CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Navigation System: $795 POS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3373717-c7-navigation-system-795-pos.html)

talon90 08-15-2014 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by CaryKen (Post 1587602951)
Thanks for that, Paul. I'll try a few specifics on you to see if I am missing something I should be doing differently or more efficiently:

1) The nav system always wants to route me through a neighborhood near my house with a lot of speed bumps. Is there any way to tell it to permanently avoid a street or neighborhood for all future routings?

2) Is there a way to force a temporary detour or alternate routing around a piece of your currently calculated route you want to avoid?

My other items are enhancement suggestions rather than requests for clarification. I'll use the contact you supplied.

:cheers:

Hi Ken,

Questions one and two are closely related.

1. There isn't a way to permanently "avoid" a road. Once a route is selected it is always possible to avoid a street (in part or in total) via the turn list and selecting the avoid button but it isn't sticky in that it will return to the old route after the trip is over.

2. As noted above, you can avoid a part of a route and force a detour once the route is calculated. Additionally you can set a waypoint in your route that will take you around the area that you want to avoid.

Vetteman Jack 08-15-2014 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585414252)
there's no way I would order NAV from the factory, waste of money IMO considering a phone is always up to date and there are PORTABLE systems out there that goes into ANY car that are better for 1/3 the price.

I have been really happy with my Garmin, and I would really have to thing long and hard whether the factory Nav system would do any better while costing a lot more. But the fact the factory Nav will display in the HUD, which is an option I would want, is a plus.

talon90 08-16-2014 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1587606294)
I have been really happy with my Garmin, and I would really have to thing long and hard whether the factory Nav system would do any better while costing a lot more. But the fact the factory Nav will display in the HUD, which is an option I would want, is a plus.

The main advantages to the OEM system are that you get HUD display as well as instrument panel display of both a map segment and a turn by turn graphic with distance and street name. Additionally, with the OEM in the event of GPS signal loss (dense vegetation or tall buildings), the portables can loose signal but the OEM has a dead-reckoning capability where it will continue to advance your position on the map (and route) based on input from the vehicle sensors (throttle, steering wheel position sensor) and keep you able to navigate with reasonably good accuracy. In a city where you are trying to find a street, this can be valuable. Lastly, full integration with your cell phone address book via Bluetooth means that you always have the most up to date address information which can be directly accessed by the GPS so you don't have to type in where you want to go.

There are other features that to me, make the OEM unit a much better value but not everyone takes advantage of them. Otherwise, everyone needs to go with what they are comfortable with for sure. If you are happy with your Garmin and don't need any of the other features..."it ain't broke, don't fix it."

SASprof 08-16-2014 10:31 AM

Besides the OEM advantages that Paul lists, here are some others:

The large size of the OEM screen.
The fact that it's built-in.
No awkward mounting or dangling wires.
No repositioning each time.
No need to worry about battery life or charging.

Is the OEM nav perfect? Of course not, but neither is anything else. Is the Garmin or (insert manufacturer name here) "better"? Maybe. At least in some respects. But, IMO, when you look at the entire picture, not just a niche benefit of a particular unit, the OEM nav is a no-brainer. I would say that for any brand of vehicle, not just the Vette. But, as many have said, besides it's other advantages, the OEM HUD integration puts the Vette's nav way over the top.

Balthazar_B 08-16-2014 06:16 PM

If OEM electronics, including navigation, are very important to you, and you want something that won't disappoint every time you drive, it may be worth waiting for Chevy to build Android Auto into the Corvettes. I can only imagine how it will be to have ultra-fast, high quality NVIDIA graphics engines powering the screen and the HUD, coupled with the ability to use best-of-breed navigation, media, and other useful apps natively supported, for all intents and purposes, in a system worthy of the car around it.

rohard 08-16-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587591426)
I think all that we have going on is a misunderstanding over terms, a matter of semantics if you will.

There are two different systems in play here. First is the Chevrolet MyLink Infotainment system. This is where you use Pandora, this is where you would install apps and play audio. Second is the MyLink Navigation app. You keep saying that OnStar is required to make full use of the navigation system. Navigation is a separate system installed in the MyLink infotainment system. OnStar is no more required to use MyLink navigation than Pandora. Much like Navigation is not required to use MyLink Infotainment services.

