CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Service Ride Control Light (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/3487350-service-ride-control-light.html)

2000Spirit 06-19-2014 01:41 PM

Service Ride Control Light

I am having an interesting problem with the selective ride control. The lamp is on when I first start the car and it goes out usually within 5 minutes of driving.

The lamp will repeat this process again after the car sits for a short while. If I hook up the tech 1a the only code I get is 12 (which I believe is a start of test code) and nothing else.

I cannot always get the system to give me code 12, sometimes it just sits there illuminated and will not flash even code 12.

Before I start pulling off the actuator caps and checking all the gears anybody have any ideas? This is a problem that has just started recently and has me really scratching my head! :crazy:

Thanks,
Dan

FASTAZU 06-19-2014 02:05 PM

My 93 comes on at every start up but goes out as soon as the car starts moving. The 91 does it sometimes but generally goes back out after start-up. Does the Tech 1a let you view live data when the car is moving? Maybe one of the actuators is just getting slow to go thru the check status.

I pull mine about every 6 months and clean the gear and apply a small amount of light oil on the shock gear.

2000Spirit 06-19-2014 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by We Gone (Post 1587171847)
Does the Tech 1a let you view live data when the car is moving? ....

Unfortunately you only get 2 options in the Tech 1a menu associated with the ride control: Flash codes and Clear Codes. Sure would be nice if GM had put a few more diagnostics in the tool.

I am just wondering if the FX3 module may be going bad.

blownrunner 06-20-2014 07:29 PM

I got the Snap-On MT2500, and to my recollection, I could only read and erase codes. Yo, check it:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/fx3/

2000Spirit 07-03-2014 10:05 AM

The Solution

Managed to find another 91 FX3 Controller and this completely solved the problem. I thought I would share some facts that might help someone in the same situation when troubleshooting the system.

First, If your ride control light is on and you use a tech 1a tool or other (shorting pins, different tool) the system should immediately flash code 12, If it doesn't there is a 95% chance the FX3 module is shot.

In my case my FX3 controller was flaky sometimes providing a code and sometimes not. I would leave my house and sometimes the light would go out.

When the system is working properly when you turn on the ignition on the light will go on and turn off within 5 seconds, this is the time it takes for all 4 actuators to properly cycle the gear at the top of the shock and verify proper operation and then set the shocks to match the position on the selective ride control switch.

If your FX3 system takes longer this may be an indication of a stiff gear/valve on a specific shock. When my system was originally working properly the key on light cycle was closer to 10 seconds.

When troubleshooting this problem I pulled all the actuators and did find one that was very stiff and difficult to turn. I worked some shock oil into the gear assembly and was able to loosen it up to work like the others.

Finally, if the FX3 system sets a code it will leave the ride control light illuminated. You will then be able to read the code and determine the shock (or actuator) giving you the problem, first code 12 will be displayed followed by the actual trouble code. These are:

13 - Left Rear time out
14 - Right Front time out
21 - Left Front time out
22 - Right Rear time out
23 - Loss of vehicle speed signal *
31 - Left Front out of position
32 - Right Front out of position
33 - Left Rear out of position
34 - Right Rear out of position
41 - Selective Ride Control Switch short to voltage
42 - Selective Ride Control Switch open contacts
43 - Selective Ride Control Switch open circuit

Notes on Codes 13-22, more then likely a bad actuator,

Notes on 31-34, more then likely a stiff or broken gear on top of the shock or the actuator cap is cocked or not properly installed.
Note on Code 23, this code will set if you cycle the ignition switch 3 times without driving the vehicle, it will go out once the vehicle is driven. Code 42 will remain in history until cleared.

Notes on Code 42, this code will set if you have the selectable ride control switch in between 2 settings, so if you see this one make sure the switch is in a detent position.

Thanks to all who privately emailed me with suggestions and offered their help. Its nice to see the C4 ZR1 brotherhood is still strong! :thumbs:
Dan

Dynomite 07-04-2014 11:22 AM

The Selective Ride Control Solution

This is excellent detailed and complete information Dan.....thanks :thumbs:
Excellent Notes.....to go along with the other information :thumbs:

Originally Posted by 2000Spirit (Post 1587276615)
Managed to find another 91 FX3 Controller and this completely solved the problem. I thought I would share some facts that might help someone in the same situation when troubleshooting the system.

First, If your ride control light is on and you use a tech 1a tool or other (shorting pins, different tool) the system should immediately flash code 12, If it doesn't there is a 95% chance the FX3 module is shot.

In my case my FX3 controller was flaky sometimes providing a code and sometimes not. I would leave my house and sometimes the light would go out.

When the system is working properly when you turn on the ignition on the light will go on and turn off within 5 seconds, this is the time it takes for all 4 actuators to properly cycle the gear at the top of the shock and verify proper operation and then set the shocks to match the position on the selective ride control switch.

If your FX3 system takes longer this may be an indication of a stiff gear/valve on a specific shock. When my system was originally working properly the key on light cycle was closer to 10 seconds.

When troubleshooting this problem I pulled all the actuators and did find one that was very stiff and difficult to turn. I worked some shock oil into the gear assembly and was able to loosen it up to work like the others.

Finally, if the FX3 system sets a code it will leave the ride control light illuminated. You will then be able to read the code and determine the shock (or actuator) giving you the problem, first code 12 will be displayed followed by the actual trouble code. These are:

13 - Left Rear time out
14 - Right Front time out
21 - Left Front time out
22 - Right Rear time out
23 - Loss of vehicle speed signal *
31 - Left Front out of position
32 - Right Front out of position
33 - Left Rear out of position
34 - Right Rear out of position
41 - Selective Ride Control Switch short to voltage
42 - Selective Ride Control Switch open contacts
43 - Selective Ride Control Switch open circuit

Notes on Codes 13-22, more then likely a bad actuator,

Notes on 31-34, more then likely a stiff or broken gear on top of the shock or the actuator cap is cocked or not properly installed.
Note on Code 23, this code will set if you cycle the ignition switch 3 times without driving the vehicle, it will go out once the vehicle is driven. Code 42 will remain in history until cleared.

Notes on Code 42, this code will set if you have the selectable ride control switch in between 2 settings, so if you see this one make sure the switch is in a detent position.

Thanks to all who privately emailed me with suggestions and offered their help. Its nice to see the C4 ZR1 brotherhood is still strong! :thumbs:
Dan