CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3404438-gm-says-no-corvette-zr1-on-the-radar-is-the-c7-z06-too-good.html)

ManuelCarrillo3 01-14-2014 04:20 PM

GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-con...ZR1_slider.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has told Autoblog there are currently no plans to introduce a C7 Corvette ZR1. What a cop-out. This is almost as bad as hearing all future holidays are canceled. Here’s what Autoblog is reporting: “Introducing a ZR1 halo car above the upcoming Z06, which is due at the end […]

More on the blog.

ghostmech 01-14-2014 04:23 PM

As I said well before this article appeared......

Originally Posted by ghostmech (Post 1585917837)
I think the Z07 version of the Z06 could be the ZR1 replacement for the C7 series. It may mean they will offer a different pulley w/programming upgrades, ect. to push the Z07 over the ZR1. Remember this is a car still in finalization and can still be tweaked before it starts selling early next year. It certainly would be more economical to GM not to produce a ZR1 since the C7 Z06/Z07 is already at a world class level imho.

rcallen484 01-14-2014 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3 (Post 1585919598)

Chevrolet Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has told Autoblog there are currently no plans to introduce a C7 Corvette ZR1. What a cop-out. This is almost as bad as hearing all future holidays are canceled. Here’s what Autoblog is reporting: “Introducing a ZR1 halo car above the upcoming Z06, which is due at the end […]

More on the blog.

He could have said, "And for all of you who might possibly be thinking of buying an optioned-out Z06/Z07 as soon as they become available, I advise you to wait for what we've got coming out later!"

Stingray23 01-14-2014 04:27 PM

I bet something with turbos is coming in a few years.

AverageVetteNut 01-14-2014 04:34 PM

Read a statement from him saying that if sales aren't good enough, this will likely be the last Z06 as well. The sales have to be better or there won't be any big top dog style Vette a few years from now.

So, I don't doubt for a second we're not going to see a ZR1 for this gen car. If the sticker is pushing 100K for the base Z06 I wouldn't count against a mid-range car to fill the gap, but even that's going to be a stretch IMO.

Must_Have_Z 01-14-2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut (Post 1585919744)
So, I don't doubt for a second we're not going to see a ZR1 for this gen car.

Agree. :smash:

WaxWeekly 01-14-2014 05:50 PM

More on the blog.

Everyone understands that there are diminishing performance returns for the dollar. If they've already set their target at the price:performace sweet spot, it could start to get very expensive very quickly for consistently measurable gains.

Not many people are really truly aware of the emissions and safety requirements that the designers have to contend with. It wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't even make the old 2009 ZR1 as a 'new' model anymore.

I'm all for them investing in future achievable performance for the primary market that's 50-70k.

The Highlander 01-14-2014 05:53 PM

The base car is getting expensive too. I feel they don't want to get too much over the 100k range.

~Stingray 01-14-2014 06:18 PM

If GM wants to keep it at the Z06, I don't have an issue with that. But don't give us a BS answer that the car can't put out more performance. As they said in the article, there are Mustangs that put out over 600 and they cheaper than the Z06. Granted they wouldn't win in a race, I just saying the engine can do it.

Would it be over 100K, yes. But the ZR1 was already at 112K, and it sold, so whats the problem?

mirage2991 01-14-2014 06:22 PM

Well no zr1, that's not cool... Wonder how they will sale the new z06 now that we know their game, just wait for the new c8 z51, it will be as fast or faster than the c7z06 for 30k less....

The Highlander 01-14-2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1585920752)
If GM wants to keep it at the Z06, I don't have an issue with that. But don't give us a BS answer that the car can't put out more performance. As they said in the article, there are Mustangs that put out over 600 and they cheaper than the Z06. Granted they wouldn't win in a race, I just saying the engine can do it.

Would it be over 100K, yes. But the ZR1 was already at 112K, and it sold, so whats the problem?

500 cars a year is not selling....

They do NOT want to sell 500-1000 z06s.. they want to sell 8000+ I am sure... if they get higher in price it is just not an economically sustainable model. GM is not in it for the name. They are in it for the money 100%. If the car makes money they will keep it. If loosing the z06 looses overall $ earned, they will keep it. As simple as that.

But right now... a Z06 is a $100k car when the base model is 55k. In 2002 it was a $50k car. When the base model was 40k.

There is a huge difference now in price. That is why they say, that if the sales are not there (500 sales) then the Z06 is gone.

I feel that the Z06 is way over the top and I liked the distinction from the 2002... Lighter... a little more horsepower and that is it. But they want to compete with 150k up cars too. Viper is one of them. They are releasing the corvette z06 to finally beat the viper.

Paulchristian 01-14-2014 06:42 PM

It will come toward the end of the C7 lifecycle when C7 excitement has become non-existent.

rcallen484 01-14-2014 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1585921007)
It will come toward the end of the C7 lifecycle when C7 excitement has become non-existent.

Non-existent excitement.....sounds boring... :leaving:

TractionControlOff 01-14-2014 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 1585919671)
I bet something with turbos is coming in a few years.

There's still one thing left to supercharge: the LS7.

Not saying they will, but that would be one way to achieve 700 HP before going to turbos.

NytmereZ 01-14-2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff (Post 1585921301)

Not saying they will, but that would be one way to achieve 700 HP before going to turbos.

GM already tried that and the engine literally melted, that is why they went with the 6.2.

ghostmech 01-14-2014 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by NytmereZ (Post 1585921426)
GM already tried that and the engine literally melted, that is why they went with the 6.2.

When did that happen?

Halltech 01-14-2014 07:41 PM

Just wait. ZR1 is coming next. Sooner than later, but be prepared for a real supercar. Guessing $150,000+

Carbon fiber everywhere, yes everywhere. Many exotic changes, and power from hell and back.

Our ULZ715 will still hold an advantage over the ZR1 weight/power, but not by much.

That's all I can say.

In the meantime, the C7Z06 is a righteous Monster, but will be a heavyweight. Even with the Z07 package, which effectively does nothing to lighten the car, since the CCRs are offset by the wheel sizes.

Having said that, we are on the list #1 here in Wisconsin, so that means probably 1 to 2 months behind everywhere else, or likely Feb. 15.

I absolutely love the C7Z06 body style, and especially the front splitter.

The rear clear spoiler, not so much. Then there is always carbon fiber.

vette ruminator 01-14-2014 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1585921007)

The C6 carried a very long production run, as GM bankruptcy put real development of the C7 on the back burner. Once the excitement died down over the C6 Z06, the ZR1 was a way to continue the new, halo car excitement. The upside was that it is still an amazing super car that can compete with the best and the costliest. The downside over time was that there were still ideas from 2005 in a 2013 car.

If the C7 Z06 sells well enough and if C8 development progresses, there may not be a case for the ZR1...

zeshawn 01-14-2014 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Halltech (Post 1585921609)
Just wait. ZR1 is coming next. Sooner than later, but be prepared for a real supercar. Guessing $150,000+

Carbon fiber everywhere, yes everywhere. Many exotic changes, and power from hell and back.

Our ULZ715 will still hold an advantage over the ZR1 weight/power, but not by much.

That's all I can say.

In the meantime, the C7Z06 is a righteous Monster, but will be a heavyweight. Even with the Z07 package, which effectively does nothing to lighten the car, since the CCRs are offset by the wheel sizes.

Having said that, we are on the list #1 here in Wisconsin, so that means probably 1 to 2 months behind everywhere else, or likely Feb. 15.

I absolutely love the C7Z06 body style, and especially the front splitter.

The rear clear spoiler, not so much. Then there is always carbon fiber.

So Jim we barely saw the Z06 unveiled and you're saying there will definitely be a ZR1? I would hate to invest in a Z06 to find out GM releasing a ZR1 one year after.

Now on a sidenote do you think its even possible to get the weight of the c7 Z06 down to 3000lbs?

Gary '09 C6 01-14-2014 09:25 PM

translation: "buy what we're selling now, 'cause that's all we're gonna give you !"

marketing 101

jdmvette 01-14-2014 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by zeshawn (Post 1585922520)
So Jim we barely saw the Z06 unveiled and you're saying there will definitely be a ZR1? I would hate to invest in a Z06 to find out GM releasing a ZR1 one year after.

Now on a sidenote do you think its even possible to get the weight of the c7 Z06 down to 3000lbs?

Didn't keeks just say in a thread the other day that the *real* hot rod version is coming in 2016?

His track record is very good around here.

uxojerry 01-14-2014 09:41 PM

If GM announced the ZR1 was coming out next year, would anyone buy a C7 Z06 this year? 2-3 years from now GM can come out with a ZR1 and announce that it was created due to customer demand, lol

The LSA motor was always a baby LS9. The LT4 looks like an updated LSA, versus an LS9 replacement.

G352C6 01-14-2014 09:52 PM

I am pretty sure there will be a ZR1 when the stingray and Z06 buzz dies down. Doesn't affect my Z06 buying decision at all.

Halltech 01-14-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1585922732)
If GM announced the ZR1 was coming out next year, would anyone buy a C7 Z06 this year? 2-3 years from now GM can come out with a ZR1 and announce that it was created due to customer demand, lol

The LSA motor was always a baby LS9. The LT4 looks like an updated LSA, versus an LS9 replacement.

2018. Buy the Z06. I know what's coming, but the Z06 is the one, for now.

I don't think GM should ever stop stretching the envelope. I forsee a day, probably long after I'm gone where 800 HP is commonplace.

The problem GM has is keeping the power tidy, and on the pavement. I know the difficulty well.

OBSSSD 01-14-2014 10:13 PM

More on the blog.

Tadge is a giant douchebag

zeshawn 01-14-2014 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1585923096)

someone agrees with me :lol:

RedZ4me 01-14-2014 11:23 PM

^^^ Bingo with Halltech ^^^

C'mon guys it's all marketing, would you rather hear back when the C7 was introduced for GM to say, "we are going to release the base car in 2014, z06 for the 2015 MY and then a zr1 shortly after in 20xx"

What would that do to sales to both the Z06 but especially the base model - right you are - fewer sales!!!

usroute66 MKW 01-15-2014 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by RedZ4me (Post 1585923642)
^^^ Bingo with Halltech ^^^

C'mon guys it's all marketing, would you rather hear back when the C7 was introduced for GM to say, "we are going to release the base car in 2014, z06 for the 2015 MY and then a zr1 shortly after in 20xx"

What would that do to sales to both the Z06 but especially the base model - right you are - fewer sales!!!

GM handlers can announce with a straight face no C7 " ZR1" ( because it would be badged as " L88 " )
:yesnod:

oicw 01-15-2014 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Halltech (Post 1585922929)
I don't think GM should ever stop stretching the envelope. I forsee a day, probably long after I'm gone where 800 HP is commonplace.

Making 800hp is not hard, C6 ZR1 can do it with some bolt-ons, and so can GT500s. But putting it down reliably, consistently, and in all (reasonable) weather, is another story.

And I don't mean a set of r-comps pre-warmed on a perfect track, but normal tires at street driving temperature.

Therefore, what I'd like to see (or dream about), is an advanced AWD, with active front, center, and rear diffs, and 700+ hp. Or some super hybrid (918/P1/LaFerrari) but with traction motors on the front axle.

Supermassive 01-15-2014 02:38 AM

Once again the ZR1 was a commercial flop. Why can't people see this. Yes a few of them sold, a little over 4000 over it's lifetime. The Z06 sold 5 times as many over it's lifetime. All the ZR1 was a way for GM to drum up attention to try to generate interest in the flagging sales figures for the Z06 and Base when the ZR1 was revealed. The GS was far better at increasing sales.

If they need to release a ZR1 that isn't a good thing for the Corvette because it means sales are down. There isn't enough demand for GM to even have that discussion right now. If GM really wanted to change their image from a "bang for the buck" sports car manufacturer to one with sophistication, they might need a new halo car. One that isn't based on anything out right now, go mid engine, make an interior that oozes exotic and sell it for $150k+ but ensure that it beats a Z06 around the track. The Corvette by association will garner more sales just like the GT-R helped the 370Z, the Ford GT helped the Mustang, etc. etc.

The Corvette is a nice car, it will be the nicest car i have ever owned, but, it's a far cry from an Audi R8, Porsche GT3, etc. GM is not the greatest when it comes to interiors, the C7 is a giant step in the right direction, but they need to work on making the cabin appeal to the subconscious. Simple things like getting rid of the shite plastic console. Plastic is a great material to build hidden structure with, but I don't want to see it or touch it. Use actual metal instead of "metallic" looking surfaces. It's the little things that make a car great. I doubt the sum of the parts of Porsche are worth the asking price but they nailed the interior. It may be "teutonic" but everything you interact with feels like quality. The C7 Corvette makes the single most exciting button in the car an after thought with cheap black plastic...I mean it's a small quibble but the start button should feel like you are launching a damn ICBM, not powering up your home computer.

Trackaholic 01-15-2014 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Supermassive (Post 1585924319)
The C7 Corvette makes the single most exciting button in the car an after thought with cheap black plastic...I mean it's a small quibble but the start button should feel like you are launching a damn ICBM, not powering up your home computer.

HA! TOTALLY AGREE about the start button. Hell, even the Prius has a more exciting start button than the C7. S2000, Viper, even the upcoming Mustang all have start buttons that really imply you are about to do something meaningful.

In terms of the topic at hand: If GM is going to do something even more impressive than this Z06...well that would certainly be interesting.

-T

LS1LT1 01-15-2014 05:50 AM

I had assumed all along that there wasn't going to be BOTH a C7 Z06 and a C7 ZR1.
This new Z06 is a nice marriage/amalgamation of the two cars in an entirely new package. :yesnod:
They still have to be able sell these things (ZR1s didn't sell all that well and even Z06 sales dropped notably in the latter years) and also not cannibalize or obsolete each other in the process as well.
Sometimes less, is more.

sam90lx 01-15-2014 10:53 AM

There will be a ZR1....I would put money on it myself.

Telepierre 01-15-2014 12:08 PM

Once again the ZR1 was a commercial flop. Why can't people see this. Yes a few of them sold, a little over 4000 over it's lifetime. The Z06 sold 5 times as many over it's lifetime. All the ZR1 was a way for GM to drum up attention to try to generate interest in the flagging sales figures for the Z06 and Base when the ZR1 was revealed. The GS was far better at increasing sales.

If they need to release a ZR1 that isn't a good thing for the Corvette because it means sales are down. There isn't enough demand for GM to even have that discussion right now. If GM really wanted to change their image from a "bang for the buck" sports car manufacturer to one with sophistication, they might need a new halo car. One that isn't based on anything out right now, go mid engine, make an interior that oozes exotic and sell it for $150k+ but ensure that it beats a Z06 around the track. The Corvette by association will garner more sales just like the GT-R helped the 370Z, the Ford GT helped the Mustang, etc. etc.

The Corvette is a nice car, it will be the nicest car i have ever owned, but, it's a far cry from an Audi R8, Porsche GT3, etc. GM is not the greatest when it comes to interiors, the C7 is a giant step in the right direction, but they need to work on making the cabin appeal to the subconscious. Simple things like getting rid of the shite plastic console. Plastic is a great material to build hidden structure with, but I don't want to see it or touch it. Use actual metal instead of "metallic" looking surfaces. It's the little things that make a car great. I doubt the sum of the parts of Porsche are worth the asking price but they nailed the interior. It may be "teutonic" but everything you interact with feels like quality. The C7 Corvette makes the single most exciting button in the car an after thought with cheap black plastic...I mean it's a small quibble but the start button should feel like you are launching a damn ICBM, not powering up your home computer.

Three years or so ago I used to read rather silly and uninformed articles from a fellow which name/handle escapes me at the moment..but just like in the above, in the midst of all the nonsense he/she/it would drop the Audi, Porsche and Mercedes names with attributes that are non existent thus evoking the ever evanescent subconscious "cop out".

So, let me make a direct, non subconscious statement:

EVERYTHING (visible) in the Porsche and Mercedes interior that looks like metal is actually PLASTIC.

SpudMuffin 01-15-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1585923096)

Huh? This guy has brought us some of the greatest cars ever built. Secondly, I don't know him personally, but have a good friend who does. He's a very nice guy and had been super-responsive to the Vette community.

C5Dobie 01-15-2014 12:58 PM

The LS7 motor is meant to safely handle FI - from what I've read/seen they start blowing up, even durability mildly bolted @ 40,000+ miles is questionable. One reason why I didn't stretch for a C6 Z06 and instead opted for the C5 Z06, because I KNOW I will cam it in the future.

C5Dobie 01-15-2014 01:04 PM

R8's have horrific quality/reliability, and Porsches, while magnificent cars, are not super luxorious in the traditional sense. I used to drive my bosses 2013 911 4S Cabriolet Black, and while everything is well put together and fits tight it isn't like riding in a Lexus or Mercedes by ANY means.

LOts of high end manufacturers use plastic or faux metal/wood trims, believe me. How about the sweet alcantara headliner in the european cars? Oh, I mean FAKE SUEDE. That's like calling vinyl and leather the same thing.

My new 2014 Sierra uses "real AL" trim pieces. So what.

rpm94 01-15-2014 01:42 PM

Thanks Jim!

On a side note, how many of your GT2 Dred hoods have you now sold? I am wondering if I still have something special.

Best visual mod that I have done to my car by far. :cheers:

TTRotary 01-15-2014 01:50 PM

Chevrolet Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has told Autoblog there are currently no plans to introduce a C7 Corvette ZR1.

Yeah, and Mark Reuss was telling journalists 4 months ago that there was "no discussion of a Z06". These guys will say anything to sell you the current toy they just rolled out - and the Corvette faithful will thank them, salivate, and run out and buy the C7 ZR1 when they surprise us with one this time next year (well, you won't be able to buy one before 2017). We have seen the patents for the centri SC - the ZR1 is coming and it will be mid-700s. Shoot, it may even have retro tail-lamps - who knows. Of course, we all know I have been proven wrong before. :willy:

sam90lx 01-15-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by TTRotary (Post 1585927697)
Yeah, and Mark Reuss was telling journalists 4 months ago that there was "no discussion of a Z06". These guys will say anything to sell you the current toy they just rolled out - and the Corvette faithful will thank them, salivate, and run out and buy the C7 ZR1 when they surprise us with one this time next year (well, you won't be able to buy one before 2017). We have seen the patents for the centri SC - the ZR1 is coming and it will be mid-700s. Shoot, it may even have retro tail-lamps - who knows. Of course, we all know I have been proven wrong before. :willy:

:iagree:GM knows how to milk it !

Photoguy000 01-15-2014 03:19 PM

Look at it this way too, maybe it is actually a sincere statement that there will be no C7 ZR1 in the works. After all, it did take them 14 years to bring the ZR1 nameplate back after the C4 ZR-1 in the first place. IMO Maybe it would just be a stupid expensive car to develop that they would only sell a handful of so they are going to wait until they can really wow people.

Seriously, $55k base with 460hp, almost 100K for a Z06 with 630ish hp, unless they can be up at 800hp with the warranty would the $150k even be worth it?

It's kind of like how there was no Grand Sport C5 or any Z06 at all in the C3, and C4 generation. They have to keep it people wanting or they will never sell any of whatever is coming next.

Halltech 01-15-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rpm94 (Post 1585927613)
Thanks Jim!

On a side note, how many of your GT2 Dred hoods have you now sold? I am wondering if I still have something special.

Best visual mod that I have done to my car by far. :cheers:

35 and two for me.

Tonyman262 01-15-2014 05:06 PM

More on the blog.

If you are one of the few (by percentage) that track your Vette, or if you just have a real need horse power, then this Vette's (Z06) for you.

But I believe there is a lager number of potential and current Vette owners that would be just fine with a 2016 Grand Sport.
The GS gives the larger base Corvette buying population an opportunity for an update and somewhat of an upgrade pluse the good looks of a wide body.

I said all of that to say this: It would be my guess that GM/Chevrolet would see more $$$ at the end of the day by selling a GS than a ZR1.

With the prices being what they are, GM/C would have to sell 2 GS for ever 1 ZR1. I think it would be more like 5 to 1, or maybe even 6 to 1.

So ask your self if it was your investment dollars that you were trying to get a decent return on (ROI) what would you do?

But on the other hand, all of the cool tech that goes into the ZR1s end up in the lesser cars?

mike69440 01-15-2014 07:43 PM

Like 9/1 CR and 13-14 Lbs of boost won''t net +700 hp on an LT4?
A 2.2-2.3 L axail screw would be feasible and meet all the laws and requirements.

cor28vettes 01-15-2014 10:08 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2...-detroit-2014/

The Highlander 01-15-2014 10:11 PM

I somehow feel this should have been the ZR1 and brought back the Z06 with 550HP LT7 DI Engine. NO DoD.

skxf430 01-15-2014 10:14 PM

There may be hope for this though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/15/c...-track-report/

Telepierre 01-16-2014 03:13 AM

GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar
AKA: We are not thinking about it right now... or better yet RIGHT NOW we are not thinking about it..

GM statements at hand, I tend to agree with the line of thought indicating Chevrolet is keeping it's powder dry an adapting to market conditions as they materially evolve in the market. In other words: flexibility.

C6 ZR1 was no exception. From a business standpoint (at the end that is what this is all about) and with GM statements at hand, the ZR1 was a relative cheap experiment resulting in an impressive end product and an effective defensive play.

For all the insecurity induced derision cast out at the "measly" ZR1 4000 plus units sold to date (I have not verified the numbers) that is no joke for a Porsche, Ferrari and what have you.. that celebrate US market penetration (in this class - we are talking above 911S league..) in the tens or hundreds..

So business: 4000 plus units taken away from "you know what" by adding a supercharger on an LS3 and upping the brakes on a platform already paid for..

C7 06 is already the above and more so no need to think about ZR1 right now but if the competition moves than Chevrolet may move as well..

My2C

TTRotary 01-16-2014 02:46 PM

I don't think people understand the ZR1 as a GM product. Its job was to function as a tuck-in product to attract the high end of the market while further leveraging the platform technology at virtually zero additional R&D cost. And in this regard - adding to the profitability of the Corvette VL, it was wildly successful. The reality is that the ZR1 had a lower manufacturing cost than a Z07 Z06 due to the substitution of the very costly LS7 engine for a blown powerplant that can be mass-produced. And with the ability to pass along most of the more expensive content price to customers (mostly the carbon brakes) because the customer perceives this as high value, GM's profit margin on these was huge.

I doubt GM will miss out on this for the C7. It will be offered when the marketing guys believe the time is right.

shank0668 01-16-2014 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TTRotary (Post 1585927697)

:lol: I remember the whole no Z06 discussion... they must have developed this car really fast then.

uxojerry 01-16-2014 11:03 PM

I agree with Halltech that a C7 supercar will eventually come to market. The Z07 should be good competition for the GTR and 911 Turbo crowd. Imagine what kind of car GM could build with a base price of $150k+? V8 TT, DCT transmission, and space materials cutting 200lbs. GM could easily do it if they want too.

The Highlander 01-16-2014 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1585941058)
I agree with Halltech that a C7 supercar will eventually come to market. The Z07 should be good competition for the GTR and 911 Turbo crowd. Imagine what kind of car GM could build with a base price of $150k+? V8 TT, DCT transmission, and space materials cutting 200lbs. GM could easily do it if they want too.

Its just that nissan did it and for a lot less money....

uxojerry 01-16-2014 11:21 PM

The limited edition GTR that did 7:08 at the Ring is priced around $200k, from what I hear.

The Highlander 01-16-2014 11:30 PM

I believe the 2013 GTR lapped the ring faster than a ZR1.... and it's cheaper too, considerably.... Even still if we put the average driver on a GTR, I bet it would lap it faster than the average driver on a ZR1...

And before anyone babbles about technology and nanny aids.... average driver on a ZR1 will beat an average driver on a Yugo, which means... Weight/Materials/Design/Power, can be counted as technology or aids as it aids the car and driver to achieve faster speeds.

That is pretty much the point. The Corvette is moving up it's price range, yet it is not delivering on the actual goods like it used to.

Now, the purpose of my post is that people really need to demand more from the Corvette Brand for the price they are paying... ZR1 and now the Z06 is really a premium price... It is not like the 2002 which was just 6k or so more than a C5. Even in the 2006 C6 it was what? 15k? But it netted a lot more improvement? The 2012 Z06 went up considerably and there was pretty much the same spec'd car.

Supermassive 01-16-2014 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1585941058)

As if the Z06 isn't already a supercar...

There is no such thing as enough horsepower for some people, and horsepower does not equate to supercar. Overall handling and performance equate to supercar. How does a TT V8 magically make a better performing engine? You change the entire character of the engine with turbochargers, sure you'll likely get a few more horsepower at a given boost level but then what? The front engine rear drive platform can only handle a certain amount of horsepower before that horsepower negatively affects other aspects of the car's performance. The Ferrari F12 is a perfect example of what too much power does to a car. The base C7 was barely slower around a track than a 720hp Ferrari...not exactly flattering for the Ferrari. So where do you draw the line on power? I know some people on these forums just want MOAR POWAH! for their drag strip heroics, but the average consumer that can afford a Z06 or ZR1 want a car that does more than goes fast in a straight line. We want that power to be accessible, and useful on fun twisty roads and tracks. I have a feeling the Z06 pushes the limit of the C7 chassis as far as useable power. Wider tires will only get you so far as the Viper can attest to with it's 375's that it can easily break traction with.

So a DCT option will make a supercar? I am so tired of this nonsense cheerleading for a technology that for all intents and purposes suffers from similar issues to a normal auto. The only thing is no one is pushing tc auto tech as most manufacturers default to the available DCT's instead of trying to find a better approach. The ZF8 speed that the 8L90 is based on is a fantastic transmission that already had fast shifting, GM decided to take that ZF8 speed and engineer it to shift faster and handle even more power and torque. So what happens when the TC auto becomes better than the DCT at doing what a DCT does? Will everyone still clamor for the DCT while "poo-pooing" the auto because of their firmly held belief that theres no way it could be better and that it's just not exotic enoug to be considered "supercar" worthy? I have long held the belief that DCT's would eventually be trumped by tc autos and I wouldn't be surprised that we might just get the first ever auto that truly offers DCT track performance with smooth as silk daily driver performance, something DCT owners often lament.

I know people just want a bigger number to brag about while hanging out at the starbucks with your fellow waxers (no offense to waxers I like to show my toys from time to time too) but, what could they possibly add to the Z06 to make it worth more money and warrant a whole different trim level?

Roidz 01-17-2014 12:49 AM

Yeah not on the radar YET. Doesn't mean it won't be. I would be perfectly happy and content with a Z06, however.

Kingspoke 01-17-2014 01:19 AM

My guess is the ZR1 is coming back as a C8 TT. The Corvette team is great at giving some information and then leaving you guessing with future products. As previously stated, there's a lot of marketing strategy in their timed press releases and spy shots/reveals to get the anticipation level high.

tail_lights 01-17-2014 05:51 PM

What would the ZR1 be anyway? A car that is even more track oriented? In order for them to consider making a ZR1 I think the top end Z07 package has to sell fairly well.

dollarbill 01-17-2014 08:19 PM

Keep calm everyone. The C7 base car came out with a starting price very close to the C6 base. I would bet the C7 Z06 will also have a starting price close to the C6 Z06. The LT4 has maps for normally aspirated, supercharged and a turbo charged engine management operation. The base C7 is normally aspirated and the Z06 is supercharged. I feel sure there will be a turbo charged C7 that is priced with a starting point similar to the ZR1. Who knows what it will be called. It is probably under way in some corner of the skunk works and management has no idea it is underway.

Caddylac10 01-17-2014 09:39 PM

Think outside the box. No, there won't be a ZR1 on the C7 chassis. There's nothing left to do after the Z06 on that chassis.

Parts are already being sourced for the C8, believe it or not. A "new model" is expected in about three years. I don't know if that's the ZR1, but logic would indicate that it is.

In order to push the Corvette forward, a new platform is in order, not just for differentiation but for packaging and mechanical flexibility. Think mid-engine.

The ZR1 would have to be a one-off model; something special like the Ford GT.

Don't cry foul now. 8 speed paddle shifted automatics are here, supercars with targa tops are here, and blown Z06's are around the corner. Forget what you've known about the Corvette and think forward.

It should be noted that Cadillac is opening doors for the Corvette that weren't considered before. A big reason why the Z06 has the 8L90E is because the 3G CTS-V, which will receive the LT4 as well, will have the 8L90E.

Premium technology that is expected the luxury world, therefore Cadillac, must be developed. Thus, scalability and cost efficiency across appropriate models are available.

Don't under estimate GM's plans for the Corvette. It requires critical thinking beyond Chevy.

LT1xL82 01-18-2014 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Caddylac10 (Post 1585948962)
Think outside the box. No, there won't be a ZR1 on the C7 chassis. There's nothing left to do after the Z06 on that chassis.

Parts are already being sourced for the C8, believe it or not. A "new model" is expected in about three years. I don't know if that's the ZR1, but logic would indicate that it is.

In order to push the Corvette forward, a new platform is in order, not just for differentiation but for packaging and mechanical flexibility. Think mid-engine.

Don't cry foul now. 8 speed paddle shifted automatics are here, supercars with targa tops are here, and blown Z06's are around the corner. Forget what you've known about the Corvette and think forward.

It should be noted that Cadillac is opening doors for the Corvette that weren't considered before. A big reason why the Z06 has the 8L90E is because the 3G CTS-V, which will receive the LT4 as well, will have the 8L90E.

Premium technology that is expected the luxury world, therefore Cadillac, must be developed. Thus, scalability and cost efficiency across appropriate models are available.

Don't under estimate GM's plans for the Corvette. It requires critical thinking beyond Chevy.

:iagree: Your posts are consistently worth reading.

625 plus hp on the C7 Z platform, makes for a serious automobile. Other than bragging rights of more hp, a serious jump in motor may very well require changes in the car to be of value.

Mopar Jimmy 01-18-2014 12:33 AM

Well stated. :cheers:

Caddylac 10, what do you think the base price on the C7 Z06 will be $85K?

Caddylac10 01-18-2014 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by LT1xL82 (Post 1585949973)
:iagree: Your posts are consistently worth reading.

625 plus hp on the C7 Z platform, makes for a serious automobile. Other than bragging rights of more hp, a serious jump in motor may very well require changes in the car to be of value.

:cheers:

Spot on.

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1585950015)
Well stated. :cheers:

Caddylac 10, what do you think the base price on the C7 Z06 will be $85K?

I think it will be closer to 90K. Tadge said if you can afford a ZR1 you can afford the Z06, which leads me to believe it will probably split the difference. I think 90K - 115K, give or take a few, is about right.

A lot of people are balking at that but I think it needs to be put in perspective. There's a bigger option list this time around and the main reason for climb over 100K is the Z07 package, when ceramic brakes and Cup tires come into play.

The standard Z is going offer great value and most people will probably be able to walk off the lot for under 100K with a nicely equipped Z, which is exactly where people are asking the price to be. GM knows this and that's why they are offering three packages, so they don't alienate buyers. The current C6 Z already hits a 100K fully loaded so no one should see that as odd.

musclecar6 01-18-2014 10:56 AM

Tadge does a great job of explaining things and revealing as much info as he can. He can't reveal GM's future plans with the corvette, or he will be looking for a job. If a ZR1 is already in the works, he can't say anything about it. Those who fault him for not telling everything he knows, are just ------ in the head.

My guess is the Z06 pricing will be in the 80/100 range as previously mentioned by others. Essentially the Z06 is going to be a great improvement over the C6 ZR1 with the A8 and removable roof at a price that will draw in tons of buyers. The Z06 will be plenty fast for the street and I'm a charter member of the too much is never enough club. As others have said, getting the Z06 to hook up will be enough of a challenge.

Z06Ronald 01-19-2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by musclecar6 (Post 1585951961)
Tadge does a great job of explaining things and revealing as much info as he can. He can't reveal GM's future plans with the corvette, or he will be looking for a job. If a ZR1 is already in the works, he can't say anything about it. Those who fault him for not telling everything he knows, are just ------ in the head.

My guess is the Z06 pricing will be in the 80/100 range as previously mentioned by others. Essentially the Z06 is going to be a great improvement over the C6 ZR1 with the A8 and removable roof at a price that will draw in tons of buyers. The Z06 will be plenty fast for the street and I'm a charter member of the too much is never enough club. As others have said, getting the Z06 to hook up will be enough of a challenge.

Well said! :thumbs:

phantasms 01-19-2014 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW (Post 1585924291)
GM handlers can announce with a straight face no C7 " ZR1" ( because it would be badged as " L88 " )
:yesnod:

100% Agree. :cheers:

Best,
Gene

jr3 01-20-2014 02:23 AM

They said there was no new Camaro Z28 coming... No C7 Z06 coming... Now we have BOTH.

A GM rep on the Camaro forum was quoted as saying "We have to tell little white lies."

You can probably go ahead and bet your life on a C7 ZR1 :D

HHughes1 01-20-2014 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Supermassive (Post 1585941318)
As if the Z06 isn't already a supercar...

There is no such thing as enough horsepower for some people, and horsepower does not equate to supercar. Overall handling and performance equate to supercar. How does a TT V8 magically make a better performing engine? You change the entire character of the engine with turbochargers, sure you'll likely get a few more horsepower at a given boost level but then what? The front engine rear drive platform can only handle a certain amount of horsepower before that horsepower negatively affects other aspects of the car's performance. The Ferrari F12 is a perfect example of what too much power does to a car. The base C7 was barely slower around a track than a 720hp Ferrari...not exactly flattering for the Ferrari. So where do you draw the line on power? I know some people on these forums just want MOAR POWAH! for their drag strip heroics, but the average consumer that can afford a Z06 or ZR1 want a car that does more than goes fast in a straight line. We want that power to be accessible, and useful on fun twisty roads and tracks. I have a feeling the Z06 pushes the limit of the C7 chassis as far as useable power. Wider tires will only get you so far as the Viper can attest to with it's 375's that it can easily break traction with.

So a DCT option will make a supercar? I am so tired of this nonsense cheerleading for a technology that for all intents and purposes suffers from similar issues to a normal auto. The only thing is no one is pushing tc auto tech as most manufacturers default to the available DCT's instead of trying to find a better approach. The ZF8 speed that the 8L90 is based on is a fantastic transmission that already had fast shifting, GM decided to take that ZF8 speed and engineer it to shift faster and handle even more power and torque. So what happens when the TC auto becomes better than the DCT at doing what a DCT does? Will everyone still clamor for the DCT while "poo-pooing" the auto because of their firmly held belief that theres no way it could be better and that it's just not exotic enoug to be considered "supercar" worthy? I have long held the belief that DCT's would eventually be trumped by tc autos and I wouldn't be surprised that we might just get the first ever auto that truly offers DCT track performance with smooth as silk daily driver performance, something DCT owners often lament.

I know people just want a bigger number to brag about while hanging out at the starbucks with your fellow waxers (no offense to waxers I like to show my toys from time to time too) but, what could they possibly add to the Z06 to make it worth more money and warrant a whole different trim level?

Outstanding summary :thumbs:

Combine what's already been demonstrated with the C7 along with what's planned for the new Z06 and you have a car capable of challenging any production built car. The primary limiting factor as always will be driver ability and Chevy has addressed the issue better than most with PTM.

Like it or not, new technology such as PTM, the MR suspension, an auto option(BTW MB has done wonders with a wet clutch MCT tranny) and CC brakes primarily allow drivers to safely experience more of the performance envelope which equates to "real world performance".

The only way I see to up the ante, would be an AWD option with proper differential calibration. Sub 3 second 0-60 and 10 second quarter miles would be "automatic" with decent launch control software. The car would be an absolute monster from a dig or slow roll which seems to be a priority for many but at the same time power through an apex would become greatly enhanced for the other crowd.

Chicago1 01-20-2014 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut (Post 1585919744)
Read a statement from him saying that if sales aren't good enough, this will likely be the last Z06 as well. The sales have to be better or there won't be any big top dog style Vette a few years from now.

So, I don't doubt for a second we're not going to see a ZR1 for this gen car. If the sticker is pushing 100K for the base Z06 I wouldn't count against a mid-range car to fill the gap, but even that's going to be a stretch IMO.

someone is using their brains this am....:thumbs:

heavychevy 01-20-2014 12:01 PM

Who could still want more hp? And what are you going to do with it? 700 hp and twins? 750 hp? The car would be so laden with nannies to keep people from killing themselves it wouldn't even be fun to drive. A ZR1 makes no sense in light of what the Z06 is packing. GM surely doesn't want to warranty that. And it makes no business sense to stack a turbo vehicle on top of a SC one unless they are switching everything to Turbo's in the future.

On top of that, they would be playing the ZR1 name out, cannibalizing sales of one with the other. Next thing you know people will be pining for 800 hp, 900 hp and to do what with that? Drive slow looking for the Corvette wave for the vast majority of them.

sam90lx 01-20-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Caddylac10 (Post 1585951638)
:cheers:

Spot on.

I think it will be closer to 90K. Tadge said if you can afford a ZR1 you can afford the Z06, which leads me to believe it will probably split the difference. I think 90K - 115K, give or take a few, is about right.

A lot of people are balking at that but I think it needs to be put in perspective. There's a bigger option list this time around and the main reason for climb over 100K is the Z07 package, when ceramic brakes and Cup tires come into play.

The standard Z is going offer great value and most people will probably be able to walk off the lot for under 100K with a nicely equipped Z, which is exactly where people are asking the price to be. GM knows this and that's why they are offering three packages, so they don't alienate buyers. The current C6 Z already hits a 100K fully loaded so no one should see that as odd.

No.....it has been stated numerous times, if you can afford the C6 Z06 you can afford the C7 Z06.

Bet it starts around 80k.

Caddylac10 01-21-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1585968214)
No.....it has been stated numerous times, if you can afford the C6 Z06 you can afford the C7 Z06.

Bet it starts around 80k.

But where has it been stated numerous times? By people guessing on this forum? We're all guessing. However, there are reports of Juechter stating that if you can afford the ZR1, you can afford the Z06. There also seems to be a report stating that if you can afford the C6 Z06, you can afford the C7 Z06. If I had to logically guess, splitting the difference would make sense but time will tell.

Even if it does come down to "if you can afford the C6 Z06, you can afford the C7 Z06," that doesn't mean the pricing will be same. The C6 Z already hits 100K. There is a big difference between making the base price 100K and providing options that take a fully loaded car over 100K. Just because the fully loaded price is higher than before, it doesn't mean you can't "afford the Z." It just means there are options that go a little higher for those that want it.

midnightbluS10 02-14-2014 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1585920805)
Well no zr1, that's not cool... Wonder how they will sale the new z06 now that we know their game, just wait for the new c8 z51, it will be as fast or faster than the c7z06 for 30k less....

With that mindframe , why buy anything at all? Wonder how they will sell the new c8 z51 when we know their game...Just wait for the new c9, it will be as fast or faster for about the same value. Might as well wait til the c10 comes out... By that time, it should have 750+hp, going by logical progression.

mirage2991 02-15-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10 (Post 1586173831)
With that mindframe , why buy anything at all? Wonder how they will sell the new c8 z51 when we know their game...Just wait for the new c9, it will be as fast or faster for about the same value. Might as well wait til the c10 comes out... By that time, it should have 750+hp, going by logical progression.

I was being facicious...I know it wasn't obvious....:cheers:

mirage2991 02-15-2014 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Caddylac10 (Post 1585976308)
But where has it been stated numerous times? By people guessing on this forum? We're all guessing. However, there are reports of Juechter stating that if you can afford the ZR1, you can afford the Z06. There also seems to be a report stating that if you can afford the C6 Z06, you can afford the C7 Z06. If I had to logically guess, splitting the difference would make sense but time will tell.

Even if it does come down to "if you can afford the C6 Z06, you can afford the C7 Z06," that doesn't mean the pricing will be same. The C6 Z already hits 100K. There is a big difference between making the base price 100K and providing options that take a fully loaded car over 100K. Just because the fully loaded price is higher than before, it doesn't mean you can't "afford the Z." It just means there are options that go a little higher for those that want it.

he said if you could afford the c6Z06 not the the c6 ZR1... he said fully options Z06 to be under 100k....no sure why there's any arguements left....:smash:

ChucksZ06 02-15-2014 09:57 AM

....no sure why there's any arguements left....
I agree. Remember though, there are lots of old men on this forum and arguing is about all they can do anymore.

eegle 02-15-2014 12:25 PM

Build it and the'll come.

But, I don't see GM taking the risk for 4 or 5 years. I hope I'm wrong.

eegle 02-15-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by HHughes1 (Post 1585966222)
Outstanding summary :thumbs:

Combine what's already been demonstrated with the C7 along with what's planned for the new Z06 and you have a car capable of challenging any production built car. The primary limiting factor as always will be driver ability and Chevy has addressed the issue better than most with PTM.

Like it or not, new technology such as PTM, the MR suspension, an auto option(BTW MB has done wonders with a wet clutch MCT tranny) and CC brakes primarily allow drivers to safely experience more of the performance envelope which equates to "real world performance".

The only way I see to up the ante, would be an AWD option with proper differential calibration. Sub 3 second 0-60 and 10 second quarter miles would be "automatic" with decent launch control software. The car would be an absolute monster from a dig or slow roll which seems to be a priority for many but at the same time power through an apex would become greatly enhanced for the other crowd.

Could not agree more.

Glenmcp 02-15-2014 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by vette ruminator (Post 1585922299)
The C6 carried a very long production run, as GM bankruptcy put real development of the C7 on the back burner. Once the excitement died down over the C6 Z06, the ZR1 was a way to continue the new, halo car excitement. The upside was that it is still an amazing super car that can compete with the best and the costliest. The downside over time was that there were still ideas from 2005 in a 2013 car.

If the C7 Z06 sells well enough and if C8 development progresses, there may not be a case for the ZR1...

:iagree:

Depending on sales, profit and the economy, a ZR1 may not be needed. Then again, you never know.

SBC_and_a_stick 02-15-2014 02:25 PM

My initial impulse is to agree. The only move forward is mid-engine and a build from scratch. One should look no further than the NSX. Seems odd, but remember that Honda is still a leader in technology and that their last super car was 10 years ahead of its time. Forced induction, mid engine rear drive + electric driven front drive seems to be the most capable layout.

But, ....big but, mid engine 4wd is against the Corvette recipe in three big ways.
1. There won't be enough storage capacity. GM prides itself in developing a car that's as fast the competition while being more versatile. Once you slam the engine in the back there is no trunk, not with a big engine. Once you implement hybrid front drive there is also very little room up front. This is not the Corvette way.
2. Tricky on the limit. 4wd is the savior but if it is only mid engine, the car becomes much more prone to oversteer. For the average buyer, an FMR layout is much safer and intuitive than a MR layour (rear drive only).
3. Cost will be through the roof. GM prides itself on making a car that's as fast as the competition but much much cheaper. That is primarily due to economies of scale where heavy duty components are shared with the large commercial vehicles. A one off mid engined car will share much less with other GM cars.

Then there is the time frame. It took GM how many years to get the C7 out? It took the C7 how many months to figure out its supplier issues? It's going to take how many months to produce the Z06? Think how little is changed from the C6 to C7, from the C7 base to C7 with comp seats and see through top, from the C7 Stingray to C7 Z06. A change to a new platform is a million times harder to implement.

You mention Ford GT, that is not really a build from scratch now is it? The vision was there, and that is huge.

To sum up, a mid engine Corvette is not very useful from day to day, it is very expensive to build, and would take a very long time to build. So one thing has to happen. Either we get a ZR1 to tie us over to the mid engined Corvette, or we get a ZR1 because any other big step would take too long to implement. Either way we are getting a ZR1.

GM is probably worried to death regarding its truck line at this moment. Ford is releasing all aluminum trucks. That is a big deal, they should be worried. Moving the C7 aluminum frame in house probably helped GM learn how to make frames cheaply for the whole fleet. That's what's on the design table.

We'll probably get a Z06 with more boost=ZR1. I wouldn't put it past GM. You get supercar performance cheaper with Corvette, but you always get it later. That's the catch, there is no free lunch.

ivanjo11 03-04-2014 09:27 AM

There is going to be pressure to make a SuperVette that can challenge the 3 Hypercars these cars have really raised the bar pretty high.

So is going to take of lot of engineering to make a Supervette that can run with the big 3.

DoctorV8 03-04-2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1586180660)
2. Tricky on the limit. 4wd is the savior but if it is only mid engine, the car becomes much more prone to oversteer. For the average buyer, an FMR layout is much safer and intuitive than a MR layour (rear drive only).

With modern advancements in suspension/tire/eLSD/stability control, this is a non issue. The 458 Italia is a perfect example. Makes the driver feel like Schumacher on DE days.

You mention Ford GT, that is not really a build from scratch now is it? The vision was there, and that is huge.
Are you suggesting the FGT used an existing chassis? I would hope you are not.

While there were small corners cut on the GT project, Ford/SVT came up with a world class supercar (from scratch) that was class leading in both test track numbers and the intangible "feel", all in a record amount of time. To this day, nearly a decade after it hit the road, it has better steering feel/shifter/clutch action than virtually anything I've driven.

TurboJunky 03-04-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1586317488)
There is going to be pressure to make a SuperVette that can challenge the 3 Hypercars these cars have really raised the bar pretty high.

So is going to take of lot of engineering to make a Supervette that can run with the big 3.

The C6 Z06 sold pretty well until the ZR1 and Grand Sports came out (and even the 427). Attempts to freshen up an old model line.

Now the new Z06 seems to incorporate the GS/ZR1 and the Z06 in hopes that they can combine those sales into 1 offering.

But at an approx 620hp there is still room to improve.

Caddy has a twin turbo engine now and part of me thinks a ZR1 will come out in 2-3 years with a twin turbo 6.2L making 700hp with CCB and all the aero of the Z07 etc. And it will be 130k+

I am just hoping the 2015 Z06 can be had for under 90k. I can potentially get one then

ivanjo11 03-04-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TurboJunky (Post 1586318265)
The C6 Z06 sold pretty well until the ZR1 and Grand Sports came out (and even the 427). Attempts to freshen up an old model line.

Now the new Z06 seems to incorporate the GS/ZR1 and the Z06 in hopes that they can combine those sales into 1 offering.

