CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Navigation System: $795 POS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3373717-c7-navigation-system-795-pos.html)

talon90 08-18-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by dbdave (Post 1587620005)
Paul, just wondering if the one hour session you're doing at the 20th is going to be long enough. Is there a possibility of more time, more sessions? Maybe half a day?

From just what's on here it looks like it will be a popular one to attend and will help quite a few owners. :thumbs:

The way my presentation is tailored, I can get through the subject in the allotted time. What will suffer is the Q&A period and I will make myself available immediately after the session for one on one time or group time with anyone that wants to follow me out of the theater. I've always done this with my presentations. Odds are we can find a car to use (my car will be there) to go over specific subjects and questions.

I had tried to secure some additional time in the theater but unfortunately there has been another seminar added that starts 15 minutes after mine ends. Being a Caravan year, it is a little busy and they are trying to pack a lot in to a short period of time.

I'm also around most of Friday and part of Saturday and always find time to get together with folks that have questions.

talon90 08-18-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rob 99 (Post 1587622953)

Unfortunately not, family vacation in FL.

It will be video taped and available for download after the fact, along with a copy of the slides.

SASprof 08-18-2014 03:40 PM

The left and right arrows on the home page do nothing. I assume that's because there is only one page of icons? But there is the potential for adding more icons/apps later?

I was able to move the icons around and re-order them. I understand they can also be moved in and out of the upper tray. Any other edit functions? Delete?

talon90 08-18-2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SASprof (Post 1587624556)
The left and right arrows on the home page do nothing. I assume that's because there is only one page of icons? But there is the potential for adding more icons/apps later?

I was able to move the icons around and re-order them. I understand they can also be moved in and out of the upper tray. Any other edit functions? Delete?

The arrows are an artifact of the earlier version of the software. The original plan was to develop an "app" store (Open source coding and development kits were created) but it has yet to have materialized. Once that functionality was enabled, you would have been able to add apps and that would have necessitated subsequent pages. Until that time that this functionality is enabled, the arrows will remain useless decorations.

Pressing on any icon and holding, will place the screen in to edit mode. In edit mode you can rearrange the icons (as you have discovered) and you can add or subtract icons to the quick access tray at the top. You can place up to five icons in the upper tray for quick access from any other app. For example, I have Audio, Phone, Nav, Weather and Microphone (Siri) in my upper tray. This way if I'm in the nav on route guidance and want to see the upcoming weather, one press of the weather icon takes me there as opposed to having to press the home button, press the weather app. It saves a step for frequently used applications. Press the home button to exit edit mode.

No other editable functions for the home screen.

SASprof 08-18-2014 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587625704)
The arrows are an artifact of the earlier version of the software. The original plan was to develop an "app" store (Open source coding and development kits were created) but it has yet to have materialized. Once that functionality was enabled, you would have been able to add apps and that would have necessitated subsequent pages. Until that time that this functionality is enabled, the arrows will remain useless decorations.

Pressing on any icon and holding, will place the screen in to edit mode. In edit mode you can rearrange the icons (as you have discovered) and you can add or subtract icons to the quick access tray at the top. You can place up to five icons in the upper tray for quick access from any other app. For example, I have Audio, Phone, Nav, Weather and Microphone (Siri) in my upper tray. This way if I'm in the nav on route guidance and want to see the upcoming weather, one press of the weather icon takes me there as opposed to having to press the home button, press the weather app. It saves a step for frequently used applications. Press the home button to exit edit mode.

No other editable functions for the home screen.

Answers my questions. Thanks, Paul! I appreciate all the help!

girardta 08-18-2014 06:48 PM

I made a short trip out of Dallas, and wanted to see what it would do to get me back.

I could SEE where I wanted to go, and the GPS was instructing me to go in the OPPOSITE direction.

Wish I would have left this out. Not worth the money at all.

SASprof 08-24-2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587623605)
Jim, no way to change that. As another poster had noted, I kind of like it only because it is much easier to discern where my turn is coming up at the higher magnification.

That is what it's supposed to show, and occasionally does show, but mostly, on So Cal freeways, it shows every cross freeway, repeatedly telling me to just stay on the freeway I'm already on. Meanwhile, I've lost the route overview. Worse, I've lost whatever else I was monitoring in the DIC. I really wish there was a way to manually control this via the zoom buttons, like I could on my C6.

lancekl 08-24-2014 03:01 PM

Paul,
Just used my Nav on a 1600 mile trip.
Worked well for the most part once I could get it to accept and find the address.
Seems to be a bit picky about format for the address. Example it would not find "sycamore terrace" but would find "sycamore terr".

