CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3365606-paint-runs-on-doors-the-rest-of-the-story-from-pickup-to-re-delivery.html)

Stingray Sam 10-31-2013 10:52 PM

For those of you glass half empty folks who are badmouthing GM, I can only surmise that you've never personally made a mistake, missed an error you made or produced anything that wasn't perfect in every way.

Humans are imperfect and, consequently, make mistakes. Except in cases of life or death, it isn't the mistake that's important but how the person or company that made it responds to correct it. In this case, GM deserves a big :thumbs:!!!

Cruiter 10-31-2013 11:03 PM

Jeremy,
You've got a positive outlook on life, keep on keeping on. We all knew going in a first year run is full of production adjustments. The majority are just fine, a few that weren't up to snuff such as yours are being handled. I can't wait till you see her again and drive away :auto:. In a month you won't be thinking about this anymore.

Sometimes it's the journal of life but we keep going.

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585318427)
Yes, there are some QC issues that need to be solved, and perhaps, have already been solved. And if his theory was designed to start more crap, your post suggests that it worked. :lol:

I, for one, am not into mud-slinging. I work too hard to keep my Corvettes looking good and mud free. :D :cheers:

lt4obsesses 10-31-2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585318427)
Yes, there are some QC issues that need to be solved, and perhaps, have already been solved. And if his theory was designed to start more crap, your post suggests that it worked. :lol:

I, for one, am not into mud-slinging. I work too hard to keep my Corvettes looking good and mud free. :D :cheers:

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam (Post 1585318576)
For those of you glass half empty folks who are badmouthing GM, I can only surmise that you've never personally made a mistake, missed an error you made or produced anything that wasn't perfect in every way.

Humans are imperfect and, consequently, make mistakes. Except in cases of life or death, it isn't the mistake that's important but how the person or company that made it responds to correct it. In this case, GM deserves a big :thumbs:!!!

My take on this situation is that GM had heard enough comments on some of the paint issues, and then when they hear of a car like this, they want to take it back to plant. Why? Well, simply to show it to the peole running the operations. Not for ridicule, but as a forensic analysis of what went wrong and how to correct it. The people at the plant will be able to see exactly what is happening and have first hand knowledge. Hopefully, this will be an end to the paint issues.

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-31-2013 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 1585318642)
Jeremy,
You've got a positive outlook on life, keep on keeping on. We all knew going in a first year run is full of production adjustments. The majority are just fine, a few that weren't up to snuff such as yours are being handled. I can't wait till you see her again and drive away :auto:. In a month you won't be thinking about this anymore.

Sometimes it's the journal of life but we keep going.

Thank you...that's a good word of wisdom, my friend! :cheers: Life is short...try to savor every moment. (Especially so in a Corvette!) :thumbs:

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1585318783)
My take on this situation is that GM had heard enough comments on some of the paint issues, and then when they hear of a car like this, they want to take it back to plant. Why? Well, simply to show it to the peole running the operations. Not for ridicule, but as a forensic analysis of what went wrong and how to correct it. The people at the plant will be able to see exactly what is happening and have first hand knowledge. Hopefully, this will be an end to the paint issues.

I would be surprised if some parts of my car aren't kept around the plant for a while for analysis.

Glen e 10-31-2013 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1585318783)

This x 100...I can see every floor manager that touched this car in a room with this car and a lot of GM execs "discussing" this..at least I hope that's the case...

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-31-2013 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585318918)
This x 100...I can see every floor manager that touched this car in a room with this car and a lot of GM execs "discussing" this..at least I hope that's the case...

Pretty cool thinking about whose hands might be on my Corvette while it's there. Maybe some of them could sign my fuel rail covers! :cool:

And it has been discussed that someone from the plant may actually accompany my Corvette when it is re-delivered to me! :thumbs:

Sp00ky 11-01-2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by ZL-1 (Post 1585318269)
After being around car dealers most of my life I've seen cars of various brands arrive with unacceptable paint, my own included . It usually gets corrected locally. My initial impression here was that GM really went above and beyond when they offered to take it back to the plant rather just paying for warranty paint work at a local body shop . I was surprised how many posts here are bashing GM even in spite of this generous and expensive offer . Upon re-reading these negative posts I noticed how many are from C6 owners . Is it possible that there is a subconscious desire to take a little wind out of the sails of this exciting new model that everybody seems so crazy about ?

To the OP, I applaud you for your patient and positive attitude. Your car will be back before you know it and better than ever. :thumbs:

^^^This. Other than the C6 comment, this is true. Ive known a few people that had their cars taken to a local shop rather than straight back to the plant upon receiving a new car. Its good on GM to fix some QC mistakes with an actual customer car. Its funny how many people jump the gun on straight to "should get a new car". The car is going back to the plant, its going to be getting a 'good as new' paintjob..literally.

mpuzach 11-01-2013 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sp00ky (Post 1585318991)
The car is going back to the plant, its going to be getting a 'good as new' paintjob..literally.

Except I highly doubt they're going to paint it. I'm betting that they're going to replace the affected body panel(s).

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-01-2013 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585319168)
Except I highly doubt they're going to paint it. I'm betting that they're going to replace the affected body panel(s).

And likely keep the defective ones for analysis.

mpuzach 11-01-2013 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585319209)
And likely keep the effective ones for analysis.

Or possibly the defective ones!

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-01-2013 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585319235)

Yeah, that too :lol:

oldschoolvette 11-01-2013 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585319235)

:rofl::rofl: to the OP good luck:cheers:

QUAKEJAKE 11-01-2013 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by gmwindsor (Post 1585292292)
Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!

I agree 60 to 70 K for new car and you have to send it back

QUAKEJAKE 11-01-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585292421)
After work today I was going to cancel my C7 order and wait it out or decide to purchase another European car. Its been a long time since I owned a GM product. The GM response to your problem made me decide to allow my order to be placed this coming Tuesday. Way to step it up GM and take responsibility for your mistake :flag::cheers:

This is great but I wish GM would have stood behind the ls7 owners that have had problems mine excluded

Reciprocal 11-01-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE (Post 1585320175)
This is great but I wish GM would have stood behind the ls7 owners that have had problems mine excluded

Agree but I wish GM would have stood behind zr1 owners who were sold defective brake rotors, mine included.

JimNeedsC7 11-01-2013 09:57 AM

Hope your car comes back soon and you are happy with the result. I am looking forward to hearing how this all turns out. I assume that BG will get the body QC sorted out soon - and hopefully before I order my C7!

ldepalma 11-01-2013 10:11 AM

This story is very interesting to me because my vin is 1787 and I was next after his vin of 1786. My fit and finish is perfect minus some orange peel. It's hard to believe one car can have so many problems and the next one is fine. I would understand it if we were both early vins but after BG makes 1700+ cars and then go thru QC and miss these items make no sense to me? Anyway, hope everything works out for you....

z51vett 11-01-2013 10:18 AM

With 130 million overhaul to build new car there has to be bugs that need working out. Everyone is doing new jobs some were eliminated with new equipment the paint booth probably was redone all the construction dust and so forth is flying around till it is all removed. Not making excuses but new design newly renovated plant. Lets give them a chance to make it right and to get it right.
z51vett
Doug

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-01-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ldepalma (Post 1585320656)
This story is very interesting to me because my vin is 1787 and I was next after his vin of 1786. My fit and finish is perfect minus some orange peel. It's hard to believe one car can have so many problems and the next one is fine. I would understand it if we were both early vins but after BG makes 1700+ cars and then go thru QC and miss these items make no sense to me? Anyway, hope everything works out for you....

Karma :rofl: I'm glad yours is as good as it is...most are. :)

UniqueDoug 11-01-2013 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette (Post 1585319693)
:rofl::rofl: to the OP good luck:cheers:

:iagree: :lurk: