CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Don't even want to drive it (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3411558-dont-even-want-to-drive-it.html)

Wayne O 01-28-2014 11:48 PM

Nice car and I'm sorry about the ding. In the grand scheme of things the little ding can be repaired. I can sympathize with how you feel but IMO it's not that big of a deal....it could have been much worse. Look to the bright side. :)

Gary '09 C6 01-29-2014 12:27 AM

aggravating for sure, but you'll get it fixed and you should keep driving it. That's why you had it re-built after the crash...

the car does look very good :thumbs:

Boba Fett 01-29-2014 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by PatriotZ (Post 1586038413)
:iagree: Lisa is right on.....you guys that are afraid or "do not let your wife drive the Vette" are pretty obviously a pretty self centered group and for people who value their cars over humans are something else indeed
..........sorry about your car....and sorry for your wife... but if you are/have spent that much to make it look like a "Z"....then fix it and get on with it.....and hopefully come up to the current year instead of the 1900's....:flag:
hmmm this sounds like adding insult to injury for sure....

so for those of us that don't let our wives drive the vette-are self centered and value our cars over humans..? please elaborate...

Originally Posted by Jim2003 (Post 1586039124)
You won't like my response. Relationships are much more important than things. To put more value on a car over your wife is absolutely insane. She did nothing wrong. If you drive a car things will happen. If you don't want things to happen make a bait garage, park the car, then go look at each day and say how wonderful you and the car are.

again-please explain how the op values his car over his wife because Im just not getting that...

Jeff-Ford 01-29-2014 02:13 AM

OP has had a bad run of luck recently (side swiped by a truck and messed up himself an his car I think, blown up air boat, blown motor in truck) and has rolled with it pretty damn good to this point. The added aggravation due to some ones total disrespect of other peoples property just raised the stress bar. Im sure OP loves the wife and just needed to vent.

To OP......It just gotta get better from this point on. Heres to you :cheers:

Moose_44 01-29-2014 02:26 AM

Car looks great in the pics. How were the Super Vette body panels? Any issue with fittment? Was talking with my buddy the other day about doing this to mine. I have just heard horror stories about after market body panels not fitting correctly without a great body shop and lots of $$. Yours looks great though!Sorry about the ding, hopefully you can get it fixed.

Crowhater 01-29-2014 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Moose_44 (Post 1586039955)
Car looks great in the pics. How were the Super Vette body panels? Any issue with fittment? Was talking with my buddy the other day about doing this to mine. I have just heard horror stories about after market body panels not fitting correctly without a great body shop and lots of $$. Yours looks great though!Sorry about the ding, hopefully you can get it fixed.

As with any aftermarket body kit you will have to do some fine tuning to get everything perfect but the kit fit very well and I was more than pleased. My body shop had no complaints and said it was one of the best kits they had ever received.

As for the ding and other things I take it all in stride. I have always burned the fuse at both ends and it catches up with you. Two knee surgeries, two shoulder surgeries, eight eye surgeries on the right eye 20/40 vision in it, one minor heart attack, and many broke bones, now my lower back, left hip. After all of that and the wreck I just survived I know the big man upstairs is watching out for me, he just test me from time to time to make sure I don't forget the important stuff like family and friends. I have always had a bad habit of pushing the limit, focusing on the wrong things to hard like work or toys. I told my wife that when duck season ended last weekend that the airboat was going to be sold along with the Argo 8x8. These are toys that took me away from my family so I will buy a big slow pontoon boat and spend time on the lake with the family this summer.

PatriotZ 01-29-2014 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 1586039888)
so for those of us that don't let our wives drive the vette-are self centered and value our cars over humans..? please elaborate...

again-please explain how the op values his car over his wife because Im just not getting that...

If you can't figure it out by the responses...then no sense beating a dead horse over it.....:flag:

Don-Vette 01-29-2014 06:12 AM

It was an accident,people open their car doors carelessly,I always park farther away,nobody is in that much of a hurry,walking is good for you and I need the exercise. :D

Hope it turns out ok for you OP. I would venture to say..."lesson learned"

c6vette142dude 01-29-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain (Post 1586039189)
Good point. Some people who have posted here who are saying it's just a car are full of s**t, then why the hell are they on a message board for "just a car". I'm sure they're not on a message board for their dodge stratus. You have the right to be upset because it's costing you and your wife more money to fix it and time too.
The people pointing the finger at you for being some sort of monster must be a spineless b**ch in their relationship and their wife probably uses a strap on, on them.
You are dead on with the duck hunting comparison too.
Congrats on standing up for yourself. It must suck to be such cowards like the ones insulting you. Theirs nothing wrong with keeping something in nice shape.

I think that most here are just trying to say 'keep in it perspective'. If she was injured or hurt, the thread title would read differently. Gladly, that's not the case. If he didn't want folks input, then why post the thread in the first place??

I wonder,.. if the OP had taken out his wife's truck and brought it back with a ding in it.... if her reaction would be the same??

