CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Entry level Corvette Coupe to be unveiled next week? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3448405-entry-level-corvette-coupe-to-be-unveiled-next-week.html)

Jimbob26 04-07-2014 02:23 PM

Entry level Corvette Coupe to be unveiled next week?

Lots of speculation about the new iteration of the C7 to be unveiled at the NY auto show on 4/15. Motor Trend is speculating that the car will be a lower-priced entry level Corvette Coupe, slotted below the Stingray. It's said the car will have a fixed roof, smaller engine, and no carbon fiber, in addition to fewer features inside.

Has anyone heard about this? I'm not in the market, already owning a C7, but curious in that the current cost of the 'base' C7 is already a bargain, so if GM intends on offering an 'entry level' Corvette, I wonder if it means the prices of the Stingrays will increase to create a true gap between the models?:flag:

runutzzzzz 04-07-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob26 (Post 1586599256)
Lots of speculation about the new iteration of the C7 to be unveiled at the NY auto show on 4/15. Motor Trend is speculating that the car will be a lower-priced entry level Corvette Coupe, slotted below the Stingray. It's said the car will have a fixed roof, smaller engine, and no carbon fiber, in addition to fewer features inside.

Has anyone heard about this? I'm not in the market, already owning a C7, but curious in that the current cost of the 'base' C7 is already a bargain, so if GM intends on offering an 'entry level' Corvette, I wonder if it means the prices of the Stingrays will increase to create a true gap between the models?:flag:

Price has already increased :crazy:

I hope they don't come out with a cheaper Corvette, its like the Mustang with the C6, even though this is rumored to be a 5.3L V8. I think it would really hurts the Corvette name, not as bad as a V6 Mustang but...

Kracka 04-07-2014 02:27 PM

Interesting perspective. I doubt it, but you never know!

travisnd 04-07-2014 02:28 PM

I think it'll be the 2015 model car... based on the mules it wouldn't surprise me if the Z06 grill w/o the bar becomes standard.

Rob Willis 04-07-2014 02:32 PM

I don't think it will happen...

BUT, a true track version would be nice.

FLYNLO 04-07-2014 02:39 PM

Nope!! I know many of y'all think GM is stupid but they have already tried this and it didn't work. The FRC C5! The economies of scale just aren't there to merit doing this and the FRC proved it. They had to come out with the ZO6 to save the FRC. Anyway...gonna be interesting either way.

rsl2715 04-07-2014 02:41 PM

Hope that is not true,Will lower the status of the C-7's.Just when GM is trying to up the status to buyers like Porsche,MB.What they need to do is make a mini Corvette V6 $30,000 to$40000.This would get the kids started on Corvettes.GM please do not make a cheap Corvette that looks like the C-7.

onthebottom 04-07-2014 02:45 PM

With production at full capacity I'd think they'd want to build higher - not lower - margin cars....

HolyRoller 04-07-2014 02:52 PM

If Motor Trend says it, then that's exactly what it will NOT be.

lt4obsesses 04-07-2014 02:58 PM

My guess is, if anything, it's going to be the the C7 Grandsport, N/A LT1 with Z06 body panels, CCB brakes, Z07 option, and maybe an available 8 speed auto.

Or it will be a Z06 vert. One of these two.

If they were going to go with an "entry' level, which I highly doubt, I don't think it would be the 5.3L. I would think that they may be looking to expand the line up of the TTV6, and I really don't see Corvette being a candidate just yet.

ivanjo11 04-07-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob26 (Post 1586599256)

WHAT? an entry level C7 to compete with what?

The C7 does not need a cheap version of it i hope this is not true.

Corgidog1 04-07-2014 03:05 PM

IMHO this will cheapen the Corvette brand.

ny32182 04-07-2014 03:19 PM

I wouldn't want a smaller motor, but if they de-contented the interior and reduced price accordingly, that would be the one in my sights.

As far as a "new model", if it is truly something new, my money would be on GS version; they could get 10k in additional margin no problem.

FLYNLO 04-07-2014 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ny32182 (Post 1586599716)
I wouldn't want a smaller motor, but if they de-contented the interior and reduced price accordingly, that would be the one in my sights.

As far as a "new model", if it is truly something new, my money would be on GS version; they could get 10k in additional margin no problem.

A de contented car ain't gonna happen. My vote is on a ZO6 convertible. That would be crazy and would hurt my pocketbook!!!...;)

Mr Snappy! 04-07-2014 03:51 PM

Entry-level Corvette? They already have that, its called a CAMARO :toetap:

FLYNLO 04-07-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy! (Post 1586599969)
Entry-level Corvette? They already have that, its called a CAMARO :toetap:

:iagree::iagree:

jackhall99 04-07-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by FLYNLO (Post 1586599375)
Nope!! I know many of y'all think GM is stupid but they have already tried this and it didn't work. The FRC C5! The economies of scale just aren't there to merit doing this and the FRC proved it. They had to come out with the ZO6 to save the FRC. .... .

:iagree:

Those of us who have been around remember this marketing flop. I don't see them trying this at all. :cheers:

Jimbob26 04-07-2014 04:13 PM

I hope you are all correct - I also see this as cheapening the Corvette brand, when they have spent all this time to strengthen it. I would be nice to see the new iteration as a Z06 vert.

ny32182 04-07-2014 04:18 PM

"Fatmaro" has nothing in common with a Corvette except sometimes the motor. Some of us simply want a sports car with lots of power. Sports car means light weight, good handling, preferably 2 seats. The 1LT already has way more gizmos than I will ever use. I agree it won't happen, but, make it $45k without their attempt at a high dollar interior, and I bet I wouldn't be the only buyer. Camaros haven't interested me at all since the end of the F body.

BlueOx 04-07-2014 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by HolyRoller (Post 1586599489)
If Motor Trend says it, then that's exactly what it will NOT be.

:iagree:
They also said the C7 was gonna come with a V6, didn't they?