CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do you race when people pull beside you to challenge? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3407262-do-you-race-when-people-pull-beside-you-to-challenge.html)

BacknBlack 01-21-2014 12:25 AM

I love the arrogance of some on this site. Laughing at some 'p.o.s' that wants to race you. Some of those pieces are very quick and would rape you off a light. They want to notch a new vette on their belt. So maybe it's better that you make up excuses not to race, that way you won't get your feelings hurt.

I've done tons of street racing over the years. Some of it for money. I guess I have won a couple of thousand in that time span. Most of it wasn't with my cammed '03 vette, it is with my '93. I guess most see a stock looking C4 and assume they have an easy win :nonod:. I've run guys with turbo Miata's that run low 12s, along with Evo's and Subs that are masters at the 4k dump. There are really quick imports out there and their owners have a lot of pride in their cars. They put blood, sweat and tears into modifying these machines, not buying something expensive and go about thinking they are king of the hill :rolleyes:.

Usually, I'll race up to the end of second gear(80mph). If I'm pulling, the race ends there. If it was close, I ask the competition if they want a run in a more secluded place. Nothing like street racing that gets the heart pumping.

AK47 01-21-2014 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585973525)
You're right, since I have only had it 10 days and haven't hit 500 miles in it yet. On the other hand, I'm a deputy and I have been to enough scenes of crashes from street racing to know about guys just like you. I have helped scraped pieces of your friends from intersections while people stand on the sidewalk saying "did you see how fast that dude was going?" and then go walking on down the street illuminated by ambulance lights. I can only hope that when you wrap yourself around a pole that you don't hurt somebody innocent while you were proving how huge your manhood was to some kid who dared rev his engine at you.

No, you didn't hurt my feeling at all. You would have to be someone important to me to hurt my feelings.

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1585973668)
Thanks. :thumbs: :yesnod:

Big talkers like AK47 make me laugh. I also pray that innocent people aren't injured or killed when he loses it. :cheers:

:withstupid:
wait a minute here. i never said i street raced, i never have.
I take my car to tracks to grip and sometimes to drift events. Drag racing is not my thing.

I asked what's the point of all that hp if you never going to use it, since the original guy, who i was replying to, said he was too scared to take his car to the track.

Most of corvette owners have no guts to push the car.

So no idea what you are talking about buddy.. and the rest of you who thought i street race

Bandit's C4 01-21-2014 05:11 AM

Two words.... Paul Walker.

glenB 01-21-2014 06:11 AM

As long as I've been here I never realized that nobody ever exceeded the speed limit, made a turn without an indicator on or followed every law of the road ....... congrates...... including the officers who text while driving, although that's a no-no here, or the parent talking on the cell phone while driving and setting a bad example for their children or the business man who had a drink before driving home.... good job, we're all proud of you. Sounds like a bunch of Baptists or tolerant democrats

sfc rick 01-21-2014 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BacknBlack (Post 1585973948)
I love the arrogance of some on this site. Laughing at some 'p.o.s' that wants to race you. Some of those pieces are very quick and would rape you off a light. They want to notch a new vette on their belt. So maybe it's better that you make up excuses not to race, that way you won't get your feelings hurt.

I've done tons of street racing over the years. Some of it for money. I guess I have won a couple of thousand in that time span. Most of it wasn't with my cammed '03 vette, it is with my '93. I guess most see a stock looking C4 and assume they have an easy win :nonod:. I've run guys with turbo Miata's that run low 12s, along with Evo's and Subs that are masters at the 4k dump. There are really quick imports out there and their owners have a lot of pride in their cars. They put blood, sweat and tears into modifying these machines, not buying something expensive and go about thinking they are king of the hill :rolleyes:.

Usually, I'll race up to the end of second gear(80mph). If I'm pulling, the race ends there. If it was close, I ask the competition if they want a run in a more secluded place. Nothing like street racing that gets the heart pumping.

:iagree:

When I'm on a deserted stretch.... I'm on it. If a guy is also next to me on a deserted stretch....I'm still on it.

I didn't build it to be a p***y.
:flag:

Chicago1 01-21-2014 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4 (Post 1585974360)
Two words.... Paul Walker.

?? He wasn't the one driving and they weren't racing anyone..Lost on this

JockItch 01-21-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1585974876)
?? He wasn't the one driving and they weren't racing anyone..Lost on this

Two more words.... Princess Diana.

PUGPROUD 01-21-2014 08:50 AM

Life is good until something bad happens. Use common sense, know your limitations. The only thing you can control is yourself...not the next guy (driving on bald tires in freezing weather), not the mother with five kids in an SUV that runs a stop sign (yes she T boned me and drove me up on the sidewalk), not the road (ever hit black ice or standing water just as you hit the sweet spot of the torque curve), not the dog running into the street after a ball (sure do miss Duke), and not even your own car (parts do fail when least expected). Have fun...but be smart and be safe out there.

gixxerbill 01-21-2014 09:39 AM

What's wrong with Ak 47's user name? Are you goody two shoes gun hat'n liberal democrats too? Sheesh, you can die walking down the street of a heart attack why not live life instead of being scared to live it. I never feel more alive then when I am traveling triple digits on a bike or a car. To the cop on the board would you rather go out rapped around the poll having fun or dying a slow death of cancer?

NSC5 01-21-2014 09:48 AM

I doubt if anyone here has a problem with someone just risking their own life but that isn't what happens with street racing. Wrapping yourself around a pole is one thing, crossing a line of traffic and taking out a normal motorist is something entirely different. In other words, take it to the track.

gixxerbill 01-21-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1585975554)
I doubt if anyone here has a problem with someone just risking their own life but that isn't what happens with street racing. Wrapping yourself around a pole is one thing, crossing a line of traffic and taking out a normal motorist is something entirely different. In other words, take it to the track.

I see what your saying and agree and if I don't feel it's a good place to go I don't do it.

Specracer 01-21-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1585968074)
Can't argue with that and totally agree. In my younger days I would have said game on, but with age comes at least some wisdom.

Hopefully!

gixxerbill 01-21-2014 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Specracer (Post 1585975566)
Hopefully!

hasn't happen to me yet and I am turning 50 in April. :rock:

sly1 01-21-2014 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan (Post 1585965949)
With 550rwhp, it is a lose lose situation for me. I should beat most anything that pulls up next to me. So IF I were to race and win, well that was supposed to happen. If I were to lose then, I lose. If I were to get pulled over, I lose. If I were to wreck and hurt myself or someone else, many people lose. The problem is that people don't play the tape all the way through to the end be for they act/react. If you race many people may lose, even your loved ones if you are dead or sitting in jail. I win every time, because I just don't race. I am too cheap to race at the track, because I don't want to break my car and have to fix it. However, if drag racing is your thing, take it to the track and have at it; just make sure you have track insurance or can self insure.

Outstanding post. You captured the street racing situation perfectly.

Specracer 01-21-2014 09:59 AM

In the very few times I have been in this situation with a Shelby Cobra replica years ago I just smiled at them and didn't take the bait! Not only would I risk paying a heavy fine, maybe losing my drivers license, hurting or killing someone (including myself), or going to jail, I could also lose my career! I would just be satisfied knowing that the C7 has it in it to out run most cars on the road today! That would be enough for me!

WICKEDFRC 01-21-2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BacknBlack (Post 1585973948)

In my situation, I'd say it wasn't arrogance because I would have loved to run 'em, regardless of win, lose, or draw. I'd call it more common sense given the location. Believe me, I enjoy my moments of wasting resources, but, it was the wrong time and place. Besides - my GF doesn't like that, so she was my Angel on the right that I know would have said "Don't" as soon as I started. :lol: :crazy:

Sometimes - it's not about the clown in the POS next to you, but the people you care about most sitting in the car right beside you, and those innocent pedestrians walking about. :blueangel:

(By the way - I lose gracefully). :yesnod:

caker 01-21-2014 10:01 AM

Only race on public back roads where no one lives on that planet...No sorry that is illegal to.Plan B,:woohoo: zero to sixty in 4 seconds in a sixty/w trac control on , speed limiter on and anti sidways skid plates on. Maybe on the Autobahn not sure. driving fast is very dangerous ..Oh no Sell the sports car!!! NOT.:cheers:

Torch Red C7 01-21-2014 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585975480)
What's wrong with Ak 47's user name? Are you goody two shoes gun hat'n liberal democrats too? Sheesh, you can die walking down the street of a heart attack why not live life instead of being scared to live it. I never feel more alive then when I am traveling triple digits on a bike or a car. To the cop on the board would you rather go out rapped around the poll having fun or dying a slow death of cancer?

Oh, those are my only two choices? How about neither one of those? How about a long happy life? Feel free to behave as you wish in any manner that shortens yours. Just don't be so arrogant as to make that decision for others who may suffer from your poor life decisions.
If you never feel more alive when traveling triple digits, enjoy it while you can before that happiness is either cut short suddenly or you end up explaining to your cellmate how much fun your wheels were before you lost your license.

And by the way, 3 weeks ago I helped scrape the remains of a "Gixxer" off of Interstate 35. Estimates are that he was going about 130 MPH in a 70 zone. Luckily he didn't hit anyone else as he dodged in and out of traffic; he just didn't see that piece of truck tire laying in the road during that last dodge. We found his helmet almost half a mile down the road with his iPod in it, still playing tunes. You gotta hand it to Apple, they sure can make a durable product.

WICKEDFRC 01-21-2014 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585975675)
.....You gotta hand it to Apple, they sure can make a durable product.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Hahaha. Funny closing comments.

NSC5 01-21-2014 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585975564)
I see what your saying and agree and if I don't feel it's a good place to go I don't do it.

Believe me when I was younger (and less wise) I did some stupid stuff as most of us did. Unlike some of my close friends I was lucky and nothing bad happened. A close high school friend died the night before graduation from a broken neck when he lost it during a street race and went over the seawall onto the beach and the flipping car stopped faster than his head.

Although things can go wrong on the track (and spectators have been injured and killed) the environment is much more controlled. The real problem is that most areas of the country don't really have suitable/accessible tracks for "fun races" and liability concerns work against more of these facilities being built. This is typical of our risk environment where concern about one bad risk (liability) drives the probability of much more serious risk (death/injury to others) far higher. I remember watching one of the old 50s movies last year and one of the scenes has a police officer and city councilman deciding to create a place where the teens could race safely to control that "juvenile delinquency" problem. Too bad that sentiment didn't really take hold.

Racing is a huge adrenaline surge but on the street the possible cost of that "hit" is way too high for most of us.