Had a bit of an issue with the unit possibly losing location or satellite?
The window that shows upcoming turn would occasionally show just a straight arrow and the voice would say something like "stay on current route until further notice"
If I re-entered the address, sometimes it would go back to the route instructions, other times it would quickly revert to the straight arrow and instructions to stay on current route.

is this a function of losing the satellite signal or something else?

talon90 08-24-2014 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by lancekl (Post 1587670240)
Paul,
Just used my Nav on a 1600 mile trip.
Worked well for the most part once I could get it to accept and find the address.
Seems to be a bit picky about format for the address. Example it would not find "sycamore terrace" but would find "sycamore terr".

Had a bit of an issue with the unit possibly losing location or satellite?
The window that shows upcoming turn would occasionally show just a straight arrow and the voice would say something like "stay on current route until further notice"
If I re-entered the address, sometimes it would go back to the route instructions, other times it would quickly revert to the straight arrow and instructions to stay on current route.

is this a function of losing the satellite signal or something else?

For the Sycamore Terrace vs. Sycamore Terr, I find that the database has some interesting abbreviations. In a case like that, just enter Sycamore leave off any descriptor (Type your search like this: Sycamore, zip code)

This will give you a list of the streets with Sycamore in the name for that zip code. Because of the abbreviation errata in the database, less is more. My advice is always give it the most accurate information that you have.

On the "stay on current route", this is normal behavior. If you aren't going to be doing anything for XX miles (60, 70, 150, etc.) it will sometimes stop telling you what to do. This is normal. If you bring up the turn list (pressing the route box on the nav screen) you can see the turn by turn and the miles will count down to your next activity. When you get closer, it will resume giving directions. This avoids the habit that the C6 nav would have that every major highway off ramp the previous generation would tell you to "keep left" but it would be confusing because the route box would only list the miles to the next "keep left" rather then the next activity that you really needed to worry about like your next actual turn.

lancekl 08-24-2014 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587670427)
For the Sycamore Terrace vs. Sycamore Terr, I find that the database has some interesting abbreviations. In a case like that, just enter Sycamore leave off any descriptor (Type your search like this: Sycamore, zip code)

This will give you a list of the streets with Sycamore in the name for that zip code. Because of the abbreviation errata in the database, less is more. My advice is always give it the most accurate information that you have.

On the "stay on current route", this is normal behavior. If you aren't going to be doing anything for XX miles (60, 70, 150, etc.) it will sometimes stop telling you what to do. This is normal. If you bring up the turn list (pressing the route box on the nav screen) you can see the turn by turn and the miles will count down to your next activity. When you get closer, it will resume giving directions. This avoids the habit that the C6 nav would have that every major highway off ramp the previous generation would tell you to "keep left" but it would be confusing because the route box would only list the miles to the next "keep left" rather then the next activity that you really needed to worry about like your next actual turn.

It seems to be very inconsistent, at times it would show a turn 150+ miles away, and at other times is would go to stay on current route with less than 20 miles to the next turn.

The other thing that happened a few time was after about 2 hours or so of traveling, all of the buttons at the bottom of the infotainment system including the menu button would quit working. If i stopped and turned off the car for about 10 minutes, they would resume operation, but a quick shut down and start up would not restore them. . Any ideas?

talon90 08-24-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lancekl (Post 1587670715)
It seems to be very inconsistent, at times it would show a turn 150+ miles away, and at other times is would go to stay on current route with less than 20 miles to the next turn.

The other thing that happened a few time was after about 2 hours or so of traveling, all of the buttons at the bottom of the infotainment system including the menu button would quit working. If i stopped and turned off the car for about 10 minutes, they would resume operation, but a quick shut down and start up would not restore them. . Any ideas?

There is no set of circumstances in normal operation that should cause or allow for the buttons to stop working. Worth having a dealer take a look and see you have any history codes. It shouldn't do that.

MoabC7 08-25-2014 10:10 AM

Paul, thank you for contributing to this thread I started. Some very good information.

That said, I assume you have read my posts # 1,71 (page 4 especially detailed), 159, 163, 167 and 170.

The still unanswered original question is why does the C7's NAV function provide flat out wrong time and distance calculations, routing and turn information? And all the data is held within the system to get it right.

With your knowledge, experience, and contacts, would you please shed some light, and/or rattle some cages, as to why GM/Corvette continue to ignore the basic fact that the NAV algorithms are wrong? Why can't they fix what is obviously huge calculation errors that have been around since at least the C6?

I just don't get it.

talon90 08-25-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MoabC7 (Post 1587675487)
Paul, thank you for contributing to this thread I started. Some very good information.

That said, I assume you have read my posts # 1,71 (page 4 especially detailed), 159, 163, 167 and 170.

The still unanswered original question is why does the C7's NAV function provide flat out wrong time and distance calculations, routing and turn information? And all the data is held within the system to get it right.

With your knowledge, experience, and contacts, would you please shed some light, and/or rattle some cages, as to why GM/Corvette continue to ignore the basic fact that the NAV algorithms are wrong? Why can't they fix what is obviously huge calculation errors that have been around since at least the C6?

I just don't get it.

I will admit that I have not come close to reading this entire thread.

I will go and try to take a look at the posts you mentioned.

MoabC7 08-25-2014 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587675590)
I will go and try to take a look at the posts you mentioned.

Thank you sir.

talon90 08-25-2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MoabC7 (Post 1585414006)
So here we are with our wonderful, new TR C7 ready to take a little road trip from Moab to Salt Lake City, UT. Go out to the car and enter the destination address and like magic the route appears, 5 hrs 01 min, 303 miles. WTF? It has taken just about the longest and dumbest way to get to SLC. Just like our C6 POS nav system did. And yes the system is setup correctly! I complained to GM/Chevy back in 2009. Glad they decided to keep the same routing algorithms. Even the shortest route was listed as 5 hrs 23 min, 238 miles. (Which unlike the C6 the routing choices are a PITA to get to). And the C7 Nav system even has many highway and road speed limits built into it's data base.

So I again compared it to other Nav software: Delorme Street Atlas, iMaps, Google Maps, and the Nav system in my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All displayed the same and shortest route as the quickest. Average 4 hrs 14 min, 239 miles.

So looks like I will be looking for a RAM mount for my iPhone so I can have a dependable turn by turn routing device available. Pretty sad for a $75,000 vehicle. Thanks again GM. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Not knowing the specifics of where you were and where you were headed, I can try to talk to some of the points.

The C7 navigation system will (as you know) only choose between the fastest and the shortest. The "quickest" route option from the C6 is no longer an available calculation. The fastest route is just that, it looks at the types of roads and their speed limits and traffic situations and will choose the trip that will get you there in the shortest period of time, favoring roads with higher speed limits. The shortest route again, is just that. It will take in to account the lowest number of miles from start to finish to complete the trip. A couple of issues. First, the initial calculation displayed is more of a "as the crow flies" snapshot of the trip. It does this to get you a route starting at you location and details and changes the trip while it calculates. It does this to allow you to start navigating on a longer route without having to wait until it takes all of the other variables in to consideration. Usually within a few minutes (five or less) you will see that your time has now lengthened. The car assumes that you will complete the trip at the speed limit. If you travel faster than the speed limit, you will see the ETA and ETE count down as you travel and they will eventually converge. Think of the initial display once underway as the worst case scenario.

I don't know enough about the other systems to comment on why they do what they do or how it compares to the MyLink navigation app. I also don't know how their database compares to what is available for the Stingray.

I run in to several folks that are uncomfortable with the way these calculations take place and wonder why the system won't take their favorite short cut (not the case here). Geography does play a major role in this judgment and perception of satisfaction. I've not travelled with my car up and down the east coast and have not found any clear errors or discrepancies. I have over 9.700 miles on my car. Further, with all the work I did with the car prior to and since receiving mine, I haven't even been advised of a wrong turn by the system. What's that worth, nothing but it is another data point.

While I don't necessarily feel that it is the case here, I have encountered far more issues caused by cockpit errors. Folks that haven't checked use freeways for example in the route options and wonder why the system isn't taking them on to a highway.

You mention in your above post, that the shortest route calculated to 238 miles and your jeep calculated out 239 miles. It seems to me in the case you cited there that the Stingray is taking more realistic account of posted speed limits and the only other difference is a rounding decision.

I also don't understand why owners are never comfortable with, if they know a better way, take it and the system will reconcile what you have done and recalculate.

MoabC7 08-25-2014 11:06 AM

Paul, please read post 71.

As you see, the nav system is not calculating the fastest or shortest route correctly. It has nothing to do with a "favorite shortcut". I don't think it is too much to ask for the system to use even just the major US and State highway system and get it right. My posts detail that very well.

