

Contact my friend RUNUTZZZZ here and ask him how he got GM to buy his C7 back after a series of problems.

Theta 07-11-2014 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by needaz06 (Post 1587336915)
Also gootz, don't be afraid to get in there and take a look around. Since the motor has already been removed once, GM will never know that you messed with it.

This is terrible advice - at this point, he should not touch a thing. Any of this public information can only be used against him in a LL case...

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 1587337058)
Touch NOTHING!

Contact my friend RUNUTZZZZ here and ask him how he got GM to buy his C7 back after a series of problems.

:iagree:

gootz 07-11-2014 02:37 PM

Guys, I want to thank EVERYONE here who is helping me out. This is an extremely frustrating situation for me, and it’s great to have this community right now.

Just an update: Due to my work schedule (I leave my house at 4:30am and I'm usually home around 8:00pm), a family member was nice enough to help me out with the grunt work of talking to GM while I am at work. (I also have limited service here on the top of 1WTC).

I read about NJ lemon laws and have the forms printed out right in front of me. I would of LOVED to take a look at the wires to see if anything was loose (it seems very straight forward and would of saved me from this anxiety I am experiencing), but the family member who offered to help was able to get Kerbeck to come flatbed the car back to their dealer (which is apparently in route). I wasn’t able to speak to them since early this morning (before most of your replies), so my question is-Did I miss my chance to activate the Lemon Law? I would assume if I was able to, this would be their final chance at repair. I hope I did the right thing here and it doesn’t bite me in the behind.

Let me know your thoughts. I am so mad I wasn’t able to be home today to check out the advice you guys have given me, or at least relay the message.

gootz 07-11-2014 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Theta (Post 1587337155)
This is terrible advice - at this point, he should not touch a thing. Any of this public information can only be used against him in a LL case...

:iagree:

well maybe this was a good thing then. This whole situation is ridiculously frustrating. Thanks again for the help guys