Joe B. 01-29-2014 08:56 AM

Must be an awful lot of guys on happy pills or can't read.
You requested she park away from other cars.
She didn't.
The car is now damaged.
That said, she actually admitted to parking right in front?
Something fishy.

EBvette02 01-29-2014 08:56 AM

That is one beautiful car. Really show condition. Its sad that you probably never enjoy driving it. Dude, apologize to your wife. It wasn't her fault, and I'm willing to bet she has been in tears over it. Ask yourself which you would rather have, the wife or the car.

Awww. Just reread where you said you told her to park away from the other cars and she admitted she didn't. Let the beatings begin, jk. I think she might have just lost her Corvette driving privilege. Did she apologize to you?

NormWild 01-29-2014 09:09 AM

I'm with Crow, ridiculous the people on here saying its not your wife's fault, she did not ding the door, but it is partially her fault because, being lazy, she parked up front, in between cars, against your instruction, and the car got hit. I would be equally mad. No different than if she left her purse on the front seat and someone smashed the window to get at it, or if she left the car unlocked and some took stuff out of it.

Replace the word "wife" with the word "son", how many people would be like, "Ohhh its OK Johny, don't worry, not your fault, its just a car."

veloz 01-29-2014 10:00 AM

yup.... been there a few times...and after screaming at my wife, the crying spells, the you love that car more than me, the i cant believe you say that to her...blah blah blah....the car was fixed and we went on with our lives....all that is now its just a piece of history in my life which i learned how to react to.....like mentioned before,,,is just a car that unless it is a trailer queen, you will have these issues...some ppl out there just dont care...even if you park it far away....yes maybe she should have taken more precautions,,,so what..it could have happened to you too....i'd say fix it and go on...take advantage of the situation,,,get it fixed then go out and celebrate with your wife....let her do a couple of burnouts,,,get over the new car smell and enjoy the car.......there are more impt things in life..

HyperX 01-29-2014 10:12 AM

When I bought my Z06, first thing I did was take a screw driver to the side of the door so I never have to worry about scratches again....

owc6 01-29-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by NormWild (Post 1586040980)
Replace the word "wife" with the word "son", how many people would be like, "Ohhh its OK Johny, don't worry, not your fault, its just a car."

This argument will never fly! There is NO comparison between a spouse and a child.

NormWild 01-29-2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1586041597)
This argument will never fly! There is NO comparison between a spouse and a child.

So its OK for your wife to do dumb stuff, I see. Just like when I do dumb stuff I'm held completely unaccountable and immediately forgiven. Give me a break.

He had every right to be mad, but you also have the obligation to not over react, get over it quickly, move on and get it fixed. My wife doesn't drive my vette for the same reason, too much stress. So I bought her a Z4 to trash all on her own.:thumbs:

LooseScrew 01-29-2014 11:00 AM

The fact that you 'don't even want to drive it' speaks volumes. You care more about how others perceive your car than you do. A ding on your door and you don't want to drive it? Pretty sad. :cry

hig4s 01-29-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller (Post 1586034294)
Shouldn't they put something in the paint to make it more flexible on a plastic car?

" Flex Additives Prevent Headaches
“Flexibilizing” the paint coat- ings is a good safety step. Some coatings manufacturers call for flex additives in the primer, sealer, color and clear. Others call for flex additive only in certain products.

While it’s certainly true that today’s urethane coatings are hundreds of times more flexible than lacquer paints, additional flex additives can still help to prevent future problems. In days of yore, flex additives (elastomeric coatings) didn’t stay in the film very long and were largely used to keep the paint intact while the part was bent and twisted during installation.

Today’s flex additives stay within the paint film for much longer and can help to prevent cracking and chipping when the bumper cover is flexed by contact with a shopping cart or a parking meter.

Remember that the factory paint finish on plastic parts had significant elastomeric value; make sure your system of refinishing has just as much. Your repair is only as flexible as the weakest coating. The topcoat clear may flex 90 degrees without cracking, but if the primer cracks at 30 degrees flex, you’ll still be redoing the job.

Force-Drying Plastic
One last caution as a result of my plastic refinishing interviews: Be very careful when force-drying plastic parts. Cranking up the heat light or the oven to high temperatures to speed the cure of the paint can cause adhesion problems on plastic. I’m not saying that you can’t force-dry paint on plastic parts. I’m just saying to be careful and to err on the cool side rather than on the holy-crap-hot side."

from http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/arti...g_plastic.aspx

ATC399 01-29-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by HyperX (Post 1586041522)
When I bought my Z06, first thing I did was take a screw driver to the side of the door so I never have to worry about scratches again....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rof l:

GOLD72 01-29-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1586034234)
I totally understand your feelings. Please don't be too hard on your wife. She did not ding the door, some a$$hat did. Did you ask her to be careful where she parks?

Remember : If Momma ain't happy nobody's happy. :D

The paint can be fixed easier than a mad wife. :yesnod:

:iagree: