CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3365606-paint-runs-on-doors-the-rest-of-the-story-from-pickup-to-re-delivery.html)

SD1 11-10-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585398141)
The Jaguar F type V8S Coupe will be debuting soon. a well equipped one should be around 95k much less than a P or of course AM.

While this car has some respectable numbers wait till you see one. I checked out a drop top awhile ago, reeallllyyyy disappointed.

These are small misalignments and color variations but I agree with the majority, pretty hard to justify in this price range. Not to bring up a really well beaten and decaying body, but I can see where little **** like this makes Pcars hard to pass up when picking best ofs despite performing slightly under the Vette.

Anyone in sales will tell you 50% of any deal is what you see and NOTHING more.

DREAMERAK 11-10-2013 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by SD1 (Post 1585398342)
While this car has some respectable numbers wait till you see one. I checked out a drop top awhile ago, reeallllyyyy disappointed.

These are small misalignments and color variations but I agree with the majority, pretty hard to justify in this price range. Not to bring up a really well beaten and decaying body, but I can see where little **** like this makes Pcars hard to pass up when picking best ofs despite performing slightly under the Vette.

Anyone in sales will tell you 50% of any deal is what you see and NOTHING more.

I saw a Jag f at an auto show looked ok i thought, would rather have the C7, and the 911S with all the needed go fast bits, plus a few other must have options is at least $125K. not sure it's really worth the extra $55+K

bikevette 11-11-2013 12:42 AM

So why all the problems?

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585398408)
I saw a Jag f at an auto show looked ok i thought, would rather have the C7, and the 911S with all the needed go fast bits, plus a few other must have options is at least $125K. not sure it's really worth the extra $55+K

So why don't foreign cars made in the U.S. in the South have all these quality issues? Workers at these factories have a work ethic and care about the product they have a hand in producing, and don't feel entitled, and aren't full of hatred and class warfare? Hhhhmmmmmm...........

Nancy Reagan would say: "Just say no to unions." Corvette has a great history, and I'm going to buy one. But I'm under no illusions that, quoting many of the comments above, the problem is "GMs", as in GM management, not the workers. No matter how hard management tries, they're not going to change anything while assembly line workers are out on lunch break getting toasted. If you don't believe me, google it on youtube.

VETTE-NV 11-11-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by WingCon (Post 1585399220)
So why don't foreign cars made in the U.S. in the South have all these quality issues? Workers at these factories have a work ethic and care about the product they have a hand in producing, and don't feel entitled, and aren't full of hatred and class warfare? Hhhhmmmmmm...........

Nancy Reagan would say: "Just say no to unions." Corvette has a great history, and I'm going to buy one. But I'm under no illusions that, quoting many of the comments above, the problem is "GMs", as in GM management, not the workers. No matter how hard management tries, they're not going to change anything while assembly line workers are out on lunch break getting toasted. If you don't believe me, google it on youtube.

Whether or not you're right or wrong, I must say that the video that's been floating around showing the car being built is far from inspiring. I don't think I've ever seen a more bored group of workers. The actual robots had more life to them than the humans. I'm not expecting assembly line workers to be doing the moonwalk, but they had to know the camera was on them.....at least ACT like you give a $hit. I'd be very surprised if GM's public relations department approved of this video.

rcallen484 11-11-2013 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585399288)
Whether or not you're right or wrong, I must say that the video that's been floating around showing the car being built is far from inspiring. I don't think I've ever seen a more bored group of workers. The actual robots had more life to them than the humans. I'm not expecting assembly line workers to be doing the moonwalk, but they had to know the camera was on them.....at least ACT like you give a $hit. I'd be very surprised if GM's public relations department approved of this video.

Now you are REALLY stretching it... that is just absolutely silly :lol: :lol: :lol: Complaining about YOUR PERCEPTION of the attitude of the BG workers based on that video. :crazy: :crazy2:

VETTE-NV 11-11-2013 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1585399296)
Now you are REALLY stretching it... that is just absolutely silly :lol: :lol: :lol: Complaining about YOUR PERCEPTION of the attitude of the BG workers based on that video. :crazy: :crazy2:

You don't have to Fellini to see apathy in the video. If that video instills confidence and inspires you to buy a Corvette, I want some of what you're smoking.

bikevette 11-11-2013 01:16 PM

I agree. I may be right or I may be wrong, but it is what it is. If I hadn't spent the last 19 years in ALPA (Airline Pilot's Association which is part of the AFL/CIO) I might not be so cognizant of these attitudes. And if college or graduate school educated airline pilots harbor these attitudes, can you just imagine what goes on on an assembly line with people who probably never should have graduated from high school? I just hope when I get my 2015 next fall, that there's enough oversite and robotics involved. Please! :toetap:

bikevette 11-11-2013 01:23 PM

Not just based on a video

My perception is not just based on that video, it's based on 19 years in the AFL/CIO. I live in the belly of the beast, and am well aware of union inspired attitudes. A knee jerk anti-management approach, an entitlement philosophy, work to the absolute minimum required, and an unflinching support for a political party and the NLRB, which perpetuates this attitude in a never ending circle of elect and support.

I fully realize that I'm coming across as hypocritical as I'm going to buy one of these cars, and that's a fair statement, and I don't disagree. It's just a decision I've made since I love the history of this car, and hopefully there's enough robotics involved to alleviate the above. If I have to take it back a couple times, so be it.

R&L's C6 11-11-2013 04:54 PM

Why are people getting down on the Bowling Green workers? Most all the problems reported have nothing to do with the them. Most all the paint issues are from robotics. The rear panel being slightly too long, not the line workers fault. The electronic problems, not the line workers fault. Lots of blame being put on people who have absolutely no say in most of these matters.

bikevette 11-11-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585404093)
Why are people getting down on the Bowling Green workers? Most all the problems reported have nothing to do with the them. Most all the paint issues are from robotics. The rear panel being slightly too long, not the line workers fault. The electronic problems, not the line workers fault. Lots of blame being put on people who have absolutely no say in most of these matters.

Your specifics may be true. However, coming from a long time union member, the majority of these workers will do the absolute minimum, and even deliberately sabotage vehicles just to "get back at the man", despite their way over market wages and benefits that have broken many car companies in the past. (Along with any bad management decisions to be fair.)

Why are foreign cars, whether made here by non-union workers or overseas always come out with far higher quality ratings by non-biased periodicals that accept no advertising? Everything from Consumer Reports to Motorcycle Consumer News.

R&L's C6 11-11-2013 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by WingCon (Post 1585404206)
Your specifics may be true. However, coming from a long time union member, the majority of these workers will do the absolute minimum, and even deliberately sabotage vehicles just to "get back at the man", despite their way over market wages and benefits that have broken many car companies in the past. (Along with any bad management decisions to be fair.)

Why are foreign cars, whether made here by non-union workers or overseas always come out with far higher quality ratings by non-biased periodicals that accept no advertising? Everything from Consumer Reports to Motorcycle Consumer News.

What makes up those quality and reliability ratings? Most all the parts on most cars are manufactured by non union workers (which are what fail and give the poor ratings to begin with). Lots of generalized Bull$h!t being thrown at the Bowling Green assembly line workers in this thread with absolutely zero proof any of them are to blame.

VETTE-NV 11-11-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585404319)
What makes up those quality and reliability ratings? Most all the parts on most cars are manufactured by non union workers (which are what fail and give the poor ratings to begin with). Lots of generalized Bull$h!t being thrown at the Bowling Green assembly line workers in this thread with absolutely zero proof any of them are to blame.

It seems to me that if a worker attaches a panel that does not fit correctly, they should point this out to their supervisor and the problem would be addressed.....if they care enough to do so, that is. With 6000+ cars now out of the factory, they might have a lot of ground to make up if many of the cars have similar issues.

I do agree that the workers are not ultimately at fault here....it's the final QC division that lets these cars escape.

bikevette 11-11-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585404319)

If they care enough to do so is the key word as to the above post also. As to non-union workers being responsible for bad parts, as to the comment in the post above, so where is your proof for that. I mentioned that I've spent 19 years in the AFL/CIO. I'm not imagining these attitudes. They're endemic. Believe me or not. Your choice.

Take a look at videos of assy. line workers deliberately throwing nuts in a door panel to make it rattle, and other assy. line workers on their lunch break being caught smoking dope and drinking beer. There's your proof. Could this happen in a Toyota plant? Possibly. But they wouldn't have been rehired due to union lawyers and management handcuffed by these ridiculous contracts.

GM workers up until the bankruptcy when not needed on the assy. line were doing crossword puzzles on full pay in what was called a job bank. Does anyone think this wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for the chapter 11?

Remember Hostess twinkies. (Now back non-union.) Contract required two people and separate delivery trucks for food vs. other supplies to unload. One person standing around on full pay while the other one unloaded. Why would autoworkers under the same types of contracts be any different?

Guibo 11-11-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by WingCon (Post 1585399220)
No matter how hard management tries, they're not going to change anything while assembly line workers are out on lunch break getting toasted.

Part of it is the work ethic instilled in these US workers, taken from policies and practices in the home country. For instance, the X3 that is built in Spartanburg:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...JuQ6d1q8_ZQPuQ

Observe that the car, just as in Europe, has a padded protection mat placed on the body panel, to reduce risks of scratches. While this worker doesn't wear the overalls his German counterpart does, he still wears a "uniform" consisting of polos and khakis, which almost every line worker wears; no jeans with rivets.
It's not just the presence of unions, but the nature of that relationship which can make all the difference. In Germany, the unions are very powerful, with the kinds of vacation time and benefits their American counterparts generally don't have. They are granted these benefits in exchange for knowing that they must make concessions to management when times are bad. Management, for its part will work with the union concessions to wages/benefits in exchange for more job security during such times, and is generally accomodating to the needs of its workforce. BMW, for instance, realized that it needed to retain skilled, older workers, so it had to make changes. It has a program and part of the plant designed around older workers, a slower pace than the normal line, physiotherapists on the production floor, and even quiet resting stations:
http://static.ibnlive.in.com/pix/sli...ide/bmw3_3.jpg
Management may have high quality standards, but the workers take this, as well as the work atmosphere, as points of pride. It's a more cohesive, mutually beneficial relationship, rather than the adversarial one we see in the States.

bikevette 11-11-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585405169)
Part of it is the work ethic instilled in these US workers, taken from policies and practices in the home country. For instance, the X3 that is built in Spartanburg:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...JuQ6d1q8_ZQPuQ

It's not just the presence of unions, but the nature of that relationship which can make all the difference. In Germany, the unions are very powerful, with the kinds of vacation time and benefits their American counterparts generally don't have. They are granted these benefits in exchange for knowing that they must make concessions to management when times are bad. Management, for its part will work with the union concessions to wages/benefits in exchange for more job security during such times, and is generally accomodating to the needs of its workforce. BMW, for instance, realized that it needed to retain skilled, older workers, so it had to make changes. It has a program and part of the plant designed around older workers, a slower pace than the normal line, physiotherapists on the production floor, and even quiet resting stations:
http://static.ibnlive.in.com/pix/sli...ide/bmw3_3.jpg
Management may have high quality standards, but the workers take this, as well as the work atmosphere, as points of pride. It's a more cohesive, mutually beneficial relationship, rather than the adversarial one we see in the States.

I agree. Points of pride, mutually beneficial etc. I would still have a beef with $80/hour essentially unskilled (for many jobs, not all) workers plus huge benefits. These are not market wages and add dramatically to the price of a car, which of course reduces the amount of sales, and the health of a company. My wife has been a nurse for 42 years, is highly experiences and skilled, and makes $50/hour. It's her choice, and she says she's not entitled to any wage she's not willing to work for.
As long as Trumka types are running the show, there's no hope.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-13-2013 12:13 PM

UPDATE! I just received an email from OnStar detailing my C7's diagnostic report. It shows 1995 miles on the car as of today. I loaded it onto the trailer with 1990 miles. Hopefully those 5 miles include taking it inside the factory, all repairs, and putting it back on a truck to send to back to me! :thumbs:

#1c6 11-13-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585419491)
UPDATE! I just received an email from OnStar detailing my C7's diagnostic report. It shows 1995 miles on the car as of today. I loaded it onto the trailer with 1990 miles. Hopefully those 5 miles include taking it inside the factory, all repairs, and putting it back on a truck to send to back to me! :thumbs:

i hope it all goes well, post lots of pics when you get it back! i have a v/y z51 on order and love looking at pics while im waiting:willy:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-13-2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by #1c6 (Post 1585419922)
i hope it all goes well, post lots of pics when you get it back! i have a v/y z51 on order and love looking at pics while im waiting:willy:

Will do! :thumbs:

Bill Dearborn 11-13-2013 01:16 PM

:iagree:

What you see in a video doesn't show you anything about quality or how the workers feel. Just like the videos shown of riots it doesn't show you what else is going on outside the field of view of the camera. It is very easy to get a wrong perception of what is going on from a video. A picture is worth a thousand words except when it isn't.

Bill

VETTE-NV 11-13-2013 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1585420011)
:iagree:

What you see in a video doesn't show you anything about quality or how the workers feel. Just like the videos shown of riots it doesn't show you what else is going on outside the field of view of the camera. It is very easy to get a wrong perception of what is going on from a video. A picture is worth a thousand words except when it isn't.

Bill

I see nothing!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: