CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do you race when people pull beside you to challenge? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3407262-do-you-race-when-people-pull-beside-you-to-challenge.html)

gixxerbill 01-19-2014 11:59 PM

Do you race when people pull beside you to challenge?

IF yes, what have you beaten and what has beaten you.

I have gone a few times. I have beat 3 mustangs, a couple of camaros and 2 c6 vettes(roll ons 60mphish) Nothing has beat me yet.

I know I shouldn't do it but its sooo tempting. IF it doesn't look safe I just ignore the challenge.

Well?

Glen e 01-20-2014 12:00 AM

have you read the rules of the board?

gixxerbill 01-20-2014 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585965231)

i thought I read somewhere it was ok. if not the mods can delete and I apologize.

jr3 01-20-2014 01:00 AM

Just ignore them and act like they don't exist, or your talking on the phone... it pi$$e$ some of'em off because you wont even take the time to notice them.

themonk 01-20-2014 01:08 AM

no, I laugh at them.

thedofuss 01-20-2014 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585965221)

I have gone a few times. I have beat 3 mustangs, a couple of camaros and 2 c6 vettes(roll ons 60mphish) Nothing has beat me yet.

I know I shouldn't do it but its sooo tempting. IF it doesn't look safe I just ignore the challenge.

Well?

i do, but i have an lr2 land rover, and they dont know im racing them. never lost, but only go up to about 40 mph.:yesnod:

thedofuss 01-20-2014 01:14 AM

note to forum: i for one have the highest regard for all the mods, and try to abide by all forum rules, despite how difficult that can be when some a**hole responds.

Second Vette 01-20-2014 02:05 AM

Well?

Nope, I've heard that age increases common sense. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you want to have fun with them, put the Car in Track Mode so the Performance Exhaust opens up and downshift a Gear. Don't forget to laugh hysterically when you do it. :lol:

duramaxsky 01-20-2014 02:08 AM

No it's stupid. I want to keep my DL.

glenB 01-20-2014 06:21 AM

Depends on the car, ricers no, but I did once, twice actually, run a diesel. With the weight and 4 wheel drive he was good out of the hole but that was it. He got what he wanted to see, my tail lights and we all laughed and went our way.

But yes, on occasion, I will........

Street racing is not forbidden here anymore, so until such time, smoke'm if you hav'm

gthal 01-20-2014 06:46 AM

Nope... just look at them and giggle as if to say "yeah, right... not wasting my time on that hunk of junk (even if they are in a Ferrari :D)."

Besides, it is dangerous on public streets and I'm not interested in having the car impounded or, worse yet, killing someone and having to live with that. I get my kicks at the track.

bigterpsfan 01-20-2014 07:07 AM

With 550rwhp, it is a lose lose situation for me. I should beat most anything that pulls up next to me. So IF I were to race and win, well that was supposed to happen. If I were to lose then, I lose. If I were to get pulled over, I lose. If I were to wreck and hurt myself or someone else, many people lose. The problem is that people don't play the tape all the way through to the end be for they act/react. If you race many people may lose, even your loved ones if you are dead or sitting in jail. I win every time, because I just don't race. I am too cheap to race at the track, because I don't want to break my car and have to fix it. However, if drag racing is your thing, take it to the track and have at it; just make sure you have track insurance or can self insure.

Racerdj 01-20-2014 07:36 AM

I have not had any challenges in any of my cars yet.

BBBOOMR 01-20-2014 07:38 AM

I usually get jacked up 3/4t pickups, ricers or '89 Celebertys. I can't race them cuz I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard but I'll try opening the NPP to see what happens. :rofl:

Waytofastvette2006 01-20-2014 07:56 AM

If the other person maybe has a chance and I'm 99% certain the police aren't around yeah ill race

I would love to race a first / second gen viper that would be cool.

But as I've gotten older I've realized all these cool cars are at the drag strip ! It's a nice straight line with a sticky surface !!

DanTheFireman 01-20-2014 08:06 AM

No, plenty of challenges though. Let them go on the Saturn or Prius forum and proclaim how they "beat" a Vette, don't care. When I choose to have some fun the only one who will get screwed if it goes wrong is me.

Chicago1 01-20-2014 08:29 AM

Way to many waxers around here but I do every chance I get in Mexico of course. Plenty of street racing vids around here..You just have to be racing in another country it seems for it to let it fly on this board. Your better off asking this on ls1tech as you see people get offended here very easy

sfc rick 01-20-2014 08:53 AM

C7 racing me.....snicker, snicker, snicker.....Still hoping to get one to try. No one is invincible BTW, even with all the power in the world something can always go wrong. Even I can miss a shift or just decide to let the other guy feel mighty big. Or like someone posted earlier and just pretend like I'm on the phone and laugh uncontrollably at the thought. Especially if the poor guy is in his new ride and thinks it's all that, really pisses them off. If you street race, you certainly deserve whatever you get, and sometimes it's really expensive and or fatal. On another note.....BE CAREFUL, because that new owner may not even have experience to know what he's doing.

Edited....I've never beat a C7, I'm guessing I may never get to.

Geof180 01-20-2014 09:17 AM

no..

Chicago1 01-20-2014 09:19 AM

^ I'm thinking if a c7 rolls up and they look/hear your car they probably wouldn't want any. Those fuzzy dice are intimidating!!! Could be the blower but I go with the dice :cheers:

Dudeurgettnavette 01-20-2014 09:21 AM

That's illegal...

Glenmcp 01-20-2014 09:42 AM

In Florida, street racing is a $1,500 fine and loss of license for one year. Your insurance will triple if not be canceled. That is just too much for me to be able to see which car is faster off the line.

Blackdevil77 01-20-2014 09:50 AM

It's tempting sometimes, but I can't. I have a CDL license and I drive for a living. I get caught doing something like that, not only do I get arrested and probably loose my license, since everything on a CDL license is worth double then that of a regular license (3 pt ticket=6 pts with a CDL), but I'd probably loose my job as well. My livelihood is on the line. I have way to much at stake to risk it doing something like that for a few seconds of potential fun. Simply not worth it for me.

Mike Campbell 01-20-2014 10:09 AM

I've raced plenty on a track but street racing is just plain stupid. It's one thing to come out of a light a little heavy or goose it once or twice but I don't subject myself to the risk of breaking loose and killing myself or anyone else.:crazy2: When you do race on a prepped strip and realize how hard it is to control 400 plus hp you understand how quick any car can lose it on the street. :yesnod:

W88fixer 01-20-2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by glenB (Post 1585965874)
Street racing is not forbidden here anymore, so until such time, smoke'm if you hav'm

I find it hard to believe that street racing is legal anywhere. Don

HalfMoon 01-20-2014 10:18 AM

I have a good handle on my abilities, but I have no idea about the possible lunatic in the other car, so... No.

I know this has been posted on the forum 10,001 times, but this enforces my point.

W88fixer 01-20-2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1585966295)
Way to many waxers around here but I do every chance I get in Mexico of course. Plenty of street racing vids around here..You just have to be racing in another country it seems for it to let it fly on this board. Your better off asking this on ls1tech as you see people get offended here very easy

You’d be nuts to race in Rio Rancho (your listed location). Cops there are nazis on speeding, quick trip to the slam.

Yes, I do know, my son is an experienced Albuquerque cop and we lived in ABQ for 23 yrs until 2011. Don

Chicago1 01-20-2014 10:24 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...on-street.html

NSC5 01-20-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell (Post 1585967019)
I've raced plenty on a track but street racing is just plain stupid. It's one thing to come out of a light a little heavy or goose it once or twice but I don't subject myself to the risk of breaking loose and killing myself or anyone else.:crazy2: \

And those lights are the "gray area". On my usual commute home the state route goes from 4 lane 45 MPH to 2 lane 55 MPH just past a traffic light. Within 3/4 mile the speed drops back to 45 in a 2 mile residential section with lots of people making left turns but there is no center turn lane. Traffic can be pretty heavy so you really don't want to get stuck behind someone attempting a left turn. When the opportunity presents itself I try not to be behind one or more cars leaving that light. In reality the right lane should end at the light and I have seen a couple of accidents where someone lost it trying to accelerate too quickly with a damp roadway in the lane that is ending.

Lately I am using a new route because the addition of three new traffic signals on my old route has made it worthwhile to drive an extra mile on a faster alternate route so now I get to watch the "problem intersection" from the perpendicular road. Now it is more amusing than annoying.

Street racing is going to become a more expensive pursuit in many jurisdictions. There are plenty of youtube videos that many find offensive and enforcement presents a good revenue stream.

03SGVETTE 01-20-2014 11:01 AM

recently took the new york state defensive driving course, this tragedy case was covered during the course, including interviews with family members:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.907902

no, I don't race.

DanTheFireman 01-20-2014 11:02 AM

Just be careful out there Chicago. In a 26 year career as a paramedic in a busy zone we cut plenty of street heroes out of all kinds of nice scrap metal. We lost my nephew to an 18 year old cool guy racing another bike two years ago - it's amazing what a street bike and body can do to an F150 pickup.

BTW, the Top Fuel and Funny pro warmups were awesome Saturday. My mind still can't grasp how one can shut down 200 feet out and coast thru with a 7.6 and a trap of 88. Now those guys (and ladies) are the real deal.

KenHorse 01-20-2014 11:13 AM

TBIRD57 01-20-2014 11:13 AM

drag racing....

Well?

too many points...i think in Va. they arrest you and take the car'
you are on borrowed time....

Vetinvett 01-20-2014 11:17 AM

I've had a couple of kids with their folks station wagon and another in a pick up truck, both on date nites with their girlfriends…..They won….Hope they got lucky…..No need to beat them.

Zymurgy 01-20-2014 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585965231)

Glen, apparently you have not re-read them in some time. There is no longer a rule against street racing.

Specracer 01-20-2014 11:25 AM

Years ago I had a friend that had a Porsche 911. He got caught up in the moment with a Viper and after realizing how fast he ended up going he promptly sold his car! He told me later that if he couldn't control his emotions he had no business owning a 911!

MThomas 01-20-2014 11:27 AM

No I just show them my badge. I enjoy my freedom. I'm not going to jail.

HolyRoller 01-20-2014 11:31 AM

By all means, write extensively about your street racing exploits and how you just can't resist a challenge. When you get served with lawsuits from those you injure and the families of those you kill, all a personal injury lawyer has to do is ask what screen names you've used and then look for all your exciting accounts of illegal street racing. Enjoy your next 20 years with a five, six, seven-figure judgment against you and no way to pay it.

HolyRoller 01-20-2014 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1585967629)
Glen, apparently you have not re-read them in some time. There is no longer a rule against street racing.

All the accident investigators, insurance adjusters, detectives, prosecutors, and personal injury lawyers of America thank you for making their jobs easier. Seriously.

Chicago1 01-20-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by W88fixer (Post 1585967107)
You’d be nuts to race in Rio Rancho (your listed location). Cops there are nazis on speeding, quick trip to the slam.

Yes, I do know, my son is an experienced Albuquerque cop and we lived in ABQ for 23 yrs until 2011. Don

I'm afraid to peddle fast around here. There is a place and a time for it in this state and neither is in RR..:lol: Oh I know trust me...

Not in RR..This is before the d1sc I am installing..boss shifting @ 19secs

TX Navy Vet 01-20-2014 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585965510)
no, I laugh at them.

I do the same.

Zymurgy 01-20-2014 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by HolyRoller (Post 1585967692)
All the accident investigators, insurance adjusters, detectives, prosecutors, and personal injury lawyers of America thank you for making their jobs easier. Seriously.

I don't make the rules, I just try to enforce them.

Vetteman Jack 01-20-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1585965897)
Besides, it is dangerous on public streets and I'm not in having the car impounded or, worse yet, killing someone and having to live with that. I get my kicks at the track.

Can't argue with that and totally agree. In my younger days I would have said game on, but with age comes at least some wisdom.

VIK TOY 01-20-2014 12:27 PM

No, neither one of us do. If we did we would be racing every "ricer" in OR&WA. It is so silly these POSs challenging us all the time.

gixxerbill 01-20-2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan (Post 1585965949)
With 550rwhp, it is a lose lose situation for me. I should beat most anything that pulls up next to me. So IF I were to race and win, well that was supposed to happen. If I were to lose then, I lose. If I were to get pulled over, I lose. If I were to wreck and hurt myself or someone else, many people lose. The problem is that people don't play the tape all the way through to the end be for they act/react. If you race many people may lose, even your loved ones if you are dead or sitting in jail. I win every time, because I just don't race. I am too cheap to race at the track, because I don't want to break my car and have to fix it. However, if drag racing is your thing, take it to the track and have at it; just make sure you have track insurance or can self insure.

Good points...except what is the point of the 550 rwhp ?

gixxerbill 01-20-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by HolyRoller (Post 1585967692)

you are a negative nelly holly roller. there is no difference in what I have done compared to what you have done in your vette. Don't tell me that you have never just hit when you are going 60mph or so up to a 90 or a 100. That is all i am doing. I wouldn't race from a stop unless I knew the person too many bad drivers off the line. These are just freeway rollons. I moron could do it. If you never rack through the gears you should buy a Prius instead of a vette.

AK47 01-20-2014 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585968179)

agree. why do you even have a corvette??

Chicago1 01-20-2014 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 1585968293)

The lifestyle man the lifestyle...

http://www.corvetteclothing.com/imag...OL._AA280_.jpg

gixxerbill 01-20-2014 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1585968371)

lol ...if he says he has the vette to get chicks I will give him a pass. :lol:

HolyRoller 01-20-2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585968251)
you are a negative nelly holly roller. there is no difference in what I have done compared to what you have done in your vette. Don't tell me that you have never just hit when you are going 60mph or so up to a 90 or a 100. That is all i am doing. I wouldn't race from a stop unless I knew the person too many bad drivers off the line. These are just freeway rollons. I moron could do it. If you never rack through the gears you should buy a Prius instead of a vette.

Sure, 100 and more, when nobody else is around, on the back roads where I've lived for ten years, in the stretches that have no houses or driveways. That way I only hurt myself and my car if anything goes wrong, and I don't get charged with racing on public roads and lose my car and license.

If you just gotta race and you never hit anything, no prob. If you just gotta race and you do hit something, or somebody, or get caught racing, big prob, not least because you keep writing posts like that.

gregd 01-20-2014 01:54 PM

No. I can't afford the ticket and I am not willing to risk damage to my car or others. Besides, the challenger is usually drivng some POS and the outcome is obvious. That said I cannot say I have never gotten caught up in a situation where some a----ole decides to speed up when I am passing but that's another situation entirely. Ditto a few smooth straight back country roads I,know with almost no traffic - but in those cases its just me. Regular streets are just not the place.

red2012 01-20-2014 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dudeurgettnavette (Post 1585966658)
That's illegal...

Only if you get caught.

PUGPROUD 01-20-2014 02:06 PM

...At a light I rev to 6,500 rpm and then let them look like an ass as they take off alone tires screeching
...On the highway I'm always in the far left lane so no one passes me on right in traffic or I let them by on right to uncover speed traps if any.

When I was younger no one passed me under any circumstances but a few high priced tickets, boredom sitting in defensive driving classes to get points removed from my license and a couple of close calls taught me to control my Alpha male tendencies.

Bandit's C4 01-20-2014 02:16 PM

Nope... no desire - survived my young and dumb years.

jackhall99 01-20-2014 02:19 PM

. .... Well?

I ignore immature people who want to street race. :thumbs:

C5Txfan 01-20-2014 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4 (Post 1585968987)

:iagree::iagree: Same here .. was young & dumb and street raced many years ago ... as many have said .. age brings wisdom (and slower reflexes !!!! ) :cheers:

Torch Red C7 01-20-2014 02:46 PM

I have a Corvette because of the way it drives and accelerates and mainly because I can afford it and I feel like having one. That's the only answer you deserve.

If I want to race someone, I will take it to a track or private property.

If you want to nitpick at someone else's possessions, then be prepared to justify everything you own to some schmuck who thinks you aren't using it the way he thinks you should.

"Why do you own such a big house when you have no kids"
"Why do you have a large screen TV when you don't really watch any cool movies?
"Why do you own such cool sneakers when you don't even run"

How about "mind your own business?"

Mr. Peabody 01-20-2014 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585968251)
you are a negative nelly holly roller. ....... I moron .................you should buy a Prius instead of a vette.

Hmmmm Freudian slip ...... or the truth comes out??:rofl:

millers1 01-20-2014 03:24 PM

It's just not worth losing your life, or even worse killing someone else!

C5-JIM 01-20-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Second Vette (Post 1585965643)
Nope, I've heard that age increases common sense. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you want to have fun with them, put the Car in Track Mode so the Performance Exhaust opens up and downshift a Gear. Don't forget to laugh hysterically when you do it. :lol:

No you are not wrong, at age 69 I still love it. If I wanted to go slow I would have bought a Chevette instead of a Corvette and saved a ton of money My thoughts are if you are not living on the edge you are wasting space.
C5-JIM :hide:

455230 01-20-2014 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585968179)

About as useful as tits on a bull ... in this case....

Vette owners seem to be a particular bunch....Lots of bench racers who will modify their cars for more power...then never use it....

455230 01-20-2014 03:45 PM

Something to wax?

HogwildC7 01-20-2014 04:32 PM

no i enjoy my car, its a daily driver so i dont drive it hard but like a normal car

tentorium 01-20-2014 05:29 PM

I've had 2 Camaros and 1 Mustang try to get me going but I didn't bite and they ended up looking like a&&holes. :lol:

2vette2 01-20-2014 05:32 PM

no, I laugh at them.

Me too. :cool:

AK47 01-20-2014 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585969207)
I have a Corvette because of the way it drives and accelerates and mainly because I can afford it and I feel like having one. That's the only answer you deserve.

If I want to race someone, I will take it to a track or private property.

If you want to nitpick at someone else's possessions, then be prepared to justify everything you own to some schmuck who thinks you aren't using it the way he thinks you should.

"Why do you own such a big house when you have no kids"

Oh i am sorry I hurt your feelings because you only have the guts to drive your corvette like it's 4 door sedan.

He said he is too cheap to take it to the track, hence he doesn't. And i bet you don't either.

hotrod2147 01-20-2014 06:03 PM

no, I laugh at them.

:iagree::D

hotrod2147 01-20-2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4 (Post 1585968987)

:iagree: :thumbs:

gixxerbill 01-20-2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody (Post 1585969391)
Hmmmm Freudian slip ...... or the truth comes out??:rofl:

I know I saw that...hoping no one else. did. :hide:

caker 01-20-2014 06:37 PM

Ha Ha ,,, This is the best action yet on CF . Is zero to 30 in 1.2 sec a race ? In a 30 zone of course.:woohoo:

gixxerbill 01-20-2014 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585969207)

sure you can just as someone can have a pretty wife and only makes love to her only on anniversaries. what a waste and if your vette was a chick she would cheat on you. :D

Why do you own such a big house when you have no kids"
I don't its around 2200 and its perfectly fine for me. I think having a big house is a waste I would rather have numerous practical houses in different areas.

I watch 10 movies a week.

I don't I have 4 year old ones that I wear to gym. Having bad ass sneakers is a waste of money unless you do run.

think this is my my thread so it is my business once you post in it. Now put that foot on that accelerator and drive that sexy bitch like they are meant to be driven. :rock:

thedofuss 01-20-2014 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1585968371)

do people actually wear these?

HalfMoon 01-20-2014 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by thedofuss (Post 1585972851)
do people actually wear these?

Wait, your dealer didn't tell you? When you buy your first corvette you sign a binding contract to wear that every third Saturday for the first 8 months. Its a club initiation thing.

coupeguyz51 01-20-2014 10:48 PM

Well?

No. I have nothing to prove against ricers, mustangs and other riff raff...

Torch Red C7 01-20-2014 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 1585970752)
Oh i am sorry I hurt your feelings because you only have the guts to drive your corvette like it's 4 door sedan.

He said he is too cheap to take it to the track, hence he doesn't. And i bet you don't either.

You're right, since I have only had it 10 days and haven't hit 500 miles in it yet. On the other hand, I'm a deputy and I have been to enough scenes of crashes from street racing to know about guys just like you. I have helped scraped pieces of your friends from intersections while people stand on the sidewalk saying "did you see how fast that dude was going?" and then go walking on down the street illuminated by ambulance lights. I can only hope that when you wrap yourself around a pole that you don't hurt somebody innocent while you were proving how huge your manhood was to some kid who dared rev his engine at you.

No, you didn't hurt my feeling at all. You would have to be someone important to me to hurt my feelings.

DanTheFireman 01-20-2014 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 1585970752)
Oh i am sorry I hurt your feelings because you only have the GUTS to drive your corvette like it's 4 door sedan.

Impressive… an automatic weapon as a moniker and guts (those things we cover with a moistened trauma dressing enroute to the ER - we'll obviously need more dressings for yours).

jackhall99 01-20-2014 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585973525)
You're right, since I have only had it 10 days and haven't hit 500 miles in it yet. On the other hand, I'm a deputy and I have been to enough scenes of crashes from street racing to know about guys just like you. I have helped scraped pieces of your friends from intersections while people stand on the sidewalk saying "did you see how fast that dude was going?" and then go walking on down the street illuminated by ambulance lights. I can only hope that when you wrap yourself around a pole that you don't hurt somebody innocent while you were proving how huge your manhood was to some kid who dared rev his engine at you.

No, you didn't hurt my feeling at all. You would have to be someone important to me to hurt my feelings.

Thanks. :thumbs: :yesnod:

Big talkers like AK47 make me laugh. I also pray that innocent people aren't injured or killed when he loses it. :cheers:

vforrest 01-20-2014 11:44 PM

:iagree:.....nice ending....with an.....!

WICKEDFRC 01-20-2014 11:57 PM

This happened just this past weekend.

Cruising down Speedway in Tucson, Arizona after a leisure ride up Mount Lemmon in the 2013 Z06 with my GF. Some young, dumb, full of stupidity clown slows down his Mitsubishi GST or Eclipse, gets his POS into boost and zips past me on the right.....he slows down again, so I slightly speed up to get over and allow YDFOS kid pass me by. Again, he drops down, gets into boost, and jets past me all while his oil and other **** is scavenging out his fart can. A part of me wanted to drop down and punch it but.....common sense and the little Angel on my left should said "Don't".

Then after YDFOS clown races off into the sunset by himself, a pickup truck with two young dumb rednecks passes by as if they wanted to race too. F'king morons. And when they raced past, I got a "thumbs down" from Redneck #2 in the passenger seat.

Great. I got smoked by two pieces of **** this weekend.

BacknBlack 01-21-2014 12:25 AM

I love the arrogance of some on this site. Laughing at some 'p.o.s' that wants to race you. Some of those pieces are very quick and would rape you off a light. They want to notch a new vette on their belt. So maybe it's better that you make up excuses not to race, that way you won't get your feelings hurt.

I've done tons of street racing over the years. Some of it for money. I guess I have won a couple of thousand in that time span. Most of it wasn't with my cammed '03 vette, it is with my '93. I guess most see a stock looking C4 and assume they have an easy win :nonod:. I've run guys with turbo Miata's that run low 12s, along with Evo's and Subs that are masters at the 4k dump. There are really quick imports out there and their owners have a lot of pride in their cars. They put blood, sweat and tears into modifying these machines, not buying something expensive and go about thinking they are king of the hill :rolleyes:.

Usually, I'll race up to the end of second gear(80mph). If I'm pulling, the race ends there. If it was close, I ask the competition if they want a run in a more secluded place. Nothing like street racing that gets the heart pumping.

AK47 01-21-2014 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1585973668)
Thanks. :thumbs: :yesnod:

Big talkers like AK47 make me laugh. I also pray that innocent people aren't injured or killed when he loses it. :cheers:

:withstupid:
wait a minute here. i never said i street raced, i never have.
I take my car to tracks to grip and sometimes to drift events. Drag racing is not my thing.

I asked what's the point of all that hp if you never going to use it, since the original guy, who i was replying to, said he was too scared to take his car to the track.

Most of corvette owners have no guts to push the car.

So no idea what you are talking about buddy.. and the rest of you who thought i street race

Bandit's C4 01-21-2014 05:11 AM

Two words.... Paul Walker.

glenB 01-21-2014 06:11 AM

As long as I've been here I never realized that nobody ever exceeded the speed limit, made a turn without an indicator on or followed every law of the road ....... congrates...... including the officers who text while driving, although that's a no-no here, or the parent talking on the cell phone while driving and setting a bad example for their children or the business man who had a drink before driving home.... good job, we're all proud of you. Sounds like a bunch of Baptists or tolerant democrats

sfc rick 01-21-2014 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BacknBlack (Post 1585973948)
I love the arrogance of some on this site. Laughing at some 'p.o.s' that wants to race you. Some of those pieces are very quick and would rape you off a light. They want to notch a new vette on their belt. So maybe it's better that you make up excuses not to race, that way you won't get your feelings hurt.

I've done tons of street racing over the years. Some of it for money. I guess I have won a couple of thousand in that time span. Most of it wasn't with my cammed '03 vette, it is with my '93. I guess most see a stock looking C4 and assume they have an easy win :nonod:. I've run guys with turbo Miata's that run low 12s, along with Evo's and Subs that are masters at the 4k dump. There are really quick imports out there and their owners have a lot of pride in their cars. They put blood, sweat and tears into modifying these machines, not buying something expensive and go about thinking they are king of the hill :rolleyes:.

Usually, I'll race up to the end of second gear(80mph). If I'm pulling, the race ends there. If it was close, I ask the competition if they want a run in a more secluded place. Nothing like street racing that gets the heart pumping.

:iagree:

When I'm on a deserted stretch.... I'm on it. If a guy is also next to me on a deserted stretch....I'm still on it.

I didn't build it to be a p***y.
:flag:

Chicago1 01-21-2014 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4 (Post 1585974360)
Two words.... Paul Walker.

?? He wasn't the one driving and they weren't racing anyone..Lost on this

JockItch 01-21-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1585974876)
?? He wasn't the one driving and they weren't racing anyone..Lost on this

Two more words.... Princess Diana.

PUGPROUD 01-21-2014 08:50 AM

Life is good until something bad happens. Use common sense, know your limitations. The only thing you can control is yourself...not the next guy (driving on bald tires in freezing weather), not the mother with five kids in an SUV that runs a stop sign (yes she T boned me and drove me up on the sidewalk), not the road (ever hit black ice or standing water just as you hit the sweet spot of the torque curve), not the dog running into the street after a ball (sure do miss Duke), and not even your own car (parts do fail when least expected). Have fun...but be smart and be safe out there.

gixxerbill 01-21-2014 09:39 AM

What's wrong with Ak 47's user name? Are you goody two shoes gun hat'n liberal democrats too? Sheesh, you can die walking down the street of a heart attack why not live life instead of being scared to live it. I never feel more alive then when I am traveling triple digits on a bike or a car. To the cop on the board would you rather go out rapped around the poll having fun or dying a slow death of cancer?

NSC5 01-21-2014 09:48 AM

I doubt if anyone here has a problem with someone just risking their own life but that isn't what happens with street racing. Wrapping yourself around a pole is one thing, crossing a line of traffic and taking out a normal motorist is something entirely different. In other words, take it to the track.

gixxerbill 01-21-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1585975554)
I doubt if anyone here has a problem with someone just risking their own life but that isn't what happens with street racing. Wrapping yourself around a pole is one thing, crossing a line of traffic and taking out a normal motorist is something entirely different. In other words, take it to the track.

I see what your saying and agree and if I don't feel it's a good place to go I don't do it.

Specracer 01-21-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1585968074)
Can't argue with that and totally agree. In my younger days I would have said game on, but with age comes at least some wisdom.

Hopefully!

gixxerbill 01-21-2014 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Specracer (Post 1585975566)
Hopefully!

hasn't happen to me yet and I am turning 50 in April. :rock:

sly1 01-21-2014 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan (Post 1585965949)

Outstanding post. You captured the street racing situation perfectly.

Specracer 01-21-2014 09:59 AM

In the very few times I have been in this situation with a Shelby Cobra replica years ago I just smiled at them and didn't take the bait! Not only would I risk paying a heavy fine, maybe losing my drivers license, hurting or killing someone (including myself), or going to jail, I could also lose my career! I would just be satisfied knowing that the C7 has it in it to out run most cars on the road today! That would be enough for me!

WICKEDFRC 01-21-2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BacknBlack (Post 1585973948)

In my situation, I'd say it wasn't arrogance because I would have loved to run 'em, regardless of win, lose, or draw. I'd call it more common sense given the location. Believe me, I enjoy my moments of wasting resources, but, it was the wrong time and place. Besides - my GF doesn't like that, so she was my Angel on the right that I know would have said "Don't" as soon as I started. :lol: :crazy:

Sometimes - it's not about the clown in the POS next to you, but the people you care about most sitting in the car right beside you, and those innocent pedestrians walking about. :blueangel:

(By the way - I lose gracefully). :yesnod:

caker 01-21-2014 10:01 AM

Only race on public back roads where no one lives on that planet...No sorry that is illegal to.Plan B,:woohoo: zero to sixty in 4 seconds in a sixty/w trac control on , speed limiter on and anti sidways skid plates on. Maybe on the Autobahn not sure. driving fast is very dangerous ..Oh no Sell the sports car!!! NOT.:cheers:

Torch Red C7 01-21-2014 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585975480)
What's wrong with Ak 47's user name? Are you goody two shoes gun hat'n liberal democrats too? Sheesh, you can die walking down the street of a heart attack why not live life instead of being scared to live it. I never feel more alive then when I am traveling triple digits on a bike or a car. To the cop on the board would you rather go out rapped around the poll having fun or dying a slow death of cancer?

Oh, those are my only two choices? How about neither one of those? How about a long happy life? Feel free to behave as you wish in any manner that shortens yours. Just don't be so arrogant as to make that decision for others who may suffer from your poor life decisions.
If you never feel more alive when traveling triple digits, enjoy it while you can before that happiness is either cut short suddenly or you end up explaining to your cellmate how much fun your wheels were before you lost your license.

And by the way, 3 weeks ago I helped scrape the remains of a "Gixxer" off of Interstate 35. Estimates are that he was going about 130 MPH in a 70 zone. Luckily he didn't hit anyone else as he dodged in and out of traffic; he just didn't see that piece of truck tire laying in the road during that last dodge. We found his helmet almost half a mile down the road with his iPod in it, still playing tunes. You gotta hand it to Apple, they sure can make a durable product.

WICKEDFRC 01-21-2014 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7 (Post 1585975675)
.....You gotta hand it to Apple, they sure can make a durable product.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Hahaha. Funny closing comments.

NSC5 01-21-2014 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by gixxerbill (Post 1585975564)
I see what your saying and agree and if I don't feel it's a good place to go I don't do it.

Believe me when I was younger (and less wise) I did some stupid stuff as most of us did. Unlike some of my close friends I was lucky and nothing bad happened. A close high school friend died the night before graduation from a broken neck when he lost it during a street race and went over the seawall onto the beach and the flipping car stopped faster than his head.

Although things can go wrong on the track (and spectators have been injured and killed) the environment is much more controlled. The real problem is that most areas of the country don't really have suitable/accessible tracks for "fun races" and liability concerns work against more of these facilities being built. This is typical of our risk environment where concern about one bad risk (liability) drives the probability of much more serious risk (death/injury to others) far higher. I remember watching one of the old 50s movies last year and one of the scenes has a police officer and city councilman deciding to create a place where the teens could race safely to control that "juvenile delinquency" problem. Too bad that sentiment didn't really take hold.

Racing is a huge adrenaline surge but on the street the possible cost of that "hit" is way too high for most of us.