CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3458662-whos-running-ferrea-hollow-stemmed-exhaust-valves-f2042p.html)

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587339192)
Indeed. This is why its most likely going to be kept to a very small group of trusted individuals. :thumbs:

I see. So it won't be going viral, just the Knights Templar will know about it, and it won't be discussed outside of their circle.

Good luck with that. :thumbs::cheers:

Either way, the more information which comes to the forefront about the heat dissipation capabilities of using this valve in the LS7, the better.

Of course if it doesn't come about, then that could cause a lot more questions.

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587339153)
While your at it I will be waiting for your results with great anticipation on how the SS valve is able to handle the heat better than the OEM valve given the LS7 head was not designed to run with anything other than a sodium filled exhaust valve.

I never claimed that the SS valve handled heat "better" than the OEM valve.

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587339153)
Amazing how this valve has been used in other applications for years without any reports that I could find of it not being able to dissipate the heat, but hey, maybe the LS7 head could be its Achilles heal.

Could be propain. Could be.

They said the say same thing about the SS valve. Of course we have no confirmed examples of them failing in here due to what the one outfit warned about. Seems that their test results, theories and predictions don't jibe with real world results.

ramairws6 07-11-2014 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587339192)
Indeed. This is why its most likely going to be kept to a very small group of trusted individuals. :thumbs:

Oh realllllyyyyyy...:crazy2:

propain 07-11-2014 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587339406)
I see. So it won't be going viral, just the Knights Templar will know about it, and it won't be discussed outside of their circle.

Good luck with that. :thumbs::cheers:

Either way, the more information which comes to the forefront about the heat dissipation capabilities of using this valve in the LS7, the better.

Of course if it doesn't come about, then that could cause a lot more questions.

I never claimed that the SS valve handled heat "better" than the OEM valve.

Could be propain. Could be.

They said the say same thing about the SS valve. Of course we have no confirmed examples of them failing in here due to what the one outfit warned about. Seems that their test results, theories and predictions don't jibe with real world results.

I couldnt care less about fame. So going viral is not something I would be interested in. I just want answers. Answers which are consistently undermined on this forum for personal satisfaction or possibly worse motivations.

But yes. Given the nature of this forum it should be kept to a small group. But as I stated a few times the data would inevitability be shared with the masses. But in a way where history doesn't repeat itself.

The testing has nothing to do with the ability to handle heat. We will leave that to you since you seem to be so interested in the topic. If we dont hear anything I guess it would be safe to assume that you couldn't substantiate the claim. Good luck with that. :)

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587339781)
I couldnt care less about fame. So going viral is not something I would be interested in. I just want answers. Answers which are consistently undermined on this forum for personal satisfaction or possibly worse motivations.

There are more altruistic reasons for quickly sharing and getting what could turn out to be an important word to the masses than "fame".

But yes. Given the nature of this forum it should be kept to a small group. But as I stated a few times the data would inevitability be shared with the masses. But in a way where history doesn't repeat itself.

People have tried for years, but you can never remove debate and questions, some of them tough questions that some people might not want asked, from the introduction and arrival of new material, and the advocacy of new methods, or the attempt at confirmation of questionable old methods.

Questions, and yes tough questions are simply going to come with that, no matter who likes it or not. Unless you're talking about a flat out dictatorship, well then questions can be expected.

It is going to be discussed, and points possibly running counter to it's position are going to be put forth. Some effectively so. That might, and likely will chafe some people.

Some of you seem to have a big problem with questions that you don't want asked. Especially when they are asked of those whom some of you feel ought to be above question. Tough questions don't and won't go away. And when they aren't answered satisfactorily, or when the "answers" don't jibe with what is actually being observed, well that can become a big stumbling block for those who didn't want the questions asked in the first place.

You make a prediction that it is going to snow in Texas in August, and when it doesn't and I question your methods of predicting snow for that time of year in that location, well don't get pissed at me for questioning your forecast methods.

If valve bounce were really the big bad scourge to be feared that prior "testing" indicated it to be, well then why hasn't it bagged any cars in here yet after having 7 years to do so?

If "valve bounce" is so bad when people go with SS valves, well then why are these guys offering up this???

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-package.html

That car is built with the intent of being heavily tracked.

If running SS valves at redline is such an issue, a bad idea, and such a risk, well then with all of LG Motorsports track experience, why are they offering the above package????

They seem like a pretty knowledgable and top notch outfit to me. http://www.lgmotorsports.com/pages.php?CDpath=0&pID=4

Of course when questions like this get asked, some of you guys get pissed and try to "blame" others of us for no other "offense" than asking tough questions.

If the questions can be effectively answered beyond any doubt or impeachment, well then that's the end of it. However if they cannot be, well then those questions and others like them, often times persist.

No need to get mad at the person asking them. The questions simply were not fielded well, and recants or inconsistencies as to valve weight, whether a test was a repeat of a prior test, cam selection and selection of a cam which has never been available to the public and the rationale behind using it in testing, etc., all of this happening at one time or another but during the time that questions were being asked as to the test results, well, sorry, but that just does not bode well.

Especially when cars running counter to the testing predictions, and cars built by shops ignoring the testing predictions, are doing fine. And never mind that the testing was not being done by an independent testing outfit, but rather an entity which had their own offerings, which they sell for profit, within the test pool.

Don't get pissed at me, and start whining and carrying on about a "**** show" for my pointing that out.

The testing has nothing to do with the ability to handle heat.

And that is probably going to be a factor that some will want to take into account along with whatever your planned testing shows.

Leave that part out, where the question has already been asked, and the air filled cavity in that valve and it's efficiency in heat dissipation from the valve head to the valve stem, or lack thereof, and the questions about it will probably linger.

We will leave that to you since you seem to be so interested in the topic.

What's the point in "testing" that which is already known and widely accepted? One may as well "test" to see if water is wet.

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1587301588)

With an "unfilled" or "dry" hollow stem valve, you replace metal with air which is a very poor conductor of heat compared to metal, ...

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1587325223)
LS7 exhaust choices are:

stock, hollow stem, sodium-filled
hollow stem, air-filled
sold SS
Inconel
titanium.

The worst choice, IMO, is a "air-filled", hollow-stem valve.

Why?

Air is a terrible conductor of heat. You gun drill the stem and do nothing else, you now have a valve with a head which will run much hotter than the stock valve head because 1) the heat path: valve head > stem > guide > head > coolant is now severely restricted and 2) the heat path: valve head > seat > head > coolant cannot carry the extra thermal load.

If we dont hear anything I guess it would be safe to assume that you couldn't substantiate the claim.

Um, no, just that I made no effort to attempt at testing that which is already known.

Or are you arguing that air is a better conductor of heat than is metal and that a "test" should be run to "prove" that? :bigears:

Good luck with that. :)

I doubt I'll need it.

VetteVinnie 07-11-2014 10:22 PM

Quick, stop quoting that over and over as if it is going to make any difference. If you somehow believe your solid stems are going to transfer heat any better than these Ferrea valves, you are deluding yourself and everyone on this forum. Yes, air does not conduct heat very well, but it is not the air that is doing the heat conducting. There is still a significant amount of metal on those stems. And combined with the bronze guides, the difference is negligible. So give it a rest already.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1587340656)
Quick, stop quoting that over and over as if it is going to make any difference.

Make a difference as to what??? You don't believe that people need to be aware of this????

If you somehow believe your solid stems are going to transfer heat any better than these Ferrea valves, you are deluding yourself and everyone on this forum. Yes, air does not conduct heat very well, but it is not the air that is doing the heat conducting.

How do you know??? You think that the metal is doing all of the heat conducting? How does one prove that?

There is still a significant amount of metal on those stems.

And plenty of air inside of them too. The entire drilled out cavity contains air. Unless they drilled them in a vacuum and sealed the ends of them off, or somehow evacuated all of the air out of the stem after drilling.

And combined with the bronze guides, the difference is negligible. So give it a rest already.

:thumbs::cheers:

Well, I'm going off of Hib's comments below on this matter, where he offers as his opinion as to the worst of the lot when it comes to heat dissipation capabilities among the options for LS7 exhaust valves.

I'm not saying that the solid stems are as good as the stock sodium filled valves at doing that. But at least, according to this guy's opinion, they aren't as bad at it as the Ferrea hollow stems.

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1587325223)
LS7 exhaust choices are:

stock, hollow stem, sodium-filled
hollow stem, air-filled
sold SS
Inconel
titanium.

The worst choice, IMO, is a "air-filled", hollow-stem valve.

Why?

Air is a terrible conductor of heat. You gun drill the stem and do nothing else, you now have a valve with a head which will run much hotter than the stock valve head because 1) the heat path: valve head > stem > guide > head > coolant is now severely restricted and 2) the heat path: valve head > seat > head > coolant cannot carry the extra thermal load.

Look, he said it, not I. I believe him, and I think that others ought to be made aware of his point with regard to this as well.

Mark2009 07-11-2014 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587339158)
The subsequent demeanor, behavior, conversation and acts of known or suspected interested parties will give away any test results.

That's what makes any notion that they can be kept secret and not discussed absurd.

But they can spend their money trying.

It is quite common for privately funded research to only be distributed in accordance with a non-disclosure agreement. Violate that agreement and find yourself in civil court.

Not to mention copyright protection... I think that one can wind a person up in federal court.

Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code). These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work. In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement.

Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or "statutory" damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For "willful" infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys' fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505.

Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense.

For more information, please see the Web site of the U.S. Copyright Office at www.copyright.gov, especially their FAQ's at www.copyright.gov/help/faq

Source: http://www.bloomu.edu/technology/copyright_penalties

I'm surprised that moderately-informed adults are unaware of this. I suppose I'd blame it on cable news.

Happy trials! :D

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 1587340822)
It is quite common for privately funded research to only be distributed in accordance with a non-disclosure agreement. Violate that agreement and find yourself in civil court.

Not to mention copyright protection... I think that one can wind a person up in federal court.

I'm surprised that moderately-informed adults are unaware of this. I suppose I'd blame it on cable news.

Ok, so now anyone wanting to partake in sponsoring this "testing" will have not only have to pay who knows what, in terms of a fee, but will also have to take a blood oath not to disclose the results? Even by "accident"?

Tell me, if someone does spill the beans, .....how do you find out who it was???

:bigears

If it does get out, what is to stop you from wrongly suspecting and accusing some poor sap who didn't utter a peep.

:bigears

That poor bastard could find himself in federal court, having to undergo the expense of hiring someone to defend him against "false" accusations from his fellow sponsors, that he was the one who let the "secret" out. .....And there is no guarantee that he would win.

That "testing", could wind up costing him the price of admission, plus attorney fees, etc., if word did get out, and the leak was wrongly traced to him.

One of his fellow sponsors, could let the word out himself, and then point the finger at someone else. And now that someone else could wind up in Federal court, just on the BS.

Good luck finding people in here to actually sign such a commitment putting themselves at that kind of personal risk, over "testing" of this degree of importance. But then there are people out there who will sign anything.

Anyone considering involving themselves in this internet testing, I'm telling you up front, don't sign a damn thing, or agree to any stipulations which might land you in federal court without speaking to your attorney first.

Again, all anyone has to do, is look at the actions of anyone known to have been on the sponsorship roll, and evaluate their comments and subsequent positions on the matter in order to get an indication as to which way the testing went.

VetteVinnie 07-11-2014 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587340751)
Make a difference as to what??? You don't believe that people need to be aware of this???? How do you know??? You think that the metal is doing all of the heat conducting? How does one prove that? And plenty of air inside of them too. The entire drilled out cavity contains air. Unless they drilled them in a vacuum and sealed the ends of them off, or somehow evacuated all of the air out of the stem after drilling. :thumbs::cheers: Well, I'm going off of Hib's comments below on this matter, where he offers as his opinion as to the worst of the lot when it comes to heat dissipation capabilities among the options for LS7 exhaust valves. I'm not saying that the solid stems are as good as the stock sodium filled valves at doing that. But at least, according to this guy's opinion, they aren't as bad at it as the Ferrea hollow stems. Look, he said it, not I. I believe him, and I think that others ought to be made aware of his point with regard to this as well.

But you hang on his every word like it's the bible. He's a technical writer. He didn't design these engines nor does he engineer valves. So unless he has empirical evidence to back up that claim it's just one man's opinion.

Until I see an in-depth article with factual data and empirical evidence, then it's just hot air. Lol! :)

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1587340963)
But you hang on his every word like it's the bible. He's a technical writer. He didn't design these engines nor does he engineer valves. So unless he has empirical evidence to back up that claim it's just one man's opinion.

Until I see an in-depth article with factual data and empirical evidence, then it's just hot air. Lol! :)

:thumbs::cheers:

Are you going to take the blood oath, which if violated will land you in Federal court, that Mark2009 is now implying will be required of those who will be funding the new testing?

Edit:

Never mind, don't answer that.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't sign anything either that could potentially land me in federal court unless I just "had" to sign it. Certainly nothing as trivial as this planned testing.

ramairws6 07-11-2014 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 1587340822)

Hahahahaha.....OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Really sad to see what this world and some of the people in it have sercombe too :nonod:

propain 07-11-2014 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587341146)
Left out of what???

Signing a blood oath which could land me in Federal court on the humbug should somebody else spill the beans?

And for the "privilege" of "access" to "testing results" which at the end of the day are meaningless due to potential heat dissipation issues of the valve being tested anyway???? :lol:

Yeah, right. I'm all broken up about that. :rofl: :rofl:

Folks, I'm going to tell you one more time, because these guys seem to be headed off the deep end with this whole thing with talk of sworn oaths and such. Anyone considering involving themselves in this internet testing, I'm telling you up front, don't sign a damn thing, or agree to any stipulations which might land you in federal court without speaking to your attorney first.

And we both know what he is likely to tell you, when you tell him what you are inquiring of him about.

Like I said... butt hurt. :rofl:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587341177)
Like I said... butt hurt. :rofl:

Yeah, right. You go ahead believing that. :rofl::rofl:

propain 07-11-2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by ramairws6 (Post 1587341165)
Hahahahaha.....OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Really sad to see what this world and some of the people in it have sercombe too :nonod:

sercombe too? :rofl:

Did you mean succumb? Damn its sad how people can be on this planet this long and still continue to be so illiterate.

Time to abandon this ship. There is no intelligent life here. :rofl: Beam me up Scotty.

propain 07-11-2014 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587341203)
Yeah, right. You go ahead believing that. :rofl::rofl:

I will. You make it painfully obvious. Kinda funny at the same time though. Give me your address so I can send you some Kleenex. :rofl:

Alrighty... I am outa here. Enjoy guys. :rock:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587341222)
I will. You make it painfully obvious. Kinda funny at the same time though. Give me your address so I can send you some Kleenex. :rofl:

Alrighty... I am outa here. Enjoy guys. :rock:

:seeya

VetteVinnie 07-12-2014 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587341041)
:thumbs::cheers: Are you going to take the blood oath, which if violated will land you in Federal court, that Mark2009 is now implying will be required of those who will be funding the new testing? Edit: Never mind, don't answer that. I don't blame you. I wouldn't sign anything either that could potentially land me in federal court unless I just "had" to sign it. Certainly nothing as trivial as this planned testing.

The only individuals at risk of legal issues are those who are making unsubstantiated claims bordering on if not crossing into the realm of libel. ;) And something can only be copyrighted if registered. Granted, the day you write it, you own it, but in order to prove it in a court of law, you had best register it. Bear in mind that I have a background not only in engineering, but also fiction and non-fiction published material. What exactly do you do again that gives you authority here? Just curious. No disrespect intended. :)

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-12-2014 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1587341605)
The only individuals at risk of legal issues are those who are making unsubstantiated claims bordering on if not crossing into the realm of libel. ;) And something can only be copyrighted if registered. Granted, the day you write it, you own it, but in order to prove it in a court of law, you had best register it. Bear in mind that I have a background not only in engineering, but also fiction and non-fiction published material. What exactly do you do again that gives you authority here? Just curious. No disrespect intended. :)

I'm not claiming "authority" here.

Nor am I holding myself out as any sort of "authority" here. Never have.

I am only a Corvette enthusiast and consumer like so many others in here, making my own observations and offering up my own opinions on those observations.

I'm just one of the common folk at the town meeting, which is this forum, asking questions and voicing concerns. Sometimes over some of the answers that I find peculiar.

I'm no "authority", and I claim no "authority". But I will offer my opinions on what some of the authorities say, and what I observe, just the same as other enthusiasts and consumers in here can and do.

Oh, and no disrespect taken. :)

CB1953 07-12-2014 07:23 AM

I have tried to read all of these valve-related threads to try to educate myself on the issue, and it seems that nothing is resolved except back and forth bickering. At times I have thought that Quick and Howie were the sane ones, Mark and Propain were just stirring the pot. Now, the more I read, I find myself thinking that Mark and Propain are the ones' making sense, and Quick and Howie are just causing trouble.

My point is, there are many new and some not-so-new members of the forum that have no clue what to think. It would be nice to just stay on topic without all of the other crap being thrown back and forth. Those long, quote-laden posts get old real quick when one is just trying to understand the valve problem. I think these four guys have a great amount of knowledge between all of them, and it would be great to see everyone get on the same page.

My .02

CB

Mark2009 07-12-2014 11:17 AM

Short answer: all LS7 owners should get their valve guides checked.

If worn, get them and any other worn/damaged parts replaced. What type or brand parts that are installed is of secondary importance.

If not worn, keep checking periodically. This includes those with aftermarket, replacement, or rebuilt heads.