But at an approx 620hp there is still room to improve.

Caddy has a twin turbo engine now and part of me thinks a ZR1 will come out in 2-3 years with a twin turbo 6.2L making 700hp with CCB and all the aero of the Z07 etc. And it will be 130k+

I am just hoping the 2015 Z06 can be had for under 90k. I can potentially get one then

Well 700HP is no enough to challenge the big 3 you will need to be north of 850 hp to have a shot to compete against those.

mirage2991 03-04-2014 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by TurboJunky (Post 1586318265)
Caddy has a twin turbo engine now and part of me thinks a ZR1 will come out in 2-3 years with a twin turbo 6.2L

Except GM already stated they couldn't do turbos the way they saw fit in the C7 platform...

not sure why people still bring turbo and c7 anything in the same sentance despite GM stating quite the contrary....I can only assume it's the same reason why some peopl still think the new Z06 all optioned will be above 100k :willy:

Chicago1 03-04-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1586318431)
Except GM already stated they couldn't do turbos the way they saw fit in the C7 platform...

not sure why people still bring turbo and c7 anything in the same sentance despite GM stating quite the contrary....I can only assume it's the same reason why some peopl still think the new Z06 all optioned will be above 100k :willy:

Same people that think there will be a zr1..GM can't afford it but people are to blind to see the truth. This is it folks no zr1 this is the best of both worlds. leave it be already.

TurboJunky 03-04-2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1586318431)

i did not see that

MEJ 03-04-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06 (Post 1586178904)
I agree. Remember though, there are lots of old men on this forum and arguing is about all they can do anymore.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Hilarious!
:D:D:D

NytmereZ 03-04-2014 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1586320228)
Same people that think there will be a zr1..GM can't afford it but people are to blind to see the truth. This is it folks no zr1 this is the best of both worlds. leave it be already.

:iagree: so many blinders on here its funny, but people have nothing better to do than create what is not.
I wish GM actually gave the performance numbers for the car already, or just waited to reveal it when the R&D was 100% done! Basically every topic in the c7Z section is a waste of time, it consists of false or made up theories, because some forum member is bored.

mnavarro 03-04-2014 10:40 PM

There's plenty of cool technology to put in a ZR1. How about a KRS with the 2.3 blower to put out more hp and torque over then entire power curve of the Z06. Active air brake, more carbon fiber parts like wheels to bring the weight down. These things when added up could make a ZR1 compete with hypercars at a price of 150K or less. I can't afford this but there are enough wealthy people who love corvettes to cost justify a limited run of a LT88 or ZR-1. I don't think the car has to be mid-engine to take advantage of these technologies. Some form of AWD would help more. The KRS could be a real possibility given the packaging of it.

ivanjo11 03-05-2014 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by mnavarro (Post 1586324210)
There's plenty of cool technology to put in a ZR1. How about a KRS with the 2.3 blower to put out more hp and torque over then entire power curve of the Z06. Active air brake, more carbon fiber parts like wheels to bring the weight down. These things when added up could make a ZR1 compete with hypercars at a price of 150K or less. I can't afford this but there are enough wealthy people who love corvettes to cost justify a limited run of a LT88 or ZR-1. I don't think the car has to be mid-engine to take advantage of these technologies. Some form of AWD would help more. The KRS could be a real possibility given the packaging of it.

But i would say in the AL frame they are running out off ways to cut weight out unless they go to the next step that is either all Carbon Fiber tub or a Hybrid frame like the Huracan.

mirage2991 03-05-2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by TurboJunky (Post 1586320965)
i did not see that

in one of the Tadge's video, he was asked why gm choose a blower over a turbo set up... in short he said packaging issues on the c7 platform made it such they could not do turbo(s).
That basically is the giant axe that just fell down onto the turbo anything in a c7.

At this point, since gm has departed from the basics (z06 = n/a track oriented and light weight) and made the new z06 essentially a zr1, who knows what they do next...

harlold 03-05-2014 11:05 AM

I'd love to see Chevy spin everyone and develop a KERS system for the ZR1 if they built it.

This forum might implode at the idea.

To me it would be innovative for an American sports car.

TurboJunky 03-05-2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mirage2991 (Post 1586326519)
in one of the Tadge's video, he was asked why gm choose a blower over a turbo set up... in short he said packaging issues on the c7 platform made it such they could not do turbo(s).
That basically is the giant axe that just fell down onto the turbo anything in a c7.

At this point, since gm has departed from the basics (z06 = n/a track oriented and light weight) and made the new z06 essentially a zr1, who knows what they do next...

thanks

I will have to look that one up

QUIKAG 03-05-2014 04:02 PM

I guess I'll be driving a magical C7 ZR1 unicorn in 3-4 years while some of you continue to bloviate that there is no way GM would EVER make a 700+hp hypercar fighter. :rolleyes:

ivanjo11 03-06-2014 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by harlold (Post 1586326929)
I'd love to see Chevy spin everyone and develop a KERS system for the ZR1 if they built it.

That would be great putting some F1 technology in the Z.

Z06Ronald 03-06-2014 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by harlold (Post 1586326929)

:yesnod: that would :rock: !!!

mirage2991 03-06-2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG (Post 1586329394)
I guess I'll be driving a magical C7 ZR1 unicorn in 3-4 years while some of you continue to bloviate that there is no way GM would EVER make a 700+hp hypercar fighter. :rolleyes:

you might be! :rock:

just not seeing 700hp car when you already have a blown Z06 at 625....if anything a track pacakge a la Z28....what would be funny is if they do a track pacakage called the ZR1 with an NA L88 engine name tag lol

oicw 03-06-2014 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1586318357)
Well 700HP is no enough to challenge the big 3 you will need to be north of 850 hp to have a shot to compete against those.

Making 850hp is not hard, putting it down reliably, on a track, is the challenge.

As much as I like to hope, I just don't see GM offering hypercar performance at this price point. The active spoiler system on a P1 is probably worth more than my whole engine.

Now, there're nothing stopping guys like Katech from building a track version that can run with the hypercars, at the cost of streetability. A tuned up C7Z on full aero, coilovers, and r-comps can probably stay with a P1 with depleted battery pack :D

ivanjo11 03-06-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by oicw (Post 1586337148)
Making 850hp is not hard, putting it down reliably, on a track, is the challenge.

As much as I like to hope, I just don't see GM offering hypercar performance at this price point. The active spoiler system on a P1 is probably worth more than my whole engine.

Now, there're nothing stopping guys like Katech from building a track version that can run with the hypercars, at the cost of streetability. A tuned up C7Z on full aero, coilovers, and r-comps can probably stay with a P1 with depleted battery pack :D

Even in the P1 with it rear weight bias you can easily induce power oversteer out of corners as seen in videos..