CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3408630-finally-got-rid-of-the-c7s-hideous-grille.html)

senah 01-23-2014 01:36 PM

luvinmyc7, your most recent photos show it in a much more attractive light. also, it is easy to take photos too close, which is a mistake that is made a lot in c7 photos imo, and being a reasonable distance from it like the last one looks better.

I'd put that grille on in a heartbeat. my first impression when I saw it was long distance high speed.

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 01:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585991489)
I had my chrome bar blacked out with PlastiDip as well. It did look MUCH better, in my opinion, than the stock grille with the chrome strip. I was much happier with it blacked out, but after seeing the Sema cars, I fell in love with the look of a one piece grille and decided to make the change. Felt it was a cleaner look without all the cross bars and more consistent with my own personal car. i LOVE the look of the C7, but have always felt that the rear of the C7 is very edgy and aggressive in appearance and flows well into the side lines of the car, but front nose is much more subtle with rounder edges and lacks a little bit of the aggressiveness the rest of the car has. So this was my personal way of adding a little more aggression to the front of the car to tie in with the other mods I've made.

Before and after photos below.

Took a new After photo from a more similar angle and a little more comparable lighting (the shadows are almost the same)

And added the new photos from the first page for anyone that didn't go back to see the revised photos. I realized that since most of my pictures are taken indoors, my exposure setting was set very high, which is horrible for outdoor photos and didn't really capture what it looks like in person. I reset the exposure back to zero and retook some photos and they are much more reflective of the actual color and look.

Again, not trying to sell anybody on it, just figured for, all two of you that actually do like it, LOL, I'd post photos that are more accurate.

Glen e 01-23-2014 01:40 PM

You're still defensive...don't be, it's a nice mod.....does not fit for me, but very viable and quality looking....

LEAVINU 01-23-2014 01:41 PM

The chrome piece is horrendous in my opinion so I like your attempt to eliminate it. :thumbs: Blacking out the chrome piece isn't a bad option though if one wants the factory look.

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by B Stead (Post 1585994687)
I would be looking for a grill that's not so obvious. In other words it wouldn't be tightly woven, wouldn't have thick elements, and wouldn't be polished. I would want stainless-steel or titanium

The photos do make it look a little more tightly woven than it really is. Any angle with the camera is going to give it that effect. I said the same thing when I ordered, that I wanted the widest mesh possible. I'm glad it is what it is. Any wider weave than it is and you'd start to be able to see everything that's behind the grille too easily. Personally, I think I'm at the limit on how wide I can go.

And RaceMesh does offer all different types of colors/finishes. Stainless, chrome, black, black chrome, etc, and probably could customize with other finishes as well. If you've got an idea, just call them with it. They were great to work with and produced exactly what I requested.

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585994835)
You're still defensive...don't be, it's a nice mod.....does not fit for me, but very viable and quality looking....

LOL, I know. This thread made me realize how sensitive some people are and how one single missed word (or added word) can cause a harmless comment to be taken in an offensive manner. So I'm trying to write more carefully!! Walkin on eggshells!! LOL. It's all good. I used to drive race cars, so I remember what it was like to be talked about on message boards!! :smash:

AORoads 01-23-2014 02:19 PM

after looking at the second set of pics, I do like it better. I also have a feeling that this mod doesn't photograph well and that it most likely looks better in person where one can see, and not see, some things.

it's a worthy attempt even if some won't ever do it. as the saying goes, it's your car and as long as you like it....:cheers:

hotrod2147 01-23-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585994817)
Took a new After photo from a more similar angle and a little more comparable lighting (the shadows are almost the same)

And added the new photos from the first page for anyone that didn't go back to see the revised photos. I realized that since most of my pictures are taken indoors, my exposure setting was set very high, which is horrible for outdoor photos and didn't really capture what it looks like in person. I reset the exposure back to zero and retook some photos and they are much more reflective of the actual color and look.

Again, not trying to sell anybody on it, just figured for, all two of you that actually do like it, LOL, I'd post photos that are more accurate.

Much better.I actually like it now :thumbs:

690 HP V 01-23-2014 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by khoeysr (Post 1585987204)
Perhaps the title of this thread should have been "Check out my grille".

Although I can't speak for everyone, I am sure that many others besides me do not consider that the C7s grille is hideous.

Good for you. I will retain "hideous".

He said "retain", lol. It does look pretty orthodontic.

Chip on shoulder much?

bdevault01 01-23-2014 02:40 PM

I think you did a great job on it, and I do like it because it's different. I think that it's lacking something though...

I bet Chevrolet's first drawing of that car had that huge opening in it like yours. But that horizontal bar in the factory car does break up the space and accentuates the lines of the nose of the car. I think they could have done better than making it in chrome though.

Your's kinda looks like a whale with it's huge mouth open. Which is kinda cool in a way because translated to the car world it looks like a huge air intake port.

Maybe if yours had a bead rolled in it all the way across in the place where the factory bar goes across the grill?

jr3 01-23-2014 02:47 PM

There is also a new C7 grill being made (With NO Chrome mouth brace).

Its the new Z06 style grill.

Don't know when it may be available for order. Or if it will fit the regular Stingray model or just the Z06... If both models share the same grill opening it could be an easy switch if both mount up the same.

Here's a pic below of the unpainted part which still has to be painted Carbon Flash...

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/d.../image-134.jpg

http://wardsauto.com/site-files/ward...%20quarter.jpg

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1585995195)
after looking at the second set of pics, I do like it better. I also have a feeling that this mod doesn't photograph well and that it most likely looks better in person where one can see, and not see, some things.

Agree completely. Honestly I feel that way about the whole car. It's a tough car to photograph well. If you get the right shots, it looks amazing, but from other angles, not so much. When it first came out and the photos that were presented, I wasn't convinced that I would like it based on the photos. I knew I loved Corvette's and really wanted to like, just couldn't get there on the early photos alone. When the Auto Show rolled into town, I went there solely for the purpose of seeing the new C7 back in October. Once I saw it, it took me all of 30 seconds to say "Wow, OK, I'm sold". I left immediately and headed straight to the dealer and placed my order!

The car as a whole does look so much better in person. And I feel the same way about the grille and some of the other mods as well. I got closer with the new photos, but to me, it still looks much better in person. While it can be done, as many on here have, it's still tough to capture the true beauty of the Vette in photos.

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jr3 (Post 1585995443)

Don't know when it may be available for order. Or if it will fit the regular Stingray model or just the Z06... If both models share the same grill opening it could be an easy switch if both mount up the same.

I like the new Z06 grille. I've always felt the C7 has a VERY wide grille opening, so I like how the air vents built-in to the grille break that up some. I'm not sure if I like the mesh they've used though. Will have to reserve final judgement until I can see it in person.

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585990675)

Oh man, just opened the link, that's funny! Reminds me of when I was 17 years old. My girlfriend wanted a bra for her BMW. I finally found one and called her to tell her I got it. Her Dad answered the phone and said she wasn't home at the time, I said "OK, no problem, just tell her that I have her bra". Needless to say, that didn't go over well!!!!

Z0Sick6 01-23-2014 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585996159)
Oh man, just opened the link, that's funny! Reminds me of when I was 17 years old. My girlfriend wanted a bra for her BMW. I finally found one and called her to tell her I got it. Her Dad answered the phone and said she wasn't home at the time, I said "OK, no problem, just tell her that I have her bra". Needless to say, that didn't go over well!!!!

Hi Luvn - I sent you a PM wondering what your wheels are and size? And are they glossy or matte.. can't tell from my monitor.

Thanks man!

diesel225 01-23-2014 04:37 PM

I like it not sure why people like the reg grill truly the grill is the only thing i don't like about the car so i will be doing this first. your grill looks more open and that is the look I'm going for on mine.

diesel225 01-23-2014 04:52 PM

what front spoiler did you use.

Captain Richard 01-23-2014 05:03 PM

I love it, man. I think it looks badass. Mind sharing what the cost was?

Also, BECAUSE RACECAR.

~Stingray 01-23-2014 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585996159)

Best story ever.

Theta 01-23-2014 05:20 PM

Here's a pic below of the unpainted part which still has to be painted Carbon Flash...

How might one come about procuring one of these? Is this your picture/part?

vt65 01-23-2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585991332)
Here you go.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...lle-front4.jpg

it's much cleaner looking!

VETJAZZ 01-23-2014 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by FrancisDGarcia (Post 1585987207)
Sorry, but, I like the factory one better.

I also have to agree.

KM1959 01-23-2014 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1585990667)
OT: I keep bouncing between white and red. Damn that looks good. :rock:

Red. A bunch of us saw them both in person parked next to each other. One of us didn't realize the white one was there.

v8capt 01-23-2014 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585987240)
I like mine better no Chrome but then again different strokes for different folks...

I also have a Harley with lots of chrome, it looks good to me.

themonk 01-23-2014 06:48 PM

Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!!

no you didn't.

post-it 01-23-2014 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585997489)
no you didn't.

My thoughts exactly!

exaf86 01-23-2014 07:59 PM

I think it looks AWESOME!!! :rock:

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 08:08 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Getting a lot of requests from people asking about different items on the car, so decided to create a list for anyone interested. Each item in the list below is linked to the vendor website.....Added a few photos as well. I know a lot of people don't like black wheels, but found a few old photos (see last two). Apparently I've been on the black wheel craze since 2001!!

Wheels - Forgiato F2.01, 20x8.5 front with 245/30/20 Michelin PSS, but I would go with a 255 instead. 21x10.5 rear with 295/25/21 Michelen PSS. Wheels are all finished in Gloss Black
Forum Vendor Gerry at Wheel$forLe$$ took care of the complete set for me.

Grille was done by RaceMesh and they are now offering it on their website. Mine was finished with flat/satin black mesh and stock Carbon Metallic Frame.

Front Splitter is from RPI designs and is painted in Carbon Metallic to match the vents on the car.

Side Skirts are also from RPI designs and are painted in Carbon Metallic to match the vents on the car. These are the Stage I side skirts that contour with the flow of the body. They have more aggressive Stage II skirts out that go straight all the way back. I preferred the Stage I contoured ones. They almost look like they were factory installed on the car.

Windows Tinted - Your own local tint shop or a mobile one. I went with 35%. 20% looks better, but is more difficult to see out of at night, so I went with the lighter tint.

Car Lowered - About a half hour of your own manual labor. Factory Lowering bolts were bottomed out. Check the DIY section of the C7 General Discussion thread. Another forum member (jagamajajaran) posted very detailed instructions on how to adjust the factory bolts. This paragraph is linked to that thread.

Oh yeah, and removed the fish from the side fenders!! That was more of a pain in the rear than removing the nose for the grille!! That 3M tape does not come off easy. Hair dryer, dental floss or fishing line to cut them off and then some good old fashioned elbow grease to get the 3M tape off. Different people recommend different liquids to aid in this. There are several Youtube videos out there with instructions if you search for REMOVE EMBLEMS.

Thanks to all of the above for their awesome work!

Gee, I feel like a Nascar driver thanking all of my sponsors at the year end awards banquet. So I guess I better add the most important thank you that I included at my first awards banquet speech when I started racing.....

"And last but not least, I'd like to thank myself and my checkbook, for without it, none of this would have been possible!!!"

Glen e 01-23-2014 08:14 PM

you forgot you also got rid of the fish (kudos for that)

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585998162)

Thank you for the reminder!! :yesnod: Corrected the thread. That was the first thing I did when I pulled it into the garage after getting home from the dealer!!

GordyRay 01-23-2014 09:16 PM

Looks Great

I like the new front, much cleaner, good work.
:thumbs:

go4kj 01-23-2014 09:52 PM

Looks good. Chrome on the front looks hideous. That will be the first thing I do when I get mine. No chrome for me :nono::nono:

Carnut12 01-23-2014 09:57 PM

MUCH better than stock IMO

Well done!!!

Joe B. 01-23-2014 10:00 PM

I like it. It's bitchin'. Most would say the grille in Bill Cushenbury's world famous "El Matador" is a work of art. A few would say it's hideous.
http://shenaniganswiththeedfactor.bl...1_archive.html

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by go4kj (Post 1585998879)
Looks good. Chrome on the front looks hideous. That will be the first thing I do when I get mine. No chrome for me :nono::nono:

Oh boy, now you did it!! You called the chrome strip hideous!! They'll be coming for you now! I hope you're wearing a helmet!! :smash: I made that mistake and learned the hard way, been dodging blows and apologizing for it ever since!!! LOL, LOL, LOL

And on a different note, for anyone interested, I added an additional photo to the post above, that gives an additional view of the grille and side skirts.

4GS7 01-23-2014 11:06 PM

That black mesh piece is gorgeous. My favorite piece so far is the Z06 grille, but this is a close second.

LuvnMyC7 01-23-2014 11:32 PM

Gotta love it, spend thousands of dollars modifying the car and the only thing he likes...that I removed the fish!!! LOL, LOL, LOL :rofl:

Just giving you a hard time Glen, all in good fun. I know it's not your cup of tea. But just couldn't resist ribbin you a little bit after thinking about it.

Glen e 01-23-2014 11:38 PM

I never said I did not like the car.....you were listing your mods and forgot one, that's all....

48supertruck 01-23-2014 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585990425)
This was the first one they did, but I think they did it with the intention to get one out there and sell them. So, pretty sure they are going to offer the once piece as an option on their website, in addition to the 12 chamber factory grille layout they currently have.

By the way, does the 48 SuperTruck refer to Ryan?

No, I was 48 and ran in 2005-2006.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0e8b5c83.jpg

///ADMAN 01-24-2014 01:01 AM

I like it. Nice bit of individuality. :thumbs:

thedofuss 01-24-2014 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585987163)
Disclaimer...I do apologize for the title. Tried to change it after the fact and it would only change on my individual post. As I noted below, the only two complaints I've heard from people about the C7 were the taillights and the grille. Never heard a single compliment about the factory grille. So that's what lead to my title. After reading many of the posts, it's clear that a lot of people do actually like the factory grille. Title was just my way of being funny based on the complaints I've heard. I was clearly unsuccessful!! It certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone. As noted, we all have our own preference and that's the beauty of being human, we have the ability to think and like different things. So I apologize to anyone that was offended by the "hideous" part of the title. One thing I've learned in seeing all of the photos on this site, the C7 is an amazing vehicle in any color or configuration. Congrats to all that own one, you are one of the lucky ones that gets to enjoy such an amazing machine!

Got some better shots of it with less glare and more representative of the actual color for those interested.

dont apologize. its a sign of weakness. also, the title was fine as it was. youre as entitled to your opinion as all your critics. and, IT IS HIDEOUS. :thumbs:

Dusty Starbucks 01-24-2014 02:32 AM

Glenn's pet peeve 'the fish'.

I think it looks great, not sure i would go to the trouble, but I like it. I am also impressed at how you attacked 99% of the forum by your title. Good sized cajones or plain stupidity, not sure which.

Texas_Venom 01-24-2014 07:05 AM

I think it looks good. One thing about Corvettes, there are a lot of mods out there for the car and people have plenty of choices on what to do. Everyone likes to individualize their car... this is another way of doing that. And besides I think it looks much better than the people who chrome every little thing they can on a car. That's kind of old and outdated... yet many of the people who are in here complaining are the ones who will continue the tradition.

Carnut12 01-24-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by thedofuss (Post 1585999989)
dont apologize. its a sign of weakness. also, the title was fine as it was. youre as entitled to your opinion as all your critics. and, IT IS HIDEOUS. :thumbs:

I agree, there are way to many folks on this forum that take everything personally, nothing can be better than the stock C7 no matter what. I love the ones that say you personally attacked them. Sometimes I think this forum is worse than the 370Z one from a maturity stand-point. I love the fact the OP is not letting it bother him, taking the High Road, well Done OP!!!!!:cheers::cheers::thumbs::iagree:

450hp mike9 01-24-2014 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How's this look ?

450hp mike9 01-24-2014 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or this. The show car.

450hp mike9 01-24-2014 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The real deal.

Captain Richard 01-24-2014 09:56 AM

Note the mesh in front. Again, BECAUSE RACECAR!

48supertruck 01-24-2014 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by King Richard (Post 1586001346)
Note the mesh in front. Again, BECAUSE RACECAR!

The haters will wish they had mesh, when they take a rock to the radiator at the racetrack or even the freeway. I LOVE RACECARS!:rock:

LuvnMyC7 01-24-2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 48supertruck (Post 1585999560)

I missed you by a year. By the way, your C7 looks awesome. I like the LB color with the black wheels.

LuvnMyC7 01-24-2014 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Carnut12 (Post 1586000735)
I agree, there are way to many folks on this forum that take everything personally, nothing can be better than the stock C7 no matter what. I love the ones that say you personally attacked them. Sometimes I think this forum is worse than the 370Z one from a maturity stand-point. I love the fact the OP is not letting it bother him, taking the High Road, well Done OP!!!!!:cheers::cheers::thumbs::iagree:

I definitely don't take it personally. I get a kick out of it. After my years in racing, I'm more than used to what people can say on message boards while hiding behind their computer screens with no fear. I've found that in most cases, those that choose to bash people on the forums are those that have nothing better to do with their day. They sit and look at the forums all day long just waiting for the opportunity to strike. One missed word or added word and they'll jump at the chance to twist the intended meaning into something it's not. Most of them got to say their peace within the first few hours. But from about page 3 or 4 on, this thread took a completely different turn with mostly positive comments or at least intelligent, constructive comments. Once they realized they were in the minority and people actually do like it, they crawled back into their holes, just waiting for the next time to pounce!! It's all good. Some it is funny as heck to read. Has no affect on me. I certainly don't love the look of my car any less than I did a couple of days ago when I first posted the pictures!!

Have a great weekend everyone. Hopefully the weather's good and you can get out and have some fun!

ebf2k 01-24-2014 01:03 PM

Not having seen the original pics, I really do like the darker mesh grill, I think it looks great. Now about that rear end...:hide:

Mdm23 01-24-2014 03:12 PM

I think it looks great. The factory front grille is my least favorite part of the Stingray. I like the blacked out bars that some have done too.

CV-4606 01-24-2014 04:37 PM

Disclaimer...I do apologize for the title. Tried to change it after the fact and it would only change on my individual post. As I noted below, the only two complaints I've heard from people about the C7 were the taillights and the grille. Never heard a single compliment about the factory grille. So that's what lead to my title. After reading many of the posts, it's clear that a lot of people do actually like the factory grille. Title was just my way of being funny based on the complaints I've heard. I was clearly unsuccessful!! It certainly wasn't meant to offend anyone. As noted, we all have our own preference and that's the beauty of being human, we have the ability to think and like different things. So I apologize to anyone that was offended by the "hideous" part of the title. One thing I've learned in seeing all of the photos on this site, the C7 is an amazing vehicle in any color or configuration. Congrats to all that own one, you are one of the lucky ones that gets to enjoy such an amazing machine!

Got some better shots of it with less glare and more representative of the actual color for those interested.