One calculation (Fastest) is longer and takes more time (and the time enroute is way off).

The other (Shortest) is shorter and faster, even with the ludicrous turn offs onto surface roads off the main route to obtain "shortcuts". And, the time enroute is still way off, but "faster" than the Fastest calculation.

Again all the data, distances and speed limits, are in the system. So why is everything so wrong with these calculations? A simple straight forward 122 mile route only on two US Highways and an Interstate results in nearly a 50% error in time enroute. No chance of taking a "favorite shortcut" there.

MoabC7 08-25-2014 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587675724)
I also don't understand why owners are never comfortable with, if they know a better way, take it and the system will reconcile what you have done and recalculate.

The problem arrises when you have to rely on the NAV system to layout your route and you don't know a better route. Like in an unfamiliar city or location. I shouldn't have to already know the best route, otherwise why would I waste the money on a system to tell me something I already know?

The errors in NAV systems calculations are there. Anyone can duplicate them. Why isn't GM and Corvette all over themselves fixing the problem? This isn't a "I wish it would do this" item, it is a major, fundamental problem in the programming that is being ignored.

tunaman 08-25-2014 11:28 AM

Maybe because it doesn't appear to be a glaring pervasive issue... We used it exclusively to help us navigate all the way across the country, 4230 miles across 15 states, when we took delivery in June, and didn't notice any egregious errors in calculations. It got us from point to point without any aberrant routing, and served the purpose very ably.

Sorry your experience isn't similar. My wife tells me weekly how cool it is (it is her daily driver), and she loves how the traffic is integrated now that she is commuting in our congested Bay Area location. Not to mention the HUD integration... For her, and us, it is a significant improvement over the C6 system as well as her Tom Tom that she used before this.

talon90 08-25-2014 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by MoabC7 (Post 1587675956)
The problem arrises when you have to rely on the NAV system to layout your route and you don't know a better route. Like in an unfamiliar city or location. I shouldn't have to already know the best route, otherwise why would I waste the money on a system to tell me something I already know?

The errors in NAV systems calculations are there. Anyone can duplicate them. Why isn't GM and Corvette all over themselves fixing the problem? This isn't a "I wish it would do this" item, it is a major, fundamental problem in the programming that is being ignored.

Inversely, had you not known the route you wouldn't know it was wrong and subsequently we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. The fundamental question is "would the system have gotten you from where you wanted to start to where you wanted to end?"

It seems that route decisions and styles are variables that are subject to options and even to personal preferences. Addresses and destinations are hard facts. You keep referring to this as an "error" and I don't view it that way. My first concern is does it get me where I'm trying to go. Give the system a different map and it will choose a different way to get there and that much is true for every GPS system out there.

talon90 08-25-2014 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by MoabC7 (Post 1587675887)
Paul, please read post 71.

As you see, the nav system is not calculating the fastest or shortest route correctly. It has nothing to do with a "favorite shortcut". I don't think it is too much to ask for the system to use even just the major US and State highway system and get it right. My posts detail that very well.

One calculation (Fastest) is longer and takes more time (and the time enroute is way off).

The other (Shortest) is shorter and faster, even with the ludicrous turn offs onto surface roads off the main route to obtain "shortcuts". And, the time enroute is still way off, but "faster" than the Fastest calculation.

Again all the data, distances and speed limits, are in the system. So why is everything so wrong with these calculations? A simple straight forward 122 mile route only on two US Highways and an Interstate results in nearly a 50% error in time enroute. No chance of taking a "favorite shortcut" there.

I read post 71. I tried in my reply to you to explain why the time calculations are "off" and different from what you expect. I can also only guess that had you followed it, it wouldn't have been as off from what you initially saw. It appears that it found where you were trying to go and even had it in the right location since the shortest miles were the same as your alternate means of calculating the trip. You didn't drive the trip so the calculated / displayed time is moot because as I noted, it starts at a worst case calculation. Did you view the turn list. Was it taking you on roads that were significantly out of the way based on it's fastest calculation? As I stated, fastest is more about the road type and speed limit of the road than it is the time to drive the road. It asks, what road can I travel the fastest on. What was the traffic further ahead on your route? Was it being taken in to account?

I am open to the fact that you view this as a problem. I am also open to the fact that I may just not be understanding specifically the significance in this "error" that you have experienced. I don't know where you are nor do I know where you were trying to go so it is harder for me (and frankly, anyone in customer service based on the facts as you have presented them) to visualize.