CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3365606-paint-runs-on-doors-the-rest-of-the-story-from-pickup-to-re-delivery.html)

lottavettes 11-07-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6 (Post 1585370836)
:iagree:

:iagree: :cheers:

Could you imagine the people who have to live or work with these anals.

Garret 11-07-2013 12:05 PM

I can already see where this is going. You will get the car back and the fender will not match the door or the hood or something. If you have ever been in the C6 section you will no doubt know what I'm talking about. It sounds like your car should have never even left the plant. Way to go BG inspectors....

I hope it all works out in a positive way for you the first time.

Jesse 11-07-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1585297423)
This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6 (Post 1585370836)

Originally Posted by lottavettes (Post 1585370919)
:iagree: :cheers:

Could you imagine the people who have to live or work with these anals.

Couldn't disagree more.

Stepping up to the plate would mean that before leaving QC at the factory, that these obvious paint flaws are detected and corrected.

No buyer should get their car, get home and then discover such pathetic substandard quality in their paint.

Maybe you think we should just eliminate the entire quality control factor, have BG ship out the cars for delivery, and then the owners can just go to their dealership and get all the overlooked issues fixed?

Well, at least GM would be fixing their mistake, and the inconvenience to the owner, who just spent $60,000+, tough, deal with it! No owner should have to load their C7 on a trailer to go back to the factory to fix paint that should have never been passed in the first place!

Sorry, but these paint issue are blatant and obvious, and there's just NO excuse that they weren't detected by "quality control," before being passed :nono: What are these people being paid for?

Spray it, and send it doesn't work, and owners should demand more :yesnod:

It's not that we don't appreciate GM stepping up to the plate, the bottom line is, they shouldn't have to if the problem was detected when and where it should have been, and that's in BG and not the owners garage.

Stop giving GM a feather in their cap for fixing issues after the fact. I'd rather give them a full headdress for getting it right the first time.

Remember, if like some of you, we let GM off the hook and applaud their actions after the problems, we will continue to get a substandard product. They need to be confronted, and make those in QC earn their salary, period!

Shrike6 11-07-2013 12:09 PM

Exactly. :iagree:

jleews6 11-07-2013 12:33 PM

Best of luck to you and I hope everything works in your favor but I have to say that, If I just bought a "new Corvette" I would want a new Corvette and not one that has had paint work already done to it.

FWIW, In 03 I bought a new Cobra and it had about 11 miles on it. It was a brand new car sitting on the lot.It was raining the day I bought it but I looked it over good and didnt see any imperfections. When I got it home the next day I went to wash it and was horrified at what I was looking at. The car had been repainted.:eek:
I called the dealer and after them telling me I had no idea what I was talking about I called my sister inlaw the lawyer.:D
She said to tell them that you talked to the Attorney generals office.
The next day I had my new car with factory paint.:thumbs:

You probably paid 60 thousand dollars for a new car. You deserve for that car to be almost perfect.

JimNeedsC7 11-07-2013 12:56 PM

I agree that these cars should have never left BG with paint of that quality. I post a lot on a Toyota truck forum and if people bought a $25k Toyota truck with that kind of paint they would be mad as hell - and other people on the forum would not be telling them to just suck it up and be happy. I think that attitude is a big reason that GM does not feel that it needs to sweat the details.

Here is another thing to consider - this car did go back to BG for repairs although the OP is not sure yet exactly what that will involve. I do give GM credit for stepping in and taking care of the OP's car. But another C7 buyer (jerry49er) got his TR C7 with some serious paint issues, and GM will not take his back. They want the dealer to repaint three major parts of his car - and good luck with that matching the parts that they don't paint. All GM offered him was a car cover! Now there is some excellent customer service. He loves his car and plans to get another one after his dealer takes his car back. But he describes the GM customer service process as the worst that he has ever seen.

sam90lx 11-07-2013 01:07 PM

If I was Jerry49er I would be contacting a lawyer, I would also plaster this everywhere I could on the web....GM does not want publicity like this, they will take care of it.

Thunder22 11-07-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1585297423)
This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.

Why would you be ok with spending over $60k on a new car with paint issues? And why should GM be given a pass? Because they sucked before and are better now? I'm a loyal GM customer, a C7 will be my 3rd Vette in 10 years, but if it shows up with crappy paint, I'm not taking delivery of it, especially if it needs to be repainted or wet sanded. I wouldn't accept that from any other manufacturer either.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-07-2013 03:48 PM

Friends, while I am not certain what they are doing to my C7, my request was that I wanted all new body panels and not a repaint. I don't want any evidence of a repaint and I don't think it will come back to me in a way that would be disappointing to me. As I have said before, management has taken this situation quite seriously and I know that this has helped them identity for correction the QC problems that contributed to my car being delivered with the issues it had. I was told to expect my car back in two to three weeks...I'm halfway there! :thumbs:

Chevy Cust Svc 11-07-2013 06:32 PM

Hey Jag,

You are getting there! Half way is nothing, she will be home soon! :)

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

svtkeith 11-07-2013 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585372886)
Friends, while I am not certain what they are doing to my C7, my request was that I wanted all new body panels and not a repaint. I don't want any evidence of a repaint and I don't think it will come back to me in a way that would be disappointing to me. As I have said before, management has taken this situation quite seriously and I know that this has helped them identity for correction the QC problems that contributed to my car being delivered with the issues it had. I was told to expect my car back in two to three weeks...I'm halfway there! :thumbs:

That's great to hear!! hope no one else has to go through this again.

R&L's C6 11-07-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585372886)

Almost finished.....:D

Attachment 47745136

sam90lx 11-07-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by r&l's c6 (Post 1585374270)
almost finished.....:d

Attachment 47745136

:rofl::rofl:

c54u 11-07-2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585374270)

Attachment 47745136

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...y-img_4141.jpg

Don't forget this!!! :rock:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/image...102913_13b.jpg

Corgidog1 11-07-2013 08:33 PM

I would not take delivery of a new car that has been repainted in any way shape or form. Now is the time to cancel your order and get the convertible you are drooling over.

c6miller 11-07-2013 08:53 PM

My 2010 GS vert was sent back to BG because the trunk and deck lids were cockeyed. Took about 3 weeks and when I got it back it was only slightly better with some additional scratches. GM exchanged it for a 2012 GS for a very minimal cost and I was happy. I'm sure they will make it right for you. I'm going wait for BG to iron out any C7 issues before I order one.

b4i4getit 11-07-2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by c6miller (Post 1585375376)
My 2010 GS vert was sent back to BG because the trunk and deck lids were cockeyed. Took about 3 weeks and when I got it back it was only slightly better with some additional scratches. GM exchanged it for a 2012 GS for a very minimal cost and I was happy. I'm sure they will make it right for you. I'm going wait for BG to iron out any C7 issues before I order one.

I guess there is something to be said for buying a car right off the lot instead of ordering. When you order you get what you get. When you buy off the lot you can inspect it for fit and finish before purchase.

fasttoys 11-07-2013 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1585375520)
I guess there is something to be said for buying a car right off the lot instead of ordering. When you order you get what you get. When you buy off the lot you can inspect it for fit and finish before purchase.

You can do the same if ordering, deposits are refundable, I just think many people are so excited they don't look the cars over. :willy:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-08-2013 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc (Post 1585374197)
Hey Jag,

You are getting there! Half way is nothing, she will be home soon! :)

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Kelly, thanks! I'm excited! :thumbs:

rexracerx9 11-08-2013 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by cor08vette (Post 1585370977)
Couldn't disagree more.

Stepping up to the plate would mean that before leaving QC at the factory, that these obvious paint flaws are detected and corrected.

No buyer should get their car, get home and then discover such pathetic substandard quality in their paint.

Maybe you think we should just eliminate the entire quality control factor, have BG ship out the cars for delivery, and then the owners can just go to their dealership and get all the overlooked issues fixed?

Well, at least GM would be fixing their mistake, and the inconvenience to the owner, who just spent $60,000+, tough, deal with it! No owner should have to load their C7 on a trailer to go back to the factory to fix paint that should have never been passed in the first place!

Sorry, but these paint issue are blatant and obvious, and there's just NO excuse that they weren't detected by "quality control," before being passed :nono: What are these people being paid for?

Spray it, and send it doesn't work, and owners should demand more :yesnod:

It's not that we don't appreciate GM stepping up to the plate, the bottom line is, they shouldn't have to if the problem was detected when and where it should have been, and that's in BG and not the owners garage.

Stop giving GM a feather in their cap for fixing issues after the fact. I'd rather give them a full headdress for getting it right the first time.

Remember, if like some of you, we let GM off the hook and applaud their actions after the problems, we will continue to get a substandard product. They need to be confronted, and make those in QC earn their salary, period!

Well said!

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-08-2013 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585376415)
You can do the same if ordering, deposits are refundable, I just think many people are so excited they don't look the cars over. :willy:

The following is a previous post about my experience. :cheers:

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585352757)
Thanks for the post. I imagine Corvette plant management agrees that my Corvette never should have made it out of the plant as it was. That said, the issues that I discovered were not so blatantly obvious that a blind man could have seen them. Most of the issues were only discovered under the right lighting conditions. As a matter of fact, when I picked the car up in Virginia, it was a cloudy and rainy day. The car was in the detail shop when I first saw it. I inspected it the best I could and none of the issues jumped out at me at that point. To make matters worse, the entire weekend was cloudy and rainy, so inspecting the car under direct sunlight wasn't even possible until I was back in Oklahoma. This is when the issue became more obvious to me. I consider myself to be quite anal when it comes to fit and finish, so it was a surprise to me when I took it to my local dealership and the service manager found additional issues that I had yet to discover. Yellow is a color that hides defects from casual observance where a darker color would have exposed the problems right away. So, do I give a pass to the Corvette plant for the problems? Not at all...and neither do they. But do I understand how the car made it out of the factory in the condition that it did? Yes, I actually do. And again, it's not something that management ever wants to happen. :cheers:

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585374270)

Attachment 47745136

:rock: :rofl:

rexracerx9 11-08-2013 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rob 99 (Post 1585350673)
i guess the paint dept didn't get a large share of the $131 Million upgrade money. :crazy2:

$52M of the $131M went to the body shop. I think a fair percentage of that was dedicated to making the aluminum frames in-house. Head of Quality Control should be accountable.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...linggreen.html

Here is a free tour.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/09/c...nt-tour-video/

JimNeedsC7 11-08-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1585375520)

Wow - I am impressed with how easy Corvette owners are - planning strategies to get a $70k car that does not look like it was built in someone's garage when they were drunk. I bought my Toyota truck when it was in another city and I could not inspect it. It never occurred to me that I would need to do a quality audit before signing the papers! It was perfect BTW, even though it cost about $20k less than the C7 I would like to own. I guess I may have owned too many Asian vehicles to ever accept the way American cars are assembled - and that is too bad because I think the C7 is a brilliant design.

Michael A 11-08-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7 (Post 1585378001)
Wow - I am impressed with how easy Corvette owners are - planning strategies to get a $70k car that does not look like it was built in someone's garage when they were drunk. I bought my Toyota truck when it was in another city and I could not inspect it. It never occurred to me that I would need to do a quality audit before signing the papers! It was perfect BTW, even though it cost about $20k less than the C7 I would like to own. I guess I may have owned too many Asian vehicles to ever accept the way American cars are assembled - and that is too bad because I think the C7 is a brilliant design.

Jim, not all of us Corvette owners are easy. My checkbook is still waiting for them to build a quality car. Based on what I saw at the SEMA show, it is going to be a while. I can't remember a car with such poor body fit. Nothing fit right. I even had to go out and look at my C5 when I got home to confirm they weren't all built that poorly. Nope. The C5 gaps, while not as tight as today's non-GM cars, were very straight. Everything was lined up. The C5 paint also had much less orange peel.

They have a ways to go.

Michael

VETTE-NV 11-08-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585380080)
Jim, not all of us Corvette owners are easy. My checkbook is still waiting for them to build a quality car. Based on what I saw at the SEMA show, it is going to be a while. I can't remember a car with such poor body fit. Nothing fit right. I even had to go out and look at my C5 when I got home to confirm they weren't all built that poorly. Nope. The C5 gaps, while not as tight as today's non-GM cars, were very straight. Everything was lined up. The C5 paint also had much less orange peel.

They have a ways to go.

Michael

:iagree:I sold my C6 yesterday in anticipation of the C7 but based on what I've seen on the last few weeks, I'm not so thrilled about the sale. In comparison, my C6 was (is) as perfect as any Vette I've ever seen. I'm heading over to SEMA today and based on what you've said here, I guess I'm going to be disappointed. Although the new design is certainly an advance, it's mind-boggling that they would actually take a step BACKWARDS in quality. WTF??:eek:

DREAMERAK 11-08-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7 (Post 1585378001)

Yes Jim, Asian cars never ever have problems...:lol:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-08-2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585380206)
:iagree:I sold my C6 yesterday in anticipation of the C7 but based on what I've seen on the last few weeks, I'm not so thrilled about the sale. In comparison, my C6 was (is) as perfect as any Vette I've ever seen. I'm heading over to SEMA today and based on what you've said here, I guess I'm going to be disappointed. Although the new design is certainly an advance, it's mind-boggling that they would actually take a step BACKWARDS in quality. WTF??:eek:

I think the reports of paint issues are miniscule compared to the number of cars already produced. Hopefully that won't sway your decision to look at a new C7. :cheers:

DREAMERAK 11-08-2013 02:27 PM

Not all C7's have problems, two days ago i visited a local dealer and looked at a Yellow 3LT non Z51, I took a lot of time going around and around the car. The panel fit was excellent and the paint had less orange peel than the BMW's a I saw at a recent auto show. This doesn't mean the C7's with problems are acceptable, they are not, but I believe some of this is getting over hyped by a few people who would like to see the C7 taken down a notch or two.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-08-2013 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585380915)
Not all C7's have problems, two days ago i visited a local dealer and looked at a Yellow 3LT non Z51, I took a lot of time going around and around the car. The panel fit was excellent and the paint had less orange peel than the BMW's a I saw at a recent auto show. This doesn't mean the C7's with problems are acceptable, they are not, but I believe some of this is getting over hyped by a few people who would like to see the C7 taken down a notch or two.

:iagree::cheers:

JimNeedsC7 11-08-2013 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585380287)
Yes Jim, Asian cars never ever have problems...:lol:

I did not say that Asian cars never have problems - in fact my last two Toyota products have been recalled. My current truck was delivered with a nav system that could not read the DVD's and it took a factory tech to get it working. So I agree, no one can make a car that never has any issues these days - cars are just too full of electronics and are too complicated for anyone to pull that off.

But Asian cars are built to a standard of fit and finish that apparently Chevy cannot match with the C7. I have yet to have any Toyota, Lexus or Infiniti product that I have owned with a body assembly or paint flaw - not a single one - and I buy and enjoy a lot of cars. My last two Toyota products were pickups, they were build in the US and neither had any paint problems or misaligned body panels.

I am not a troll, I do not have an agenda against Chevy and I do very much want to own a C7, but I refuse to pay that kind of money for a car that does not meet minimal standards for assembly quality - a standard that virtually any other car sold today will meet, regardless of cost.

I am also glad to know that many lucky C7 buyers have cars that they are happy with and I wish Chevy nothing but the best with this amazing new car. I also think that a uniform level of quality will come with time and that GM might have been well served by waiting just a bit longer before bringing the C7 to market.

VETTE-NV 11-08-2013 07:25 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Back from SEMA. Some beautiful Corvettes, but some disheartening images. EVERY one had orange peel in varying degrees, most unacceptable for such a car, especially when other $20K Chevys had near perfect paint jobs....and EVERY one also had front and rear panel mis-alignments. It almost seems as if the rear bumper is too long....if it fits flush at the top, the bottom is about 1/8" longer as you can see in the photo of the white car.

HRE had a custom pearl white Corvette with a beautiful paint job. It did show just how stunning this car could be with a better finish. For the record, I am not trying to take the C7 "down a notch." I just sold my C6 for chrissake......but I can't buy one of these unless the quality improves. I don't understand how anyone from GM or Bowling Green can see these images and think this is an acceptable standard.

BTW, I only took pics of a few cars, however I did examine at least 8 Corvettes and they all had similar issues. Not one had the front or rear fascias fitting correctly.

skinner1961 11-08-2013 07:36 PM

:iagree::iagree::smash:

BERETTA 11-08-2013 07:41 PM

Our club went through the plant this past Wednesday, I watched carefully how meticulous the workers were at checking door fit and measuring gaps etc. everything looked very good to me.
We then went to the museum and looked at 8 C7's on the floor in several colors, they all looked flawless to me. I bent down and looked close at the rear, the sides and front ends. Everything looked very good on these cars with very little orange peel, and the fit and finish was excellent!
Maybe the initial problems are over, I would have been proud to take any of those cars home. :cheers:

VETTE-NV 11-08-2013 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by BERETTA (Post 1585383362)
Our club went through the plant this past Wednesday, I watched carefully how meticulous the workers were at checking door fit and measuring gaps etc. everything looked very good to me.
We then went to the museum and looked at 8 C7's on the floor in several colors, they all looked flawless to me. I bent down and looked close at the rear, the sides and front ends. Everything looked very good on these cars with very little orange peel, and the fit and finish was excellent!
Maybe the initial problems are over, I would have been proud to take any of those cars home. :cheers:

I certainly hope you're right. I take no pleasure in posting pictures like the ones above, but the silver convertible is actually a car that GM brought to the show....you would think, at this point, they could have got THAT car right, no?

BERETTA 11-08-2013 07:55 PM

BTW OP, I think that is great that GM is doing this! I don't think I have ever heard of any manufacturer doing this. :thumbs: :cool:

BERETTA 11-08-2013 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585383471)
I certainly hope you're right. I take no pleasure in posting pictures like the ones above, but the silver convertible is actually a car that GM brought to the show....you would think, at this point, they could have got THAT car right, no?

Me too, I took a few photos at the museum but I don't have any good close ups like you have, I don't remember seeing any kind of issues like the ones in the photos you posted :ack:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps46f46a0c.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps5797e56f.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...psea969dce.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps8686abfc.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps4cea4490.jpg

The rear looks to fit very nicely here...
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6fce89bd.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps0384e010.jpg

Michael A 11-09-2013 04:56 AM

I have no reason to take the car down a notch. I would love nothing more to see the car be built to the highest standards, and brag about it. I have some pictures I'll try to post, and you guys can decide. What I saw were gaps at the back of the hatch were wide on one side, and narrow on the other. Same thing with the Targa top to the body. The doors were inset at the bottom from the body. The right hand headlight had a gap at the bottom and stuck up, while the left one was fine. The bumper did not fit at the wheel wheel openings, and the list goes on.

I would think, if anything, the quality should be better than a 14 year old car.

Michael

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-09-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585385758)
I have no reason to take the car down a notch. I would love nothing more to see the car be built to the highest standards, and brag about it. I have some pictures I'll try to post, and you guys can decide. What I saw were gaps at the back of the hatch were wide on one side, and narrow on the other. Same thing with the Targa top to the body. The doors were inset at the bottom from the body. The right hand headlight had a gap at the bottom and stuck up, while the left one was fine. The bumper did not fit at the wheel wheel openings, and the list goes on.

I would think, if anything, the quality should be better than a 14 year old car.

Michael

Michael, the doors being inset from the body at the bottom of the doors is actually by design. This thread explains this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...alignment.html :thumbs:

Reciprocal 11-09-2013 01:39 PM

I disagree that GM ever operates on the principle of "making things right." What they do is stamp out fires (as in op's instance), or they cover up and act like they've never heard about your problem, or call it a "normal characteristic of the car" while handing it back to you. So yes, for the random occurrence of something that's obviously just broken or one-off paint flaw, they "do the right thing" and bask in the glow of positive feedback, but if the problem is widespread affecting many units, they "don't do the right thing."

Just ask the owners who have unresolved problems with valve guide failures on Z06, or harmonic balancers on C6, or defective carbon ceramic brake rotors on ZR1 (me). Each case gets reviewed by gm field reps agents with outcomes everything from complete replacement to claim denial, the outcome depending unfortunately on your persistence and tolerance for frustration before giving up. THAT instead of "doing the right thing," which would mean acknowledging and fixing the problem with integrity, for all affected owners.

The notion that GM chose this car, and this moment to turn over a new leaf is very naive. The idea that reporting defects is "taking it down a notch" is not the case, because by reputation they've never been "up a notch." It's the same old GM.

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Reciprocal (Post 1585388124)
I disagree that GM ever operates on the principle of "making things right." What they do is stamp out fires (as in op's instance), or they cover up and act like they've never heard about your problem, or call it a "normal characteristic of the car" while handing it back to you. So yes, for the random occurrence of something that's obviously just broken or one-off paint flaw, they "do the right thing" and bask in the glow of positive feedback, but if the problem is widespread affecting many units, they "don't do the right thing."

Just ask the owners who have unresolved problems with valve guide failures on Z06, or harmonic balancers on C6, or defective carbon ceramic brake rotors on ZR1 (me). Each case gets reviewed by gm field reps agents with outcomes everything from complete replacement to claim denial, the outcome depending unfortunately on your persistence and tolerance for frustration before giving up. THAT instead of "doing the right thing," which would mean acknowledging and fixing the problem with integrity, for all affected owners.

The notion that GM chose this car, and this moment to turn over a new leaf is very naive. The idea that reporting defects is "taking it down a notch" is not the case, because by reputation they've never been "up a notch." It's the same old GM.

Yeah, right, same old GM....:rolleyes:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/19/auto...-gm/index.html

Michael A 11-09-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585387932)
Michael, the doors being inset from the body at the bottom of the doors is actually by design. This thread explains this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...alignment.html :thumbs:

Thanks for pointing this out. :thumbs: I was aware of the inset at the bottom of the door prior to looking at the car, but what I was not expecting is that the door would be inset to a lesser degree at the body line several inches above the bottom of the door. I would have expected it to meet there to tie things up. Perhaps that is by design, but, if so, it is kind of weird.

Update: I just looked at my 2013 Impala rental car, which has the same door indent at the bottom of the door. Unlike the C7 I saw, this one matches at the body line feature a few inches above. It seems to me, the doors are not being mounted correctly on the C7, or the door molds are inaccurate.

Michael

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585388210)

Seriously? :lol::lol: Maybe JD Power needs to see the photos I posted above. Just because they have an overall high rating does not mean the problems with the Corvette....a specific car built in a specific plant......do not exist.

Maybe we should just ignore the problems and hang a print out of the JD Power survey in the window of the C7.

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Reciprocal (Post 1585388124)

:iagree: GM will fix things if they have to, not because of integrity. Hopefully, the more we post pics and point out unacceptable issues, the more they will be forced to address them....but maybe even that is being naive.

Michael A 11-09-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585388296)
:iagree: GM will fix things if they have to, not because of integrity. Hopefully, the more we post pics and point out unacceptable issues, the more they will be forced to address them....but maybe even that is being naive.

One of GMs stated goals was to attract younger import buyers. They certainly got the design right, but it's never going to happen if they don't get comparable quality. Those buyers are image conscious, and they are not going to show up with their new car with all the panels crooked, and orange peel paint.

Michael

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585388385)
One of GMs stated goals was to attract younger import buyers. They certainly got the design right, but it's never going to happen if they don't get comparable quality. Those buyers are image conscious, and they are not going to show up with their new car with all the panels crooked, and orange peel paint.

Michael

Good point. I'm quite impressed with the quality of my new 2013 Sonata. It's only a work vehicle and I couldn't care less about it, but the fit and finish are excellent.....comparable to my wife's Mercedes. In contrast, the C7's I've seen person in the last couple of weeks are embarrassing. I'm still shocked that some of these cars left the factory with such glaring issues. I have no doubt GM can fix these problems....but whether or not they will do so in a timely manner is the real question.

SD1 11-09-2013 05:31 PM

The interior on the Chevys is far better now than a few years ago, but you are correct. they are still just catching up, leading from behind if you will. While that is great they are putting out a better product, its really just keeping up vs. overtaking the competition.

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585388269)
Seriously? :lol::lol: Maybe JD Power needs to see the photos I posted above. Just because they have an overall high rating does not mean the problems with the Corvette....a specific car built in a specific plant......do not exist.

Maybe we should just ignore the problems and hang a print out of the JD Power survey in the window of the C7.

And while were at it, lets pretend every C7 has panel and paint problems and
blow the problem all out of proportion because, ya know, we didn't like the C7 in the first place.:willy:..:rofl:.:smash:.:crazy2:

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585389502)
And while were at it, lets pretend every C7 has panel and paint problems and
blow the problem all out of proportion because, ya know, we didn't like the C7 in the first place.:willy:..:rofl:.:smash:.:crazy2:

I never said every C7 has panel and paint problems. I haven't seen every C7. I have however, examined 11 of them, and every one has issues that would prevent me from accepting the car as is.....issues that are unacceptable for a halo car at this price point. Issues that are unacceptable on any modern car.

I've been back and forth on my opinion of the C7, but I've grown to like it enough to have sold my C6, which I am regretting a bit at this moment. To simply dismiss these problems as sour grapes or some other such nonsense is an act of ignorance....or maybe just too much Coolade. Blind fanboyism is not going force GM to get their act together.

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585390076)
I never said every C7 has panel and paint problems. I haven't seen every C7. I have however, examined 11 of them, and every one has issues that would prevent me from accepting the car as is.....issues that are unacceptable for a halo car at this price point. Issues that are unacceptable on any modern car.

I've been back and forth on my opinion of the C7, but I've grown to like it enough to have sold my C6, which I am regretting a bit at this moment. To simply dismiss these problems as sour grapes or some other such nonsense is an act of ignorance....or maybe just too much Coolade. Blind fanboyism is not going force GM to get their act together.

This was posted by me a few posts above maybe you missed it?

"This doesn't mean the C7's with problems are acceptable, they are not, but I believe some of this is getting over hyped by a few people who would like to see the C7 taken down a notch"

notice where I say the problems are not acceptable?
notice where I say some of this is getting over hyped? ( not all of it?)
notice where I say a few people (not everyone?)

If you did read it maybe a reading comprehension course is in order?
Oh, and it's koolaid not Coolaid.

JimNeedsC7 11-09-2013 07:38 PM

Dude - do not attempt to have a rational discussion about Corvettes with DREAMERAK - I tried on another thread and it will not work. He just pops up in the middle of threads devoted to legitimate concerns about the current poor build quality of the C7 - shouts everyone down by making disparaging posts and furthers the stange POV that somehow it is fine to buy a $70k car that was poorly assembled.

Actually posters with that 'tude, along with all of the quality problems have saved me from buying a car which I seriously doubt I could ever have been happy with. I will keep my money in the bank and when another manufacturor comes along with a car that fires my imagination the way the C7 did I might get one. I just hope it is not a Porsche product, because DREAMERAK has busted a gut telling us what a POS they all are.

Oh, and an oldie but goodie from him while I was writing this post - DREAMERAK is now casting aspersions on other forum user's reading comprehension, even though he almost never seems to quite understand the actual subject material in any of the threads that I have interacted with him in.

I am completely over this lame forum and this lame automobile - no more posts from me to disturb the Koolaid drinking so prevalent here. So don't bother with a pithy repost Mr DREAMERAK - because I will never read it.

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585390198)
Oh, and it's koolaid not Coolaid.

I guess you would know.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7 (Post 1585390279)
Dude - do not attempt to have a rational discussion about Corvettes with DREAMERAK - I tried on another thread and it will not work. He just pops up in the middle of threads devoted to legitimate concerns about the current poor build quality of the C7 - shouts everyone down by making disparaging posts and furthers the stange POV that somehow it is fine to buy a $70k car that was poorly assembled.

Actually posters with that 'tude, along with all of the quality problems have saved me from buying a car which I seriously doubt I could ever have been happy with. I will keep my money in the bank and when another manufacturor comes along with a car that fires my imagination the way the C7 did I might get one. I just hope it is not a Porsche product, because DREAMERAK has busted a gut telling us what a POS they all are.

Oh, and an oldie but goodie from him while I was writing this post - DREAMERAK is now casting aspersions on other forum user's reading comprehension, even though he almost never seems to quite understand the actual subject material in any of the threads that I have interacted with him in.

I am completely over this lame forum and this lame automobile - no more posts from me to disturb the Koolaid drinking so prevalent here. So don't bother with a pithy repost Mr DREAMERAK - because I will never read it.

Gotcha. I'll probably end up jumping on a GT-R if the Corvette quality does not improve in the next few months. Maybe this guy will have a few words of wisdom regarding that car as well. Can't wait. :toetap:

Michael A 11-09-2013 08:15 PM

I wouldn't let one person or a few people sour your entire view of the forum or the car. As far as the forum goes, I have yet to see a car forum where you will get more answers on the car when you need them. Corvette people really dig into their cars. You will see that as more people get the car, and we get more posts about the car itself, and less about the styling, quality, etc. I use the forum ignore feature to prevent being bothered by the few people who make no sense and are always looking to argue invalid points. It makes the forum much more enjoyable.

As far as the car goes, I think the engineering and styling is incredible. There are few cars at any price that can match this car, and, frankly, I am not sure what I would buy if not the Corvette. I need to buy something fairly soon, though, so may have to get a different car in the interim, which doesn't thrill me. Clearly, GM has a lot of quality issues to work out to bring it back to the standards of even prior models. If they put their minds to it, they can get them fixed, but it will require some patience from potential buyers. Personally, I think they would do well to indicate that they are working on issues, just as they indicated they worked on engineering issues prior to the car being released.

Michael

ByByBMW 11-09-2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585388210)

Except that report came out in June. The C7 hadn't been released yet.
THIS forum is where I will get most of my information as to quality, fit and finish, GM response to issues etc. And so far, my decision to NOT buy the first MY has worked out to be a good decision on my part. But I am not going to say I am not going to buy a C7 at this point. I am willing to wait and see if GM will get this car right, and I hope it does because I love vettes and love the community. The Porsche community isn't nearly as fun as a corvette community.

So to the folks that are posting issues they have with the C7, keep up the reporting. Hold GM's feet to the fire. Let's get the car we want, the car GM needs to produce for the faithful.

ByByBMW 11-09-2013 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585390508)
I wouldn't let one person or a few people sour your entire view of the forum or the car. As far as the forum goes, I have yet to see a car forum where you will get more answers on the car when you need them. Corvette people really dig into their cars. You will see that as more people get the car, and we get more posts about the car itself, and less about the styling, quality, etc. I use the forum ignore feature to prevent being bothered by the few people who make no sense and are always looking to argue invalid points. It makes the forum much more enjoyable.

As far as the car goes, I think the engineering and styling is incredible. There are few cars at any price that can match this car, and, frankly, I am not sure what I would buy if not the Corvette. I need to buy something fairly soon, though, so may have to get a different car in the interim, which doesn't thrill me. Clearly, GM has a lot of quality issues to work out to bring it back to the standards of even prior models. If they put their minds to it, they can get them fixed, but it will require some patience from potential buyers. Personally, I think they would do well to indicate that they are working on issues, just as they indicated they worked on engineering issues prior to the car being released.

Michael

You might check out the new Boxster/Cayman. I did and that's what I'm driving until the C7 gets the bugs worked out. It doesn't have the HP or torque but it is a really fun car to drive.

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 08:33 PM

I JUST SAID THE PROBLEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE, AND I SAID IT LEAST TWICE BEFORE THAT, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

I never said Porsche is a POS, EVER, in fact I said I like them, that's right do a search. The point was they are not perfect either. Get a grip Jim. When I use I use words like sometimes and a few and that gets translated into always and everyone I have a problem with it, don't try to put words in my mouth I never intended.

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585390508)

Michael

If GM were to indicate that they were working on quality issues, it might cause quite a backlash from those who have already taken delivery. My guess is that if they are going to address the problems, it will be done without fanfare (or admission of guilt) and better cars will quietly start rolling off the line.....I hope.

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585390339)
I guess you would know.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes i do, but not for the reasons your inferring.

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585390701)
Yes i do, but not for the reasons your inferring.

Shouldn't that be "you're" Einstein?:lol::lol::lol:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-09-2013 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585390784)
Shouldn't that "you're" Einstein?:lol::lol::lol:

Then you initially leave out the word "be!" :rofl: Can I have my thread back? :lol: :cheers:

(Then I saw that you went back and fixed it...but now the cat's out of the bag! :D)

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585390784)
Shouldn't that be "you're" Einstein?:lol::lol::lol:

Yes MR Hawking.:lol:

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585390804)
Then you initially leave out the word "be!" :rofl: Can I have my thread back? :lol: :cheers:

(Then I saw that you went back and fixed it...but now the cat's out of the bag! :D)

Not much of a cat. That was a typo...not an ignorant mistake...and at least I had the brains to fix it!! Take your (proper use of the word "your") thread back. You're (proper use of the word "you're) welcome to it.

BTW, I hope your car comes back in perfect condition. I'm sure it will with all the eyes that GM knows are on this. You'll probably have the best C7 yet built.:thumbs:

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585390833)
Yes MR Hawking.:lol:

Thanks for compliment, Sheldon. :willy:

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1585390534)
Except that report came out in June. The C7 hadn't been released yet.
THIS forum is where I will get most of my information as to quality, fit and finish, GM response to issues etc. And so far, my decision to NOT buy the first MY has worked out to be a good decision on my part. But I am not going to say I am not going to buy a C7 at this point. I am willing to wait and see if GM will get this car right, and I hope it does because I love vettes and love the community. The Porsche community isn't nearly as fun as a corvette community.

So to the folks that are posting issues they have with the C7, keep up the reporting. Hold GM's feet to the fire. Let's get the car we want, the car GM needs to produce for the faithful.

I agree with you, and GM must to do better, but can we at least acknowledge that many C7's are being delivered without problems? That would help to get an accurate picture of the true size of the problems. We need all the information, good and bad, including the cars the C7 is being compared to.

NospdLimit 11-09-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Garret (Post 1585370963)
I can already see where this is going. You will get the car back and the fender will not match the door or the hood or something. If you have ever been in the C6 section you will no doubt know what I'm talking about. It sounds like your car should have never even left the plant. Way to go BG inspectors....

I hope it all works out in a positive way for you the first time.

I was going to comment the same thing! It would be better for them to try and repaint than to slap new panels on it that will not match!

VETTE-NV 11-09-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585390968)
I agree with you, and GM must to do better, but can we at least acknowledge that many C7's are being delivered without problems? That would help to get an accurate picture of the true size of the problems. We need all the information, good and bad, including the cars the C7 is being compared to.

I certainly hope many C7's are being delivered without problems, but after looking closely at 11 cars, with every single one having issues, I wonder if many of the buyers may not be so critical of the panel fitments or orange peel as some of us on this forum. After closely looking at these fitments, I really think there are parts that do not fit well do to improper measurements, casting, or molding. These flaws are not simple adjustments....at least not from what I've seen. These cars remind me of the panel alignment on my '79 L-82. I would like nothing better to find out that the 11 cars I saw are an aberration. I also wish Elvis were still alive.

DREAMERAK 11-09-2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585391053)
I certainly hope many C7's are being delivered without problems, but after looking closely at 11 cars, with every single one having issues, I wonder if many of the buyers may not be so critical of the panel fitments or orange peel as some of us on this forum. After closely looking at these fitments, I really think there are parts that do not fit well do to improper measurements, casting, or molding. These flaws are not simple adjustments....at least not from what I've seen. These cars remind me of the panel alignment on my '79 L-82. I would like nothing better to find out that the 11 cars I saw are an aberration. I also wish Elvis were still alive.

I have seen two C7's, both very recently, one at an auto show, it looked really good, but there were so many people around the car it was hard to judge the quality. The other was an unsold yellow 3 LT non Z51 at a dealership. It was a sunny day, parked outside, I took a lot of time going around and around the car, the orange peel was minimal and the panel fit was excellent. My biggest problem was with the salesman, wouldn't let anyone sit in it and had a smug attitude. Then there was the $10K markup, I thanked him for his time and moved on. I think the cars can and will be fixed, the dealerships are the real problem, IMO.

Joe B. 11-09-2013 09:52 PM

Statement from the J. D. Power report.

But she said several of the cars that scored particularly well on the quality survey are in their final year before a major redesign, including the Cadillac Esclade, Chevy Tahoe GMC Silverado and GMC Sierra. The new Chevy Impala is already out, but the survey was on the previous model.
Redesigned vehicles are important for building sales, but they can introduce new quality problems.

"It'll be important for them to launch their replacements well or they'll lose their No. 1 spot," she said.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-09-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585390906)
Not much of a cat. That was a typo...not an ignorant mistake...and at least I had the brains to fix it!! Take your (proper use of the word "your") thread back. You're (proper use of the word "you're) welcome to it.

BTW, I hope your car comes back in perfect condition. I'm sure it will with all the eyes that GM knows are on this. You'll probably have the best C7 yet built.:thumbs:

I think you know this, but I was just joking with you. And your brain worked quickly, I noticed. :lol: :thumbs:

Thanks for the well wishes! I really miss my C7 and can't wait for her steering wheel to be back in the clutches of my hands! :woohoo:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-09-2013 09:59 PM

After reading about the C7s several of you have seen personally, I just realized that I haven't seen a C7 besides mine since I was at Carlisle this year! Even my local dealership hasn't received their first C7 yet (but on Friday they did say it was at the rail yard).

Michael A 11-10-2013 01:08 AM

:iagree: I am happy for the people who are happy with the quality. However, they don't represent the potential buying pool. They are Corvette enthusiasts. I am already hearing from people who have seen the C7 who are not Corvette enthusiasts, and, unsolicited, the first thing they mention is the amount of orange peel. Next it's the fit. These are not people who go to Corvette Forum, and are clued into the quality problems. The car is already getting a bad reputation for quality, and, it's only been out a month!

This quality level might work in Detroit, but it isn't going to fly here in California with all the high end European and Japanese cars around here. People have higher standards.

They need to turn this around NOW!

Michael

VETTE-NV 11-10-2013 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585392244)
:iagree: I am happy for the people who are happy with the quality. However, they don't represent the potential buying pool. They are Corvette enthusiasts. I am already hearing from people who have seen the C7 who are not Corvette enthusiasts, and, unsolicited, the first thing they mention is the amount of orange peel. Next it's the fit. These are not people who go to Corvette Forum, and are clued into the quality problems. The car is already getting a bad reputation for quality, and, it's only been out a month!

This quality level might work in Detroit, but it isn't going to fly here in California with all the high end European and Japanese cars around here. People have higher standards.

They need to turn this around NOW!

Michael

Yes they do! :rock:

It seems as if most of the panel problems are associated with the front and rear fascias. I may be wrong, but isn't the company who produces these pieces the same company (Omega?) that released their self-promotion video that leaked the images long before the C7 reveal? Perhaps this is now a second reason for GM to be pissed off at them.
:yesnod:

bikevette 11-10-2013 02:37 AM

Paint issue caused by?

OK, standing by for incoming, but here it goes....

I've put in an order for a 2015. I'm a motorcycle guy, that has never owned a car faster than a pickup truck, (58 y/o), but my lifelong love of the Vette finally gave way. After reading about all the problems with "version 1.0", decided to wait for the bugs to get worked out, although a delay until next fall will be a long one.
So now for the sticky part. I swore after multiple bad experiences with American cars, I'd never buy anything else again other than a Toyota.
So much for that. But I sincerely believe - regarding the union assy. workers - that an entitlement mentality, complete lack of work ethic, and an "I'll get even with that SOB boss" and mess up a car on the assembly line is going to be the cause of a lot of problems, Corvette to minivan, matters not.
I've been in the AFL/CIO for 19 years, (airline pilot) so I know of what I speak. (No one sabotaging airplanes, but the attitudes are vile, base, naive, and class warfare riven.) If I have to bring the car back multiple times, so be it. My choice and I accept the risk.
PBS, not an anti-union outfit by any stretch of the imagination, showed a typical union shop employee in the paint shop, and she looked like she should have been pushing a shopping cart down skid row. Probably too long between her 5th and 6th coffee break.
It is what it is.

Guibo 11-10-2013 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by BERETTA (Post 1585383610)
Me too, I took a few photos at the museum but I don't have any good close ups like you have, I don't remember seeing any kind of issues like the ones in the photos you posted :ack:
The rear looks to fit very nicely here...

This is the key here. If you had close ups, or were paying attention specifically to the known problem areas, you'd see them as they are evident even on the pictures you posted.
http://s24.postimg.org/lpmoyh8wx/31_1.jpg

No, that's not a very nice fit on that rear.
http://s7.postimg.org/rez68w22j/31_2.jpg

I certainly hope many C7's are being delivered without problems, but after looking closely at 11 cars, with every single one having issues, I wonder if many of the buyers may not be so critical of the panel fitments or orange peel as some of us on this forum.

:yesnod: We're seeing that phenomenon in evidence in this very thread.

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585391179)
I have seen two C7's, both very recently, one at an auto show, it looked really good, but there were so many people around the car it was hard to judge the quality.

Which auto show was that? (You can PM me the answer if you don't want to say here.) And as I posted in the other thread, the yellow non-Z51 car doing the auto show rounds has both panel fit problems and orange peel (the ZL1 sharing the stage had no panel fit problems and hardly any orange peel at all). So did many of the cars at Carlisle. If you want a truly random sampling of cars, and not the "he said, he said" debate (in which VETTE-NV has done more than just talked and already posted pictures as evidence of his assertion), check the ones on ebay. I did that last week, and out of 25 cars for which somewhat decent pics were provided (all of them were low-res), these panel fit problems were evident on 23 of them, some of which also had other issues with paint or interior trim misalignment.
This is not about "taking the Corvette down a notch" at all. It's about recognizing that there are problems that are generally not seen as a whole on other cars, many of which cost far, far less. It's about voicing these concerns in light of GM's promise of delivering world-class quality, "meticulous selection and exacting placement of materials," their whole "Precision" tag line. When you adopt the "they're all like that" mentality, as you've done in multiple threads now, or shout down people like you've done here, it makes it less likely that others who have these problems will voice their concerns because, if they listen to you, they'll think all cars are like this. All cars most certainly are not.

VETTE-NV 11-10-2013 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585392425)
This is the key here. If you had close ups, or were paying attention specifically to the known problem areas, you'd see them as they are evident even on the pictures you posted.
http://s24.postimg.org/lpmoyh8wx/31_1.jpg

No, that's not a very nice fit on that rear.
http://s7.postimg.org/rez68w22j/31_2.jpg

:yesnod: We're seeing that phenomenon in evidence in this very thread.

Which auto show was that? (You can PM me the answer if you don't want to say here.) And as I posted in the other thread, the yellow non-Z51 car doing the auto show rounds has both panel fit problems and orange peel (the ZL1 sharing the stage had no panel fit problems and hardly any orange peel at all). So did many of the cars at Carlisle. If you want a truly random sampling of cars, and not the "he said, he said" debate (in which VETTE-NV has done more than just talked and already posted pictures as evidence of his assertion), check the ones on ebay. I did that last week, and out of 25 cars for which somewhat decent pics were provided (all of them were low-res), these panel fit problems were evident on 23 of them, some of which also had other issues with paint or interior trim misalignment.
This is not about "taking the Corvette down a notch" at all. It's about recognizing that there are problems that are generally not seen as a whole on other cars, many of which cost far, far less. It's about voicing these concerns in light of GM's promise of delivering world-class quality, "meticulous selection and exacting placement of materials," their whole "Precision" tag line. When you adopt the "they're all like that" mentality, as you've done in multiple threads now, or shout down people like you've done here, it makes it less likely that others who have these problems will voice their concerns because, if they listen to you, they'll think all cars are like this. All cars most certainly are not.

:iagree:The edge of the rear fascia protruding about 1/8" into the wheel well (red car above) has been present on every C7 I've seen....and it's not misaligned at the top where it joins the body. These pieces simply do not match the corresponding body panel against which they join. The part either needs to be remolded or each one trimmed before being painted. It's even more obvious in the photo of the white car I posted earlier in the thread. Just ridiculous.....and that's just one problem area.

Hirohawa 11-10-2013 04:10 AM

As much as I don't enjoy agreeing with Guibo the rear panel does seem to be a real problem area

There seems to be many fitment/alignment issues with the rear.

From another thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...103_131851.jpg

Totally unacceptable.

Not only is the bottom noticeably lower in the first pic but see the surface variation on the second pic. Metallic colors will really show this off too unfortunately. It looks like a repaint as the light refracts differently even though it should be the same. Reminds me of the surface variations on the C5 rear bumper as the transition to fiberglass to Urethane never quite mated smoothly.

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports (Post 1585315695)
Updated pic with the correct tires, lowered and a little better lighting.

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...e_shot%7E3.jpg

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb..._rear_shot.jpg

Hirohawa 11-10-2013 04:15 AM

Wow just went back a few pages. It looks like this is a major screw up. Are the bumpers really too long or is it just a fitment issue.

Can't believe they are delivering cars like this.

