CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Dealing Begins!!! Sooner than expected? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3371404-dealing-begins-sooner-than-expected.html)

Glen e 11-09-2013 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by bevo_87 (Post 1585391597)
Glen, don't fall into the trap. i am not talking about starting a dealership, i am not talking of being able to do a website now. I am talking about futuristic stuff that the other guy cannot understand. This discussion has gotten so far off topic it is ridiculous. i get what dealers do and don't do. you guys are taking me way too literal. The point is, dealer sales people are basically a necessary evil in that they are really not necessary. Eventually it will catch up to them just like other brick and mortar businesses. I think you bought your car online from a non local dealer didn't you? So, you basically see the same thing i am saying.

yeah but it was still a brick and mortar dealer that sold things when no one else would..(c6's) in another 6 months, he's gonna be slugging it out just like the rest of the network. You can't chrry pick, the market condition right now is very unique like an eclipse that only comes every 7 years and lasts an eyeblink. The it's back to normal. Car dealers are not like blockbuster, durable goods need to be stocked, washed maintained and serviced, that requires dealers.

bevo_87 11-09-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585391641)
yeah but it was still a brick and mortar dealer that sold things when no one else would..(c6's) in another 6 months, he's gonna be slugging it out just like the rest of the network. You can't chrry pick, the market condition right now is very unique like an eclipse that only comes every 7 years and lasts an eyeblink. The it's back to normal. Car dealers are not like blockbuster, durable goods need to be stocked, washed maintained and serviced, that requires dealers.

i get that it is a brick and mortar. i am just saying that local dealers who are not playing the deal game are going to struggle because we (all of us) have options all across the US. that was my point. I did not get a deal on a washer and dryer for my house locally and bought it from online and had it shipped. Saved about $500. Same with my Weber Grill, 70 inch TV. Best Buy is going to be gone too. They already started reducing stores. The purchase of a vehicle should be just as easy to buy online and eventually i bet it does.. That is my point that the other guy cannot seem to understand.

Glen e 11-09-2013 11:07 PM

Every dealer has a BDC now (Business Development Center= internet) I just taught a dealer class in Knoxville this week for BMW. Of the 15 people in the room, 4 were internet staff and could handle the deal from beginning to end, from the email to delivery - no salesman involved. Dealers are getting it.

Mike O'Daniel 11-09-2013 11:08 PM

Who gives a sh** about car dealers or whether or not there's added value by having salesmen? What we have are too many lawyers and not enough people making sh**. So Bevo, quit sitting around like Beavis and Butthead playing make believe. What if, what if, what if? What if my grandma grew gonads...would she be my grandpa?

Vetteman Jack 11-09-2013 11:09 PM

Congrats to the OP on making a deal you feel comfortable with. Bet you can't wait to get your C7.

bevo_87 11-09-2013 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel (Post 1585391711)
Who gives a sh** about car dealers or whether or not there's added value by having salesmen? What we have are too many lawyers and not enough people making sh**. So Bevo, quit sitting around like Beavis and Butthead playing make believe. What if, what if, what if? What if my grandma grew gonads...would she be my grandpa?

very enlightening post. you need a snickers bar.lol and you grandma having gonads has nothing to do with this. There is probably another forum that can help you. Plus just because your grandma has gonads does not necessarily mean she would be your grandpa. Could be that she/he, still wants to be grandma. Welcome to 2013....lol

jackhall99 11-10-2013 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel (Post 1585391711)

:iagree:

The 'whiz' keeps editing. For me, one more for my ignore list. What every four week CF member should strive for! :cheers:

C7GrandSport 11-10-2013 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by bevo_87 (Post 1585391096)
a lot of things have changed since i have been in diapers.

Your naivety suggests something otherwise about those diapers.

In your utopian world of website car sales, how do you test drive a car? Judge the comfort of the seats? Examine fit and finish? Feel how solid the doors are when you close them? See colors in person vs. on a monitor? Who appraises your trade sight unseen?

Like it or not, you still need brick and mortar and, gasp, salespeople.

lt4obsesses 11-10-2013 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1585380450)
There are some on this forum that believe that a $5,000 markup, instead of a $10,000 markup is a great deal, and that a 5 month wait, instead of a 6 month wait to get the car is a great deal.

I bet you are able to negotiate $2,000-$3,000 off MSRP, at a minimum.

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1585382035)
It must be a terrible burden for you, that someone might hold a belief that doesn't coincide with yours. I suppose you could either be tolerant and understanding, or you could ridicule them on a public forum.

I've heard it says a lot about the character of a person as to which they choose . . . . .

Joe's alright, he's just tellin it like he sees it. He's not completely wrong either. They way I look at it is, if someone really wants the car now, and is in a position to pay over, well, it's their money. Nothing really bad about that.

However, why not try a little negotiation? Certainly no harm in trying to work the best deal for yourself. It is only going to come down one of three options, you cave, the dealer caves, or you get it later at your price.

Tony007 11-10-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by SilverDevil (Post 1585392301)
? Who appraises your trade sight unseen?

Wes Milby @Reliable. That's who.. Traded two in to him, sight unseen, against my 10 ZR1.

HLH 11-10-2013 07:28 AM

Let's get this thread back on track about C7 experiences and information, not about non C7 dealer talk and face shots.

2 Ag R8Cs 11-10-2013 07:44 AM

I would gladly pay $10,000 over if it meant I could get the car in a few days. But I would only do it if the doctors told me I would probably be dead before the first payment was due.

I am ordering a new C-7 and in the unusual situation where I would rather have the car right away but the longer it takes the happier I will be. I have a year to go on my Volt lease and the longer it takes for the C-7 the less time I have to make payments on two vehicles.

Some people have enough money that and extra $10,000 is not a big deal. As far as I am concerned the are a lot of guns I want to buy and the extra $10,000 I did not pay for the car can buy me other things I want.

Larry/car 11-10-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1585389754)
I know you paid "MSRP" wink, wink, but how much over the normal price a used car lot would give you for your C6, did he go for? If it's private, I fully understand.

:thumbs: I will not disclose actual figures, what I will tell is: I was working a deal on purchasing a left over 2012 GS convertible. After a $6,500 rebate the sale price was virtually identical to the C7 convertible that I am in the process of purchasing. The trade-in allowance is again identical, out money including taxes etc., within dollars. The C7 deal is way better, the 2012 is two model years old already. C7= LT1 more power, new improved frame/suspension, electronics, improvements to numerous to mention. The retail selling price of a pristine C6 coupe at high end dealers $34,900. I didn't get that much, but! What I hate is,:( I got to give up my C6 before the new car is even built. Still have my C4 convertible though, going to sell this 10,000 mile car this spring. Eight cars is just too many!

C7GrandSport 11-10-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tony007 (Post 1585392570)
Wes Milby @Reliable. That's who.. Traded two in to him, sight unseen, against my 10 ZR1.

That's a brick and mortar dealership that can write "subject to physical appraisal" on the buyer's order to protect themselves until they actually appraise the vehicle when you pick up the new one. Guaranteed they ran a CarFax before you showed up and looked the car over before the paperwork was completed.

I'm talking about this notion that you can click some buttons on your keyboard and have a car show up at your doorstep with no interaction from a dealership. Trade-in has to be physically appraised by somebody.

JoesC5 11-10-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1585392891)
:thumbs: I will not disclose actual figures, what I will tell is: I was working a deal on purchasing a left over 2012 GS convertible. After a $6,500 rebate the sale price was virtually identical to the C7 convertible that I am in the process of purchasing. The trade-in allowance is again identical, out money including taxes etc., within dollars. The C7 deal is way better, the 2012 is two model years old already. C7= LT1 more power, new improved frame/suspension, electronics, improvements to numerous to mention. The retail selling price of a pristine C6 coupe at high end dealers $34,900. I didn't get that much, but! What I hate is,:( I got to give up my C6 before the new car is even built. Still have my C4 convertible though, going to sell this 10,000 mile car this spring. Eight cars is just too many!

Getting into a new C7 convertible for the same price as getting into a left over 2012 GS convertible is a very good deal. :cheers:

KenHorse 11-10-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1585392891)
What I hate is,:( I got to give up my C6 before the new car is even built. Still have my C4 convertible though, going to sell this 10,000 mile car this spring. Eight cars is just too many!

I'm in the same boat - sold my C6 last week and have a C7 on order through a forum vendor ($3K below MSRP though!).

My wife has a ZO6 so at least I'm not forced to drive our beater Dodge 4X4 all the time while I wait :lol:

Tonylmiller 11-10-2013 02:00 PM

Some people want a great car. Some people want a great price. Some people want both. You might have to wait if you want both. Personally I think the car is a bargain at MSRP.

Buy what you want.

bevo_87 11-10-2013 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1585392058)
:iagree:

The 'whiz' keeps editing. For me, one more for my ignore list. What every four week CF member should strive for! :cheers:

i edit because i need to write it in a form you "might" understand...lol:smash:

bevo_87 11-10-2013 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SilverDevil (Post 1585392301)
Your naivety suggests something otherwise about those diapers.

In your utopian world of website car sales, how do you test drive a car? Judge the comfort of the seats? Examine fit and finish? Feel how solid the doors are when you close them? See colors in person vs. on a monitor? Who appraises your trade sight unseen?

Like it or not, you still need brick and mortar and, gasp, salespeople.

Ok, so where did you actually "test drive" a C7 before you bought it? Oh, you didn't, huh.. But, but, i thought you need a dealer to test drive before you buy...lol C'mon man, you guys sound ridiculous.

jimb100 11-10-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bevo_87 (Post 1585395567)
Ok, so where did you actually "test drive" a C7 before you bought it? Oh, you didn't, huh.. But, but, i thought you need a dealer to test drive before you buy...lol C'mon man, you guys sound ridiculous.

New Corvette comes around about every 8 years and is in short supply for 6 months. Then things return to normal.

You don't build a business model on a temporary situation. Cars are not washing machines or cameras or an Xbox.