Tough crowd here at the Forum. I think it looks Clean. I did similar on my 911. You did a great job on an otherwise ordinary Stingray. Good taste in colors and subtle contrasts.

B Stead 01-24-2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585994993)
The photos do make it look a little more tightly woven than it really is. Any angle with the camera is going to give it that effect. I said the same thing when I ordered, that I wanted the widest mesh possible. I'm glad it is what it is. Any wider weave than it is and you'd start to be able to see everything that's behind the grille too easily. Personally, I think I'm at the limit on how wide I can go.

And RaceMesh does offer all different types of colors/finishes. Stainless, chrome, black, black chrome, etc, and probably could customize with other finishes as well. If you've got an idea, just call them with it. They were great to work with and produced exactly what I requested.

I'll e-mail Granjard and ask for a grill design that can be built in stainless-steel.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/26/s...t-c7-stingray/

But here is the Gallardo grill:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agup627/8406812029/

CCA Corvette Parts 01-24-2014 07:31 PM

Looks Killer :thumbs:

Regards
Chip

LuvnMyC7 01-25-2014 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, I thought the C7 grille was big, until I saw this! Company Supervettes actually chose to make it even bigger!

Z06_4U2NV 01-25-2014 11:14 PM

Looks good!

Originally Posted by go4kj (Post 1585998879)

:iagree: It will be the first thing to go when I get mine too.

DRM87 01-26-2014 09:00 PM

I think it looks GREAT! The stock grille is terrible. This looks like it means business. I question the aesthetic taste of those that like the stock better. :crazy2:

MY70THAnv 01-26-2014 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585987240)
I like mine better no Chrome but then again different strokes for different folks...

Where did you get that mod. LOVE LOVE IT....

TitaniumVT 01-27-2014 01:16 AM

Nice job, OP. Good for you for banishing the 50's retro grill from a frikkin' 2014 sports car.

Now this is a grill that could make me overlook the factory grill design. It's a "Gran Turismo concept" from this year's SEMA car show.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

LuvnMyC7 01-27-2014 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TitaniumVT (Post 1586022214)
Nice job, OP. Good for you for banishing the 50's retro grill from a frikkin' 2014 sports car.

Now this is a grill that could make me overlook the factory grill design. It's a "Gran Turismo concept" from this year's SEMA car show.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Yep, pretty much what I did, less the tow hooks that are on the Gran Turismo Grille.

Racerdj 01-27-2014 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by v8capt (Post 1585997484)
I also have a Harley with lots of chrome, it looks good to me.

Me too. However I really like the Z06 front grill...wait a minute, I like the total car!

leadville1 01-27-2014 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585988359)
Any high end Clear Bra place can do it. Its called Carbon Fiber film. He installed it for free while installing my clear bra, it took him 15 minutes. I had ordered a real carbon replacement but decided heck this looks great and saved some money. The film has texture to it and it can be removed at any time.

This is exactly what I am going to do, looks great.

bagwell 01-27-2014 08:09 PM

http://wardsauto.com/site-files/ward...%20quarter.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Glen e 01-27-2014 08:11 PM

Kinda like these new grilles from DG (can be made without DG center logo)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...AY_URBAN_1.png
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ray-strada.jpg

Specracer 01-27-2014 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1586028412)

I really like the lower pictured one!

LuvnMyC7 01-27-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1586028412)

Neither are bad. For my personal taste, I don't care for the gray/chrome ring around the whole thing in the first photo (this all started because of the damn chrome bar on the stock grille, LOL), nor do I care for the plastic trim all the way around the outside of gray/chrome ring. I like the fact that the RaceMesh grille fits within the factory framing.

I like the concept of the lower photo with the air ducts, but something just looks out of place. I think they are too big and are overpowering. I definitely like the way the Z06 grille incorporates the air ducts much better. I can't put my finger on it, but it's just too busy for me in that space and the center grille looks odd being that small. Maybe it would grow on me, but as of now, it didn't "WOW" me as the Z06 or RaceMesh grilles did at first sight.

One other thing, and I've seen someone else with a grille on E-bay that is similar, is they brought the grille all the way out to be flush with the body of the nose. I prefer the look of having the grille indented from the body.

While the RaceMesh grille looks aftermarket, to me, it looks aftermarket with a factory touch. To me, these two grilles above look like obvious aftermarket additions.

As with anything, some will love it, some will hate it and the rest will fall somewhere in between.

One other thing, these are obviously artist's renderings and not actual photos. I'm not even sure it's possible to build the vents as shown. Right behind the grille (where Chevy puts a factory plastic plate on the inside of the upper corners of the grille), is a steel bumper that's not moving. Probably why the Z06 grille's air ducts only occupy the lower half of the grille. With that bumper there, there's no way to have an air duct go back in the way these photos reflect that they do. Possibly they did artist's renderings, but haven't actually pulled the nose off of a Vette to see if it's possible?

B Stead 01-27-2014 10:22 PM

I wouldn't want a grill with that needs de-badging.

But a tight mesh grill could increase drag and lift. The OEM grill could just be copied with a satin or frosted stainless-steel mesh (and backing plates) and then the only thing lost is the fins. The fins probably are functional but minor. Making a fin layout for a race-shop style grill just wouldn't be worth the trouble.

And look at the Gallardo. The front end design and the grill are separate issues. The grill space isn't used to try and make additional front-end design.

Flame-anodized titanium mesh grill and backing plates ?

BACNBLK 01-27-2014 10:44 PM

LMC7 your car is bad a$$, enjoy the hell out of it, it looks great!

Steve Garrett 01-27-2014 11:02 PM

Those grills look really good.

harmonyp 01-28-2014 12:12 AM

I had a horrible problem with gophers eating my roses, and bought about 5 3'x100' rolls of 1/2" wire mesh and dug up and caged all those danged roses to protect them. All I can think of when I look at that grill, is all that work.

BUT, if you like it, that's the only thing that matters, and kudos for you for going with your own sense of style. Enjoy!

LuvnMyC7 01-28-2014 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by harmonyp (Post 1586030218)
I had a horrible problem with gophers eating my roses, and bought about 5 3'x100' rolls of 1/2" wire mesh and dug up and caged all those danged roses to protect them. All I can think of when I look at that grill, is all that work.

BUT, if you like it, that's the only thing that matters, and kudos for you for going with your own sense of style. Enjoy!

Ahh, so refreshing. I just LOVE how people go out of their way, over, above and beyond to provide such detailed descriptions and scenarios of how much they don't like what someone did to their car!! But then they make it all ok by adding that famous "BUT if you like it....."
No, actually I hate it, that's why I did it to my car!! Just wanted to torture myself!!!
LOL

AORoads 01-28-2014 04:05 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You have got to have the BEST sense of humor! ^^^^

harmonyp 01-28-2014 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1586030306)
Ahh, so refreshing. I just LOVE how people go out of their way, over, above and beyond to provide such detailed descriptions and scenarios of how much they don't like what someone did to their car!! But then they make it all ok by adding that famous "BUT if you like it....."
No, actually I hate it, that's why I did it to my car!! Just wanted to torture myself!!!
LOL

Lighten up ;) I got HAMMERED when I posted pics of my interior mods.

Learned the lesson that when we post "out of the norm" stuff and put it out there for everyone, everyone has an opinion, and many not so good.

I don't like it. But who cares what I think - I don't have to like it - you do! Most everyone hated my interior. I love it. So be it. Thank goodness we don't all like the same thing, else we'd all have clones of one anothers' cars.

baddboyz03 01-28-2014 01:43 PM

YOU like it, I like it, thats all that matters!!!! nuff said.:cool:

Paulchristian 01-28-2014 02:03 PM

Looks better than the base grille, but I like the ZO6 grille better. To be honest, it is not the grille that is ugly, but rather the fact that it is not recessed further back into the bumper that makes it look bad. The grille is too "in your face." IMO, they should have recessed it a bit into the bumper similar to what the C6 Z did vs the C6 Base car.

TX Navy Vet 01-28-2014 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by FrancisDGarcia (Post 1585987207)
Sorry, but, I like the factory one better.

:iagree:

cbernhardt 01-28-2014 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I get my C7 I am going to paint it copper and put in a grill from a "real" Corvette.

Medic Man 01-28-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7 (Post 1585991332)
Here you go.

I like it as well. Clean look!:cheers:

GNC7 01-28-2014 06:14 PM

Who is DG?

Glen e 01-28-2014 06:34 PM

they have a huge post with all the C7 grills on "the other site"

http://www.djgrilles.com/

GNC7 01-28-2014 06:44 PM

can you PM me what the "Other site" is?

AMGPilot 01-28-2014 09:06 PM

Looks really good!!! :cool:

That is one feature of the new Corvette that I never cared for, the front grill.

Don't listen to the haters in this thread. If you like it then that is all that matters :thumbs:

Also, more new photos on page 7 of this thread.

LuvnMyC7 01-28-2014 09:58 PM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...lle-front4.jpg

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...ille-side2.jpg

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...ront-right.jpg

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...-complete2.jpg

Originally Posted by AMGPilot (Post 1586038075)
Looks really good!!! :cool:

That is one feature of the new Corvette that I never cared for, the front grill.

Don't listen to the haters in this thread. If you like it then that is all that matters :thumbs:

Thank you AMGPilot. I certainly don't take anything from a message board personal. I've actually gotten a kick out of this thread. Some of the comments were hilarious. I love my car the way it is. And just like with the Corvette in general, it looks a lot better in person than in photographs.

Ben@WeaponX 01-28-2014 10:09 PM

looks great!!

Raiderh20boy 01-29-2014 06:11 PM

Good enough that my wife is putting your grille on her C7 Cyber Grey Metallic VERT instead of the same RaceMesh Grille that I have so they will be slightly different :yesnod::yesnod:

Z O SICK 01-29-2014 06:25 PM

Looks good IMO!

USMCVETC7 01-29-2014 07:22 PM

The more I look at it the more I like it! :thumbs:

marc4427 01-29-2014 08:27 PM

I like it too

427silverhotrod 01-29-2014 08:35 PM

I think it looks great thanks for posting it.

dirty eddie 01-29-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by #1c6 (Post 1585987890)
not bad, but im hoping to get the grille thats in the z06!

Me too, let me know if and when you find them for sale.

LuvnMyC7 02-09-2014 06:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by george vee (Post 1585991296)
Can we get a full front shot?

like this

Got some new photo software for work, made it very easy to swap grilles onto this car. Below are the before and after images, with the second one showing the single chamber grille on a lighter colored car.

SRQStingray 02-09-2014 07:25 AM

I prefer the OEM grille. The chrome strip does not keep me up at night. As for your mod, if you like it, great. But I think it looks like a DIY using material from Home Depot.

LuvnMyC7 02-09-2014 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by SRQStingray (Post 1586128111)
I prefer the OEM grille. The chrome strip does not keep me up at night. As for your mod, if you like it, great. But I think it looks like a DIY using material from Home Depot.

Wasn't asking. But thanks, I'm a huge fan of Home Depot.

Someone earlier asked for an image of it on a lighter colored car. Just provided them with what they asked for.

rrod436 02-09-2014 08:14 AM

Looks good.

Kyflyer 02-09-2014 08:36 AM

It appears you have done good work on the grille and it is your car so have some fun. Have you read the reasoning behind the factor grill shape, etc? This car is designed for aerodynamics, to the point that they spent hundreds of hours and a lot of money managing (directing) airflow. The special edition of the January Motor Trend about the C7 explains it.

jaymedic44 02-09-2014 08:38 AM

Personally I love the stock grille