CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do you race when people pull beside you to challenge? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3407262-do-you-race-when-people-pull-beside-you-to-challenge.html)

sly1 01-24-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by diesel225 (Post 1585999572)
agreed.
I'm starting to feel like theres a bunch of old men on this thread who buy corvettes as a status symbol. i hear stuff like i have nothing to prove and neither do must of us who from time to time punch it on the open road. we just enjoy going fast and a challenge by another fast car is fun as well. not all the time but why get a super car if your going to drive it like miss daisy 24/7. again my opinion I'm sure someone on here will attack me for it.

I expect that there are many of us on this forum who abide by traffic laws, but still enjoy our sports cars. How? We track our cars on a regular basis. If you race someone on the street, your adrenaline will be pumping and you won't be focussing on how fast you are going. Your focus will be strictly on beating the other guy. So things can get out of hand in a couple of seconds, even if that wasn't your intention. Accidents aside, if a police officer catches you street racing, you are in serious trouble, at least in my State. That's why some of us believe that the risk/reward ratio for street racing, just doesn't make any sense.

Of course when traffic conditions permit, I think that almost all of us periodically push our cars on the street, but that's a far cry from a street race.

gixxerbill 01-24-2014 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Motohead279 (Post 1585999165)
Well you still have to be in control of the bike at the track, but there are a lot less distractions and it much safer. But you still have to ride within your limits. I ride in the advanced group.

I ride advanced too . But at the track you have to push limits to get faster which makes it more dangerous than the street. Put another pic of me stunting a bourget chopper on the freeway.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...berpics086.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...erstunt029.jpg

jackhall99 01-24-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by diesel225 (Post 1585999062)
lol, now you stepped in it.

one i used this analogy because i used to teach martial arts. two i studied under my father since the age of 5 till 18 in TKD my father got his second black in korea under jon rhea, i then dabbled in mantis for some time and then studied JKD under richard torres who is in magazines.

his sifu is ted wong you know the guy in the books with bruce lee. one of the only 2 certified guys to teach jkd from bruce lee.

i then became an instructor for a couple years in jkd. please stop talking out of your ass on a subject you now nothing about. It was an analogy, nothing more.

My martial art is a combat martial art. We used to wear metal head gear and and a cup and test what we learned full force daily. no rules if i got kicked in the nuts during sparring that was my bad not his. you can do the old school stuff and never use it. I'm not into bushido stuff. Its called martial arts meaning warrior arts.

by the way i used to kick the crap out of the reg karate guys who used to come to are school and challenge us to fight claiming they were a red sash or some crap or fourth dan. belts mean nothing to me. the reason we beat them every time is we like boxers fight each other for real. please stop with the ridiculous posts.

sorry for hijacking the thread. but i can't stand people who attack the person online and not there opinion.

I did not "step in" anything. :nonod:

Since you proclaim to be an expert, you should know your analogy was a poor choice. Nobody who has trained for a lifetime will not defend themselves or others in the time of danger. That is all I was stating. :thumbs:

Incidentally, a true master does not brag.

Finally, a new member with eight posts, bragging in a thread about street racing? :rofl:

jackhall99 01-24-2014 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by sly1 (Post 1586000769)
I expect that there are many of us on this forum who abide by traffic laws, but still enjoy our sports cars. How? We track our cars on a regular basis. If you race someone on the street, your adrenaline will be pumping and you won't be focussing on how fast you are going. Your focus will be strictly on beating the other guy. So things can get out of hand in a couple of seconds, even if that wasn't your intention. Accidents aside, if a police officer catches you street racing, you are in serious trouble, at least in my State. That's why some of us believe that the risk/reward ratio for street racing, just doesn't make any sense.

Of course when traffic conditions permit, I think that almost all of us periodically push our cars on the street, but that's a far cry from a street race.

Very well stated. :thumbs:

GOLD72 01-24-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sly1 (Post 1586000769)

:iagree: All of us have "punched it" from time to time and taken freeway sweepers at hyper speed because we can. However, the dynamics completely change when you have two drivers competing with each other. One or the other or both may throw caution to the wind in the heat of the moment with terrible consequences. Hence why street racing everywhere is dangerous and illegal and must not be condoned. I am certainly not holier than anyone else in saying this.

jackhall99 01-24-2014 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by diesel225 (Post 1585999062)
lol, now you stepped in it. .... i studied under my father since the age of 5 till 18 in TKD .... i then dabbled in mantis for some time ... i then became an instructor for a couple years in jkd. please stop talking out of your ass on a subject you now nothing about. .... .

by the way i used to kick the crap out of the reg karate guys who used to come to are school and challenge us to fight claiming they were a red sash ... or some crap or fourth dan. belts mean nothing to me. the reason we beat them every time is we like boxers fight each other for real. please stop with the ridiculous posts. .... .

I was not going to post this to you, but you are so fake I can't resist. :D

You go on and on about 13 years of training in martial arts under your father, then dabbled (martial arts students don't dabble) a few years, then you instructed for years.

I could buy that, but then you shove your foot down your throat by stating "i used to kick the crap out of the reg karate guys who used to come to are school and challenge us to fight claiming they were a red sash..."

A student who has earned his red belt (9th kyu in Shotokan) has been a student of the arts for two months, maybe three? They would never come to your dojo to "challenge" you or anybody else.

A 4th Dan, or Yondan, has had 13 or more years of serious training to earn that, and as with the 9th kyu student, they would not challenge anybody to fight. And you would not "kick the crap out of" a student holding this degree.

I do not want to argue with you as that is not my intent, but you are sounding a bit foolish. :cheers:

Blown-C7 01-24-2014 01:15 PM

:lurk:

Bad subject to bring on this forum...have a lot of people that never go a mile over the speed limit, and obey the law to the max, and others that, well, don't. Lol

gixxerbill 01-24-2014 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 02txceta (Post 1586003109)
:lurk:

Bad subject to bring on this forum...have a lot of people that never go a mile over the speed limit, and obey the law to the max, and others that, well, don't. Lol

on the other and INTERESTING subject because of the two extreme view points....now you answer the question...? :yesnod:

Corgidog1 01-24-2014 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by diesel225 (Post 1585999572)
agreed.
I'm starting to feel like theres a bunch of old men on this thread who buy corvettes as a status symbol. i hear stuff like i have nothing to prove and neither do must of us who from time to time punch it on the open road. we just enjoy going fast and a challenge by another fast car is fun as well. not all the time but why get a super car if your going to drive it like miss daisy 24/7. again my opinion I'm sure someone on here will attack me for it.

1. Old men do not buy Corvettes as status symbols, they buy mercedes and BMWs.
2. Mature people (not talking about age) do not street race.
3. My 65 yr. old body enjoys the feeling of stepping on the gas of a fast car and feeling the thrust of acceleration as opposed to going fast. I love going 25 in second and hitting it to 40 45 before shifting, or going 40 in third and hitting it to 55 or just busting it out of a toll booth to 60-obviously when the road is open. I just love feeling the response of a quick car.

I have had 2 corvettes in the past and plan on buying a C7 in the near future because I love corvettes-not to impress anyone. I could care less if someone has a faster car than me or wants to find out.

Blown-C7 01-24-2014 02:13 PM

Let's just say I don't mind a little "sport" now, and again...:lol:

C5Txfan 01-24-2014 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Corgidog1 (Post 1586003502)
3. My 65 yr. old body enjoys the feeling of stepping on the gas of a fast car and feeling the thrust of acceleration as opposed to going fast. I love going 25 in second and hitting it to 40 45 before shifting, or going 40 in third and hitting it to 55 or just busting it out of a toll booth to 60-obviously when the road is open. I just love feeling the response of a quick car.

I have had 2 corvettes in the past and plan on buying a C7 in the near future because I love corvettes-not to impress anyone. I could care less if someone has a faster car than me or wants to find out.

:iagree: well stated ... i didn't buy mine to impress or race anyone .. just to enjoy cruising with top down and having fun in it ! :yesnod: :cheers:

gixxerbill 01-24-2014 02:26 PM

I thought they bought them to pick up young chicks?

VNAMVET 01-24-2014 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by caker (Post 1585971092)
Ha Ha ,,, This is the best action yet on CF . Is zero to 30 in 1.2 sec a race ? In a 30 zone of course.:woohoo:

Yes. I was cited for that infraction. "Exhibition of speed" cost me a $50 fine.

Now, to answer the OP's original question:

I never let anyone pass me.... ever. I always race anyone who attempts to pass. I also
drive at least 30 mph over any speed limit. If someone attempts to over take me,
I accelerate to maximum speed and also (rarely, as it is unsafe) swerve into his lane,
just to show them I am in complete control......

BacknBlack 01-24-2014 03:10 PM

:bs

Old men make up the majority of sales. When I bought my first vette at 21, I was always asked if it was my fathers car.

