CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   In Defense of Water Injection (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3387120-in-defense-of-water-injection.html)

Apocolipse 12-09-2013 04:51 PM

Latent heat of evaporation:

Water: 2260kJ/kg
Methanol: 1100kJ/kg

And no I am not done yet with the other thread, it is a lot more to explain in that one vs this one.

When Methanol gets combusted in the cylinder its sure not cooling it during this process :P

SBCGENII 12-09-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6 (Post 1585634629)
Its impossible that water cools just as good or better than methanol.

At the temperatures in the combustion chamber water will have a much easier time cooling. A little water can absorb a lot of heat. The reason that cars run on straight meth so cool is the volume of fuel they use. Cars running meth have to run way more fuel than even E85 cars.

SBCGENII 12-09-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Apocolipse (Post 1585635195)

When Methanol gets combusted in the cylinder its sure not cooling it during this process :P

Cars certainly run cooler on e85/meth.

DOUG @ ECS 12-09-2013 05:02 PM

I think the best is just do what you prefer, and if you wish to line up an equal build to equal build, one with water injection, one with straight meth, (in our general capacity of LS builds) then I will gladly wager you on the straight meth car to win, and I'm not much of a gambling man, I just have a lot of seat time with this in particular.
That said, if your not looking for more power, then yes I understand the physics behind the two.

Apocolipse 12-09-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by SBCGENII (Post 1585635276)
Cars certainly run cooler on e85/meth.

Because of the difference in heat that is released from the combustion process vs gasoline. Same reason diesel run "cooler". It is not because the meth/e85 is taking OUT heat it is because it burns cooler.

stevieturbo 12-09-2013 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS (Post 1585635296)
I think the best is just do what you prefer, and if you wish to line up an equal build to equal build, one with water injection, one with straight meth, (in our general capacity of LS builds) then I will gladly wager you on the straight meth car to win, and I'm not much of a gambling man, I just have a lot of seat time with this in particular.
That said, if your not looking for more power, then yes I understand the physics behind the two.

I guess it also boils down to usage. Not everyone is fixated on 1/4 mile alone.

For a 100% fast road car, water can make a lot of sense. It's free, it works, it's available almost everywhere, and in terms of usage, it is more efficient by volume. And of course it is 99.9% safe.

Even for a track, road course or whatever. ie any hard use longer than a few seconds. Water again would be more efficient, any volume would last longer.

If you couldnt make 750-800rwhp using water/pump, then something is badly wrong. Certainly at that sort of level, methanol is not required IMO.

Would methanol make the task easier ? Yes it probably would. But not 100% necessary.

p1bz 12-09-2013 05:21 PM

Everybody, just do what you like....some understand, some don't. This thread wasn't about hp numbers, but to some, that is all that matters.

joshtownsend 12-09-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6 (Post 1585634758)
Number's don't lie. By all means sir give your scientific response with data to back it up. Still waiting on your scientific response in the other thread surly you have finished moving by now.

So what your saying is that methanol itself dont actually cool the combustion chamber? If that's what your saying I don't think your correct.

I suppose for now we will have to agree to disagree. :lol:

just because you have 415 days a year that its 65 degrees and sunny with a 1% chance of sprinkles doesn't mean your right..

and btw.. when that 1% does happen.. you people go crazy... really.. its just WATER!!!

joshtownsend 12-09-2013 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS (Post 1585635296)

thats because the meth car was an A and A built car..

SBCGENII 12-09-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Apocolipse (Post 1585635353)
Because of the difference in heat that is released from the combustion process vs gasoline. Same reason diesel run "cooler". It is not because the meth/e85 is taking OUT heat it is because it burns cooler.

So meth and E85 makes more power and burns cooler sounds like a win win. What is the water for again?

95wht6spd 12-09-2013 07:16 PM

I get my car tuned Friday. I have an Alky Control kit, and it will be a non-meth dependent tune, just for safety, single nozzle. So since not looking for extra power, and I think I will have plenty of fuel, should I have it tuned with water? If I have it tuned with meth, could I use water if I wanted to later without a retune, say if I ran out etc?

user_name 12-09-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SBCGENII (Post 1585636293)
So meth and E85 makes more power and burns cooler sounds like a win win. What is the water for again?

Doesn't burn at all. Steams and evaporates. Hard to light things on fire when they are moist.

2 different arguments in here. If you are arguing about making the most power like Doug@ECS said meth only wins hands down. Now, add some water on top of that volume of meth, and you will have a setup even less prone to detonation if you were approaching the limits of the tune via boost, timing, etc. That's my experience.

LTstewy8 12-09-2013 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by SBCGENII (Post 1585636293)

:spit:

SBCGENII 12-09-2013 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by user_name (Post 1585636419)
Now, add some water on top of that volume of meth, and you will have a setup even less prone to detonation if you were approaching the limits of the tune via boost, timing, etc. That's my experience.

This should be in the first post. With the temperature and pressure in most of these cars charge pipes meth will lower the IAT's the best but i cant think of anything more resistant to detonation than water. Get the benefits of both with the proper mix

Just went back and read the first post. That was in the first post lol.oops

MVP'S ZO6 12-09-2013 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by joshtownsend (Post 1585635793)
just because you have 415 days a year that its 65 degrees and sunny with a 1% chance of sprinkles doesn't mean your right..

and btw.. when that 1% does happen.. you people go crazy... really.. its just WATER!!!

:lol:

Guess ill just have to use my car for testing. Ill call julio tomorrow and order some different nozzles. I predict a 4-8 % power loss between 100% meth and a 50/50 mix.

PhysicsDude55 12-09-2013 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6 (Post 1585636636)

Guess ill just have to use my car for testing. Ill call julio tomorrow and order some different nozzles. I predict a 4-8 % power loss between 100% meth and a 50/50 mix.

:lurk:

Do it for science :thumbs:

SBCGENII 12-09-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 (Post 1585636820)

Do it for Physics :thumbs:

:smash:

MVP'S ZO6 12-09-2013 08:20 PM

MVP'S ZO6 12-09-2013 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 (Post 1585636820)

Do it for no real apparent reason at all :thumbs:

:yesnod:

Apocolipse 12-09-2013 08:48 PM

Maybe learn something :)