CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3458662-whos-running-ferrea-hollow-stemmed-exhaust-valves-f2042p.html)

propain 07-11-2014 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by FSTFRC (Post 1587337566)
proper interdependent and non bias facility

The members are footing the bill and dictating what is being tested.

Not sure on my miles. Why do you ask? Not really a garage queen either. Most of my miles are from the track.

FSTFRC 07-11-2014 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587337671)
The members are footing the bill and dictating what is being tested.

Not sure on my miles. Why do you ask? Not really a garage queen either. Most of my miles are from the track.

Read the comment you made earlier about all of the SS valve cars being garage queens was curious about the mileage on your car

Understand who is footing the bill but still would like to see that test be independent of the company that provided the original data. Doe not matter anyway one member wants to charge users who do no contribute a fee to look at the 'DATA'!

propain 07-11-2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by FSTFRC (Post 1587337714)
Read the comment you made earlier about all of the SS valve cars being garage queens was curious about the mileage on your car

and how would it apply to my car? I don't run SS valves.

FSTFRC 07-11-2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587337747)
and how would it apply to my car? I don't run SS valves.

Forget it, it's just a question, if you don't want to answer that's fine:thumbs:

propain 07-11-2014 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by FSTFRC (Post 1587337714)

Understand who is footing the bill but still would like to see that test be independent of the company that provided the original data. Doe not matter anyway one member wants to charge users who do no contribute a fee to look at the 'DATA'!

I think the data results should be kept from the forum as well considering what a **** show the last thread turned into. I would hate to spend a lot of money on this test only to have a select few members try and bash it. The data would surely be released to the forum members but I am sure it will be thought out exactly how that will be accomplished after the data has been reviewed.

As you can see from this thread a preemptive attack on that data has already begun... by the same member who trashed the other data thread. I think you can see why steps are being taken to ensure that the money of the members contributing is well spent and not wasted.

propain 07-11-2014 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by FSTFRC (Post 1587337808)
Forget it, it's just a question, if you don't want to answer that's fine:thumbs:

I honestly don't know. I can check for you if you like next time I drive it. Its not a daily driver that's for sure but it does get a decent amount of miles of track abuse.

Surely you had a point to make, don't be shy now... :rofl:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587337823)
I think the data results should be kept from the forum as well considering what a **** show the last thread turned into. I would hate to spend a lot of money on this test only to have a select few members try and bash it. The data would surely be released to the forum members but I am sure it will be thought out exactly how that will be accomplished after the data has been reviewed.

As you can see from this thread a preemptive attack on that data has already begun... by the same member who trashed the other data thread. I think you can see why steps are being taken to ensure that the money of the members contributing is well spent and not wasted.

The information from any planned testing will be out within days of it's conclusion.

Anyone not believing that is mistaken.

propain 07-11-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587337857)
The information from any planned testing will be out within days of it's conclusion.

Anyone not believing that is mistaken.

This is based on what?

You know what... never mind... I feel like I constantly ask you this question without any real answer. :rofl:

Dirty Howie 07-11-2014 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1587335943)
Test Mule #1 is still alive and well. :thumbs:

Side note, I took the car over to 510 Race Engineering in Tomball, TX because a friend is having them put a cam in his 2010 Camaro, and their tech commented that mine was the quietest LS7 valvetrain he had ever heard. :D

So now we know our valve train noise was the sodium rattling around in those hollow valves all along :lol:

:cheers:
DH

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ramairws6 (Post 1587337487)
Hahaha....this post couldn't be more spot on! :yesnod: :cheers:

Yes, it was. :thumbs: :cheers:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587337957)
This is based on what?

The propensity for human beings to talk.

And I don't think that you have ever asked me this question prior to now. :lol:

But attempting to hide results, be they good or bad, thinking that you are spiting someone else, ..... well that promises to be of huge service to this community and anyone contemplating which direction to choose in the management of this issue.

But those planning such an endeavor, can "spin" till they get dizzy, and spend their money doing it. If the valve won't properly handle heat, then what does it matter????

It was already pointed it out in a prior post.

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1587301588)
I don't understand why anyone wants to go to the expense of spin testing the dry, hollow stem, exhaust.

The stocker weighs in the mid 70-gram area. An 85-g valve is going to need more spring pressure or a change in the cam profile to control–maybe not much of a change–but the difference could be enough to push valve motion to the limits of stability at the engine's rev limit.

Another issue I question about hollow-stem valves with no sodium in them. Whether the valve stem is metal, hollow-with-no-sodium or hollow-with-sodium filling, the stem is still the heat path from the valve head to the guide, to the head and then to the coolant.

With an "unfilled" or "dry" hollow stem valve, you replace metal with air which is a very poor conductor of heat compared to meta
l, so without sodium in the hollow stem, what are you doing to prevent the valve head from overheating?

Just so you know, the questions about heat dissipation with this valve are not going to go away. Others will want to know, and really should know. Why you are attempting to discouraging people from asking questions with regard to that, well, I don't want to say that you have an agenda, but it would seem so.

What is it that you don't want them to know about the heat dissipating capabilities of that valve, using air to dissipate heat, and why don't you want them to know it???

Do you have any ideas for "testing" the heat dissipation capabilities of this valve? :big ears:

Because in light of the comments already made about it being hollow and using air vs metal, to aid in heat transfer from the head to the stem, unless you are gung ho for doing that kind of testing too, well then any testing you have planned only would tell part of the story.

That part that you want told.

ramairws6 07-11-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1587338005)
So now we know our valve train noise was the sodium rattling around in those hollow valves all along :lol:

DH

Great..... the secret is out :lol: :lol:

Dirty Howie 07-11-2014 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587337823)

Propain

I don't really think its realistic to think the data will remain confidential. Either someone like me will be allowed to participate knowing I have declared to share it with all or someone else will do it without being as forth coming. Or it will be obvious from ongoing discussions or actions taken by its participants.

For the record I am not opposed to the test or to the data. I actually have one of my track buddies running these valves and would pass on any results to him. :thumbs:

DH

Dirty Howie 07-11-2014 06:10 PM

Is there any type of test that is capable of comparing the heat dissapating cababilities of the different valves ????????

DH

propain 07-11-2014 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587338449)
The propensity for human beings to talk.

And I don't think that you have ever asked me this question prior to now. :lol:

But attempting to hide results, be they good or bad, thinking that you are spiting someone else, ..... well that promises to be of huge service to this community and anyone contemplating which direction to choose in the management of this issue.

But those planning such an endeavor, can "spin" till they get dizzy, and spend their money doing it. If the valve won't properly handle heat, then what does it matter????

It was already pointed it out in a prior post.

Just so you know, the questions about heat dissipation with this valve are not going to go away. Others will want to know, and really should know. Why you are attempting to discouraging people from asking questions with regard to that, well, I don't want to say that you have an agenda, but it would seem so.

What is it that you don't want them to know about the heat dissipating capabilities of that valve, using air to dissipate heat, and why don't you want them to know it???

Do you have any ideas for "testing" the heat dissipation capabilities of this valve? :big ears:

Because in light of the comments already made about it being hollow and using air vs metal, to aid in heat transfer from the head to the stem, unless you are gung ho for doing that kind of testing too, well then any testing you have planned only would tell part of the story.

That part that you want told.

:rofl:

Correct, they can talk all they like but until someone can substantiate the claim its meaningless. The idea that you think Hib's comment somehow hurts this valves use in the LS7 is laughable at best. If concrete results from Katech showing the SS valve being unstable at redline and its potential risks didn't keep people away from using it I am sure a comment with nothing to substantiate it wont deter anyone from this valve. Keep up the propaganda though Quick. I am increasingly amused by it.

By the way I am not silencing anything. This is more of your strawman style of debating. Please post your results and actually substantiate something you say on this forum for a change. I'm all ears and I eagerly await your findings. I look forward to it and welcome anything you can add other than quotes and links. :thumbs:

While your at it I will be waiting for your results with great anticipation on how the SS valve is able to handle the heat better than the OEM valve given the LS7 head was not designed to run with anything other than a sodium filled exhaust valve.

Amazing how this valve has been used in other applications for years without any reports that I could find of it not being able to dissipate the heat, but hey, maybe the LS7 head could be its Achilles heal.

When can I count on hearing something from you on both these valves? Or do you just intend to keep talking and quoting the same posts from Hib that you have about 10 times now? Is that all Quick has to offer the forum? :bigears:bigears

As far as the Data goes of course it will be distributed to the forum in some way after the results are collected. What is being done is protecting that data from trolls who obviously wish to discredit anything other than their personal agenda. When that can be accomplished I am sure all will agree to make it available to the public.

propain 07-11-2014 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1587338924)
Propain

I don't really think its realistic to think the data will remain confidential. Either someone like me will be allowed to participate knowing I have declared to share it with all or someone else will do it without being as forth coming. Or it will be obvious from ongoing discussions or actions taken by its participants.

For the record I am not opposed to the test or to the data. I actually have one of my track buddies running these valves and would pass on any results to him. :thumbs:

DH

Who says your donation will be accepted? :D

'06 Quicksilver Z06 07-11-2014 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1587338924)
Propain

DH

The subsequent demeanor, behavior, conversation and acts of known or suspected interested parties will give away any test results.

That's what makes any notion that they can be kept secret and not discussed absurd.

But they can spend their money trying.

propain 07-11-2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1587339158)
The subsequent demeanor, behavior, conversation and acts of known or suspected interested parties will give away any test results.

That's what makes any notion that they can be kept secret and not discussed absurd.

But they can spend their money trying.

Indeed. This is why its most likely going to be kept to a very small group of trusted individuals. :thumbs:

Dirty Howie 07-11-2014 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1587339156)
Who says your donation will be accepted? :D

That is exactly what I was referring to !!

But I figure you will put in a good word for me :lol: :cool:

DH

propain 07-11-2014 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1587339272)
That is exactly what I was referring to !!

But I figure you will put in a good word for me :lol: :cool:

DH

:rofl:

Guilt by association unfortunately.