CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   LEO lit me up this morning (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3408410-leo-lit-me-up-this-morning.html)

Bandit's C4 01-22-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mundo (Post 1585984904)
OK, I'm from the west coast. What does LEO stand for? Must be something common to states west of CA. I can only assume it means Law Enforcement Officer - correct? In CA we have the CHP (California Highway Patrol) commonly known as "Chippys" They can be real A$$ holes especially around LA.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer = CHP

Hameister 01-22-2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mundo (Post 1585984904)
....What does LEO stand for?...

You have LEO correct.

About 25 years ago I got tired of dodging cops, and getting speeding tickets.

I decided I would set my cruise control for 3 mph over the posted limit all the time.

Guess what? In the past 25 years, I've not been stopped. No tickets....amazing!

MBB 01-22-2014 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1585984994)
You have LEO correct.

About 25 years ago I got tired of dodging cops, and getting speeding tickets.

I decided I would set my cruise control for 3 mph over the posted limit all the time.

Guess what? In the past 25 years, I've not been stopped. No tickets....amazing!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

1rusty1 01-22-2014 12:04 PM

You can get away with 5 over no problem. 7 over is max. 10 or more and you're fair game. I was an LEO about a million years ago (only worked a few years. Just wasn't for me). Judges don't like wasting their time on tickets with 5 or 7 over.

Landru 01-22-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds (Post 1585983474)
I got my first ever ticket in the corrupt state of NJ on Sunday. No traffic on the road except a slow old SUV in front of me that I thought was making a right (was doing 27 in 35) so I overtook on a double yellow. Sitting cop lit me up.

Exact same thing happened to me. :lol:

Only the cop was coming toward me, had to turn around & track me several miles to my home. After my papers he says 'you passed on a double yellow.'.
I said, 'No. I'd driven around the car ahead of me who signaled a right turn. I drove around them. Maybe their RF turn signal light was burned out, why you couldn't see?'.
Young cop, I could see the wheels turning, thinking *maybe*.
Handed back my papers & said drive more careful. :D

I got real lucky, he had me by the shorthairs. :cheers:

mickey5 01-22-2014 12:19 PM

You were lucky. I got my first ever ticket in the corrupt state of NJ on Sunday. No traffic on the road except a slow old SUV in front of me that I thought was making a right (was doing 27 in 35) so I overtook on a double yellow. Sitting cop lit me up. Bad timing - nice car was all he said after looking for the usuals. It's a 4 pointer!!! But I can plea to zero and pass over $$ to my greedy town.

Hey Irish, You should know better here in bucolic Joisey. Going over a double yellow is always a no-no. How much is a plead to zero...I seem to remember reading something like $250..right? Seriously, sorry to here about your request for a donation. What town was it in? The shore towns are getting hungry this time of year.

Yellogixxer 01-22-2014 12:30 PM

I got pulled over once by a PA Trooper for doing 67 in a 55. The cop was cool. Instead of speeding, he wrote me up for failing to use my turn signal when pulling off onto the shoulder. No points.

I was grateful and gladly paid with a smile on my face, but it has always bothered me...what if I did use my turn signal, would I have gotten the speeding ticket, or something else?

Torchsport 01-22-2014 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MBB (Post 1585983847)
I bought my Vette for the track, not to be Speedy Speederton on the streets. It gets great gas mileage while NOT pushing it and driving faster just means LESS time I get to have with her. :)

:iagree:
As another example, I am a long time motorcyclist. (33 years on the street)
A few years ago I started doing track days on them. That has really settled me down on the street. :thumbs:

billyboy47 01-22-2014 01:06 PM

You were lucky. I got my first ever ticket in the corrupt state of NJ on Sunday. No traffic on the road except a slow old SUV in front of me that I thought was making a right (was doing 27 in 35) so I overtook on a double yellow. Sitting cop lit me up. Bad timing - nice car was all he said after looking for the usuals. It's a 4 pointer!!! But I can plea to zero and pass over $$ to my greedy town.

here in pa. you n.j. and n.y. guys are constantly passing people on a double yellow lane. then you have the nerve to call your state corrupt when the officer is doing his job. i call it corrupt when they don't do their job. like a cop told me once, "suck it up and deal with it" ignorance of the law is no excuse.:smash::woohoo:

Vette_DD 01-22-2014 02:45 PM

7 to 8 miles an hour is about the limit in the next town and on the interstate. Next town because there's a mile stretch (5 lane street) at the edge of town with no traffic lights.

Here, 5 is about the limit on most streets, since there are so many traffic lights.

Haven't been pulled over since the county mounty in the next county did it for 76 in a 55 about 7 years ago, but no ticket.

RLSebring 01-22-2014 02:51 PM

Heading South through North Alabama Monday had a LEO blow by me and I was doing 79 in a 70. I pulled in the next exist several miles down the road and this same LEO pulled in beside me and started chatting. I finished fueling and as he pulled away he said "BTW you are still in a 55 mph construction zone for another 10 or so miles". I told him I knew I had just came out of a zone but hadn't seen a barrel for miles. He said the zone was about 20 or so miles long and nothing going on at this end but not to be doing 79 through it.

I gave him a heart felt thanks for not pulling me over.

bushjc 01-22-2014 02:58 PM

Hey Jim, sounds like that Tullahoma to Winchester run - I went through there one afternoon and there was 3 LEO's passing out Donation Requests like candy on Halloween.

brewcitygymratt 01-22-2014 03:00 PM

Congrats on not getting pulled.:thumbs: I have been driving for 30 yrs and received one break in all those years(my neighbor was a cop and pulled up behind the leo that pulled me over and had him let me go). My dad's a retired cop but I never name dropped, just was polite and respectful to all the leo's that pulled me over(maybe 10 or so speeding tickets in life).
Being polite and respectful is how I've been brought up but it has never saved me from getting a ticket. I once got written up for 4 over in Missouri on the highway at 3am on my drive home to WI. Step- mom was in another car and got pulled over, so I pulled over to be near her for caravan purposes. He wrote both of us tickets.lol:D

Also being a longtime paraplegic from an industrial accident as a teen I tried the involuntary muscle spasm defense with no success.:rofl:

jackhall99 01-22-2014 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by LMB-Z (Post 1585983697)
I think 10 over is pretty common among LEO's. 11 over might get you pulled over, 15 will get you a citation.

This really varies by locality. Here in the suburban Chicago area, our state police write then most tickets starting at 80 MPH (55 speed limit) on our interstates. This is not saying they couldn't write you up lower, as they do. But at 25 over, we are asking for it.

Now if there is construction going on, we better heed the usual 45 MPH zone. Our highway LEOs really frown on speeding in these zones. :thumbs:

choprfgr 01-22-2014 03:37 PM

In Texas it says right on the ticket - has to be 10% over.

VET4LES 01-22-2014 03:47 PM

Been driving in Southern California for 59 years. Been pulled over a few times but never had a ticket. I've deserved a few but been lucky. :flag:

LawrenceFromTorrance 01-22-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1585985575)
here in pa. you n.j. and n.y. guys are constantly passing people on a double yellow lane. then you have the nerve to call your state corrupt when the officer is doing his job. i call it corrupt when they don't do their job. like a cop told me once, "suck it up and deal with it" ignorance of the law is no excuse.:smash::woohoo:

I could understand "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" if the laws were logical and there were only a few thousand laws. But there are illogical laws and over 10s of thousands of laws (I know you don't know half of them).

PS I got a ticket for 57MPH in a 55MPH zone, I'm so happy that the officer wasn't corrupt. No I wasn't! I was just cruising with the rest of the traffic.

POPN427 01-22-2014 04:05 PM

On the way to Vegas from So. Calif 30 Miles before Primm,,,

Good thing I have manners!! And the CHP really liked my 427

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/64...0/853/znxp.jpg

Warning only!! and multiple " this is a really nice vette!! " 88 in the 70

Looking into a PASSPORT 9500ix radar detector,,,,any thoughts ??

Be Safe :cheers:

PatriotZ 01-22-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Yellogixxer (Post 1585985287)
I got pulled over once by a PA Trooper for doing 67 in a 55. The cop was cool. Instead of speeding, he wrote me up for failing to use my turn signal when pulling off onto the shoulder. No points.

I was grateful and gladly paid with a smile on my face, but it has always bothered me...what if I did use my turn signal, would I have gotten the speeding ticket, or something else?

....accept the fact that the LEO was indeed cool and cut you some slack......pretty simple concept!:flag:

jdk541 01-22-2014 04:43 PM

Another great thing about Arizona the roads are in excellent condition, it is dry 99% of the time and just about everyone speeds here. I try not to exceed 8 or 9 over the posted limit and even at that you are still frequently getting passed by someone. I try to just be the second fastet car in the pack that I am driving in and limiting my speed to a reasonable rate. That has worked for me so far. No tickets in the last 30 years.

Of course now that I said that I will be getting one next week.:banghead: