CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do you race when people pull beside you to challenge? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3407262-do-you-race-when-people-pull-beside-you-to-challenge.html)

sfc rick 01-23-2014 09:20 AM

Damn it.....now I have to remove all the cutlery out of the kitchen.

Stingray Al 01-23-2014 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by c6txvette (Post 1585990298)
Im glad I too am not the only one here I (admit) that enjoys my toys how they were meant to be enjoyed. A Z06 is not a family car that only goes 63 mph and never sees 140 mph lol. Albeit there are a few that chooses to garage keep and rarely drive them bit this was not their purpose. Go get an original 53-68 corvette in showroom condition, now thats a garage queen that will never see a high revv. I know to each his own but come on guys for real? We are on a major sports car Forum and own one of the best performance machines on the road. NO, by all means lets not race everyday, or when its obviously not appropriate. Hell yes someone with something worth racing off the track and the conditions are adequate (pedestrians, school zone, construction, weather, traffic, time of day, road condition, common sense stuff etc) its on. Live a little fellas just be careful about it. I dont know anyone who would own a vette and "never" street race it lol.

I like to punch it here and there.

adamzane 01-23-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jr3 (Post 1585965486)
Just ignore them and act like they don't exist, or your talking on the phone... it pi$$e$ some of'em off because you wont even take the time to notice them.

It's just a Vette owner thing. We're in a Super car. I thing the worse thing I did was this kid had one of those newer Honda sport cars and had done a bunch of **** to it. Idk probably spent more on mods and upgrades than if he had just bought a Corvette. Anyway I killed him in my basically bone stock C4 with 143,000 miles on the original block and six speed tranny . Had him on the side of the road crying with pink slip in hand. I told him my wife could do with a cute car that's good on gas.
Well I know , but Mr. Tough guy here couldn't go through with it. Don't think he will take on Corvette's again.

vforrest 01-23-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585990414)
I think we have beat this to death already. I don't know you and chances are that we will never run into each other (literally) But street racers, in general just don't give a crap about the safety of others around them who don't share their "excitement". I, on the other hand, have been to the scene of many scenes of carnage involving street racers and innocent bystanders. Two pieces of **** last year in dueling Mustangs rammed and killed a poor janitor leaving a Walmart parking at 2:00AM in his van. They claimed that there was "no one around" and blamed the janitor for pulling out in front of them (assuming he knew these two cretins would be racing in an commercial area) although later evidence showed that they were exceeding 90 MPH in a 35.
The janitor left behind a wife and kids, and the two scum who raced are now in jail for a very long time. But three families will never be the same.
No one going to be able to talk racers out of their "hobby", and just need a dose of reality to jolt them to their senses. So go ahead and play, but be prepared to suffer the consequences. They aren't as indestructible as they think.

In my work I do a ton of classes on Defensive Driving it can be a day long class, another one about being on the road wih The Distracted Driver. But the biggest message I explain are the wide variety of people that go behind the wheel. The traffic laws have been put in place so you can take to the road with some assumed confidence that people are going follow them and have some consistent uniformity hence getting you from point A to point B without incident.

This thread confirms the most important part of being a good Defensive Driver is being around those that will drive the way they want, maybe don't see the value of life the way you do, see the necessity of conforming to the rules of the road and otherwise have no worries about imposing their will and driving style over all. So head on a swivel, use your mirrors often, and don't assume you are SHARING the road when there are those that are just selfish and TAKE what they want only thinking about themselves and how important THEIR thrill is.

Torch Red C7 01-23-2014 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by vforrest (Post 1585992650)
In my work I do a ton of classes on Defensive Driving it can be a day long class, another one about being on the road wih The Distracted Driver. But the biggest message I explain are the wide variety of people that go behind the wheel. The traffic laws have been put in place so you can take to the road with some assumed confidence that people are going follow them and have some consistent uniformity hence getting you from point A to point B without incident.

This thread confirms the most important part of being a good Defensive Driver is being around those that will drive the way they want, maybe don't see the value of life the way you do, see the necessity of conforming to the rules of the road and otherwise have no worries about imposing their will and driving style over all. So head on a swivel, use your mirrors often, and don't assume you are SHARING the road when there are those that are just selfish and TAKE what they want only thinking about themselves and how important THEIR thrill is.

:iagree:

Torch Red C7 01-23-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1585991789)
:thumbs: Wise people listen to those who have knowledge and expertise and Torch certainly knows what he is talking about! His example in that post is the classic accident scenario where everything was just fine until suddenly it wasn't.

In the 1990s I did some consulting work with the NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) and although most of my work was in the auto fraud/theft domain I spent some quality time listening to war stories from their safety folks who also crossed over into the liability side. The outcomes of street racing and related antics accounted for a lot of their investigative time.

The very first accident scene that I had to work (as a rookie) was at the aftermath of a drag race where two guys raced on the northbound onramp to Interstate 35 south of Dallas. They tried to beat each other to the point where the lanes merged (according to witnesses). Unfortunately, the "loser" clipped a curb and rolled his car. He survived the accident, but my "rookie" job (while they loaded him into the accident) was to pick up his detached hand from the asphalt and give it to the Paramedic so he could put it on ice.
By the way, I also remember that the guy in the other car was his brother.

GOLD72 01-23-2014 12:37 PM

Not interested in sharing a jail cell with Justin Bieber!!! :lol:

Brady Kohuth 01-23-2014 01:25 PM

I love to see all the posts that bring up the common sense issues and all the do-gooders who never ever do this. LOL ! And then the law issues and the what happens if you crash etc. One guy posts on this issue and everyone gets their panties wadded up......very funny !!

sfc rick 01-23-2014 03:01 PM

I also run into the "I would never!" guys.... This guy in our coffee get together swears and adamantly states he NEVER exceeds the speed limit...EVER. I just laugh in his face and say...."Yea like you COULD ever in that Prius!" He's that kind of guy who buys a Corvette and never drives it like it's made for.

I love those guys....that's why some of us buy such pristine Corvettes that are barely used. LOVE this country.

gixxerbill 01-23-2014 03:06 PM

I know do you think it makes them feel better about being wusses and not racing. Kind of like a group wuss hug?

j/k just jacking around with ya'll. :D

NSC5 01-23-2014 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585993770)
The very first accident scene that I had to work (as a rookie) was at the aftermath of a drag race where two guys raced on the northbound onramp to Interstate 35 south of Dallas.

I spent a lot of time in Dallas. The international division of the NICB (it grew out of the old National auto theft bureau) was located in Dallas and all of the management and agents were former LEOs. I had a lot of good memories of the time spent there but the most memorable was when their secretary had her new Suburban stolen from the NICB parking lot the day after she bought it. It was supposed to get LoJack installed the next day, a day late and a dollar short as the saying goes.

For several hours she refused to believe that one of the NICB agents didn't have it moved as a joke and finally one person who was former FBI offered to call the Dallas field office and have a polygraph op sent over :) What was left (not much) of the Suburban was found a couple of weeks later - I imagine the rest of it quickly migrated south.

diesel225 01-23-2014 05:22 PM

If you buy a vet you should punch it every once and a while;) or track the hell out of it or at the very least drag it sometimes other wise why buy a car like this.

If its clear roads, no cops sure why not. I see so many post on here saying no i would never race someone. I think some guys on here think its like fast and the furious were you are at a stop and dragging it. Thats not it at all it would be from 40 or 60 on the highway to like 100 which takes no time at all and you will know who one real quick as you will just pull on the guy once you hit 1-2 car length a head you won. don't race in town or stupid stuff like that the highway would be the only place lots of open road usually flat so you can see way a head of you.

If you do race there should be no cars any where in front of you. I'm not saying go out and race at all but you guys do own a car that is 12 second car if speed is not your thing why did you get it. Now if you drag it or track even once but don't ever race on the street then fine your using the car how it was meant to be used.

I liken it to someone who studies martial arts his whole life but says he would never use it for any reason and then gets his ass handed to him in a fight because he didn't fight back. just my opinion….

gixxerbill 01-23-2014 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by diesel225 (Post 1585996814)
If you buy a vet you should punch it every once and a while;) or track the hell out of it or at the very least drag it sometimes other wise why buy a car like this.

If its clear roads, no cops sure why not. I see so many post on here saying no i would never race someone. I think some guys on here think its like fast and the furious were you are at a stop and dragging it. Thats not it at all it would be from 40 or 60 on the highway to like 100 which takes no time at all and you will know who one real quick as you will just pull on the guy once you hit 1-2 car length a head you won. don't race in town or stupid stuff like that the highway would be the only place lots of open road usually flat so you can see way a head of you.

If you do race there should be no cars any where in front of you. I'm not saying go out and race at all but you guys do own a car that is 12 second car if speed is not your thing why did you get it. Now if you drag it or track even once but don't ever race on the street then fine your using the car how it was meant to be used.

I liken it to someone who studies martial arts his whole life but says he would never use it for any reason and then gets his ass handed to him in a fight because he didn't fight back. just my opinion….

that is exactly what I do. good post.

jackhall99 01-23-2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by diesel225 (Post 1585996814)
.... I liken it to someone who studies martial arts his whole life but says he would never use it for any reason and then gets his ass handed to him in a fight because he didn't fight back. just my opinion….

Well your opinion as stated here shows your total ignorance of the martial arts. :crazy:

Any man, woman or young person who achieves the rank of Shodan (five to six years of hard work) will NEVER get their "ass handed to him" (sic) because they won't defend themselves or others facing danger.

diesel225 01-23-2014 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1585997163)
Well your opinion as stated here shows your total ignorance of the martial arts. :crazy:

Any man, woman or young person who achieves the rank of Shodan (five to six years of hard work) will NEVER get their "ass handed to him" (sic) because they won't defend themselves or others facing danger.

lol, now you stepped in it.

one i used this analogy because i used to teach martial arts. two i studied under my father since the age of 5 till 18 in TKD my father got his second black in korea under jon rhea, i then dabbled in mantis for some time and then studied JKD under richard torres who is in magazines.

his sifu is ted wong you know the guy in the books with bruce lee. one of the only 2 certified guys to teach jkd from bruce lee.

i then became an instructor for a couple years in jkd. please stop talking out of your ass on a subject you now nothing about. It was an analogy, nothing more.

My martial art is a combat martial art. We used to wear metal head gear and and a cup and test what we learned full force daily. no rules if i got kicked in the nuts during sparring that was my bad not his. you can do the old school stuff and never use it. I'm not into bushido stuff. Its called martial arts meaning warrior arts.

by the way i used to kick the crap out of the reg karate guys who used to come to are school and challenge us to fight claiming they were a red sash or some crap or fourth dan. belts mean nothing to me. the reason we beat them every time is we like boxers fight each other for real. please stop with the ridiculous posts.

sorry for hijacking the thread. but i can't stand people who attack the person online and not there opinion.

Motohead279 01-23-2014 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585989817)
Well everybody just kept saying how safe it is at the track to let it loose. Its not you are alot more likely to wreck at the track than the street but you are alot more like to get hurt on the street than crashing on a track. And by the way my gixxer is alot faster than your rc51 :rock:

just mess'n with you :D what level are you at the track?

Well you still have to be in control of the bike at the track, but there are a lot less distractions and it much safer. But you still have to ride within your limits. I ride in the advanced group.

diesel225 01-23-2014 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by sfc rick (Post 1585995548)
I also run into the "I would never!" guys.... This guy in our coffee get together swears and adamantly states he NEVER exceeds the speed limit...EVER. I just laugh in his face and say...."Yea like you COULD ever in that Prius!" He's that kind of guy who buys a Corvette and never drives it like it's made for.

I love those guys....that's why some of us buy such pristine Corvettes that are barely used. LOVE this country.

agreed.
I'm starting to feel like theres a bunch of old men on this thread who buy corvettes as a status symbol. i hear stuff like i have nothing to prove and neither do must of us who from time to time punch it on the open road. we just enjoy going fast and a challenge by another fast car is fun as well. not all the time but why get a super car if your going to drive it like miss daisy 24/7. again my opinion I'm sure someone on here will attack me for it.

Dusty Starbucks 01-24-2014 03:10 AM

I know when I'm safe. I know when others are safe. I learn the limits of my car quickly and I know my own. You don't have to race to be a dumbass on the road. I see them everyday... I can spot a em 1/4 mile in front of me a two lanes over. Better to be behind them than than in front. Know the limits, know the dimensions. At the end of the day it is all physics.

hudgman 01-24-2014 06:07 AM

I'm on the interstate going to work every weekday morning by 4:30. I passed a new black Charger this morning going slow and weaving. I was in my 2011 6 banger Camaro RS. A few minutes later here he comes up beside me and stays there for a mile or so. Then he floors it and then backs down again. He keeps doing this for about 5 minutes and I just ignore the idiot. He finally takes an exit.

sfc rick 01-24-2014 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by hudgman (Post 1586000228)
I'm on the interstate going to work every weekday morning by 4:30. I passed a new black Charger this morning going slow and weaving. I was in my 2011 6 banger Camaro RS. A few minutes later here he comes up beside me and stays there for a mile or so. Then he floors it and then backs down again. He keeps doing this for about 5 minutes and I just ignore the idiot. He finally takes an exit.

He's probably one of those guys who thought you were driving the real thing..... :rofl:

You know the kind..... retro models that come with the rally/race stripes and or grand sport fender stripes and dual exhaust tips jacked up from the dealer lot's posing as muscle cars?

The poor smuck didn't know you were just pretending to have a muscle car...he thought you had one like his, and he just wanted to play.

:lol: