CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   In Defense of Water Injection (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3387120-in-defense-of-water-injection.html)

Envied_Z 12-26-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1585752492)
I'd like to think an F2 could do 1k on pump alone ?

And you are of course correct, port injection would be superior in almost every respect...

The only one slight negative, might be some people like to place the nozzles further away from the valves to give the methanol time to cool the charge. How important that actually is, I dont know.

Plus with port injection, it might be harder to get a reading from an air temp sensor, as it too would need mounted very close to the intake valve.

But any liquid injected would still do it's job in the chamber, and in equal doses.

Aquamist actually make some great nozzles for port injection. Either with a built in check valve, or without designed for use with their fast acting valve ( ie solenoid controls fluid flow, rather than relying on pump speed which is far less accurate )

You're right, port injection will be better in every aspect minus the cooling aspect.

I'm not going turbo though so how much am I really worried about cooling the charge? Not really worried with a intercooler supercharger.

I'm just looking for the consistant octane rating per cylinder

Envied_Z 12-26-2013 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by joshtownsend (Post 1585753821)

haha no problem what so ever.. please tell me you will run me for some money.., >$1000 with that "9.1 cr F2".. hahaha

You need to get off the internet and get in the shop before you waste any more money.. that setup is going to be a turd and a half.. I have have some doubt you would make over 1000...and if you do... Its going feel so slow for so long... then it takes off like a rocket.... problem is.. once it does.. the race is already over for everyone else because they would be finished.. that setup with the "one pulley" 4 inch that they make for the f2 and corvettes, if your doing cog drive, will make around 26-28psi.... my d1 makes 23... Can you justify an extra $15k and being slower?

fyi..i could care less about the fogger kit too.. its really not going to matter and probably pool up in the intake anyways.. Its need time to atomize sp? before doing anything...

Can I quote you on this?

Let me guess, you spent some money at a shop to go fast, they told you to do something, you did it, and now you think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread?

I work with 4500 hp blown alchohol motors for a living...I think I can handle a little street motor but thanks for your input

Darion 12-26-2013 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Envied_Z (Post 1585760634)
Can I quote you on this?

Let me guess, you spent some money at a shop to go fast, they told you to do something, you did it, and now you think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread?

I work with 4500 hp blown alchohol motors for a living...I think I can handle a little street motor but thanks for your input

:lurk:

You and Josh are going to get along great! :hide: Going to the shop and spending money for their experience is more my thing, Josh on the other hand...... :leaving:

Would like to see how your idea works out though. Over the years many have talked about doing something similar but never really have seen it pull together. :yesnod:

PC

Envied_Z 12-26-2013 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Darion (Post 1585761026)

:lurk:

You and Josh are going to get along great! :hide: Going to the shop and spending money for their experience is more my thing, Josh on the other hand...... :leaving:

Would like to see how your idea works out though. Over the years many have talked about doing something similar but never really have seen it pull together. :yesnod:

PC

I'll be sure to post a lot a pictures when it comes time to do it. I'm just taking injectors from our old injection set up on the pro mod

DOUG @ ECS 12-26-2013 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Envied_Z (Post 1585742985)
I dont know about everyone else on here but I'm in the process of building a 427 with an F2 procharger and I'm planning on running port meth injection...100%

Something like this?

algZO6 12-26-2013 11:42 AM

Sharp!!!! I want!!!

MVP'S ZO6 12-26-2013 12:05 PM

That is pretty bad ass!!

p1bz 12-26-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS (Post 1585761995)
Something like this?

How soon do you turn the kit on? Much delay? How would you know if a nozzle got plugged?

BLOWNBLUEZ06 12-26-2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by joshtownsend (Post 1585747034)
hahah Going to be a fail.. 100% guarantee it.. been there, done that.. but have at it.. When you start selling parts off because is don't run any faster then what you have right now.. let me know. i like parts for 75% of list

Don't go acting like you could afford his setup at 75% off Josh. You know you don't wanna sell house for it. It'll be too hard to get those rusted wheels back on it anyways. :D

BLOWNBLUEZ06 12-26-2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Envied_Z (Post 1585752397)
A 427 running 9:1 compression with a F2 I'm gonna struggle to make 1000 hp? Lol ok...

If you take the area of one or two nozzles (what ever you would run before the throttle body) and divide that into 8 injectors please tell me how that is any different? It just gives you the peace of mind that every cylinder is getting an equal amount

If port injection is worse how come cars come with fuel injection and not carburetor?

How come the big hp nitrous guys run fogger systems instead of a plate or one nozzle?

I've got a 81 tooth balancer that I'll have available soon if you're running a cog system and interested.

p1bz 12-26-2013 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by blownbluez06 (Post 1585762449)
don't go acting like you could afford his setup at 75% off josh. You know you don't wanna sell house for it. It'll be too hard to get those rusted wheels back on it anyways. :d

:d...

DOUG @ ECS 12-26-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by p1bz (Post 1585762289)
How soon do you turn the kit on? Much delay? How would you know if a nozzle got plugged?

Same as it was before as a twin nozzle for the turn on, roughly 3-4lbs. Not sure what you mean by delay? It's no different then before, we just have a solenoid in line so the vacuum does not pull the meth in the intake.

The reason we knew we needed this mod was from running a Haltech ECU with 8 EGT's. We noticed that this car with two 15lb nozzles (1050rwhp) had a temp difference of over 300* from the front cylinders to the back. Now the difference is just over 100* as it is and I can play with individual cylinder fueling from there. So I would see it in a log if one clogged very quickly, but there are filters.

p1bz 12-26-2013 06:38 PM

Very nice. Has me thinking.

BLOWNBLUEZ06 12-26-2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by p1bz (Post 1585764693)
Very nice. Has me thinking.

It's certainly on my list. :yesnod:

stevieturbo 12-26-2013 06:44 PM

Aquamist make a range of jets with built in check valves so there is no issue with vac pulling liquid in. Plus it would mean no lag time at all.

Or you could opt for one of their FAV ( Fast Acting Valve ) controlled by an ecu or their controller for proper controlled delivery of liquid instead of relying on the more crude pump speed option.

http://www.aquamist-direct.com/check...r-4mm-od-hose/

DOUG @ ECS 12-26-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1585764744)
Aquamist make a range of jets with built in check valves so there is no issue with vac pulling liquid in. Plus it would mean no lag time at all.

Or you could opt for one of their FAV ( Fast Acting Valve ) controlled by an ecu or their controller for proper controlled delivery of liquid instead of relying on the more crude pump speed option.

http://www.aquamist-direct.com/check...r-4mm-od-hose/

How can you have a check valve that goes in the direction of flow? It would have to have a 30lb spring in it to over come engine vacuum.

Alky control has them too, but it has to not flow in one direction or the other.. So a valve is needed when on the vacuum side of the throttle body, and there's no lag. It's controlled by the PAC module, power to the pump opens the valve instantly.

stevieturbo 12-26-2013 07:04 PM

Correct, it will have a spring inside stronger than the engine could ever pull via vacuum.

As water injection pressure is always far higher than this, it does what it needs to do. Stops water ingestion during vac, and allows it when pump is active.

they are designed specifically for that purpose.

DOUG @ ECS 12-26-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1585764871)
Correct, it will have a spring inside stronger than the engine could ever pull via vacuum.

As water injection pressure is always far higher than this, it does what it needs to do. Stops water ingestion during vac, and allows it when pump is active.

they are designed specifically for that purpose.

I wonder if that impedes overall flow after having to over compensate for that spring pressure. Nice product, but I still dont like the plastic lines.

Darion 12-26-2013 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS (Post 1585764602)
Same as it was before as a twin nozzle for the turn on, roughly 3-4lbs. Not sure what you mean by delay? It's no different then before, we just have a solenoid in line so the vacuum does not pull the meth in the intake.

The reason we knew we needed this mod was from running a Haltech ECU with 8 EGT's. We noticed that this car with two 15lb nozzles (1050rwhp) had a temp difference of over 300* from the front cylinders to the back. Now the difference is just over 100* as it is and I can play with individual cylinder fueling from there. So I would see it in a log if one clogged very quickly, but there are filters.

The more I pick up on the many different options that Haltech ECU has the more ingenious it looks! So you can run and monitor every cylinder as apposed to a bank of cylinders and make appropriate fueling changes from there? That's pretty darn impressive especially given the general knowledge that the back cyclinders run hotter than the front, which you all verified through your data, nice work. :thumbs: What program do you use to monitor and make adjustments with that setup? I currently have HPTuners and have been working my way through getting some kind of a grip on it.

Nice setup!

:cheers:

PC

DOUG @ ECS 12-26-2013 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Darion (Post 1585764971)
The more I pick up on the many different options that Haltech ECU has the more ingenious it looks! So you can run and monitor every cylinder as apposed to a bank of cylinders and make appropriate fueling changes from there? That's pretty darn impressive especially given the general knowledge that the back cyclinders run hotter than the front, which you all verified through your data, nice work. :thumbs: What program do you use to monitor and make adjustments with that setup? I currently have HPTuners and have been working my way through getting some kind of a grip on it.

Nice setup!

:cheers:

PC

On this particular car with the LS7 intake, it's the front cylinders that run hotter then the back. I thought it might have been from the meth slamming the back of the intake, but if you look into an LS7 intake the front ports are very open to the T/B and I think they just get more airflow because of that.
I do not have flow data to support that though, but it makes sense.

The Haltech can add or subtract fuel per cylinder, with the Sport 2000 it is a set percentage though. Meaning if you add 5% it's going to get it all the time, but you may only need that once your in boost, making the cruising fuel slightly rich in that cylinder. Not a big deal, but not ideal. The new ECU the "Elite", will be able to adjust individual cylinder fueling along with adjustments per MAP setting. So cruise can be equal and in boost ramp up as needed per intake flow.

Pretty cool stuff. :thumbs: