CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3365606-paint-runs-on-doors-the-rest-of-the-story-from-pickup-to-re-delivery.html)

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585390784)
Shouldn't that be "you're" Einstein?:lol::lol::lol:

Yes MR Hawking.:lol:

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585390804)
Then you initially leave out the word "be!" :rofl: Can I have my thread back? :lol: :cheers:

(Then I saw that you went back and fixed it...but now the cat's out of the bag! :D)

Not much of a cat. That was a typo...not an ignorant mistake...and at least I had the brains to fix it!! Take your (proper use of the word "your") thread back. You're (proper use of the word "you're) welcome to it.

BTW, I hope your car comes back in perfect condition. I'm sure it will with all the eyes that GM knows are on this. You'll probably have the best C7 yet built.:thumbs:

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585390833)
Yes MR Hawking.:lol:

Thanks for compliment, Sheldon. :willy:

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1585390534)
Except that report came out in June. The C7 hadn't been released yet.
THIS forum is where I will get most of my information as to quality, fit and finish, GM response to issues etc. And so far, my decision to NOT buy the first MY has worked out to be a good decision on my part. But I am not going to say I am not going to buy a C7 at this point. I am willing to wait and see if GM will get this car right, and I hope it does because I love vettes and love the community. The Porsche community isn't nearly as fun as a corvette community.

So to the folks that are posting issues they have with the C7, keep up the reporting. Hold GM's feet to the fire. Let's get the car we want, the car GM needs to produce for the faithful.

I agree with you, and GM must to do better, but can we at least acknowledge that many C7's are being delivered without problems? That would help to get an accurate picture of the true size of the problems. We need all the information, good and bad, including the cars the C7 is being compared to.

NospdLimit 11-09-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Garret (Post 1585370963)
I can already see where this is going. You will get the car back and the fender will not match the door or the hood or something. If you have ever been in the C6 section you will no doubt know what I'm talking about. It sounds like your car should have never even left the plant. Way to go BG inspectors....

I hope it all works out in a positive way for you the first time.

:iagree:
I was going to comment the same thing! It would be better for them to try and repaint than to slap new panels on it that will not match!

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585390968)
I agree with you, and GM must to do better, but can we at least acknowledge that many C7's are being delivered without problems? That would help to get an accurate picture of the true size of the problems. We need all the information, good and bad, including the cars the C7 is being compared to.

I certainly hope many C7's are being delivered without problems, but after looking closely at 11 cars, with every single one having issues, I wonder if many of the buyers may not be so critical of the panel fitments or orange peel as some of us on this forum. After closely looking at these fitments, I really think there are parts that do not fit well do to improper measurements, casting, or molding. These flaws are not simple adjustments....at least not from what I've seen. These cars remind me of the panel alignment on my '79 L-82. I would like nothing better to find out that the 11 cars I saw are an aberration. I also wish Elvis were still alive.

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585391053)
I certainly hope many C7's are being delivered without problems, but after looking closely at 11 cars, with every single one having issues, I wonder if many of the buyers may not be so critical of the panel fitments or orange peel as some of us on this forum. After closely looking at these fitments, I really think there are parts that do not fit well do to improper measurements, casting, or molding. These flaws are not simple adjustments....at least not from what I've seen. These cars remind me of the panel alignment on my '79 L-82. I would like nothing better to find out that the 11 cars I saw are an aberration. I also wish Elvis were still alive.

I have seen two C7's, both very recently, one at an auto show, it looked really good, but there were so many people around the car it was hard to judge the quality. The other was an unsold yellow 3 LT non Z51 at a dealership. It was a sunny day, parked outside, I took a lot of time going around and around the car, the orange peel was minimal and the panel fit was excellent. My biggest problem was with the salesman, wouldn't let anyone sit in it and had a smug attitude. Then there was the $10K markup, I thanked him for his time and moved on. I think the cars can and will be fixed, the dealerships are the real problem, IMO.

Joe B. 11-09-2013 09:52 PM

Statement from the J. D. Power report.

But she said several of the cars that scored particularly well on the quality survey are in their final year before a major redesign, including the Cadillac Esclade, Chevy Tahoe GMC Silverado and GMC Sierra. The new Chevy Impala is already out, but the survey was on the previous model.
Redesigned vehicles are important for building sales, but they can introduce new quality problems.

"It'll be important for them to launch their replacements well or they'll lose their No. 1 spot," she said.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-09-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585390906)
Not much of a cat. That was a typo...not an ignorant mistake...and at least I had the brains to fix it!! Take your (proper use of the word "your") thread back. You're (proper use of the word "you're) welcome to it.

BTW, I hope your car comes back in perfect condition. I'm sure it will with all the eyes that GM knows are on this. You'll probably have the best C7 yet built.:thumbs:

I think you know this, but I was just joking with you. And your brain worked quickly, I noticed. :lol: :thumbs:

Thanks for the well wishes! I really miss my C7 and can't wait for her steering wheel to be back in the clutches of my hands! :woohoo:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-09-2013 09:59 PM

After reading about the C7s several of you have seen personally, I just realized that I haven't seen a C7 besides mine since I was at Carlisle this year! Even my local dealership hasn't received their first C7 yet (but on Friday they did say it was at the rail yard).

Michael A 11-10-2013 01:08 AM

:iagree: I am happy for the people who are happy with the quality. However, they don't represent the potential buying pool. They are Corvette enthusiasts. I am already hearing from people who have seen the C7 who are not Corvette enthusiasts, and, unsolicited, the first thing they mention is the amount of orange peel. Next it's the fit. These are not people who go to Corvette Forum, and are clued into the quality problems. The car is already getting a bad reputation for quality, and, it's only been out a month!

This quality level might work in Detroit, but it isn't going to fly here in California with all the high end European and Japanese cars around here. People have higher standards.

They need to turn this around NOW!

Michael

VETTE-NV 11-10-2013 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585392244)
:iagree: I am happy for the people who are happy with the quality. However, they don't represent the potential buying pool. They are Corvette enthusiasts. I am already hearing from people who have seen the C7 who are not Corvette enthusiasts, and, unsolicited, the first thing they mention is the amount of orange peel. Next it's the fit. These are not people who go to Corvette Forum, and are clued into the quality problems. The car is already getting a bad reputation for quality, and, it's only been out a month!

This quality level might work in Detroit, but it isn't going to fly here in California with all the high end European and Japanese cars around here. People have higher standards.

They need to turn this around NOW!

Michael

Yes they do! :rock:

It seems as if most of the panel problems are associated with the front and rear fascias. I may be wrong, but isn't the company who produces these pieces the same company (Omega?) that released their self-promotion video that leaked the images long before the C7 reveal? Perhaps this is now a second reason for GM to be pissed off at them.
:yesnod:

bikevette 11-10-2013 02:37 AM

Paint issue caused by?

OK, standing by for incoming, but here it goes....

I've put in an order for a 2015. I'm a motorcycle guy, that has never owned a car faster than a pickup truck, (58 y/o), but my lifelong love of the Vette finally gave way. After reading about all the problems with "version 1.0", decided to wait for the bugs to get worked out, although a delay until next fall will be a long one.
So now for the sticky part. I swore after multiple bad experiences with American cars, I'd never buy anything else again other than a Toyota.
So much for that. But I sincerely believe - regarding the union assy. workers - that an entitlement mentality, complete lack of work ethic, and an "I'll get even with that SOB boss" and mess up a car on the assembly line is going to be the cause of a lot of problems, Corvette to minivan, matters not.
I've been in the AFL/CIO for 19 years, (airline pilot) so I know of what I speak. (No one sabotaging airplanes, but the attitudes are vile, base, naive, and class warfare riven.) If I have to bring the car back multiple times, so be it. My choice and I accept the risk.
PBS, not an anti-union outfit by any stretch of the imagination, showed a typical union shop employee in the paint shop, and she looked like she should have been pushing a shopping cart down skid row. Probably too long between her 5th and 6th coffee break.
It is what it is.

Guibo 11-10-2013 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by BERETTA (Post 1585383610)
Me too, I took a few photos at the museum but I don't have any good close ups like you have, I don't remember seeing any kind of issues like the ones in the photos you posted :ack:
The rear looks to fit very nicely here...

This is the key here. If you had close ups, or were paying attention specifically to the known problem areas, you'd see them as they are evident even on the pictures you posted.
http://s24.postimg.org/lpmoyh8wx/31_1.jpg

No, that's not a very nice fit on that rear.
http://s7.postimg.org/rez68w22j/31_2.jpg

I certainly hope many C7's are being delivered without problems, but after looking closely at 11 cars, with every single one having issues, I wonder if many of the buyers may not be so critical of the panel fitments or orange peel as some of us on this forum.

:yesnod: We're seeing that phenomenon in evidence in this very thread.

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585391179)
I have seen two C7's, both very recently, one at an auto show, it looked really good, but there were so many people around the car it was hard to judge the quality.

Which auto show was that? (You can PM me the answer if you don't want to say here.) And as I posted in the other thread, the yellow non-Z51 car doing the auto show rounds has both panel fit problems and orange peel (the ZL1 sharing the stage had no panel fit problems and hardly any orange peel at all). So did many of the cars at Carlisle. If you want a truly random sampling of cars, and not the "he said, he said" debate (in which VETTE-NV has done more than just talked and already posted pictures as evidence of his assertion), check the ones on ebay. I did that last week, and out of 25 cars for which somewhat decent pics were provided (all of them were low-res), these panel fit problems were evident on 23 of them, some of which also had other issues with paint or interior trim misalignment.
This is not about "taking the Corvette down a notch" at all. It's about recognizing that there are problems that are generally not seen as a whole on other cars, many of which cost far, far less. It's about voicing these concerns in light of GM's promise of delivering world-class quality, "meticulous selection and exacting placement of materials," their whole "Precision" tag line. When you adopt the "they're all like that" mentality, as you've done in multiple threads now, or shout down people like you've done here, it makes it less likely that others who have these problems will voice their concerns because, if they listen to you, they'll think all cars are like this. All cars most certainly are not.

VETTE-NV 11-10-2013 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585392425)
This is the key here. If you had close ups, or were paying attention specifically to the known problem areas, you'd see them as they are evident even on the pictures you posted.
http://s24.postimg.org/lpmoyh8wx/31_1.jpg

No, that's not a very nice fit on that rear.
http://s7.postimg.org/rez68w22j/31_2.jpg

:yesnod: We're seeing that phenomenon in evidence in this very thread.

Which auto show was that? (You can PM me the answer if you don't want to say here.) And as I posted in the other thread, the yellow non-Z51 car doing the auto show rounds has both panel fit problems and orange peel (the ZL1 sharing the stage had no panel fit problems and hardly any orange peel at all). So did many of the cars at Carlisle. If you want a truly random sampling of cars, and not the "he said, he said" debate (in which VETTE-NV has done more than just talked and already posted pictures as evidence of his assertion), check the ones on ebay. I did that last week, and out of 25 cars for which somewhat decent pics were provided (all of them were low-res), these panel fit problems were evident on 23 of them, some of which also had other issues with paint or interior trim misalignment.
This is not about "taking the Corvette down a notch" at all. It's about recognizing that there are problems that are generally not seen as a whole on other cars, many of which cost far, far less. It's about voicing these concerns in light of GM's promise of delivering world-class quality, "meticulous selection and exacting placement of materials," their whole "Precision" tag line. When you adopt the "they're all like that" mentality, as you've done in multiple threads now, or shout down people like you've done here, it makes it less likely that others who have these problems will voice their concerns because, if they listen to you, they'll think all cars are like this. All cars most certainly are not.

:iagree:The edge of the rear fascia protruding about 1/8" into the wheel well (red car above) has been present on every C7 I've seen....and it's not misaligned at the top where it joins the body. These pieces simply do not match the corresponding body panel against which they join. The part either needs to be remolded or each one trimmed before being painted. It's even more obvious in the photo of the white car I posted earlier in the thread. Just ridiculous.....and that's just one problem area.

Hirohawa 11-10-2013 04:10 AM

As much as I don't enjoy agreeing with Guibo the rear panel does seem to be a real problem area

There seems to be many fitment/alignment issues with the rear.

From another thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...103_131851.jpg

Totally unacceptable.

Not only is the bottom noticeably lower in the first pic but see the surface variation on the second pic. Metallic colors will really show this off too unfortunately. It looks like a repaint as the light refracts differently even though it should be the same. Reminds me of the surface variations on the C5 rear bumper as the transition to fiberglass to Urethane never quite mated smoothly.

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports (Post 1585315695)
Updated pic with the correct tires, lowered and a little better lighting.

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...e_shot%7E3.jpg

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb..._rear_shot.jpg

Hirohawa 11-10-2013 04:15 AM

Wow just went back a few pages. It looks like this is a major screw up. Are the bumpers really too long or is it just a fitment issue.

Can't believe they are delivering cars like this.

Just one more reason to redesign the rear end I guess.

VETTE-NV 11-10-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585392473)
Wow just went back a few pages. It looks like this is a major screw up. Are the bumpers really too long or is it just a fitment issue.

Can't believe they are delivering cars like this.

Just one more reason to redesign the rear end I guess.

I really think they are too long. Look at the pic of the grey car above. Even in the wide shot you can see the bumper is TOO LONG. Is this a damned kit car?? Some engineer/programmer either got the numbers wrong or did not account for shrinkage....or some such mistake. This is a ridiculous flaw in this age of digital precision, technology, and manufacturing.

I went to a few car dealers today (Porsche, Aston Martin, Mercedes, BMW) to size up my other possible options if the quality of the C7 does not improve. These cars are more expensive than the Vette, of course, but I could not find one misaligned panel and very little, if any orange peel. The more I see of the C7, the less I'm inclined to spend $70K for such poor workmanship.

C'mon GM.....get your act together so I can give YOU my money.

svtkeith 11-10-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585397644)
I really think they are too long. Look at the pic of the grey car above. Even in the wide shot you can see the bumper is TOO LONG. Is this a damned kit car?? Some engineer/programmer either got the numbers wrong or did not account for shrinkage....or some such mistake. This is a ridiculous flaw in this age of digital precision, technology, and manufacturing.

I went to a few car dealers today (Porsche, Aston Martin, Mercedes, BMW) to size up my other possible options if the quality of the C7 does not improve. These cars are more expensive than the Vette, of course, but I could not find one misaligned panel and very little, if any orange peel. The more I see of the C7, the less I'm inclined to spend $70K for such poor workmanship.

That's what has to happen here is people stop buying the cars like this when they can't sell them I'll bet they'll fix the problem real quick!!..I agree this is not acceptable not only in Cali but in North America period.

DREAMERAK 11-10-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585397644)

The Jaguar F type V8S Coupe will be debuting soon. a well equipped one should be around 95k much less than a P or of course AM.