Yes old men buy Benz or Bimmers but since the inception of the C5, they have been making their way over to the Corvette. Hence the snobbish, arrogant and ignorant statements on these forums. Corvette to them is a status symbol and is treated like a Benz or a Bimmer. These are the same d-bags that pull up next to me at a gas station, see my '03 or '93(which I keep immaculate) and ask me, "why don't you buy a new one like mine?". That is their only question for me. And GM wonders why the vette doesn't appeal to a younger crowd. Maybe it has more to to with their customer base then the car itself.

Corgidog1 01-24-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BacknBlack (Post 1586004044)

Old men make up the majority of sales. When I bought my first vette at 21, I was always asked if it was my fathers car.

Yes old men buy Benz or Bimmers but since the inception of the C5, they have been making their way over to the Corvette. Hence the snobbish, arrogant and ignorant statements on these forums. Corvette to them is a status symbol and is treated like a Benz or a Bimmer. These are the same d-bags that pull up next to me at a gas station, see my '03 or '93(which I keep immaculate) and ask me, "why don't you buy a new one like mine?". That is their only question for me. And GM wonders why the vette doesn't appeal to a younger crowd. Maybe it has more to to with their customer base then the car itself.

I agree that old men do make up the majority of sales, however the reason for buying a corvette for these guys is rarely "status"--meaning to show the world I have arrived. I think the major reason is that they either had it when they were young, or in most cases wanted to have it when they were young, but could not afford it. Now that kids are grown the need for a family sedan is lessened, money is more available, and they are at the age where its time to get things you really wanted or reward yourself for working 40 or so years.

Status,schmatus.......

PUGPROUD 01-24-2014 04:51 PM

The reason old men buy Vettes is that they worked hard their entire lives raising a family, paying bills and saving so that one day later they might do something for themselves after making personal sacrifices over the years for the ones they love. They earned it and so shouldn't they enjoy themselves. And to BacknBlack all I can say is that in time when you are old one day and driving your Vette you will have a change of heart about old men driving Vettes...or you will be dead. God willing it will be the former.

C5Txfan 01-24-2014 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BacknBlack (Post 1586004044)

:bs I'm 60+ and I damn sure didn't buy mine to be a status symbol. I've had several Vettes over the years and all were for me to enjoy driving as I pleased .. not like some a-hold thinks I should be driving. If someone else wants to fly down the road at 100+ with their hair on fire .. more power to ya .. until you wreck or land in jail without a car. When I was back in my 20's with my '65 yeah I used to race some and drive fast. But now I drive mine the way I want to and only the way I want to - not trying to impress 'anybody' ! :thumbs: :cheers:

B747VET 01-24-2014 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585980054)
you make all very good points especially idiots that don't know how to drive. but its hard to spin out a doing 60mph on the freeway. the courts and cops yea that part sux makes me ALMOST not want to either.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

If you look on You Tube you can easily find the video of a ZR1 spinning out on a freeway and hitting one or two other Corvettes while some club was making a run. So, no, even on the freeway, anyone with 400+ HP can lose it hot dogging, go sideways from the fast lane, cross the middle lane, and cream one or two other Vettes in the slow lane.:cheers:

B747VET 01-24-2014 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by BacknBlack (Post 1585988136)
Buying a vette, just to show off, is like buying a pool and never using it because you 'already know how wet it is'. It seems like every time a new generation of Corvette is released, this forum fills up with posers. Buying a vette, for anything else than racing, is not a good way to validate one's self. It doesn't make people envy you and it doesn't put you first in any line. What i'm trying to say is, buying a vette (especially a new one) doesn't make you special. Winning a race does!

This is why I believe most vette owners hide behind the guise of safety when it comes to lining up against someone. They never were competitive throughout their lives so they have to make a showing of it now by buying a new vette. Maybe they are suffering from low T or something. Drag racing a sports car is a transference of testosterone:rock:. Otherwise, buying one and not racing it makes you a women.

Here are 4 steps to repeat over and over when owning a vette

Race it - Break it - Fix it - Race it.

Speaking of Low T behaviors ... :nonod:

Trans C7 01-24-2014 05:58 PM

In my younger days I used to street race for money, and after several friends, people I knew got killed, not worth it, anything can happen. If I want to go fast go to the track. I do however drive fast, I have a high dollar Radar, and sometimes you see people try to chase after you, when I notice I back down, again not worth it. I am mature and know if I get a ticket what the cost will be, but no way street racing in Florida, at a certain speed it can be a felony, and half the people on the road cannot handle a car at 60 let alone 100 mph plus, the person you race, may be the person that crashed into you or others, then you are liable:ack: