CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Blow dry your C7 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3415503-blow-dry-your-c7.html)

rsl2715 02-05-2014 11:57 AM

Blow dry your C7

Just picked up my TR-Z51 last week,when it comes time for the first bath.It will be done by me by hand. Picked up a good idea on line how to dry your car.They said use a electric grass blower highest blowing power goes for about 100 dollars,you know the stores.DO NOT USE A GAS BLOWER.I believe this is a very good idea,will get those places a towel never gets.R

H2LS3 02-05-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rsl2715 (Post 1586096688)
Just picked up my TR-Z51 last week,when it comes time for the first bath.It will be done by me by hand. Picked up a good idea on line how to dry your car.They said use a electric grass blower highest blowing power goes for about 100 dollars,you know the stores.DO NOT USE A GAS BLOWER.I believe this is a very good idea,will get those places a towel never gets.R

Electric leaf blowers work good, but if you want to take it a step further check out the master blaster.

Heats and filters the air too.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...er-p-4006.html

:cheers:

Glen e 02-05-2014 12:04 PM

Make sure you get the blowers with an intake filter, otherwise you blow stuff in the air right into your paint. I use a black and decker cordless . Final wipe is with a waffle weave towel, straight from dryer, made for drying.never scratched in 10 years.

rotherd31 02-05-2014 12:04 PM

I'll just use my Master-Blaster with twin 4hp motors, for the wheels, vents and t-light trim.

KenHorse 02-05-2014 12:04 PM

I have a Master Blaster and it works very well :thumbs:

jman1151 02-05-2014 12:09 PM

Please explain why no gas blower???

1BAD-LS1 02-05-2014 12:10 PM

I ONLY dry my cars with an electric leaf blower. The more you put towels on the paint the more micro/fine swirls and scratches you will introduce into the clear coat. Especially bad in darker color cars. Also be sure to pre soak using a foam gun and then wash with the 2 bucket method. If and when you use towels, always use clean and tested ones, I always keep a few new computer CD's lying in my garage for the CD test. Mist the CD with detail spray and wipe with the towel. If the towel scratches the surface of the CD it does not get used on the car and is then relegated to interior and under hood clean up. I personally keep about 200 micro fiber towels on hand and store in plastic totes labeled clean and dirty. Wash with only liquid laundry soap and air dry - never put in the dryer with fabric softener. Good luck with the new Stingray!

1BAD-LS1 02-05-2014 12:11 PM

Gas can throw oil and film onto the paint.

georgied 02-05-2014 12:14 PM

I use an Air Shammey that I got for my motorcycles. Works great and it's quite a bit cheaper than some of the others. http://www.airshammy.com/

ChucksZ06 02-05-2014 12:14 PM

I ONLY dry my cars with an electric leaf blower. The more you put towels on the paint the more micro/fine swirls and scratches you will introduce into the clear coat. Especially bad in darker color cars. Also be sure to pre soak using a foam gun and then wash with the 2 bucket method. If and when you use towels, always use clean and tested ones, I always keep a few new computer CD's lying in my garage for the CD test. Mist the CD with detail spray and wipe with the towel. If the towel scratches the surface of the CD it does not get used on the car and is then relegated to interior and under hood clean up. I personally keep about 200 micro fiber towels on hand and store in plastic totes labeled clean and dirty. Wash with only liquid laundry soap and air dry - never put in the dryer with fabric softener. Good luck with the new Stingray!
You have it right sir. Rubbing and scrubbing on that clear coat is not a good idea...once you scratch it you have to wax it. Our washing and waxing methodology is stuck in pre clear coat times.

WKMCD 02-05-2014 12:16 PM

I dry mine ONLY with a chamois made from the belly hide of unicorns. :thumbs:

I spray detailing spray on the drying car and dry it using a micro fiber and the mix of water and detain spray. Works well.

sahowley 02-05-2014 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by H2LS3 (Post 1586096738)
Electric leaf blowers work good, but if you want to take it a step further check out the master blaster.

I have a master blaster. It is awesome!!! Car is dried with zero spotting in like 10 min!!! No towels to wash no scratching. I use it inside to blow out dust and dirt since I ride with my windows down 99% of the time. I would suggest getting one.

MikeK 02-05-2014 01:06 PM

I've been using an electric Toro blower/vac for maybe 25-30 years. Great for an initial (you want to leave some spotlets on the windows and body to wipe off any spotting or streaking) drying and a final at the door handles, license plates, mirrors, or any place that water migrates to before it drys. Absolutely great for wheels. Corvette owners have been doing this for years since most of us are so anal!

Buzzardz_vette 02-05-2014 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by H2LS3 (Post 1586096738)

On sale at Best Buy for $285.

khoeysr 02-05-2014 02:08 PM

Master Blaster. I swear by it.

The Electrolux lives on! :rock:

c6miller 02-05-2014 03:04 PM

I use my Echo gas blower and never had a problem and no need to worry about an electrical cord. I hold the tip with one hand and the other the blower. In one minute I get the wheels, mirrors, taillights and most of the water off the car then finish with Griot's yellow drying towel(they are great).

Apocolips 02-05-2014 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1586096753)
Make sure you get the blowers with an intake filter, otherwise you blow stuff in the air right into your paint. I use a black and decker cordless . Final wipe is with a waffle weave towel, straight from dryer, made for drying.never scratched in 10 years.

Where do you find an electric leaf blower with an intake filter?

gkwpnut 02-05-2014 03:13 PM

blow dry

Originally Posted by c6miller (Post 1586098260)
I use my Echo gas blower and never had a problem and no need to worry about an electrical cord. I hold the tip with one hand and the other the blower. In one minute I get the wheels, mirrors, taillights and most of the water off the car then finish with Griot's yellow drying towel(they are great).

+1 exact same way it must be a Ga. thing

Glenmcp 02-05-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by c6miller (Post 1586098260)

:iagree:
The exact same thing I do. I leave a little water on so that the towel does not touch the car dry.

Hebstar11 02-05-2014 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1586097305)
...since most of us are so anal!

:lol: Yeah. People have said that about me.