CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3365606-paint-runs-on-doors-the-rest-of-the-story-from-pickup-to-re-delivery.html)

Shrike6 11-04-2013 04:43 PM

Any news yet?:lurk:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-04-2013 06:47 PM

Nothing yet...except that it is there and in process. Thanks for asking. :thumbs:

Dusty Starbucks 11-04-2013 07:23 PM

I just want to congratulate you on what you are doing. I haven't bought mine yet, but your effort to see this one through is going to get some level of attention back at the plant. that will help all those that follow. Very much appreciated! :cheers:

OnPoint 11-04-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks (Post 1585347530)
I just want to congratulate you on what you are doing. I haven't bought mine yet, but your effort to see this one through is going to get some level of attention back at the plant. that will help all those that follow. Very much appreciated! :cheers:

:iagree:

I hope it brings needed scrutiny to future built C7s.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-04-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks (Post 1585347530)

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1585347737)

I hope it brings needed scrutiny to future built C7s.

Thanks, and you're welcome! :cheers:

I guarantee you this...no one is happy with any of the issues my car came out of the plant with. I know this is not something anyone associated with Corvette manufacturing wanted to happen. And I'm sure there have already been assessments and changes as a result. They really do want every single C7 to come out of the plant as close to perfect as humanly (and robotically for that matter) as possible. I can't wait to see how good mine is going to look when I get her back! :thumbs:

MThomas 11-04-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585347801)

I guarantee you this...no one is happy with any of the issues my car came out of the plant with. I know this is not something anyone associated with Corvette manufacturing wanted to happen. And I'm sure there have already been assessments and changes as a result. They really do want every single C7 to come out of the plant as close to perfect as humanly (and robotically for that matter) as possible. I can't wait to see how good mine is going to look when I get her back! :thumbs:

I'm sure your car will be perfect.

dealtimeman 11-04-2013 10:44 PM

I as well am pretty sure your car will come back absolutely perfect and probably the best fit and finish of any other c7 out there.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-04-2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by MThomas (Post 1585349161)
I'm sure your car will be perfect.

Originally Posted by dealtimeman (Post 1585349549)
I as well am pretty sure your car will come back absolutely perfect and probably the best fit and finish of any other c7 out there.

I'm looking forward to this likelihood! :thumbs:

Dusty Starbucks 11-05-2013 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585349894)
I'm looking forward to this likelihood! :thumbs:

Truly, I hope that they do your car perfectly right. My hat's off to you my friend!

canadianz51owner 11-05-2013 02:07 AM

I hope mine doesnt come like that. Long haul back to the plant from Alberta Canada.

Rob 99 11-05-2013 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by #1c6 (Post 1585292439)
if bowling green was doing the right thing the car would had never left the plant!!

i guess the paint dept didn't get a large share of the $131 Million upgrade money. :crazy2:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-05-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by canadianz51owner (Post 1585350541)
I hope mine doesnt come like that. Long haul back to the plant from Alberta Canada.

Most likely, it will be just fine. I'm VIN 1786 and VIN 1787 is also VY and a forum member and his paint is perfect. Best wishes to you!

svtkeith 11-05-2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585347801)

So glad to hear that GM is fixing this issue for you jagama..:thumbs: and so glad you didn't accept this and complained now GM might correct the issue at the factory and no one has to go through this again.

96GS#007 11-05-2013 10:39 AM

I'll bet they're going to pull all (or nearly all) of the body panels off and either replace them or strip them and repaint them. Should be easy at the factory since they got all the right tools for disassemly/re-assembly. It'll be good as new. :thumbs: It'd be great if they gave you some pics of the process!

My apologies if this was stated....I was too lazy to read 4 pages :D

Jesse 11-05-2013 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1585297423)
This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.

At $60,000+ these type mistakes shoud not happen!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585297529)

His car will come back PERFECT, guaranteed. ;)

As those who purchase these cars at $60,000+ shouldn't we expect that before it leaves QC at the factory? I say, yes!

Originally Posted by craig04c5 (Post 1585297588)
I am happy you are getting these issues resolved. Good for GM for doing the right thing.

Good for them? How about, no choice in the matter?

Sorry all, but, while I'm happy that the OP is satisfied, it still comes down to QC releasing a car with paint issues a blind man could see :toetap:

So, while some of you are praising GM for stepping up and doing the right thing, the bottom line is such blatant flaws should never have left the plant, period!

People seem to forget when GM is hugging them and saying, "don't worry we'll make it right," that WE spent $60,000+ on their C7 Vette and we shouldn't have to deal with such obvious problems.

To me, these paint flaws being overlooked in QC at the plant is no different then loading the C7 up for delivery with a missing hood, wheels or engine.

Quality control is just that, and clearly, many of those in that Department aren't doing their job :nono:

No C7 owner should have to wait months for their vehicle only to watch it towed back to BG for obvious paint flaws.

If we keep accepting Corvettes that have such problems once GM plays nice with us, it will NEVER solve the problem which is, don't deliver a car with such poor quality, because we shouldn't have to send it back. We have a right to demand better unless GM is giving us the cars for free.

I understand the old saying, "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade," well guess what, I hate lemons, and at $60,000+ I don't want any :nonod:

While I appreciate some of you looking at the glass as half full, to me, the glass is empty, and there's no excuse.

So, in the end, GM will make it right and the OP will be happy :thumbs: :cheers: but, we shouldn't just take the candy GM offers and just walk away quietly.

That's my $0.02.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-05-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cor08vette (Post 1585352616)
At $60,000+ these type mistakes shoud not happen!

As those who purchase these cars at $60,000+ shouldn't we expect that before it leaves QC at the factory? I say, yes!

Good for them? How about, no choice in the matter?

Sorry all, but, while I'm happy that the OP is satisfied, it still comes down to QC releasing a car with paint issues a blind man could see :toetap:

So, while some of you are praising GM for stepping up and doing the right thing, the bottom line is such blatant flaws should never have left the plant, period!

People seem to forget when GM is hugging them and saying, "don't worry we'll make it right," that WE spent $60,000+ on their C7 Vette and we shouldn't have to deal with such obvious problems.

To me, these paint flaws being overlooked in QC at the plant is no different then loading the C7 up for delivery with a missing hood, wheels or engine.

Quality control is just that, and clearly, many of those in that Department aren't doing their job :nono:

No C7 owner should have to wait months for their vehicle only to watch it towed back to BG for obvious paint flaws.

If we keep accepting Corvettes that have such problems once GM plays nice with us, it will NEVER solve the problem which is, don't deliver a car with such poor quality, because we shouldn't have to send it back. We have a right to demand better unless GM is giving us the cars for free.

I understand the old saying, "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade," well guess what, I hate lemons, and at $60,000+ I don't want any :nonod:

While I appreciate some of you looking at the glass as half full, to me, the glass is empty, and there's no excuse.

So, in the end, GM will make it right and the OP will be happy :thumbs: :cheers: but, we shouldn't just take the candy GM offers and just walk away quietly.

That's my $0.02.

Thanks for the post. I imagine Corvette plant management agrees that my Corvette never should have made it out of the plant as it was. That said, the issues that I discovered were not so blatantly obvious that a blind man could have seen them. Most of the issues were only discovered under the right lighting conditions. As a matter of fact, when I picked the car up in Virginia, it was a cloudy and rainy day. The car was in the detail shop when I first saw it. I inspected it the best I could and none of the issues jumped out at me at that point. To make matters worse, the entire weekend was cloudy and rainy, so inspecting the car under direct sunlight wasn't even possible until I was back in Oklahoma. This is when the issue became more obvious to me. I consider myself to be quite anal when it comes to fit and finish, so it was a surprise to me when I took it to my local dealership and the service manager found additional issues that I had yet to discover. Yellow is a color that hides defects from casual observance where a darker color would have exposed the problems right away. So, do I give a pass to the Corvette plant for the problems? Not at all...and neither do they. But do I understand how the car made it out of the factory in the condition that it did? Yes, I actually do. And again, it's not something that management ever wants to happen. :cheers:

Jesse 11-05-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585352757)
I imagine Corvette plant management agrees that my Corvette never should have made it out of the plant as it was.

And as we both know, they should :yesnod:

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
That said, the issues that I discovered were not so blatantly obvious that a blind man could have seen them. Most of the issues were only discovered under the right lighting conditions.

As a matter of fact, when I picked the car up in Virginia, it was a cloudy and rainy day. The car was in the detail shop when I first saw it. I inspected it the best I could and none of the issues jumped out at me at that point. To make matters worse, the entire weekend was cloudy and rainy, so inspecting the car under direct sunlight wasn't even possible until I was back in Oklahoma. This is when the issue became more obvious to me.

jag, it's your car, it's fantastic looking, and your happiness is all that matters, but, at the factory, they should be required to have "the right lighting conditions." :yesnod:

Every step of the process needs to have some type of quality control. It's a business, and while it may cost a lot of money to have someone check every step with a fine tooth comb, it's still their name and reputation on the line, and a lot more money when cars are being recalled or returned due to overlooked problems/issues.

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I consider myself to be quite anal when it comes to fit and finish, so it was a surprise to me when I took it to my local dealership and the service manager found additional issues that I had yet to discover. Yellow is a color that hides defects from casual observance where a darker color would have exposed the problems right away. So, do I give a pass to the Corvette plant for the problems? Not at all...and neither do they. But do I understand how the car made it out of the factory in the condition that it did? Yes, I actually do. And again, it's not something that management ever wants to happen. :cheers:

All of us should be anal when it comes to fit and finish, and we should demand nothing but the best when spending $60,000+.

There are other paint threads out there, so, you're not the only one, and therefore, it shows that QC is failing. Some of the other ones I've seen were thin paint that you could see through and chips around the brake light, if I remember correctly.

Again, GM/Bowling Green QC will continue to just roll these cars out until they are challenged.

The fact that they play nice and promise the world after the fact does not, nor should it, make us walk away with a smile on our face as if the problem never happened.

If we allow/accept substandard quality, that's what we'll always get from GM/Chev. :yesnod:

Again, if GM was letting us have these cars for free, I'd take it, but, I'd still be disappointed in the shortcoming/flaws :yesnod:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-05-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by cor08vette (Post 1585352859)
And as we both know, they should :yesnod:

jag, it's your car, it's fantastic looking, and your happiness is all that matters, but, at the factory, they should be required to have "the right lighting conditions." :yesnod:

Every step of the process needs to have some type of quality control. It's a business, and while it may cost a lot of money to have someone check every step with a fine tooth comb, it's still their name and reputation on the line, and a lot more money when cars are being recalled or returned due to overlooked problems/issues.

All of us should be anal when it comes to fit and finish, and we should demand nothing but the best when spending $60,000+.

There are other paint threads out there, so, you're not the only one, and therefore, it shows that QC is failing. Some of the other ones I've seen were thin paint that you could see through and chips around the brake light, if I remember correctly.

Again, GM/Bowling Green QC will continue to just roll these cars out until they are challenged.

The fact that they play nice and promise the world after the fact does not, nor should it, make us walk away with a smile on our face as if the problem never happened.

If we allow/accept substandard quality, that's what we'll always get from GM/Chev. :yesnod:

Again, if GM was letting us have these cars for free, I'd take it, but, I'd still be disappointed in the shortcoming/flaws :yesnod:

Shrike6 11-07-2013 11:20 AM

:lurk:
Any update?

RoadkingC6 11-07-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1585297423)
This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.