CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3385756-im-20-years-old-looking-to-buy-a-08-should-i-get-auto-or-stick-never-drivin-stick.html)

128 12-06-2013 12:59 PM

Part of the fun of owning this car is the shifting. The 6 speed in this car is fantastic and adds to the fun of the "driving experience". My first vette was an automatic, thought I wanted it. Hated it. Sports cars are meant to be shifted. And I do not mean by some gimicky paddle shifter. Get the 6speed. You will not regret it.

HRS KLR 12-06-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06 (Post 1585609518)
So you have a wife and a gf? Good job playa!

I was gonna ask the same question :D

crAzy 12-06-2013 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ReckDalton (Post 1585609554)
Haha 👍

Originally Posted by HRS KLR (Post 1585609586)

:thumbs:

RoadkingC6 12-06-2013 01:24 PM

Part of the fun of owning this car is the shifting. The 6 speed in this car is fantastic and adds to the fun of the "driving experience". My first vette was an automatic, thought I wanted it. Hated it. Sports cars are meant to be shifted. And I do not mean by some gimicky paddle shifter. Get the 6speed. You will not regret it.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

Bill Dearborn 12-06-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ReckDalton (Post 1585605031)
I wana Z06 but she said she will never drive in it or anything b/c she knows how much HP it has iv shown her videos

Her comment really doesn't make sense. What kind of cars has she ever ridden in? All engines produce HP that increases from just barely being able to idle to their max power point. The Z06 only has 69 more HP than a base car with the NPP mufflers. In the vast majority of situations there will be no difference in HP being produced than the 436 HP engine. Around town and on the highway she will never notice the difference. Will either car out accelerate a Honda Accord that is running wide open? Yes, but they can also pace right along with it at a crawl. Horse power really depends on how far you push your foot down. You can scare the crap out of her and yourself in a Honda Accord, a base Corvette or a Z06.

Bill

Bill Dearborn 12-06-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 128 (Post 1585609564)
Sports cars are meant to be shifted. And I do not mean by some gimicky paddle shifter. Get the 6speed. You will not regret it.

Not sure what the mechanism used to move the transmission from one gear to another has to do with enjoying a manual transmission. The only differences between the paddles and the shift lever is where they are located and the method (electrical Vs clunky mechanical linkage) of transmitting the driver's desire to the transmission.

Bill

funz06 12-06-2013 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by HRS KLR (Post 1585609586)

Son, this is another entire subject---is your WIFE telling you or asking you (really the same thing--asking and telling once we marry them) NOT to buy the ZO6? Or, is she just saying she won't ride in a ZO6 if you get one? If she will let you get one and just won't ride in it---go for it; however, if she said not to get a ZO6, then don't---says the guy happily married close to 40 years. In my previous post I thought it was your girlfriend--didn't realize it was your wife. Don't kid yourself--in a happy marriage the wives always rule--we all know that---and they are clever. My wife pretends she doesn't know how to drive a stick (she was driving one for years when I met her, and she has driven our son's 2002 stick Camaro). This is her way of ensuring I won't have more than two beers when we are out with the corvette---since she "can't" drive a stick, and she knows I won't drive if I have more than 2 beers.............she wins. As I tell my son who is married---don't fight city hall---the wives are always right--just deal with it and move on...we can never really win; accept it and be happy.

crAzy 12-06-2013 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by yellow427 (Post 1585610386)
Son, this is another entire subject---is your WIFE telling you or asking you (really the same thing--asking and telling once we marry them) NOT to buy the ZO6? Or, is she just saying she won't ride in a ZO6 if you get one? If she will let you get one and just won't ride in it---go for it; however, if she said not to get a ZO6, then don't---says the guy happily married close to 40 years. In my previous post I thought it was your girlfriend--didn't realize it was your wife. Don't kid yourself--in a happy marriage the wives always rule--we all know that---and they are clever. My wife pretends she doesn't know how to drive a stick (she was driving one for years when I met her, and she has driven our son's 2002 stick Camaro). This is her way of ensuring I won't have more than two beers when we are out with the corvette---since she "can't" drive a stick, and she knows I won't drive if I have more than 2 beers.............she wins. As I tell my son who is married---don't fight city hall---the wives are always right--just deal with it and move on...we can never really win; accept it and be happy.

I can not accept this. I never will. Maybe why I prob will never marry.

ReckDalton 12-06-2013 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by yellow427 (Post 1585610386)

She said no to the zo6 she said it's to much you will kill yourself .. And I will not ride It with you

ReckDalton 12-06-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1585610328)
Her comment really doesn't make sense. What kind of cars has she ever ridden in? All engines produce HP that increases from just barely being able to idle to their max power point. The Z06 only has 69 more HP than a base car with the NPP mufflers. In the vast majority of situations there will be no difference in HP being produced than the 436 HP engine. Around town and on the highway she will never notice the difference. Will either car out accelerate a Honda Accord that is running wide open? Yes, but they can also pace right along with it at a crawl. Horse power really depends on how far you push your foot down. You can scare the crap out of her and yourself in a Honda Accord, a base Corvette or a Z06. Bill

I took her for a test drive in a 09 ls3 and she did not like going fast . She said hell no to zo6 lol ls3 okay 436 hp is just fine

bpGx 12-06-2013 03:13 PM

Buy stick and don't mind hate you will get from this old farts on forum :)
they they don't like to see young people driving nice corvette
good luck

crAzy 12-06-2013 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ReckDalton (Post 1585610622)
I took her for a test drive in a 09 ls3 and she did not like going fast . She said hell no to zo6 lol ls3 okay 436 hp is just fine

OK well..What happens when you get the mod bug and start adding headers, exhaust, intake, cam, etc? You will then be as fast if not faster than a stock Z06.

ReckDalton 12-06-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06 (Post 1585610659)
OK well..What happens when you get the mod bug and start adding headers, exhaust, intake, cam, etc? You will then be as fast if not faster than a stock Z06.

I ALLREADY HAVE THE MOD BUG AN DONT HAVE A VET YET!!! That's another thing should I pay the money I do it my way or just get a zo6

ReckDalton 12-06-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by bpGx (Post 1585610626)
Buy stick and don't mind hate you will get from this old farts on forum :) they they don't like to see young people driving nice corvette good luck

Haha thank you

Vette_DD 12-06-2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1585606965)
Why not? Too difficult for you to operate the clutch and gas more than once a day.

If you had bothered to read the many posts on the forum from Vette drivers that switched from stick to automatic for that reason, you wouldn't have asked such a silly question.

But if that's how you get your exercise, shifting gears 10-12 times in 4 or 5 blocks, enjoy it.

Of course, some here prefer to make decisions on the basis of practicality instead of emotion.

funz06 12-06-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ReckDalton (Post 1585610737)
I ALLREADY HAVE THE MOD BUG AN DONT HAVE A VET YET!!! That's another thing should I pay the money I do it my way or just get a zo6

You're not listening ......ask for a few more old, happily married guys to truthfully weigh in-----you have a great wife. One that is willing to let you get a corvette so early in your marriage.......she is a keeper...do what she wants and put off the ZO6 and mod madness for the 2nd or 3rd corvette (oh yea, there will be a 2nd and 3rd corvette---once you get the fever...).

crAzy 12-06-2013 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ReckDalton (Post 1585610737)

Just get a grand sport and be done with it. You'll have less HP with almost being identical to the Z06. This way you can please your wife (for now) since it has the LS3 motor. Then when she least expects it you go and mod it.

ReckDalton 12-06-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by yellow427 (Post 1585610829)
You're not listening ......ask for a few more old, happily married guys to truthfully weigh in-----you have a great wife. One that is willing to let you get a corvette so early in your marriage.......she is a keeper...do what she wants and put off the ZO6 and mod madness for the 2nd or 3rd corvette (oh yea, there will be a 2nd and 3rd corvette---once you get the fever...).

Oh man lol

corvettejack 12-06-2013 04:15 PM

I drove sticks all my life not a vette but cars trucks I now have 2008 auto. with paddle shift which I drive in sport mode all the time except when on the hi-way you can up shift and down shift at will without dealing with a clutch and shifter no spilling coffee can talk on cell and still have control of all the shifting those with a stick will tell you to buy a stick misery loves company Jack

x88 12-06-2013 04:28 PM

Why is this even a question? Auto is for 2 types of people only: 1) straight line drag racers, 2) amputees.