CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Prices falling fast on new C7's (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3376458-prices-falling-fast-on-new-c7s.html)

michaelinmech 11-23-2013 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1585501757)
What the heck are you talking about? :)

Are you suggesting the C7 sales are poor? On what basis? Are you suggesting the 911 will sell more cars than the C7? :D

Let's see... over VIN 6,000 in only a couple of months real production and leading into winter when sales will sag for a 2 seat sports car. Early production contraints and supply clearly not being up to demand across North America. Yet somehow you seem to have concluded there is an issue? :eek: Maybe I'm misinterpreted.

If there is a sales issue (which there isn't today) it's because the Corvette still has an image problem to overcome even with the new styling. There is still an "old man's car" perception... I get it all of the time when I tell people I have a Corvette coming. The C7 is starting to reverse that a bit but there is a lot of work to do and that will only improve as the cars get on the road for people to see. Until then, GM will continue to battle a perception issue. Had they not made a change, the perception would have been perpetuated and the Corvette would have become a dinosaur IMO. But, regardless of how good the C7 is, changing this isn't as simple as flipping a switch.

The logic around this place leaves a lot of be desired :lol:

P.S. The only real negative feedback on the car are from a few folks here. There may have been one article where an outside reviewer had anything but glowing words. The "controversy" is only a controversy to a few here but that debate is old news now anyway.

P.P.S. Who are these people who talked about ordering and then disappeared? I'm thinking that anyone who disappeared was solely because of how painful it has been over time to spend time here thanks for a few folks.

P.P.P.S. There are LOTS of folks who wouldn't buy a 911 because of bland styling that has never really changed. I personally like the Porsche styling but many do not. Your comparison to Porsche isn't really relevant because lots of people buy Porsche for the status if no other reason... that will prop their sales and has little to do with styling.

Gthal - you've only been a member here for 9 months and in that short time have made 2,275 posts. Respectfully, you seem to post your expert opinion on anything & everything that comes up here.

Then you complain "how painful it has been to spend time here because of a few folks" . . . . that "the logic around this place leaves a lot of be desired" . . . . . and "the Corvette still has an image problem to overcome even with the new styling"

For a place where it's painful to be, with member's logic that leaves a lot to be desired, and a car that has a image problem, one wonders, why are you spending so much painful time here foisting your opinions on illogical members about their image deficient car???

:confused2:

Hirohawa 11-23-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1585501757)
What the heck are you talking about? :)

Are you suggesting the C7 sales are poor? On what basis? Are you suggesting the 911 will sell more cars than the C7? :D

Let's see... over VIN 6,000 in only a couple of months real production and leading into winter when sales will sag for a 2 seat sports car. Early production contraints and supply clearly not being up to demand across North America. Yet somehow you seem to have concluded there is an issue? :eek: Maybe I'm misinterpreted.

If there is a sales issue (which there isn't today) it's because the Corvette still has an image problem to overcome even with the new styling. There is still an "old man's car" perception... I get it all of the time when I tell people I have a Corvette coming. The C7 is starting to reverse that a bit but there is a lot of work to do and that will only improve as the cars get on the road for people to see. Until then, GM will continue to battle a perception issue. Had they not made a change, the perception would have been perpetuated and the Corvette would have become a dinosaur IMO. But, regardless of how good the C7 is, changing this isn't as simple as flipping a switch.

The logic around this place leaves a lot of be desired :lol:

P.S. The only real negative feedback on the car are from a few folks here. There may have been one article where an outside reviewer had anything but glowing words. The "controversy" is only a controversy to a few here but that debate is old news now anyway.

P.P.S. Who are these people who talked about ordering and then disappeared? I'm thinking that anyone who disappeared was solely because of how painful it has been over time to spend time here thanks for a few folks.

P.P.P.S. There are LOTS of folks who wouldn't buy a 911 because of bland styling that has never really changed. I personally like the Porsche styling but many do not. Your comparison to Porsche isn't really relevant because lots of people buy Porsche for the status if no other reason... that will prop their sales and has little to do with styling.

I will give you a short answer.

C7 rollout has not been smooth on any level

- "Controversial" rear end styling that eradicated more than half century of iconic design - Motor Trend had a round table vid and said that half the online comments where negative about the C7 styling. Half.
- Weight gain - C7 has not reduced weight which bucks the trend the C5 started then continued with the C6.
- Modest power increase (24hp) vs C5 to C6 increase (50hp)
- QC problems (misaligned panels & paint) that should not be on any new car in 2013

You can't go against expectations of your core group of buyers.

- Now $2000+ discounts on a 6 week old car!!

This DID NOT HAPPEN to the C6 at intro - It's been less then two months into the cycle - how big of a discount will there be 3 years from now.

Thankfully the car performs like a beast- but honestly that is not a surprising.

The NAIS and the C7 Z06 is big chance to clean up some of this mess up.

The "Old man car" is nonsense and marketing BS. How many 20 somethings drive Turbo 911s or Ferraris. The Corvette is expensive and will not compete with kids buying a Civic, Genesis or even the 80,000 units a year Camaro.

Red08 11-23-2013 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by drmustang (Post 1585458529)
You can do your own homework if you don't wanna believe that. Z06s can be had all day in the 40s. 40 or slightly less with some miles. You call "BS" on me? LOL! You obviously do not have a clue Pal! Do some reasearch before you make a fool of yourself again.

You were asked to provide examples. Dont get all bent out of shape just because you got challenged. Where are the examples to support your claim. Hmmm?

gthal 11-23-2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1585504094)
Gthal - you've only been a member here for 9 months and in that short time have made 2,275 posts. Respectfully, you seem to post your expert opinion on anything & everything that comes up here.

Then you complain "how painful it has been to spend time here because of a few folks" . . . . that "the logic around this place leaves a lot of be desired" . . . . . and "the Corvette still has an image problem to overcome even with the new styling"

For a place where it's painful to be, with member's logic that leaves a lot to be desired, and a car that has a image problem, one wonders, why are you spending so much painful time here foisting your opinions on illogical members about their image deficient car???

:confused2:

First, I'm not putting down Corvettes at all but I have seen the perception out there first hand. That isn't an insult but you seem to be sensitive to that idea so if it bothered you that I said it, I apologize. I have a car coming so clearly it wasn't intended to be an insult to the car but it is an observation based on comments from many people when then find out I'm getting one... however that attitude also changes quickly when they see pictures of the C7!

I'm here Because I like the car and am buying one... unlike lots of people who spend as much or more time here being negative than I do.

P.S. My "expert" opinion is no more expert than anyone else's when we are discussing opinions. How long I've been here is also irrelevant. How I voice my opinions is really no different than you or anyone else. I weigh in on topics of interest and when I believe I add to the discussion. Sometimes, yes, that is to counter an argument that I believe to be incorrect. I think its possible I've seen you do that very same thing :) But, given I've only been a member since February, I should probably not post as often because the fact that you took the time to check my count suggests it bothers you :D

My "logic" comment was relative to the conclusions reached without the data to support them and then painting a picture that may or may not be correct.

gthal 11-23-2013 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585504584)
The "Old man car" is nonsense and marketing BS. How many 20 somethings drive Turbo 911s or Ferraris. The Corvette is expensive and will not compete with kids buying a Civic, Genesis or even the 80,000 units a year Camaro.

I disagree. It isn't nonsense. I get it all of the time relative to the Corvette. Corvettes are inexpensive relative to other performance cars from BMW, MB and Porsche. Lots of younger people could afford them if they wanted. In this day and age, $60K isn't that much for a car... heck, pickup trucks can be that much! I find it funny how many people seem to discount that. The number of 20 to 35 year olds on the M3 and C63 forums are WAY higher as a percentage than here and there are lots of people in this age group that can afford those more expensive cars or Daddy will buy it for them.

Historically, they don't seem to be as interested in Corvettes... that's not to say some aren't but it isn't like you will see for M3s or C63s. So, the stigma of being an older persons car is absolutely true and absolutely something GM needs to change IMO. If it wasn't true, why would GM even talk about appealing to a different demographic. Hopefully the C7 starts to do this.

Also, there are a LOT of "core" buyers that GM hasn't offended or turned off :thumbs: That's pretty evident here.

gthal 11-23-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1585504738)
GTHAL Obviously members find your negativity off putting at best. My grandmother always told me there are negative people who are happy only when they are finding fault. I think she said finding fly **** in pepper. Think about that...

:D

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic given my negativity level relative to the C7 is pretty non existent (except for the damn constraint fiasco :ack:). If you aren't being sarcastic then please clarify as I'm missing something. :thumbs:

Or maybe you read someone else's post and thought it was mine. There's been no negativity on my end!

Red Lightening 11-23-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1585457478)
Was offered $2500 off by a local dealer I know yesterday

He said he thought they would be selling them at invoice by spring of 2014 :eek:

The reason being is that once GM flashes the new Z car at Detroit in January its going to be all over for the base car. All the focus will be on the latest thing of course. Prices will drop like a rock on the base car once the Z hits production.

Bill17601 11-23-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1585504782)
:D

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic given my negativity level relative to the C7 is pretty non existent (except for the damn constraint fiasco :ack:). If you aren't being sarcastic then please clarify as I'm missing something. :thumbs:

Or maybe you read someone else's post and thought it was mine. There's been no negativity on my end!

Sorry.. Poorly writen. I will remove

gthal 11-23-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1585504916)
Sorry.. Poorly writen. I will remove

:D. No worries. Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't missing something. :thumbs:

Snorman 11-23-2013 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Red Lightening (Post 1585504866)
The reason being is that once GM flashes the new Z car at Detroit in January its going to be all over for the base car. All the focus will be on the latest thing of course. Prices will drop like a rock on the base car once the Z hits production.

lol...because everybody who buys a Corvette can afford a ~$90-100k Z06/07. :lolg:
S.

Red Lightening 11-23-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1585505218)
lol...because everybody who buys a Corvette can afford a ~$90-100k Z06/07. :lolg:
S.

That's how it worked with the C6 no reason not to think anything will change with the C7 Z . I also read where the new Z will have both a manual or an 8 speed automatic option. That should really widen its audience if true.

Snorman 11-23-2013 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Red Lightening (Post 1585505284)
That's how it worked with the C6 no reason not to think anything will change with the C7 Z . I also read where the new Z will have both a manual or an 8 speed automatic option.

How what worked? People stopped buying base C6's because they started buying Z06's? Are you serious?
How many people actually bought a ~$100k C6? And if it's not a Z06/07 and GM only builds a ZR1 (as some have been speculating), the pool for that may get even smaller if the price eclipses $100k.

It's going to be interesting to see who on here actually pulls out their wallet when a high performance model is unveiled, especially if it's available in an automatic.
S.

rcallen484 11-23-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1585505300)
How what worked? People stopped buying base C6's because they started buying Z06's? Are you serious?
How many people actually bought a ~$100k C6? And if it's not a Z06/07 and GM only builds a ZR1 (as some have been speculating), the pool for that may get even smaller if the price eclipses $100k.

It's going to be interesting to see who on here actually pulls out their wallet when a high performance model is unveiled, especially if it's available in an automatic.
S.

:iagree: He is obviously in error.

Slappy3243 11-23-2013 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Red Lightening (Post 1585504866)

Is this a joke? C6 sales did NOT tank when the C6 Z06 was released. The Z06 is a low volume car as is the ZR1. There are very FEW Corvette buyers waiting to buy a new hi-po model relative to the number of buyers that will get a regular C7. The logic on this board is very questionable at best :rofl:

marktsmith 11-23-2013 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by LPE385 (Post 1585457605)
Its not surprising if they keep up with current production numbers. When they bring out a few more models that will slow up production some. You know the first GS/Z0? version is going to be high production that first year too.

What amazes me is people are still willing to pay $50,000 for a 4-5 year old Z06. Even the used Grand Sports 2-3 years old with in $10,000 of a
C7.

That's because they have beautiful smooth lines and they can haul the mail.

rcallen484 11-23-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by marktsmith (Post 1585506853)
That's because they have beautiful smooth lines and they can haul the mail.

Correct, they are beautiful, powerful machines. Whoever came up with the concept that they can't BOTH be VERY DESIRABLE Corvettes?

nous defions 11-23-2013 09:27 PM

Pretty much most of this thread is conjecture. It was interesting reading, however.

rcallen484 11-23-2013 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by nous defions (Post 1585506885)
Pretty much most of this thread is conjecture. It was interesting reading, however.

What I still have a hard time understanding is the folks that seem to WANT the C7 to not sell as well as previous generations. What is that all about?

1985 Corvette 11-23-2013 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1585506910)
What I still have a hard time understanding is the folks that seem to WANT the C7 to not sell as well as previous generations. What is that all about?

Maybe it's a tiny desire in the back of some people's minds to have owned the best last Corvette before everything hit the fan for the brand. Probably why we still have some guys yelling Vettes weren't made after 1967 despite them being chromed out, aerodynamic as a bricks on bicycle tires, by comparison to modern Vettes. Any of those items mentioned would be a death sentence in the performance car world these days. I think every gen has a group that feels that way about their car when it was being replaced. Considering the OP has a 2013 GS he has massaged over to "lay pipe" to C7s should he run into them, I may not be far off.

INGER67 11-24-2013 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by c5vette73 (Post 1585458366)
I gladly paid MSRP for my C7 and feel I'm getting every penny's worth of that suppossed $2K I may have overpaid.

Let's see, $2K amortized over 72 months.... oh no! $28/month.

There is no price for the excitement this car generates not only for me, but for all of those who have celebrated it with me.:thumbs:

By the way, for those so concerned about getting a good deal, it seems that's more important to them than actually getting the car.

:iagree: You're happy with the price you paid & you're enjoying it:thumbs:.