Regarding the MyLink app shop, at this point I'm not even certain that there is going to be an app shop for the MyLink. I'm more inclined to believe that access to additional features will come in the form apps for the smartphone and access granted via the MyLink software.

The data plan will come from AT&T for the 2015 and will use OnStar's connection to the outside. Even the OnStar rep that you spoke with told you that OnStar services (paid subscription/account) will not be required to use the 4G LTE WiFi Hotspot. It sounds as if it will be managed by OnStar but services will be provided by AT&T. Signing up for this will be separate from OnStar and by virtue of having the Data plan, you still would have OnStar, nor will it be required.

This is why I keep stating that OnStar has nothing to do with the MyLink navigation app. OnStar turn by turn is not part of the navigation software. It is a service provided by OnStar as part of a subscription plan. You don't need navigation to use OnStar turn by turn and you don't need OnStar to use MyLink navigation. I will agree that with OnStar there is an additional feature of being able to import routes to the in-dash MyLink navigation system but it isn't required.

This has been a helpful thread, at least to me. Talon90 has given me a couple of “workaround’s” and pointers that have made the Infotainment/MyLink/Nav Systems work better for me (and I am sure many others). He has posted helpful video’s of his presentations, and indicated he will post the video he plans at the NCM on the nav system which I look forward to seeing.

Having said all that, I still have issues outstanding that I am disappointed that Chevrolet will not address, stating that the system is “operating as designed”. I still feel that my car has been made a digital orphan, as Chevrolet has put much more emphasis on moving OnStar technology onward and left the 2014’s with Pandora as far as internet applications go.

To expand my position on the point above, I think OnStar is integrated into MyLink/Nav system more than they want to admit. As I have stated before on the Forum and to GM, they have removed direct Coordinate input from the system (you have to use a computer to load a text file (for which instructions are useless, but the ones that Talon90 and others have posted apparently work) but OnStar can input them for you, just pay them and push the blue button. I can figure no reason for them to dump the 3 route overlay for route selection, while making OnStar Directions and Connections available to “help you out”. (You can get 3 routes, but you have to page multiple screens and painfully slow. They never overlay so you can see them together.) In short, in my mind, they have removed features we used to have to “encourage” OnStar subscription. In short, it is difficult to input a specific route in the existing navigation system, but easy if you go through OnStar. The old system, with coordinates and 3 route overlay’s worked better, IMO.

The input on Siri clarified my understanding of what to expect, and it is more than I originally understood to be available. Thank you Paul for the clarification.

Finally, in post 201, I hope that I am in the class of those folks who “….welcome the changes, welcome the challenges and invest in learning the nuances of the new technology.” However, I do not expect to have the new technology delete features that I had on earlier systems, and force me to either pay for a subscription based service or do without.

My remaining issues with the current system remain as follows:
1) System is agonizing slow. I can start the car, back out of the garage and be about a block from my house before I can input information. Even when I can, the system response time is very slow, it takes a long time to input information. (Voice recognition and larger screen are significantly better though.)
2) Features available on other Chevrolet competitors (like gas prices around where your car is, weather and traffic from your smart phone are missing. Some of these, as proprietary applications, are supposed to be available on 2015’s. (See earlier posts on Chevrolet AppShop.) This will require you to have a data plan through OnStar, but apparently not an OnStar subscription. Not sure how this will work w/o OnStar, but that is what is represented. Talon90 raises point in 3rd paragraph above that App shop for MyLink may not be available, but their web site continues to state that they are committed to it. I hope your inclination that “…access to additional features will come in the form apps for the smartphone and access granted via the MyLink software” that we can download with existing smartphones and data plans, but right now that is not what they are saying. (http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...m-appshop.html)
3) Our navigation system is linked to Sirius weather and traffic (either through the Sirius subscription or OnStar). If I follow Talon90’s discussion, it is through Sirius. Apparently no other option will be available to owners of 2014 Stingray’s.

Bottom line, I wish GM had spent their software dollars on making our systems integrate with the internet, and not though a 3rd party. The market will decide whether OnStar secedes or not, but it certainly appears they have gone down the wrong path to me. Coordination with the internet through a smartphone seems to be better thinking than pursuing a built in 90’s style cell phone type system. An example of how this business strategy hurts the consumer is that if Chevrolet had followed the path of it’s competitors of using our smartphones for the internet integration instead of their proprietary OnStar, our 2014’s could be updated with the new applications. Now we are true digital orphans, we don’t have 4GLTE access (our OnStar phones are the older 3G apparently), and are blocked from using our existing 4GLTE phones (and data plans) to update our applications as they come from the Chevrolet AppShop. Come on GM, patch our systems to use existing technology and hardware we already have.

talon90 08-16-2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by rohard (Post 1587611607)
This has been a helpful thread, at least to me. Talon90 has given me a couple of “workaround’s” and pointers that have made the Infotainment/MyLink/Nav Systems work better for me (and I am sure many others). He has posted helpful video’s of his presentations, and indicated he will post the video he plans at the NCM on the nav system which I look forward to seeing.

Having said all that, I still have issues outstanding that I am disappointed that Chevrolet will not address, stating that the system is “operating as designed”. I still feel that my car has been made a digital orphan, as Chevrolet has put much more emphasis on moving OnStar technology onward and left the 2014’s with Pandora as far as internet applications go.

To expand my position on the point above, I think OnStar is integrated into MyLink/Nav system more than they want to admit. As I have stated before on the Forum and to GM, they have removed direct Coordinate input from the system (you have to use a computer to load a text file (for which instructions are useless, but the ones that Talon90 and others have posted apparently work) but OnStar can input them for you, just pay them and push the blue button. I can figure no reason for them to dump the 3 route overlay for route selection, while making OnStar Directions and Connections available to “help you out”. (You can get 3 routes, but you have to page multiple screens and painfully slow. They never overlay so you can see them together.) In short, in my mind, they have removed features we used to have to “encourage” OnStar subscription. In short, it is difficult to input a specific route in the existing navigation system, but easy if you go through OnStar. The old system, with coordinates and 3 route overlay’s worked better, IMO.

The input on Siri clarified my understanding of what to expect, and it is more than I originally understood to be available. Thank you Paul for the clarification.

Finally, in post 201, I hope that I am in the class of those folks who “….welcome the changes, welcome the challenges and invest in learning the nuances of the new technology.” However, I do not expect to have the new technology delete features that I had on earlier systems, and force me to either pay for a subscription based service or do without.

My remaining issues with the current system remain as follows:
1) System is agonizing slow. I can start the car, back out of the garage and be about a block from my house before I can input information. Even when I can, the system response time is very slow, it takes a long time to input information. (Voice recognition and larger screen are significantly better though.)
2) Features available on other Chevrolet competitors (like gas prices around where your car is, weather and traffic from your smart phone are missing. Some of these, as proprietary applications, are supposed to be available on 2015’s. (See earlier posts on Chevrolet AppShop.) This will require you to have a data plan through OnStar, but apparently not an OnStar subscription. Not sure how this will work w/o OnStar, but that is what is represented. Talon90 raises point in 3rd paragraph above that App shop for MyLink may not be available, but their web site continues to state that they are committed to it. I hope your inclination that “…access to additional features will come in the form apps for the smartphone and access granted via the MyLink software” that we can download with existing smartphones and data plans, but right now that is not what they are saying. (http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...m-appshop.html)
3) Our navigation system is linked to Sirius weather and traffic (either through the Sirius subscription or OnStar). If I follow Talon90’s discussion, it is through Sirius. Apparently no other option will be available to owners of 2014 Stingray’s.

Bottom line, I wish GM had spent their software dollars on making our systems integrate with the internet, and not though a 3rd party. The market will decide whether OnStar secedes or not, but it certainly appears they have gone down the wrong path to me. Coordination with the internet through a smartphone seems to be better thinking than pursuing a built in 90’s style cell phone type system. An example of how this business strategy hurts the consumer is that if Chevrolet had followed the path of it’s competitors of using our smartphones for the internet integration instead of their proprietary OnStar, our 2014’s could be updated with the new applications. Now we are true digital orphans, we don’t have 4GLTE access (our OnStar phones are the older 3G apparently), and are blocked from using our existing 4GLTE phones (and data plans) to update our applications as they come from the Chevrolet AppShop. Come on GM, patch our systems to use existing technology and hardware we already have.

For item 2 above, your Stingray has fuel prices. Bring up any gas station in the POI list (click the individual station) and it will display their last reported price per gallon. Much the same if you bring up movie theaters, it will give you movies playing and scheduled show times.

These are also linked to XM Travel services. While these are not part of the music subscription, they are a separate, smaller fee based aspect to the system.

rohard 08-16-2014 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587611643)
These are also linked to XM Travel services. While these are not part of the music subscription, they are a separate, smaller fee based aspect to the system.

Thanks. You can get these services w/o active radio (audio), $8.99/month or $99.89/year. If you don't have audio, have to purchase by year. Couldn't find cost till Talon90 told me what service was called.

SASprof 08-17-2014 01:12 AM

I would never use XM for music because of the inane DJ chatter. Pandora works for me, as it is pure music, no talk. The one XM service that would interest me is traffic, which appears on the nav. I assume that goes away in 6 months, without a subscription? What is the cost for traffic?

talon90 08-17-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by SASprof (Post 1587613919)
I would never use XM for music because of the inane DJ chatter. Pandora works for me, as it is pure music, no talk. The one XM service that would interest me is traffic, which appears on the nav. I assume that goes away in 6 months, without a subscription? What is the cost for traffic?

http://www.siriusxm.com/infotainment/pricing

SASprof 08-17-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1587614467)

Thanks, Paul. 1 year free. After that, NavTraffic only $4/month. Cheaper for multi years.

SASprof 08-17-2014 07:10 PM

My C6 nav displayed the current street at the bottom of the screen.
Is there an option to display that on the C7 nav?

The C7 nav indicates the next turn street in faint letters at the top of the screen under the NSEW indicator instead of in the more logical next turn box on the right. Is there an option to change that?

talon90 08-17-2014 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SASprof (Post 1587618463)
My C6 nav displayed the current street at the bottom of the screen.
Is there an option to display that on the C7 nav?

The C7 nav indicates the next turn street in faint letters at the top of the screen under the NSEW indicator instead of in the more logical next turn box on the right. Is there an option to change that?

Hi Jim,

In both cases you are experiencing the default behavior. The C7 nav display when zoomed in will show the street names so it isn't added to the panel at the bottom like the C6 had. For the next turn box, it was elected to make it a separate function by pressing the navigation box (where the ETA, ETE and miles can be displayed). You can observe the turn list in order with mileage here with a tap of the screen. It keeps the clutter off the screen. This will be the equivalent of one of the split screen modes with turn list and map view that the C6 had.

SASprof 08-17-2014 09:24 PM

Thanks, Paul. The C7 automatically varies the zoom as you approach the next turn. Is there a way to turn that off?

dbdave 08-17-2014 10:59 PM

Paul, just wondering if the one hour session you're doing at the 20th is going to be long enough. Is there a possibility of more time, more sessions? Maybe half a day?

From just what's on here it looks like it will be a popular one to attend and will help quite a few owners. :thumbs:

aj98 08-18-2014 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by SASprof (Post 1587619427)
Thanks, Paul. The C7 automatically varies the zoom as you approach the next turn. Is there a way to turn that off?

I actually like that feature. Especially useful when there are several turns closely spaced - in that aspect, the C7 Nav does a much better job than my tomtom indicating whihc if those is correct.

(for example, there are a couple roads in this area with an on ramp with three turn offs on the ramp, with all 3 turn offs spaced within less than 75 yards. The green countdown bar/arrow on the C7 is spot on, the TomTom isn't.)

Rob 99 08-18-2014 12:08 PM

[/Quote]Will you be coming to my seminar at the NCM the end of the month?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not, family vacation in FL.

Mike Campbell 08-18-2014 12:48 PM

Well I had not planned on getting Nav but when I wnet to order my car on a Friday my dealer said he ordered the same car that Tuesday except it had Nav. I told him I didn't want it so he said he wouldn't charge me for it. :woohoo: Anyway, I like it better than my Garmin GPS which is only 2 years old. The only problem I had was figuring out how to turn the damn thing off. :rofl:

Ching Ho 08-18-2014 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SASprof (Post 1587613919)

XM TRAFFIC DOESNT WORK. I run it on my DD next to Google Maps via iPhone. Google Maps is always the faster route (around NYC/NJ where traffic can double one route's time versus another).

talon90 08-18-2014 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SASprof (Post 1587619427)

Jim, no way to change that. As another poster had noted, I kind of like it only because it is much easier to discern where my turn is coming up at the higher magnification.