CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Can't decide between Z51 and non Z51 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3381746-cant-decide-between-z51-and-non-z51.html)

FrancisDGarcia 11-27-2013 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u (Post 1585540727)
Have my eye on a black Z51 and a torch red non-Z51, both 1LT. I won't be tracking the car and don't need the ultimate handling Z. Will I really
miss the extra equipment of the Z. Non Z owners please chime in also.
I'm leaning towards the non Z51 because of the color and it's less bucks.:cheers:

Since you don't plan to track the car, a non Z51 would make better sense.

Bob-G 11-27-2013 10:36 PM

Thanks to the OP for the post. This is something that I have been giving a lot of thought to as well. Even though I don't need everything that the Z51 package gives, it does deliver a lot for the price. One of the biggest reasons I think about getting the Z51 package is the wheels, I like them better than the standard wheels (no offense to anyone that has the standard wheels, I have seen them in person, and they do look good). If I didn't get the Z51 and wanted to change the wheels, that would still cost more than the package does.

That leads me to this question. I have read several posts where folks have recommended getting the MRC option (more money) if you get the Z51 package, because without the MRC the ride can be stiff. Can anyone comment on that?

Another question - if you don't get the MRC option, how does the NPP exhaust work if you get that option, or can you get that option without MRC? I understand that the NPP exhaust works with Sport and Track mode with the MRC option, but if that option isn't purchased, how does the NPP work?

Thanks in advance for any info.

BlueOx 11-27-2013 10:41 PM

I finally got a chance to sit and closely look at one inside a dealer showroom all by myself for about 45 minutes recently. I really got a chance to look close at the non-Z51 model with 3LT and machine wheels. Very cool. Seat was perfect for me and can only imagine how much better it will be than my C6's seat when I get a chance to drive one.

I like the look of either car so the look wouldn't make a difference in my choice of which one to go with.

markk1 11-27-2013 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bgmail777 (Post 1585541502)
Thanks to the OP for the post. This is something that I have been giving a lot of thought to as well. Even though I don't need everything that the Z51 package gives, it does deliver a lot for the price. One of the biggest reasons I think about getting the Z51 package is the wheels, I like them better than the standard wheels (no offense to anyone that has the standard wheels, I have seen them in person, and they do look good). If I didn't get the Z51 and wanted to change the wheels, that would still cost more than the package does.

That leads me to this question. I have read several posts where folks have recommended getting the MRC option (more money) if you get the Z51 package, because without the MRC the ride can be stiff. Can anyone comment on that?

Another question - if you don't get the MRC option, how does the NPP exhaust work if you get that option, or can you get that option without MRC? I understand that the NPP exhaust works with Sport and Track mode with the MRC option, but if that option isn't purchased, how does the NPP work?

Thanks in advance for any info.

BG, I can't answer whether the MRC is worth it, other than to say not for me. I did order the NPP without MRC without issue. Still have Track and Sport modes without MRC, I believe.

2 Ag R8Cs 11-27-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by craig04c5 (Post 1585541074)
Gearing! .3 second faster in 1/4 mile.

You need the Z51 to get the exhaust option. The exhaust only gives you a few extra HP but the difference in sound make it worth the extra money

C7_Z06 11-27-2013 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs (Post 1585541622)
You need the Z51 to get the exhaust option. The exhaust only gives you a few extra HP but the difference in sound make it worth the extra money

NPP is an available option on all C7's, not limited to the Z51.

Larry/car 11-27-2013 11:41 PM

I went through the same thought process. I decided on the base suspension, seven speed manual, 2LT (all the toys), navigation, non NPP. Didn't get a chance to do a test drive, will drive a Z51 when I get a chance. Later (year or two) will trade again. Suspension? Went with the less costly option without personally being able to drive both versions.

2 Ag R8Cs 11-27-2013 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray (Post 1585541699)
NPP is an available option on all C7's, not limited to the Z51.

I guess I got confused, there are a few items hat can only be ordered if you get Z51. I thought the NPP one of them

Snorman 11-27-2013 11:43 PM

IMO...$2800 for the Z51 package is a no-brainer.
S.

Snorman 11-27-2013 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs (Post 1585541977)
I guess I got confused, there are a few items hat can only be ordered if you get Z51. I thought the NPP one of them

MSRC would be the big item not available on the non-Z51 cars.
S.

C7pimp 11-28-2013 12:11 AM

The slight gearing difference in the first four gears doesn't affect it that much down the 1320.

A non z51 ran 11.6x stock, so if that isn't enough proof that the 1/4 comparison between the two is negligible then I don't know what is. The 60lb weight advantage of the nonZ offsets the slightly taller gearing nearly in full.

Snorman 11-28-2013 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1585542138)
The slight gearing difference in the first four gears doesn't affect it that much down the 1320.

A non z51 ran 11.6x stock, so if that isn't enough proof that the 1/4 comparison between the two is negligible then I don't know what is. The 60lb weight advantage of the nonZ offsets the slightly taller gearing nearly in full.

I agree completely.
C'mon guys...get out there and run your cars and prove me right. A non-Z51 A6 car will be the ticket at the dragstrip.
S.

C7pimp 11-28-2013 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1585541983)
S.

Depends really. The value is definitely there. Nobody has questioned that.

I prefer no spoiler, will do aftermarket wheels anyways, don't road course my car, so why spend $2800 for stuff that will never get utilized the way it is meant to? Then it becomes a no brainer to forego the option if these are the circumstances.

Other than having heated seats and the aesthetics of the 3LT Kalahari, a Base 1LT coupe with NPP and painted calipers is all I want.

I'd rather spend the extra money on a blower and do without hatred sests and tan leather. My mustang has a somewhat Kalahari color anyways, so all black will be a nice change.

Glen e 11-28-2013 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1585542211)
Depends really. The value is definitely there. Nobody has questioned that.

I prefer no spoiler, will do aftermarket wheels anyways, don't road course my car, so why spend $2800 for stuff that will never get utilized the way it is meant to? Then it becomes a no brainer to forego the option if these are the circumstances.

Other than having heated seats and the aesthetics of the 3LT Kalahari, a Base 1LT coupe with NPP is all I want.

yup...it's a great deal but I don't need any of it. I wanted a soft ride and used the money to buy 19/20 wheels and other things. Hated the spoiler. I ordered when there were no constraints so I could have got it. But looking back, I'm glad I did'nt. I know it's hard to believe here, but there are a few of us that actually did not want the z51....I have the NPP, but would forgo it next time. Roared around town for a few days, and really like the quiet better.

C7pimp 11-28-2013 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1585542170)
I agree completely.
C'mon guys...get out there and run your cars and prove me right. A non-Z51 A6 car will be the ticket at the dragstrip.
S.

I went from 3.31's to 4.10's in my stang and picked up 0.4 seconds consistently on street tires. That's a huge gearing change and picked up 0.4 and 4.10's are optimized gearing for a 5 spd S197 GT down the 1/4. A couple bonus 1/10ths were found using some stickies with the shorter gears, you can get off the line HARD with gears that short and stickies.

With the low and midrange torque, and weight of the vette you don't need short gears to get off the line hard like that.

ZL-1 11-28-2013 12:57 AM

The C7 has been out a while now. Most of us have seen some, and lots of pictures. Looking at them more and more I get a different feel for the two models. The base cars with 18/19 wheels and no spoiler look like a long low GT car, like an Aston Martin. The Z51 cars with 19/20 wheels and the spoiler appear a bit smaller but more aggressive, ready to pounce. I like both looks, each in its own way. Does anybody else see this or have I just been staring at Stingrays too long? :crazy2:

Ketch2631 11-28-2013 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by ZL-1 (Post 1585542378)
The C7 has been out a while now. Most of us have seen some, and lots of pictures. Looking at them more and more I get a different feel for the two models. The base cars with 18/19 wheels and no spoiler look like a long low GT car, like an Aston Martin. The Z51 cars with 19/20 wheels and the spoiler appear a bit smaller but more aggressive, ready to pounce. I like both looks, each in its own way. Does anybody else see this or have I just been staring at Stingrays too long? :crazy2:

Totally agree, I thought I was the only one who thought that!

3 Z06ZR1 11-28-2013 05:59 AM

:willy:

Turbooo2u 11-28-2013 06:43 AM

S.

Your probably right, but there are no 7-sp, Z51 units within 1000 miles except the black one I'm looking at, but I just don't like the color.:cheers:

Racerdj 11-28-2013 06:46 AM

S.

+1
In the past I have more than once regretted not getting all the options I wanted over having too many unused ones. I will not track the car but like the looks of the Z-51. Isn't the crank (main) modified too? With the mag ride, the ride is very comfortable when I want it and stiffer when I want it. Due to the newness of the car and not having the ability to test a car with less, I feel I did the best for my wants.
Bottom line: With this car there are no wrong answers!