CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3404438-gm-says-no-corvette-zr1-on-the-radar-is-the-c7-z06-too-good.html)

heavychevy 03-06-2014 03:16 PM

GM is in the business of making faster cars. We are reaching the point of diminishing returns on street tires. When GM comes up with the technology to make use of 750 hp on the street without killing people, they will use it and come out with another vehicle. What it's called will be based on market analysis and brand image. I doubt they run the ZR1 name into the ground by making it again. If they claim the auto is as fast and dual clutch, there won't be much to gain by actually investing in a dual clutch. And even if they did have the tools for a faster car, it's not going to be significantly faster. GM will sell just as many cars by face lifting the Z06.

Remember, they have to make this car run on MPSC and launch and produce ALL relevant performance numbers. 0-60, 1/4 mile, road course, etc. better than the previous models. 750 hp will have to be even more heavy laden with nannies to put that down. 700 hp isn't a wide enough gap to justify a new model line and it's unlikely they can make it significantly faster (in MEDIA tests) than the upcoming Z06.

The C6Z kept the 505 hp throughout the whole run though, so it's possible GM does the same with the C7Z and builds another model. But I would expect the C7 king of the hill to take a track specific appearance or a real GT cruiser that's super heavy and luxurious with a ton of power. But it's not likely to out perform the C7Z much if at all.

Don't forget, most of the road course and drag course difference from the C6Z to ZR1 was in the tires. Once that gap was closed, it was pretty close. Now the Z06 comes with the real deal tires to begin with.

vetteLT193 03-06-2014 03:24 PM

I think the next iteration of the ZR1 / track car will be Z28-esque. I'm thinking called L88 and a very stripped down version of the Z06. Light weight full track edition.

C5Dobie 03-06-2014 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by heavychevy (Post 1586337642)
GM is in the business of making faster cars. We are reaching the point of diminishing returns on street tires. When GM comes up with the technology to make use of 750 hp on the street without killing people, they will use it and come out with another vehicle. What it's called will be based on market analysis and brand image. I doubt they run the ZR1 name into the ground by making it again. If they claim the auto is as fast and dual clutch, there won't be much to gain by actually investing in a dual clutch. And even if they did have the tools for a faster car, it's not going to be significantly faster. GM will sell just as many cars by face lifting the Z06.

Remember, they have to make this car run on MPSC and launch and produce ALL relevant performance numbers. 0-60, 1/4 mile, road course, etc. better than the previous models. 750 hp will have to be even more heavy laden with nannies to put that down. 700 hp isn't a wide enough gap to justify a new model line and it's unlikely they can make it significantly faster (in MEDIA tests) than the upcoming Z06.

The C6Z kept the 505 hp throughout the whole run though, so it's possible GM does the same with the C7Z and builds another model. But I would expect the C7 king of the hill to take a track specific appearance or a real GT cruiser that's super heavy and luxurious with a ton of power. But it's not likely to out perform the C7Z much if at all.

Don't forget, most of the road course and drag course difference from the C6Z to ZR1 was in the tires. Once that gap was closed, it was pretty close. Now the Z06 comes with the real deal tires to begin with.

You've been a member since 2005? Well them you should be aware there are PLENTY of people pretty far removed from being hired as a GM R&D engineer for performance vehicles who are taking street cars up to 650whp - forget about 650 crank hp - and using it just fine. That being said, I don't think GM would have huge difficulty making a 750bhp car for the street- pricier sticker wider tires, heavier duty cooling systems, stiffer internals, more boost- basically a massage of this Z06, boom done.

mike69440 03-08-2014 09:17 AM

What is a a KRS with the 2.3 blower, Did you mean TVS?

Originally Posted by mnavarro (Post 1586324210)
There's plenty of cool technology to put in a ZR1. How about a KRS with the 2.3 blower to put out more hp and torque over then entire power curve of the Z06. Active air brake, more carbon fiber parts like wheels to bring the weight down. These things when added up could make a ZR1 compete with hypercars at a price of 150K or less. I can't afford this but there are enough wealthy people who love corvettes to cost justify a limited run of a LT88 or ZR-1. I don't think the car has to be mid-engine to take advantage of these technologies. Some form of AWD would help more. The KRS could be a real possibility given the packaging of it.

KRS, Please explain?

harlold 03-08-2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mike69440 (Post 1586351433)
KRS, Please explain?

I think he meant KERS

NytmereZ 03-08-2014 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by vetteLT193 (Post 1586337710)
I think the next iteration of the ZR1 / track car will be Z28-esque. I'm thinking called L88 and a very stripped down version of the Z06. Light weight full track edition.

People have been saying that for years and it has never happened and never will.
The Z06 is it no matter what GM says people still think there is a market for a 130k vette , there isn't it , showed in the numbers, this GM is owned by the government they are not going to lose money.

Lavender 03-08-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586351820)
People have been saying that for years and it has never happened and never will.
The Z06 is it no matter what GM says people still think there is a market for a 130k vette , there isn't it , showed in the numbers, this GM is owned by the government they are not going to lose money.

GM penetrated the 100k market with the ZR1 back @ 2008 when the economy collapsed. I'd say theres plenty of market for a limited edition Corvette now when the economy is much much better.

FastestBusaAround 03-08-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1585920752)
If GM wants to keep it at the Z06, I don't have an issue with that. But don't give us a BS answer that the car can't put out more performance. As they said in the article, there are Mustangs that put out over 600 and they cheaper than the Z06. Granted they wouldn't win in a race, I just saying the engine can do it.

Would it be over 100K, yes. But the ZR1 was already at 112K, and it sold, so whats the problem?

Problem is that yes, it sold, but not well enough for GM to continue today.

Why would they even discuss a ZR1 before they've had a chance to test the waters with the new Z06? Financially, it makes no sense.

The ZR1 came out only 3 years after the Z06, which was a year after the base model, in the C6 series, so it makes little sense today for GM to discuss a ZR1 and potentially somewhat cannibalize the sales of the new Z06.

GM builds for the masses, unlike the high end exotic car builders, who charge a much bigger premium for similar performance and finish.

There just isn't enough demand for GM to build a car costing 140K that is marginally better than what the new Z06 promises to be.

meadowz06 03-08-2014 05:59 PM

The C7 ZR1 will be a twin turbo. Read the post on C7 tech where a guy looked into the computer and found new tables for supercharger AND TURBO!

QUIKAG 03-08-2014 06:35 PM

There will be a C7 ZR1 and there are plenty of people who would shell $130k for a twin turbo factory Corvette, me included. However, GM has not and will not discuss it so as not to affect Z06 sales. The ZR1 is 2-3 years from being announced.

Charlie M 03-08-2014 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lavender (Post 1586352497)
GM penetrated the 100k market with the ZR1 back @ 2008 when the economy collapsed. I'd say theres plenty of market for a limited edition Corvette now when the economy is much much better.

95% of the money made in the recovery went to the upper 1%. I would say, if Chevy built a $250,000 vette there is a market for it.

1991Z07 03-08-2014 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586351820)

Maybe you should keep up with the times...

The feds sold the remainder of their GM shares last year...they are no longer Government Motors. As of Dec 9th, 2013.

FastestBusaAround 03-08-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie M (Post 1586355589)
95% of the money made in the recovery went to the upper 1%. I would say, if Chevy built a $250,000 vette there is a market for it.

I think your guitar needs a tune.:rofl:

FastestBusaAround 03-08-2014 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1586355812)

The feds sold the remainder of their GM shares last year...they are no longer Government Motors. As of Dec 9th, 2013.

And they lost billions (10) during that sale as well.

Gary '09 C6 03-08-2014 10:20 PM

^ we all lost billions...:willy:

NytmereZ 03-08-2014 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by meadowz06 (Post 1586355076)
The C7 ZR1 will be a twin turbo. Read the post on C7 tech where a guy looked into the computer and found new tables for supercharger AND TURBO!

The head of the corvette said there is ZERO room for a TT, when are people going to take the blinders off?

NytmereZ 03-08-2014 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie M (Post 1586355589)

You are kidding right?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NytmereZ 03-08-2014 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1586355812)

Yea maybe, but I'm still in my 30's and have better things to do .... but I have been around long enough to know that there will never be a stripper vette, or a vette that comes in under 3000lbs.
Year after year folks say these things, they, just never happen., you have old men complaining about cooled seats, auto trunk closers, and you think GM will make a vette without a/c? :lol::lol::lol:

1991Z07 03-09-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586357184)
The head of the corvette said there is ZERO room for a TT, when are people going to take the blinders off?

Hmmm...

Maybe the head of the Corvette Program should have talked to Late Model Racecraft...:rofl:

Seems they got twin turbos in a C7...and it is a wicked, bad SOB!

Charlie M 03-10-2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround (Post 1586356530)
I think your guitar needs a tune.:rofl:

I am not the one that wasted a half mil on 2 fords.

NytmereZ 03-10-2014 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1586361510)
Hmmm...

Maybe the head of the Corvette Program should have talked to Late Model Racecraft...:rofl:

Seems they got twin turbos in a C7...and it is a wicked, bad SOB!

Don't compare stock with aftermarket, the aftermarket doesn't have to work with-in certain stipulations and regulations, and they don't need to worry a warranty, reliability etc.....

mirage2991 03-10-2014 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586357184)

:iagree:

yes what he said, I'd take Tadge's word over some corvette forum blogger….but that's just me :thumbs:

1991Z07 03-10-2014 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586369324)
Don't compare stock with aftermarket, the aftermarket doesn't have to work with-in certain stipulations and regulations, and they don't need to worry a warranty, reliability etc.....

What do you think Callaway was/is?

That's right...an AFTERMARKET specialty tuner who had a contract from GM to put a B2K twin-turbo in a C4. Emissions compliant and warrantied.

There's room in the C7...someone has already done it. If LMR can do it...so can GM.

I'm guessing GM is holding their cards close to the vest...if there are TURBO tables in the computer, why would they waste the development time to put them there if they didn't intend to USE them?

Of COURSE they won't say it outright now! They JUST revealed the Z06!

The logic some of you guys work with is stunning...

NytmereZ 03-10-2014 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1586370064)

That's right...an AFTERMARKET specialty tuner who had a contract from GM to put a B2K twin-turbo in a C4. Emissions compliant and warrantied.

There's room in the C7...someone has already done it. If LMR can do it...so can GM.

I'm guessing GM is holding their cards close to the vest...if there are TURBO tables in the computer, why would they waste the development time to put them there if they didn't intend to USE them?

Sorry the head of corvette isn't going to flat out lie, I'll take his word over a blogger..... Logic :lol::lol: , yes it's something you should look into.

So many people with logic on this forum:lol::lol: , we have mid engine vettes, AWD vettes , sub 3000lbs stripped down vettes all on the horizon (I think not), hell we have a million pages of talk on a car nobody but GM knows about... Yea so much "logic" here. :lol::lol:

1991Z07 03-10-2014 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586370481)
Sorry the head of corvette isn't going to flat out lie, I'll take his word over a blogger..... Logic :lol::lol: , yes it's something you should look into.

So many people with logic on this forum:lol::lol: , we have mid engine vettes, AWD vettes , sub 3000lbs stripped down vettes all on the horizon (I think not), hell we have a million pages of talk on a car nobody but GM knows about... Yea so much "logic" here. :lol::lol:

If you honestly believe the head of Corvette development is going to give away ANYTHING to their competition...go have another puff.

YES...They will flat out lie and say they have no plans for "X" even while they are developing it behind the curtain.

All the way up to the day they let the curtain slip open for a peek...they will deny ever having anything.

That's the way corporate secrets are kept secret.

Charlie M 03-10-2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1586370672)
If you honestly believe the head of Corvette development is going to give away ANYTHING to their competition...go have another puff.

YES...They will flat out lie and say they have no plans for "X" even while they are developing it behind the curtain.

All the way up to the day they let the curtain slip open for a peek...they will deny ever having anything.

That's the way corporate secrets are kept secret.

That's some serious Area 51 stuff there.

FastestBusaAround 03-10-2014 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie M (Post 1586369224)
I am not the one that wasted a half mil on 2 fords.

Me neither, but apparently they're now worth much more than 500k. So, if 250k for that car is a waste, your Z is worth nothing, as not only is it a forever depreciating asset, they aren't even in the same class as a Z06.

You can't even compare the two cars and everyone on this board knows that, except you, because as I said, your guitar needs a new tune. I think it may be more than your guitar needing a tune however, your brain seems to need one as well!

Lemme know when you buy that 250K corvette so I can laugh at ya!

Charlie M 03-10-2014 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround (Post 1586370995)
Me neither, but apparently they're now worth much more than 500k. So, if 250k for that car is a waste, your Z is worth nothing, as not only is it a forever depreciating asset, they aren't even in the same class as a Z06.

You can't even compare the two cars and everyone on this board knows that, except you, because as I said, your guitar needs a new tune. I think it may be more than your guitar needing a tune however, your brain seems to need one as well!

Lemme know when you buy that 250K corvette so I can laugh at ya!

Somebody needs a hug. Such anger. Just calm down, and tell me all about it.

Relax, I was being sarcastic. That collection you have pictured is very impressive. I am not worthy.

I was gonna egg you on a little more, but I can see I pushed your button too hard already.

I am not big into the history of the GT, but is it true the last 11 cars where disassembled and added to the parts inventory as they could not be delivered.

NytmereZ 03-10-2014 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie M (Post 1586371481)
Somebody needs a hug. Such anger. Just calm down, and tell me all about it.

I am not big into the history of the GT, but is it true the last 11 cars where disassembled and added to the parts inventory as they could not be delivered.

Who cares, anybody who paid even slightly over sticker on the fords GT hit the jackpot, not even in the same league as a vette, driving one is truly like sitting in a space aged cockpit, driving it is like cutting into a slab of beef with a razor sharp knife .

mirage2991 03-10-2014 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1586370064)

for the same reasons my c6zr1 has a flex fuel table that is fully populated but turned off... that's right... last i check no flex fuel zr1 were made... it is there because of cross usage amongst the platforms... or for hotroders that turn that table on and use the flex fuel sensor to run e85 lol

94-vette 03-10-2014 11:47 PM

I think GM will drop a ZR1.They aren't gonna say a word till when they get ready.I say look for it in 18.No way on earth would they mention it now.It would torpedo the sales of the Z06.Folks would just wait for the ZR.And since GM is going back to the C4 Gen motifs with LT designations of motors. Look for a 32 valve twinturbo LT5.A fire breathing 750hp beast!

Gary '09 C6 03-10-2014 11:52 PM

wasn't the first Corvette LT-1 motor in the C3s (350 ci w/330 hp) ?

94-vette 03-10-2014 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1586372495)
for the same reasons my c6zr1 has a flex fuel table that is fully populated but turned off... that's right... last i check no flex fuel zr1 were made... it is there because of cross usage amongst the platforms... or for hotroders that turn that table on and use the flex fuel sensor to run e85 lol

Sorry but a flex fuel table is not in the same zip code as a turbo fuel mapping table! Yes GM uses flex on most of its cars! But how many GM cars have turbos? You argument doesn't hold up!

1991Z07 03-11-2014 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie M (Post 1586370863)
That's some serious Area 51 stuff there.

You must be one of those "special people" who believe everything a politician tells them is the truth...

Good luck with that.

1991Z07 03-11-2014 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by 94-vette (Post 1586373503)
Sorry but a flex fuel table is not in the same zip code as a turbo fuel mapping table! Yes GM uses flex on most of its cars! But how many GM cars have turbos? You argument doesn't hold up!

They must be developing a half dozen turbo models to take the time and money to put the tables in the computer...

Right! :rofl:

slief 03-11-2014 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586370481)

It wasn't but a year ago that they were denying the Z06. Smoke and mirrors that's all. They would never release let alone disclose any information on a car that has yet to be announced. Especially in the midsts of a Z06 launch. Believing otherwise is kind of foolish. That's not to say that a TT ZR1 is on the horizon but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Matter of fact, I'm in the camp that believes it imminent. Especially given that camo cars have been seen recently and those that saw it said it sounded like a turbo and the drivers immediately shut them down after people arrived. There is more to come, that is for sure and you can bet GM will continue to deny it until the day they stop decide to disclose it.

mirage2991 03-11-2014 07:41 AM

it does hold up when you realise they have plans for a turbo cady

http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/e...win-turbo.html

mirage2991 03-11-2014 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by slief (Post 1586373730)
I wasn't but a year ago that they were denying the Z06. Smoke and mirrors that's all. They would never release let alone disclose any information on a car that has yet to be announced. Especially in the midsts of a Z06 launch. Believing otherwise is kind of foolish. That's not to say that a TT ZR1 is on the horizon but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Matter of fact, I'm in the camp that believes it imminent. Especially given that camo cars have been seen recently and those that saw it said it sounded like a turbo and the drivers immediately shut them down after people arrived. There is more to come, that is for sure and you can bet GM will continue to deny it until the day they stop decide to disclose it.

Perhaps, but only GM plays those stupid games...most other high end companies reveal their project early enough to retain potential customers....even if it's 2 years out, people will wait when they know, more so than on a hope and prayer deal like this...

Charlie M 03-11-2014 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586372258)
Who cares, anybody who paid even slightly over sticker on the fords GT hit the jackpot, not even in the same league as a vette, driving one is truly like sitting in a space aged cockpit, driving it is like cutting into a slab of beef with a razor sharp knife .

You are right on all. My grandmother will be able to drive the new auto Z06 in NY NY traffic. I would not even consider buying a GT as an investment. Though, I don't think it's quite the investment you say. 9 years ago they where $180,000-$250,000 on the showroom floor, and today some sit in speciality car lots unsold at $225,000 asking price. I never followed the cars and do not know if they depreciated used before going up in price. If anybody made a huge profit on flipping one, good for them.

Charlie M 03-11-2014 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 1991Z07 (Post 1586373623)
You must be one of those "special people" who believe everything a politician tells them is the truth...

Good luck with that.

So "special people" are the only ones to believe any politicians? 30+% of the population believes the president, I am sure they are not all "special people". And, what gives you the right to make a comparison using "special people"?

Unless you are talking about the 4% of the population that believes this country is run by lizzard people.

Relax. I don't mean anything personal in any post I make.

JG853 03-11-2014 08:58 AM

I like the Ford GT - My friends have them. They are nice cars. They have appreciated. I like it but still like me LG Motorsports/Tony Mamo C6 Z06. There are a few newer Corvettes that are "collectible" as well - Namely the 1996 Corvette Grand Sport - Roger's sold for $140,000 recently - Not bad for a $51,000 car.

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586372258)

Glenn Quagmire 03-11-2014 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Halltech (Post 1585921609)
Just wait. ZR1 is coming next. Sooner than later, but be prepared for a real supercar. Guessing $150,000+

Carbon fiber everywhere, yes everywhere. Many exotic changes, and power from hell and back.

Our ULZ715 will still hold an advantage over the ZR1 weight/power, but not by much.

That's all I can say.

In the meantime, the C7Z06 is a righteous Monster, but will be a heavyweight. Even with the Z07 package, which effectively does nothing to lighten the car, since the CCRs are offset by the wheel sizes.

Having said that, we are on the list #1 here in Wisconsin, so that means probably 1 to 2 months behind everywhere else, or likely Feb. 15.

I absolutely love the C7Z06 body style, and especially the front splitter.

The rear clear spoiler, not so much. Then there is always carbon fiber.

I'm willing to bet anyone a hundred bucks that Jim is right. Don't be surprised to see the ZR for '16. I for one can't wait for GM to take my money...even if it's $150K+. The new ZR will still be a cheaper date than a used 12C, 458 or 911 Turbo S, which will have been ridden hard and put away wet.

MG RED 99 03-11-2014 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1585922558)
translation: "buy what we're selling now, 'cause that's all we're gonna give you !"

marketing 101

Exactly:iagree:

The vette will always remain the testbed for GM's latest technologies, mostly due in part because new technologies cost money and the vette can be marketed towards the higher end buyer. There will come a point that the high HP numbers will no longer be realistic in a rear wheel drive only car. I think the HP ceiling has been met, anymore and it just becomes too dangerous to sell to the general public. I think future developement will bring lighter weight, fuel savings, and handling. Long live the king:flag:

mirage2991 03-11-2014 02:10 PM

doesn't matter, the cady has turbos coming, they created the map for it, they put it on the vette...the difference between the two maps far as "work" is concerned is no different than modifying the E85 maps to go on the ZR or a truck... both require works....so your arguement of a turbo C7 based on just a simple map is grand!:thumbs:

EdwardETraylorIII 03-11-2014 03:23 PM

Turbo tables AND supercharger tables??? CLEARLY this means the new 2014.5 super secret ZR1 will be a compound boosted super and turbocharger setup!!!! (the turbo tables are in the PCM because it's a similar firmware build/ECU to the CTS ECU).

No AWD and No Turbos. But the C7 ZR1 will be on the road by 2017 and it will employ exotic materials that aren't yet available to the masses. This you can take to the bank.

NytmereZ 03-11-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII (Post 1586378025)
Turbo tables AND supercharger tables??? CLEARLY this means the new 2014.5 super secret ZR1 will be a compound boosted super and turbocharger setup!!!! (the turbo tables are in the PCM because it's a similar firmware build/ECU to the CTS ECU).

No AWD and No Turbos. But the C7 ZR1 will be on the road by 2017 and it will employ exotic materials that aren't yet available to the masses. This you can take to the bank.

It will have a flux compositor, and will be made super light materials reproduced from the space ships from Area 51 :lol::lol::lol:

EdwardETraylorIII 03-12-2014 10:47 AM

NytmereZ,

No flux capacitors will be used.

NytmereZ 03-12-2014 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII (Post 1586384549)
NytmereZ,

No flux capacitors will be used.

Laser powered turbines?

Halltech 03-12-2014 11:58 PM

Milford Proving Grounds

We just received an order from GM for our StingerCKN, with the shipping address of the Milford Proving Grounds.....shipped last week, humm, wonder what they are doing with our intake?:D

EdwardETraylorIII 03-13-2014 09:05 AM

Yes Jim, I wonder.... :D

Nytmere,

I can only guess you're attempting to condescend at this point.

Believe it or not, innovation still exists and the proving grounds/R&D is still VERY alive within GM. You can't even imagine what's in there right now and most definitely on the horizon.........:thumbs:

You wouldn't believe several of the various technologies they are testing right now. It's a great time to be a consumer!!!:cheers:

LT1xL82 03-13-2014 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII (Post 1586378025)
...But the C7 ZR1 will be on the road by 2017 and it will employ exotic materials that aren't yet available to the masses. This you can take to the bank.

As a C7 Z06 owner in waiting, I've thought about the possibility of a ZR1, and when it might be available. Depending on what it is, when it will be, and how much it costs, it might make me feel like a jilted lover with my lowly C7 Z06.

History tells me the ZR1 will happen. And that it will be significantly more powerful and have some other high end advancements. And of course cost more!

But then the other side of my brain kicks in and says "WHY?". I mean really, how many incremental Corvette sales will it really generate? If the vast majority of ZR1 buyers turn out to be folks that would of bought a Z06 if the ZR1 were not available, what (profitable) business purpose would it really serve? Said another way, would the development time and costs for a ZR1 be better spent, and generate more profits, it was directed at something else, such as a C8?

BOBSZ06 03-13-2014 01:39 PM

8 speed paddle shift manual/auto; removable roof; magnetic ride control; 6.2 L supercharged 625hp+ engine and electronics...........compared to my `01 the `15 ZO6 will be a nice and huge upgrade.
I really could care less about a ZR1 or whatever. I don't track the car, so it will be of little import to me until that tech gets into a future ZO6! :D

NytmereZ 03-13-2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII (Post 1586393086)
Yes Jim, I wonder.... :D

Nytmere,

I can only guess you're attempting to condescend at this point.

Believe it or not, innovation still exists and the proving grounds/R&D is still VERY alive within GM. You can't even imagine what's in there right now and most definitely on the horizon.........:thumbs:

You wouldn't believe several of the various technologies they are testing right now. It's a great time to be a consumer!!!:cheers:

One can only be condescending , with all the talk, pure speculation and flat out ignoring statements made by the head of corvette.
Let the car come out, then talk.

ivanjo11 03-13-2014 11:20 PM

P1 sets MT all time record....Wow this is quick.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_car_record/

Skullbussa 03-15-2014 02:04 PM

There will be a 2016 ZR1 with turbo LT1 and dual-clutch transmission. That powertrain will debut in the CTS-V but will be carried over to the ZR1, slightly buffed-up.

Mark it on your calendars.

Tadge is marketing savvy. He also said there were no plans for a Z06. :)

NytmereZ 03-15-2014 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JG853 (Post 1586375033)
I like the Ford GT - My friends have them. They are nice cars. They have appreciated. I like it but still like me LG Motorsports/Tony Mamo C6 Z06. There are a few newer Corvettes that are "collectible" as well - Namely the 1996 Corvette Grand Sport - Roger's sold for $140,000 recently - Not bad for a $51,000 car.

96 GS coupes have held very good value compared to today's corvettes but $140k:lol::lol: , sorry that is about 110k to much, btw places like Barrett jackson don't count.

FastestBusaAround 03-15-2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie M (Post 1586374979)
You are right on all. My grandmother will be able to drive the new auto Z06 in NY NY traffic. I would not even consider buying a GT as an investment. Though, I don't think it's quite the investment you say. 9 years ago they where $180,000-$250,000 on the showroom floor, and today some sit in speciality car lots unsold at $225,000 asking price. I never followed the cars and do not know if they depreciated used before going up in price. If anybody made a huge profit on flipping one, good for them.

Here we go again, from the guy that doesn't and never will own an FGT. Do you have anything to say where you actually know what you are talking about? Because apparently you know nothing about the FGT's. I can see that by reading all of your fallacious posts where you talk about them. Please stop your moronic spew about FGT's. You haven't got a clue and you even admit that in your post above, so why make yourself look like more of an idiot that you really are?

Oh, and if you find a new, unsold FGT at a dealer for 225K, I'm a buyer and I'll even stick a few k in your pocket for finding it for me. :toetap:

FastestBusaAround 03-15-2014 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586411764)
96 GS coupes have held very good value compared to today's corvettes but $140k:lol::lol: , sorry that is about 110k to much, btw places like Barrett jackson don't count.

Yes, because there's a lot of alcohol involved at those auctions! Hence the record prices! Guys with more money (and alcohol) than brains!:rofl:

Guibo 03-15-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie M (Post 1586374979)

Some auction results from Mecum's website.

Dallas - $255,000
Chicago - $240,000

Kissimmee - $242,500; $320,000 (Heritage Edition)

Barrett Jackson sold one at $275k:
http://www.businessinsider.com/barre...ts-2013-9?op=1

Even the bargain hunters paradise Fleabay has had some bidded up to well past $225k.
31 bids to $260k
14 bids to $250k
5 bids to $245k (still active)

Guibo 03-15-2014 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1586400323)

0-150 in 9.9. :eek:

Z06Ronald 03-16-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1586415141)
0-150 in 9.9. :eek:

The McLaren P1 - and not to forget the Koenigsegg ONE:1 - man, those are beautiful cars, both technically and aesthetically!
Like the author says, 'Forget the Veyron'.

05dsom 03-16-2014 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald (Post 1586416169)
The McLaren P1 - and not to forget the Koenigsegg ONE:1 - man, those are beautiful cars, both technically and aesthetically!
Like the author says, 'Forget the Veyron'.

0-250 in 20 seconds....:crazy:

05dsom 03-16-2014 08:04 PM

.......Koenigsegg won’t say what kind of acceleration figures this car will put down, but let me save them some time. The One:1 isn’t just going to accelerate quicker than anything else out there, it’s going to accelerate faster than Thor’s freaking hammer; 0 to 248 mph in under 20 seconds is a real possibility. Not to mention that Koenigsegg think that it can achieve better than 273 mph, which would make it even faster than the Hennessey Venom GT that just set the speed record.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/po...#ixzz2wApgs7Ua
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Z06Ronald 03-16-2014 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 05dsom (Post 1586421675)
.......Koenigsegg won’t say what kind of acceleration figures this car will put down, but let me save them some time. The One:1 isn’t just going to accelerate quicker than anything else out there, it’s going to accelerate faster than Thor’s freaking hammer; 0 to 248 mph in under 20 seconds is a real possibility. Not to mention that Koenigsegg think that it can achieve better than 273 mph, which would make it even faster than the Hennessey Venom GT that just set the speed record.

:smiliedrool: :smiliedrool: :smiliedrool:

http://www.koenigsegg.com/latest-new...enigsegg-one1/
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/geneva_mot...neva_2014.html

Charlie M 03-16-2014 09:56 PM

Did Hennesy run out of room for the speed run they did? NASA? would only let them run one way?

FastestBusaAround 03-16-2014 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1586415130)
Some auction results from Mecum's website.

Dallas - $255,000
Chicago - $240,000

Kissimmee - $242,500; $320,000 (Heritage Edition)

Barrett Jackson sold one at $275k:
http://www.businessinsider.com/barre...ts-2013-9?op=1

Even the bargain hunters paradise Fleabay has had some bidded up to well past $225k.
31 bids to $260k
14 bids to $250k
5 bids to $245k (still active)

Auction America today - 2006 Heritage GT sold for 375K plus fees (80 miles). And a 4-option Red, 2005, 350 mile GT did 230k plus fees (10%). That was a bit low IMO for the red one, but right on for the gulf color GT.

Fleabay has a 4-option yellow one right now with 511 miles that bid all the way up to 261k with I think around 31 bids on a no sale.

I have the white one in the photo and a 21-mile (all on the Ford test track before delivery), 4-option yellow GT, still in the wrapper, in my garage, never driven, never licensed, all stickers still in the windows, hang tags still on the shifter, original plastic still on the sills and original plastic seat covers. She still has the balancing stickers on the wheels and tires, Saleen build book signed by Carol Shelby (the only GT on the planet with the actual build book), and a bunch of other Shelby signed stuff. I have had it since spring 2012 and have been offered almost double what I paid 2 years ago.

This is it -

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...O847IzEu_4.jpg

But somehow, Charlie M seems to be the resident FGT expert...:crazy:

@05DSOM - Hennessy didn't actually set a record with the Venom. The Ford GT did it on the same track a few years back @283 MPH - for the Guinness book of records. In fact, I believe the TT's in the GT were also Hennessy and word has it that it was well over the 1700 HP that was claimed. The GT racing experts believe it was closer to 2500 HP

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ng-mile-record

-----------------

OnPoint 03-16-2014 10:38 PM

^^ Damn, that's gorgeous.

Gary '09 C6 03-16-2014 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1586422940)
^^ Damn, that's gorgeous.

it sure is...:thumbs:

NofakeJake 03-16-2014 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586397736)
One can only be condescending , with all the talk, pure speculation and flat out ignoring statements made by the head of corvette.
Let the car come out, then talk.

Your comments seem quite naive when it comes to politics at the executive level.

NytmereZ 03-17-2014 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NofakeJake (Post 1586423049)
Your comments seem quite naive when it comes to politics at the executive level.

Oh please!!!! This is a freaking car forum, a corvette forum at that(this isn't the Enzo Ferrari forum), you comments seem like you are the old man in the roles Royce asking for the grey poupon.
I am very well versed in sales politics, the worst thing happened to corvette from a social standpoint when it stopped being the working mans blue collar sports car, it got a bunch of really old snobs..... I won't keep you anymore, I'm sure it almost time for your tea time:leaving:

Steve Garrett 03-17-2014 10:37 PM

Guys,

Everybody needs to stay on topic and NO personal jabs. If you don't agree with someone's statement, please discuss it in a civil manner.

If this doesn't happen, you won't like the results.

Cheers!

NytmereZ 03-18-2014 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1586432093)
Guys,

Everybody needs to stay on topic and NO personal jabs. If you don't agree with someone's statement, please discuss it in a civil manner.

If this doesn't happen, you won't like the results.

Cheers!

I will stay on topic, but being a member since 1999 it is shocking to see how much this forum has changed, I remember it well I was 23 when I bought the 1st Z06 on this forum.
When there was one corvette engine(even when it went to 2 in 2001)
People where cheering, sharing and helping each other, just like the turbobuick forum, if you run 8's or 14's there is zero snobs, this is what brings out the worst in me as well as other members here.

SBC_and_a_stick 03-19-2014 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1586400323)

Isn't the electric power variable? I'm not sure it always has 900hp. Nowadays with hybrid it's not just fill up and go at 100% power till the next station.

Since the P1 can achieve all of this on a single pair of 315 tires that means there is a lot of room in the electronics for the ZR1 to optimize traction. That is, for people who get delight from using it :shrug:

When the F1 came out, everything about it was desirable. It made all the right numbers in all the right ways. With the P1 it's fast but meh...as soon as a quicker car with more personality comes out this will be easily forgoten. It is however a big step up from a Veyron.

EdwardETraylorIII 03-19-2014 08:21 AM

Hennessy ran out of runway.

Did Hennessy run out of room for the speed run they did? NASA? would only let them run one way?
The TT setup on the Ford GT was NOT AND IN NO WAY WILL EVER BE built by Hennessy or anyone at his establishment. The same set up is still on that car, right now.

I'll bet you dinner that the GT goes 300 before May 1st. :thumbs:

@05DSOM - Hennessy didn't actually set a record with the Venom. The Ford GT did it on the same track a few years back @283 MPH - for the Guinness book of records. In fact, I believe the TT's in the GT were also Hennessy and word has it that it was well over the 1700 HP that was claimed. The GT racing experts believe it was closer to 2500 HP
You're absolutely right.. I try to share a little executive level info and the busa owner slams me... No good deed goes unpunished!

NofakeJake 03-19-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1586440300)
I will stay on topic, but being a member since 1999 it is shocking to see how much this forum has changed, I remember it well I was 23 when I bought the 1st Z06 on this forum.
When there was one corvette engine(even when it went to 2 in 2001)
People where cheering, sharing and helping each other, just like the turbobuick forum, if you run 8's or 14's there is zero snobs, this is what brings out the worst in me as well as other members here.

Old men, elitists, snobs, .... Is there a mentorship program on the Corvette forum for education on bigotry and discrimination?

All these posts about age are getting old :lol:

There will be another Vette superior to the Z06, whether they call it a ZR1, L88 or speed up production for a "one off" in 2018

Lavender 03-20-2014 04:11 AM

So even more "claims" but no actual runs from Koenigsegg? They claimed 273mph back @ 2011 and still haven't backed it up... Yeah I'm not surprised!

NytmereZ 03-20-2014 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lavender (Post 1586449861)
So even more "claims" but no actual runs from Koenigsegg? They claimed 273mph back @ 2011 and still haven't backed it up... Yeah I'm not surprised!

Why are people talking about a koenigsegg on a corvette forum?, corvette is a great car , but it is a car for the masses regardless of how quick it is around a track, sorry ..... not in the same universe.

NemesisC5 04-01-2014 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by NofakeJake (Post 1586446660)
Old men, elitists, snobs, .... Is there a mentorship program on the Corvette forum for education on bigotry and discrimination?

All these posts about age are getting old :lol:

There will be another Vette superior to the Z06, whether they call it a ZR1, L88 or speed up production for a "one off" in 2018

http://youwheel.com/2014/03/31/rumor...85hp-turbo-v8/

rsvette12 04-01-2014 08:09 PM

All amazing comments Guys - well done :)

NemesisC5 04-01-2014 08:48 PM

4.5L Twin-Turbo V8 May Be Mystery Engine Powering C7 Corvette Z06

The Corvette Z07 could get the twin-turbo V8 from the Cadillac Elmiraj

The 500HP Twin Turbo V8 Cadillac (Elmiraj) Eldorado

OnPoint 04-01-2014 09:05 PM

Rank speculation from last August/September.

NemesisC5 04-01-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1586555710)
Rank speculation from last August/September.

Agreed, and everything we now know was rank speculation at one point as well.

OnPoint 04-01-2014 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by NemesisC5 (Post 1586555946)

True that. :cheers:

NofakeJake 04-01-2014 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by NemesisC5 (Post 1586555946)

Where's Keeks when you need him.

ivanjo11 04-02-2014 09:27 AM

Lamborghini Aventador crash caught in video.wow

Z06Ronald 04-02-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1586558737)
Lamborghini Aventador crash caught in video.wow

Aventador Crash - Moment of Impact - YouTube

:eek: :willy:

ivanjo11 04-02-2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald (Post 1586558915)
:eek: :willy:

Crashing a 400K car that hurts...

ivanjo11 04-02-2014 10:23 AM

Here is how the car looked after the crash lucky for him that the fenders are aluminum rather than the much more expensive carbon fiber.

Z06Ronald 04-02-2014 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1586559198)
Here is how the car looked after the crash lucky for him that the fenders are aluminum rather than the much more expensive carbon fiber.

Wrecked Lamborghini Aventador in London - Loaded onto Truck - YouTube

Lucky for us that the price of a whole new Corvette may be less than the repair costs of that Lambo! :D

ivanjo11 04-02-2014 01:11 PM

The Aventador has a super rigid CF chassis`with aluminum front and rear frames.

Gary '09 C6 04-03-2014 10:58 PM

maybe just a little too fast on crowded city streets....what was this guy thinking ? :crazy2:

NofakeJake 04-03-2014 11:11 PM

Maybe someone failed to yield to oncoming traffic :hide:

Both failed.......

ivanjo11 04-04-2014 12:48 PM

Lambo Huracan presentation is amazing how much of this europeans cars technology already the C7 has it.

rsvette12 04-04-2014 12:52 PM

Awesome Lambo video - thanks :)

C6nexttime 04-06-2014 08:19 AM

I know a guy who has 7 corvettes. His connections are decent so i would take him somewhat creditable. gm never admits to future product so. he claims to know the engineering firm working on the car for gm. they are telling him 800hp. How true it is i dont know know lol but would be awesome

FastestBusaAround 04-06-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII (Post 1586441900)
Hennessy ran out of runway.

The TT setup on the Ford GT was NOT AND IN NO WAY WILL EVER BE built by Hennessy or anyone at his establishment. The same set up is still on that car, right now.

I'll bet you dinner that the GT goes 300 before May 1st. :thumbs:

You're absolutely right.. I try to share a little executive level info and the busa owner slams me... No good deed goes unpunished!

That was no slam! Sorry you took it that way; I was simply clarifying something, not slammin' ya!:cheers: I won't bet dinner against that either, because it could very well happen...

My bad on the Hennessey comment, it wasn't that car, it was actually this one:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/h...ord-2012-03-27

but that was old news...and it's been beaten already anyway.

Chicago1 04-06-2014 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by C6nexttime (Post 1586589337)
I know a guy who has 7 corvettes. His connections are decent so i would take him somewhat creditable. gm never admits to future product so. he claims to know the engineering firm working on the car for gm. they are telling him 800hp. How true it is i dont know know lol but would be awesome

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy that once washed a Corvette..he said 850 hp....

forg0tmypen 04-06-2014 12:09 PM

"I know a guy who..." And that's when I stopped taking the post seriously. 800hp. It'd be nice, but mere coincidence if your "guy" gets it right.

NofakeJake 04-07-2014 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen (Post 1586590804)
"I know a guy who..." And that's when I stopped taking the post seriously. 800hp. It'd be nice, but mere coincidence if your "guy" gets it right.

GM is really making moves and why people are so skeptical is beyond me. The technology is already on the street.

Cadillac has an XTS, AWD V model. The ETS Hybrid is incredible but the rear seat leg room is a little tight. Twin turbos are in many of their models, so the technology is there for Corvette to go in any direction, including UP!

Cadillac had CUE on the street before Corvette. The new C7 had it a year or so later upon release.

Look for new models in Corvette. They're coming :thumbs:

NytmereZ 04-07-2014 02:35 PM

I know a guy, who knows another guy, who knows another guys brother, who knows another guy............................

Mods please delete this post now:ack:

Or leave it (I won't be clicking on this again)