CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3438703-just-walked-away-after-3-months-of-waiting-over-995-a.html)

hawkgfr 03-20-2014 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs (Post 1586455957)
I am probably wrong, and thought it was $350. I just bought a 2014 last December and the amount was so small I did not pay attention to the amount.

It's 300, but when you add title/tag or transfer its close to 350 which is the number I always use that when I'm figuring deals in my head.

Virtual Geezer 03-20-2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by StingRaycer (Post 1586453602)
How quickly some dealers can forget the bad times they were experiencing only a few years ago. Then they were whining and crying for government bailouts which they got. Now, they are more fat and sassy with cars for sale that people want to buy.... and they turn back into the a......s they always were.

:iagree:

Chevy is feeling fat and sassy with the C7, as they should. However, their bread and butter sedan, the latest Malibu, is an epic fail. A family car that seriously lacks rear legroom -- how in hell did it ever get produced?? Have they never seen a Camry or Accord? This is indicative of the GM we all know and loathe.

texvette2 03-20-2014 10:39 PM

I have done pre trades. Mainly because wanted the car gone and not deal with it
while waiting for the new one. Maintenance, fees, something goes wrong.

I never had the word approx used on the MSRP. It alway was MSRP at time of
delivery less discount and trade value. Was also give the choice of a check for
the trade now or wait. I always waited because better on taxes.

Stingray-74 03-20-2014 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Motohead279 (Post 1586453714)
Go talk to the guys over at Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City off of I4, that's where I got mine. No above MSRP BS, and my transaction was smooth sailing. I was at the cars and coffee at DuPont a few months ago and Maher had a new C7 convertible there. The salesman was talking to a few people about it, and the window sticker had a "$5000 market adjustment" on it. So I start talking pretty loudly to my friend that I bought mine at Stingray and they are not jacking the prices. The salesman turned around and gave me the evil eye. :D

I got my C7 at Stingray at MSRP and they treated me very well. Take your business there. I tired a local dealer in Orlando and received bad information.

Aflyer 03-20-2014 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by T_Bone (Post 1586455187)
I say decent loosely based on low expectations. They paid the lien and I ate the rest figuring no payments for 3 months breaking even. They gave me low ball KBB. They made money on the trade. I traded instead of selling it myself to negate the sales tax. In retrospect I should've at least tested the market and you can bet that'll be the last time I pretrade. I learned the term de-horsing on this forum shortly after I did the trade.

The MSRP on the buyers order is $62895 and as I recall that was accurate for Black Z51 coupe 3LT Red Calipers and black wheels at that time.

And now the vette gods are mocking me. I never see C7s out my way and just saw a yellow coupe drive by while walking my dog. :(

t-bone,
It does sound like a painful experience to be going through, and only you can decide the best outcome.

IMHO you should try going back to the dealer with your contract in hand and try to finish this deal.
Ask for the owner to explain the "estimate" part. If you have an order anything like mine it comes right from the Chevrolet site with prices, so no room for estimates.

The MSRP you quoted above does seem low to me, but maybe no Mag Ride or performance exhaust would put you in that ballpark.

As others have stated you have three months invested in this deal, the Corvette price increase to absorb if you go to another dealer, and the confusion over what they actually are giving you for the Porsche.

Take the threat of the BBB with you and best of luck working out the deal.

3 Z06ZR1 03-20-2014 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by gcooper (Post 1586457247)
t-bone,
It does sound like a painful experience to be going through, and only you can decide the best outcome.

IMHO you should try going back to the dealer with your contract in hand and try to finish this deal.
Ask for the owner to explain the "estimate" part. If you have an order anything like mine it comes right from the Chevrolet site with prices, so no room for estimates.

The MSRP you quoted above does seem low to me, but maybe no Mag Ride or performance exhaust would put you in that ballpark.

As others have stated you have three months invested in this deal, the Corvette price increase to absorb if you go to another dealer, and the confusion over what they actually are giving you for the Porsche.

Take the threat of the BBB with you and best of luck working out the deal.

:iagree: Forget the threats! Tell them you will give them a good rating too! Try to just get it done.

JerryU 03-20-2014 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1586453442)
Lessons learned

1) NEVER do a pre-trade. EVER

2) Ask the dealer to point out in the sales contract where it says that MSRP is an approximation

3) Report the dealer to your local BBB

4) Never deal with those aholes again

:iagree: I just signed the BBB rather long application and they have a detailed code of ethics you must agree to and sign you will meet to remain accredited.. Picked out these statements. Don’t think they have met them. They would not like the black mark on being an accredited business. I would write to them, they have regional locations. Ours covers 5 or 6 counties.
Build Trust
Establish and maintain a positive track record in the marketplace.
• Participate in and honor settlements, agreements or decisions reached as an outcome of a BBB dispute resolution process.
Advertise Honestly
Adhere to established standards of advertising and selling.
Tell the Truth
Honestly represent products and services, including clear and adequate disclosures of all material terms.
Honor Promises
Abide by all written agreements and verbal representations.
• Make good faith efforts to resolve all complaints in accordance with generally accepted good business practices.
Be Responsive
Address marketplace disputes quickly, professionally, and in good faith.
• Respond to any complaint forwarded by the BBB within fifteen days and agree to participate in mediation if requested.
• Make an effort to eliminate the underlying cause of any patters or trends of customer complaints.
the BBB where your company is headquartered, if different.
Approach all business dealings, marketplace transactions and commitments with integrity.
• A company’s public image or reputation shall not
unfavorably affect public opinion of the BBB, its objectives, or its BBB Accredited Businesses

Motohead279 03-21-2014 12:19 AM

I don't get the MSRP estimate... You can know the exact price of the car when you build and order it. Where does the estimate come from?

Motohead279 03-21-2014 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by MikeMaj82 (Post 1586455168)
Said every Republican ever.

I've never even heard of a pre-trade. That sounds the same as selling your car privately, handing over the keys, and not getting a check from then until later on..

When in bought my Panamera back in 2011 I traded in my Gallardo. They wanted the Gallardo before the Panamera came in because they didn't want any more miles on it either for auction or for sale.

thedofuss 03-21-2014 12:35 AM

so, what did your agreement actually say? did it say it was an approximation?

Gr8ful 03-21-2014 12:54 AM

Look for low mileage preowned. Sounds like the one you ordered is not an option at this point. Maybe you could find a Z51 that has been on the dealers lot since before the price increase.
Just some suggestion.
Do report the bad dealer to all that you can.
Good hunting.

T_Bone 03-21-2014 05:59 AM

At the extreme urging of my better half, I'll put my tail between my legs and try to salvage this mess. I'll post back when it's finalized one way or another. I'd like to thank those who provided sound advice on this fiasco.

C7Joy 03-21-2014 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by quick04Z06 (Post 1586453564)
T-Bone, the good news is thanks to the internet and forums like this one, dealers who pull this sh*t will lose lots of business from the enthusiast market.

This is true, as is the reverse. I think a lot of good, honest dealers have done well with the praise they receive on this forum. Clearly, my participation on this forum led me to the MacMulkin dealership. :thumbs:

nh_mark 03-21-2014 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ATX-C7 (Post 1586455791)
Oh lord--it was SO nice here for a few days. The birds sang louder, the flowers smelled fresher...it was all a dream. Here we go again...

:rofl:

LEJ ZO6 03-21-2014 07:57 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ong-sorry.html

Ferman - Brandon

ospreycorvette 03-21-2014 08:21 AM

Elon Musk is correct, dealers are terrible, we are not talking service, just sales. I hate it every time.

Harry2 03-21-2014 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by T_Bone (Post 1586458247)
At the extreme urging of my better half, I'll put my tail between my legs and try to salvage this mess. I'll post back when it's finalized one way or another. I'd like to thank those who provided sound advice on this fiasco.

Wise decision, good luck, be polite during the negotiations, and let us know how it turns out.

kp 03-21-2014 10:49 AM

I'll be in the minority and say sound advice from your better half.

If they are trying to jack you for an extra 995 that is crappy for sure and I would avoid them like the plague once the deal is over if thats the case. But losing the tax credit on your trade and having to pay 3200 more if you cant find any pre-price increase inventory cars you want seems like a bad move to me. Especially since the exact car you ordered is almost there.

I may have missed it but is the actual msrp minus the 3200 increase more than you original quote? 995 is an odd number, maybe destination wasnt figured in the original msrp.

~Stingray 03-21-2014 10:49 AM

I agree that you should try to salvage it, but don't just tuck your tail and take it. Thats what they want if they can do it to you they will do it to others.

MSRP are not approximations, they are exact. So that doesn't make any sense. But read the contract well to make sure its in there. If it is hand written is there a date or your signature next too it? Do you have a copy of the contract because anyone can write something on paper after you sign it. That could easily make a case with that, either in discussing it with the manager or legal aid.

If after all your efforts, they won't come down or give you more on your trade, than I would get the car, because it saves you money in the long run, but don't tell them that is why you are doing it. Then call Chevy customer service, maybe try to reach the owner for the dealership, BBB, and if you are still upset, talk to legal and see if you have case. But only do that if a discussion is free, because you could end up paying a lot just to discuss.

AORoads 03-21-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by T_Bone (Post 1586453979)
There is something handwritten that looks to me like Apr02 but apparently is aprox.

I guess that's on me for not questioning it but still... Dirty in my book.

Forget the advice about never pre-trading because if you waited they would have zinged you on that, too. As to this getting wide publicity among the enthusiast crowd, doubtful but one can only hope. I would, however, report them to Chevrolet in writing, and call and complain and do everything possible. Unfortunately, not only did they deal poorly, but you did as well with that "Apr02" thing on your contract----understandable to miss it, but still, it is their "out," and gotcha.

As to your choices/alternatives, depending on how you feel about it, there are forum dealers and I might give them a try. I might also wait for the '15s since it's relatively close which also gives you time to "heal" over the way you were treated. I'd then suggest you strike up a conversation if only over the phone with some Forum dealer for later on.

This is brave of you to tell your story because many would just slink away and not do it. I applaud you and wish you well.

Edit: just read about your proposed working it out with Maher. IMO, bad advice no matter how well intended. This rewards bad behavior and makes it easier to do the next time, to you or someone else. It was not a mistake or "misspeak"---it was intentional. Money or sorry doesn't count. You decide.