CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Who's keeping XM or Onstar after free runs out? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3498480-whos-keeping-xm-or-onstar-after-free-runs-out.html)

GTFD2 07-11-2014 12:12 AM

Not keeping either of them.

coupeguyz51 07-11-2014 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by jcosta79 (Post 1587330556)
With all the free radio apps out there (Pandora, Milk, etc...) it's only a matter of time before satellite radio dies. Not only do you have to pay for the service, but the signal is of lower quality than what you get with an app and a smart phone.

If you like sat radio though, they offer it now for $5/month, so it's not a ridiculous price like it used to be.

I'd pay five bucks a month for XM...I'd even pay that for OnScam, but not the ridiculous prices they want.....

air86 07-11-2014 01:48 AM

XM yes but OnStar no, my Samsung galaxy and nav I spent 795 for is good enough

humvet 07-11-2014 03:43 AM

I keep XM because whenever I used my iPhone for music, I would get a phone call while battling freeway traffic and all Hell would break loose. I had a wire from the headphone jack (no Bluetooth on my C6) and a charging wire to keep the battery up (I use google maps which sucks battery power). I'm driving, all these wires around and the phone is buzzing and ringing. It drove me nuts. And if I used Tunein Radio or Pandora, they would cut out and have commercials. Too much stress!

Now I use a dedicated iPod controlled by my head unit and XM. All is well.

Weasel 07-11-2014 04:55 AM

I like them but am going to try to work out something for the wintertime months that us northern climate folks don't use the Corvette.

C7Joy 07-11-2014 07:08 AM

I am going to try to setup a pay-as-you-go arrangement. My car will be down for 4 months of winter every year and I will not pay for service I can't use. If they won't set it up that way, the hell with it! :smash:

SASprof 07-11-2014 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY (Post 1587332751)
It always amuses me how so many of us owners buy these expensive Corvettes and then freak out at the prospect of paying a few bucks more for little luxuries like Sirius/XM, OnStar, and Navi.

It's like we have these indulgent cars and yet we won't spend what amounts to the cost of an extra pizza per month to maximize the ownership experience. "Yep...I'll blow 60 70 or 80K on a new car, but I'll be darned if I will spend 20 bucks more per month!"

Reminds me of when I sold new Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs and folks would pass up the "factory" floor mats cause they could get cheap floor mats at WalMart. People. Go figure.....

Vette owners didn't get to be Vette owners by being stupid. They understand the difference between an honest one-time-only price and a sneaky $X every f***ing month, stealth draining you indefinitely.

2vetteEd 07-11-2014 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jcosta79 (Post 1587330556)
With all the free radio apps out there (Pandora, Milk, etc...) it's only a matter of time before satellite radio dies. Not only do you have to pay for the service, but the signal is of lower quality than what you get with an app and a smart phone.

If you like sat radio though, they offer it now for $5/month, so it's not a ridiculous price like it used to be.

:iagree:

I will keep the sat radio in both my SS & C7 after the free trials because I can listen to the 50's, 60's, 70's, music without having to listen to all the propaganda & advertising of the so called "free public stations". :rock:

Yes, Rock On "Golden Oldies".

thebiglittledog 07-11-2014 07:53 AM

On star no, XM yes in 2004 I purchased 2 lifetime subscriptions for $345 each, I guess I'm ahead in that game, I hate all the free radio and free commercials .

jwstegbauer 07-11-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel (Post 1587333770)
I like them but am going to try to work out something for the wintertime months that us northern climate folks don't use the Corvette.

Just call them and suspend service for 6 months...That's what i did...

Rich Mickol 07-11-2014 08:31 AM

I'm talking about my C6 here :hide: I dumped Onstar right away. XM I've kept but knocked it down to Mostly Music.

VINDIC8R 07-11-2014 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel (Post 1587333770)

I like Weasel's thinking. My 2015 will only be a fair weather machine, so NO driving from November through April (Canadian winter). Unless I can score a May to October kind of thing, both will be a waste of bux for 6 months each year.

More thinking required.

owc6 07-11-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by VINDIC8R (Post 1587334865)
I like Weasel's thinking. My 2015 will only be a fair weather machine, so NO driving from November through April (Canadian winter). Unless I can score a May to October kind of thing, both will be a waste of bux for 6 months each year.

More thinking required.

It's not difficult to set this up. I've done this for a week at a time with rental cars. I just called XM up, paid for a month, and when I turned in the rental, I called them up and cancelled. They even refunded the prorated unused portion of the month, so I only paid for the days I actually used the service. :thumbs:

gixxerbill 07-11-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by SASprof (Post 1587334069)
Vette owners didn't get to be Vette owners by being stupid. They understand the difference between an honest one-time-only price and a sneaky $X every f***ing month, stealth draining you indefinitely.

good post dude. I hate wasting money on things I don't need because of other entertainment. i like free radio. I like hearing better music funny jocks, entertaining commercials and local stuff. Plus it doesn't go dead every time I go under a bridge or garage.

LT1xL82 07-11-2014 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by C7HOORAY (Post 1587332751)
It always amuses me how so many of us owners buy these expensive Corvettes and then freak out at the prospect of paying a few bucks more for little luxuries like Sirius/XM, OnStar, and Navi.

It's like we have these indulgent cars and yet we won't spend what amounts to the cost of an extra pizza per month to maximize the ownership experience. "Yep...I'll blow 60 70 or 80K on a new car, but I'll be darned if I will spend 20 bucks more per month!"

Reminds me of when I sold new Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs and folks would pass up the "factory" floor mats cause they could get cheap floor mats at WalMart. People. Go figure.....

It is not necessarily freaking out over a few bucks. For example, I am severely hard of hearing. A radio is virtually useless to me. Same thing for voice delivered directions and verbal communications with On-star. My hearing set aside, many people simply do not want to feel taken advantage. I have a 6 year GM vehicle that I still have not paid $200 to update the GPS maps...maps updates for smart phones are continuous, and free! I can afford the $200...but I'm not going to give to GM for a map update! There are many alternatives to XM radio to obtain music...and some of them are also free! The overwhelming majority of C7 owners are reasonably financially stable. But that is no reason to be wasteful or to pay a premium price for something they either don't want or prefer a less costly alternative. To each their own.

robertbruce 07-11-2014 02:45 PM

I never used either of them

chas70 07-11-2014 03:20 PM

I have sat radio on my other vehicles and I will keep it on this one. I listen to about 5-6 stations and I like it because it works almost anywhere and I don't have to keep searching for a new air station every time I get out of range. Wasn't aware that I could elect music only.

Crossed Flags Fan 07-11-2014 03:32 PM

I'll just do what I do wih my cable TV and run a cable to my neighbor's car....

914eener 07-11-2014 04:03 PM

Daily driver. I'm keeping XM but not Onstar.

GreG L. 07-11-2014 05:19 PM

Like my other vehicles I'll go to Offstar, but will keep XM. Even for a weekend driver, the $1.00 a day on weekends it costs is worth it to me.