Just one more reason to redesign the rear end I guess.

VETTE-NV 11-10-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hirohawa (Post 1585392473)
Wow just went back a few pages. It looks like this is a major screw up. Are the bumpers really too long or is it just a fitment issue.

Can't believe they are delivering cars like this.

Just one more reason to redesign the rear end I guess.

I really think they are too long. Look at the pic of the grey car above. Even in the wide shot you can see the bumper is TOO LONG. Is this a damned kit car?? Some engineer/programmer either got the numbers wrong or did not account for shrinkage....or some such mistake. This is a ridiculous flaw in this age of digital precision, technology, and manufacturing.

I went to a few car dealers today (Porsche, Aston Martin, Mercedes, BMW) to size up my other possible options if the quality of the C7 does not improve. These cars are more expensive than the Vette, of course, but I could not find one misaligned panel and very little, if any orange peel. The more I see of the C7, the less I'm inclined to spend $70K for such poor workmanship.

C'mon GM.....get your act together so I can give YOU my money.

svtkeith 11-10-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585397644)
I really think they are too long. Look at the pic of the grey car above. Even in the wide shot you can see the bumper is TOO LONG. Is this a damned kit car?? Some engineer/programmer either got the numbers wrong or did not account for shrinkage....or some such mistake. This is a ridiculous flaw in this age of digital precision, technology, and manufacturing.

I went to a few car dealers today (Porsche, Aston Martin, Mercedes, BMW) to size up my other possible options if the quality of the C7 does not improve. These cars are more expensive than the Vette, of course, but I could not find one misaligned panel and very little, if any orange peel. The more I see of the C7, the less I'm inclined to spend $70K for such poor workmanship.

That's what has to happen here is people stop buying the cars like this when they can't sell them I'll bet they'll fix the problem real quick!!..I agree this is not acceptable not only in Cali but in North America period.

DREAMERAK 11-10-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585397644)

The Jaguar F type V8S Coupe will be debuting soon. a well equipped one should be around 95k much less than a P or of course AM.

SD1 11-10-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585398141)
The Jaguar F type V8S Coupe will be debuting soon. a well equipped one should be around 95k much less than a P or of course AM.

While this car has some respectable numbers wait till you see one. I checked out a drop top awhile ago, reeallllyyyy disappointed.

These are small misalignments and color variations but I agree with the majority, pretty hard to justify in this price range. Not to bring up a really well beaten and decaying body, but I can see where little **** like this makes Pcars hard to pass up when picking best ofs despite performing slightly under the Vette.

Anyone in sales will tell you 50% of any deal is what you see and NOTHING more.

DREAMERAK 11-10-2013 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by SD1 (Post 1585398342)
While this car has some respectable numbers wait till you see one. I checked out a drop top awhile ago, reeallllyyyy disappointed.

These are small misalignments and color variations but I agree with the majority, pretty hard to justify in this price range. Not to bring up a really well beaten and decaying body, but I can see where little **** like this makes Pcars hard to pass up when picking best ofs despite performing slightly under the Vette.

Anyone in sales will tell you 50% of any deal is what you see and NOTHING more.

I saw a Jag f at an auto show looked ok i thought, would rather have the C7, and the 911S with all the needed go fast bits, plus a few other must have options is at least $125K. not sure it's really worth the extra $55+K

bikevette 11-11-2013 12:42 AM

So why all the problems?

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK (Post 1585398408)
I saw a Jag f at an auto show looked ok i thought, would rather have the C7, and the 911S with all the needed go fast bits, plus a few other must have options is at least $125K. not sure it's really worth the extra $55+K

So why don't foreign cars made in the U.S. in the South have all these quality issues? Workers at these factories have a work ethic and care about the product they have a hand in producing, and don't feel entitled, and aren't full of hatred and class warfare? Hhhhmmmmmm...........

Nancy Reagan would say: "Just say no to unions." Corvette has a great history, and I'm going to buy one. But I'm under no illusions that, quoting many of the comments above, the problem is "GMs", as in GM management, not the workers. No matter how hard management tries, they're not going to change anything while assembly line workers are out on lunch break getting toasted. If you don't believe me, google it on youtube.

VETTE-NV 11-11-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by WingCon (Post 1585399220)
So why don't foreign cars made in the U.S. in the South have all these quality issues? Workers at these factories have a work ethic and care about the product they have a hand in producing, and don't feel entitled, and aren't full of hatred and class warfare? Hhhhmmmmmm...........

Nancy Reagan would say: "Just say no to unions." Corvette has a great history, and I'm going to buy one. But I'm under no illusions that, quoting many of the comments above, the problem is "GMs", as in GM management, not the workers. No matter how hard management tries, they're not going to change anything while assembly line workers are out on lunch break getting toasted. If you don't believe me, google it on youtube.

Whether or not you're right or wrong, I must say that the video that's been floating around showing the car being built is far from inspiring. I don't think I've ever seen a more bored group of workers. The actual robots had more life to them than the humans. I'm not expecting assembly line workers to be doing the moonwalk, but they had to know the camera was on them.....at least ACT like you give a $hit. I'd be very surprised if GM's public relations department approved of this video.

rcallen484 11-11-2013 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585399288)
Whether or not you're right or wrong, I must say that the video that's been floating around showing the car being built is far from inspiring. I don't think I've ever seen a more bored group of workers. The actual robots had more life to them than the humans. I'm not expecting assembly line workers to be doing the moonwalk, but they had to know the camera was on them.....at least ACT like you give a $hit. I'd be very surprised if GM's public relations department approved of this video.

Now you are REALLY stretching it... that is just absolutely silly :lol: :lol: :lol: Complaining about YOUR PERCEPTION of the attitude of the BG workers based on that video. :crazy: :crazy2:

VETTE-NV 11-11-2013 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1585399296)
Now you are REALLY stretching it... that is just absolutely silly :lol: :lol: :lol: Complaining about YOUR PERCEPTION of the attitude of the BG workers based on that video. :crazy: :crazy2:

You don't have to Fellini to see apathy in the video. If that video instills confidence and inspires you to buy a Corvette, I want some of what you're smoking.

bikevette 11-11-2013 01:16 PM

I agree. I may be right or I may be wrong, but it is what it is. If I hadn't spent the last 19 years in ALPA (Airline Pilot's Association which is part of the AFL/CIO) I might not be so cognizant of these attitudes. And if college or graduate school educated airline pilots harbor these attitudes, can you just imagine what goes on on an assembly line with people who probably never should have graduated from high school? I just hope when I get my 2015 next fall, that there's enough oversite and robotics involved. Please! :toetap:

bikevette 11-11-2013 01:23 PM

Not just based on a video

My perception is not just based on that video, it's based on 19 years in the AFL/CIO. I live in the belly of the beast, and am well aware of union inspired attitudes. A knee jerk anti-management approach, an entitlement philosophy, work to the absolute minimum required, and an unflinching support for a political party and the NLRB, which perpetuates this attitude in a never ending circle of elect and support.

I fully realize that I'm coming across as hypocritical as I'm going to buy one of these cars, and that's a fair statement, and I don't disagree. It's just a decision I've made since I love the history of this car, and hopefully there's enough robotics involved to alleviate the above. If I have to take it back a couple times, so be it.

R&L's C6 11-11-2013 04:54 PM

Why are people getting down on the Bowling Green workers? Most all the problems reported have nothing to do with the them. Most all the paint issues are from robotics. The rear panel being slightly too long, not the line workers fault. The electronic problems, not the line workers fault. Lots of blame being put on people who have absolutely no say in most of these matters.

bikevette 11-11-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585404093)
Why are people getting down on the Bowling Green workers? Most all the problems reported have nothing to do with the them. Most all the paint issues are from robotics. The rear panel being slightly too long, not the line workers fault. The electronic problems, not the line workers fault. Lots of blame being put on people who have absolutely no say in most of these matters.

Your specifics may be true. However, coming from a long time union member, the majority of these workers will do the absolute minimum, and even deliberately sabotage vehicles just to "get back at the man", despite their way over market wages and benefits that have broken many car companies in the past. (Along with any bad management decisions to be fair.)

Why are foreign cars, whether made here by non-union workers or overseas always come out with far higher quality ratings by non-biased periodicals that accept no advertising? Everything from Consumer Reports to Motorcycle Consumer News.

R&L's C6 11-11-2013 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by WingCon (Post 1585404206)
Your specifics may be true. However, coming from a long time union member, the majority of these workers will do the absolute minimum, and even deliberately sabotage vehicles just to "get back at the man", despite their way over market wages and benefits that have broken many car companies in the past. (Along with any bad management decisions to be fair.)

Why are foreign cars, whether made here by non-union workers or overseas always come out with far higher quality ratings by non-biased periodicals that accept no advertising? Everything from Consumer Reports to Motorcycle Consumer News.

What makes up those quality and reliability ratings? Most all the parts on most cars are manufactured by non union workers (which are what fail and give the poor ratings to begin with). Lots of generalized Bull$h!t being thrown at the Bowling Green assembly line workers in this thread with absolutely zero proof any of them are to blame.

VETTE-NV 11-11-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585404319)
What makes up those quality and reliability ratings? Most all the parts on most cars are manufactured by non union workers (which are what fail and give the poor ratings to begin with). Lots of generalized Bull$h!t being thrown at the Bowling Green assembly line workers in this thread with absolutely zero proof any of them are to blame.

It seems to me that if a worker attaches a panel that does not fit correctly, they should point this out to their supervisor and the problem would be addressed.....if they care enough to do so, that is. With 6000+ cars now out of the factory, they might have a lot of ground to make up if many of the cars have similar issues.

I do agree that the workers are not ultimately at fault here....it's the final QC division that lets these cars escape.

bikevette 11-11-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585404319)

If they care enough to do so is the key word as to the above post also. As to non-union workers being responsible for bad parts, as to the comment in the post above, so where is your proof for that. I mentioned that I've spent 19 years in the AFL/CIO. I'm not imagining these attitudes. They're endemic. Believe me or not. Your choice.

Take a look at videos of assy. line workers deliberately throwing nuts in a door panel to make it rattle, and other assy. line workers on their lunch break being caught smoking dope and drinking beer. There's your proof. Could this happen in a Toyota plant? Possibly. But they wouldn't have been rehired due to union lawyers and management handcuffed by these ridiculous contracts.

GM workers up until the bankruptcy when not needed on the assy. line were doing crossword puzzles on full pay in what was called a job bank. Does anyone think this wouldn't be the case if it wasn't for the chapter 11?

Remember Hostess twinkies. (Now back non-union.) Contract required two people and separate delivery trucks for food vs. other supplies to unload. One person standing around on full pay while the other one unloaded. Why would autoworkers under the same types of contracts be any different?

Guibo 11-11-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by WingCon (Post 1585399220)
No matter how hard management tries, they're not going to change anything while assembly line workers are out on lunch break getting toasted.

Part of it is the work ethic instilled in these US workers, taken from policies and practices in the home country. For instance, the X3 that is built in Spartanburg:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...JuQ6d1q8_ZQPuQ

Observe that the car, just as in Europe, has a padded protection mat placed on the body panel, to reduce risks of scratches. While this worker doesn't wear the overalls his German counterpart does, he still wears a "uniform" consisting of polos and khakis, which almost every line worker wears; no jeans with rivets.
It's not just the presence of unions, but the nature of that relationship which can make all the difference. In Germany, the unions are very powerful, with the kinds of vacation time and benefits their American counterparts generally don't have. They are granted these benefits in exchange for knowing that they must make concessions to management when times are bad. Management, for its part will work with the union concessions to wages/benefits in exchange for more job security during such times, and is generally accomodating to the needs of its workforce. BMW, for instance, realized that it needed to retain skilled, older workers, so it had to make changes. It has a program and part of the plant designed around older workers, a slower pace than the normal line, physiotherapists on the production floor, and even quiet resting stations:
http://static.ibnlive.in.com/pix/sli...ide/bmw3_3.jpg
Management may have high quality standards, but the workers take this, as well as the work atmosphere, as points of pride. It's a more cohesive, mutually beneficial relationship, rather than the adversarial one we see in the States.

bikevette 11-11-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585405169)
Part of it is the work ethic instilled in these US workers, taken from policies and practices in the home country. For instance, the X3 that is built in Spartanburg:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...JuQ6d1q8_ZQPuQ

It's not just the presence of unions, but the nature of that relationship which can make all the difference. In Germany, the unions are very powerful, with the kinds of vacation time and benefits their American counterparts generally don't have. They are granted these benefits in exchange for knowing that they must make concessions to management when times are bad. Management, for its part will work with the union concessions to wages/benefits in exchange for more job security during such times, and is generally accomodating to the needs of its workforce. BMW, for instance, realized that it needed to retain skilled, older workers, so it had to make changes. It has a program and part of the plant designed around older workers, a slower pace than the normal line, physiotherapists on the production floor, and even quiet resting stations:
http://static.ibnlive.in.com/pix/sli...ide/bmw3_3.jpg
Management may have high quality standards, but the workers take this, as well as the work atmosphere, as points of pride. It's a more cohesive, mutually beneficial relationship, rather than the adversarial one we see in the States.

I agree. Points of pride, mutually beneficial etc. I would still have a beef with $80/hour essentially unskilled (for many jobs, not all) workers plus huge benefits. These are not market wages and add dramatically to the price of a car, which of course reduces the amount of sales, and the health of a company. My wife has been a nurse for 42 years, is highly experiences and skilled, and makes $50/hour. It's her choice, and she says she's not entitled to any wage she's not willing to work for.
As long as Trumka types are running the show, there's no hope.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-13-2013 12:13 PM

UPDATE! I just received an email from OnStar detailing my C7's diagnostic report. It shows 1995 miles on the car as of today. I loaded it onto the trailer with 1990 miles. Hopefully those 5 miles include taking it inside the factory, all repairs, and putting it back on a truck to send to back to me! :thumbs:

#1c6 11-13-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585419491)
UPDATE! I just received an email from OnStar detailing my C7's diagnostic report. It shows 1995 miles on the car as of today. I loaded it onto the trailer with 1990 miles. Hopefully those 5 miles include taking it inside the factory, all repairs, and putting it back on a truck to send to back to me! :thumbs:

i hope it all goes well, post lots of pics when you get it back! i have a v/y z51 on order and love looking at pics while im waiting:willy:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-13-2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by #1c6 (Post 1585419922)
i hope it all goes well, post lots of pics when you get it back! i have a v/y z51 on order and love looking at pics while im waiting:willy:

Will do! :thumbs:

Bill Dearborn 11-13-2013 01:16 PM

What you see in a video doesn't show you anything about quality or how the workers feel. Just like the videos shown of riots it doesn't show you what else is going on outside the field of view of the camera. It is very easy to get a wrong perception of what is going on from a video. A picture is worth a thousand words except when it isn't.

Bill

VETTE-NV 11-13-2013 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1585420011)

What you see in a video doesn't show you anything about quality or how the workers feel. Just like the videos shown of riots it doesn't show you what else is going on outside the field of view of the camera. It is very easy to get a wrong perception of what is going on from a video. A picture is worth a thousand words except when it isn't.

Bill

I see nothing!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: