CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3365606-paint-runs-on-doors-the-rest-of-the-story-from-pickup-to-re-delivery.html)

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-28-2013 09:54 PM

Paint runs on doors...the rest of the story (from pickup to re-delivery)

VIN 1786...original paint thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...the-doors.html

At 2:30 p.m. today, I received a phone call from from my local service manager telling me the car hauler had arrived to pick up my Corvette for it's trip back to Bowling Green. I left work and headed home to pick her up and take her to the dealership.

When I arrived, the service manager met me immediately and began marking the places on the car that need attention (using a pink highlighter). As a point of information, several additional paint and fitment issues have been discovered since I first posted photos of the paint runs on the doors, and all of these were marked today. Both the service manager and I took photos of all of the places that were marked.

From here, I drove my new Corvette out of the service bay and to the back lot where the car hauler awaited my arrival. I got out of the car and the truck driver very carefully and meticulously drove my Corvette up the ramps and onto the trailer. He even got out of the car once he had it on the ramps to check the front air dam clearance since the cars aren't initially shipped with the front air dams attached. I was impressed with the care he showed as he drove the car onto the trailer and then secured the straps over each wheel.

The driver had most recently delivered a load of Corvettes to the East Coast and was dispatched to pick mine up on the way back to Bowling Green for his next load of Corvettes. Mine will be the only car on his trailer all the way back to the factory. The driver told me that he plans to arrive in Bowling Green as early as Tuesday evening, or Wednesday at the latest.

My service manager told me that he expects my Corvette to be returned to me in approximately three weeks. I really wish it didn't have to be gone at all, but I couldn't ask for a better service experience so far at every point, from my local dealership to my interaction with Chevrolet Customer Care and all the way up to the Corvette plant management team.

By the way, upper levels of management have described the paint issues I have as the worse they have seen. While there are a few threads on this forum regarding various paint issues, there are far more posts about cars with virtually perfect fit and finish. Personally, after all I have have learned through this process, I would not hesitate to order another 2014 Corvette. If I had the money right now, I would honestly place an order for a convertible! :drool:

As I have information from the plant, I will update this thread. Management in Bowling Green plans to do some things to compensate me for the inconvenience of not having my Corvette for several weeks while it is being repaired and to make up for the fact that I had issues to begin with. I do not yet know everything that they will do, but I expect that it will be every bit as generous as their treatment of me has been thus far.

And now, I eagerly await the return of my Corvette! :thumbs:

A few photos and a video from today...

http://s5.postimg.org/a2330mr9j/IMG_1937.jpg

http://s5.postimg.org/uc0efrsef/IMG_1941.jpg

http://s5.postimg.org/579e2csxz/IMG_1942.jpg

http://s5.postimg.org/kh999jog7/IMG_1943.jpg

MikeyTX 10-28-2013 10:25 PM

:D Wonder if the temp tag will stay on all the way to B G ?

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-28-2013 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyTX (Post 1585292118)
:D Wonder if the temp tag will stay on all the way to B G ?

:lol: Well, it stayed on all the way from Virginia to Oklahoma when I picked it up and drove it back. :thumbs:

runutzzzzz 10-28-2013 10:31 PM

I think I would have just had them build me a new car.

Maybe you'll get a free CF roof!

BlueOx 10-28-2013 10:32 PM

So where are these paint repairs being made exactly? And by whom? I mean, they can't run these through the line again so they have a 'repair shop'?

rexracerx9 10-28-2013 10:38 PM

Best of luck to you!

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-28-2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz (Post 1585292162)
I think I would have just had them build me a new car.

Maybe you'll get a free CF roof!

So far, the only non-negotiable that I have asked for on my part is that they not repaint any part of the car. This may actually require an entire re-skinning, so to speak, and I will be happy with this as long as the car returns in as good or better condition as one would expect when taking delivery of a brand new vehicle. In the end, they may decide to simply deliver a new car, but if they can correct the problems with mine, I will be quite pleased. :thumbs:

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1585292176)
So where are these paint repairs being made exactly? And by whom? I mean, they can't run these through the line again so they have a 'repair shop'?

I'm not actually sure about their processes. I do know that the car is going back to the plant at Bowling Green. If they strip the exterior of the car, I would think they would be able to run it through the body assembly line again, but then again, I do not know much about the manufacturing process. I do know that some of Bowling Green's top brass is involved in the process of my repairs and I would bet money that when my Corvette leaves the plant it will have been meticulously scrutinized. :cheers:

Originally Posted by rexracerx9 (Post 1585292222)
Best of luck to you!

Thanks! :)

mpuzach 10-28-2013 10:45 PM

Wow, that sounds like a pretty darned great response by G.M. IMO. While it's unfortunate that your car experienced the problems, it's good to see that G.M. stepped up in the manner they did. I think you can be assured that your car will be perfect when you get it back. Nice job by all. :cheers:

MHFontaine 10-28-2013 10:45 PM

Just curious, what was your VIN?

Good luck !

C8Jake 10-28-2013 10:46 PM

Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!

BlueOx 10-28-2013 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585292235)
So far, the only non-negotiable that I have asked for on my part is that they not repaint any part of the car. This may actually require an entire re-skinning, so to speak, and I will be happy with this as long as the car returns in as good or better condition as one would expect when taking delivery of a brand new vehicle. In the end, they may decide to simply deliver a new car, but if they can correct the problems with mine, I will be quite pleased.

I don't see what's wrong with a repaint. I can't imagine GM setting a precedence like a new car. Re-skin maybe.

mpuzach 10-28-2013 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by gmwindsor (Post 1585292292)
Ridiculous that BG paint inspection let it sail and that it is being sent back. They should build you a new car & deliver it to your driveway. I'd be livid!

Why would you be livid? They're going to make his car perfect and get it back to him in a fraction of the time it would take to build and deliver a replacement. they could have just as easily let the dealer fix the problems under warranty but instead they chose to handle everything at the plant which will almost certainly result in a better outcome. I'd say that G.M. is doing the right thing here.

MHFontaine 10-28-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by MHFontaine (Post 1585292288)
Just curious, what was your VIN? Good luck !

Never mind...I see it now.

3 Z06ZR1 10-28-2013 11:02 PM

:iagree: Should have just replaced the car! What the about the 3 weeks down which likely will be more! A little CASH back?

fasttoys 10-28-2013 11:03 PM

After work today I was going to cancel my C7 order and wait it out or decide to purchase another European car. Its been a long time since I owned a GM product. The GM response to your problem made me decide to allow my order to be placed this coming Tuesday. Way to step it up GM and take responsibility for your mistake :flag::cheers:

3 Z06ZR1 10-28-2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1585292331)
I don't see what's wrong with a repaint. I can't imagine GM setting a precedence like a new car. Re-skin maybe.

Won't they just replace the affected parts hood, fender with a nre yellow part or whatever?
Don't see them spraying any part on the car! :leaving:

#1c6 10-28-2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585292345)
Why would you be livid? They're going to make his car perfect and get it back to him in a fraction of the time it would take to build and deliver a replacement. they could have just as easily let the dealer fix the problems under warranty but instead they chose to handle everything at the plant which will almost certainly result in a better outcome. I'd say that G.M. is doing the right thing here.

if bowling green was doing the right thing the car would had never left the plant!!

proexpert 10-28-2013 11:09 PM

That is an incredible story, way to go GM.
Good luck to the OP, hope you get your car back soon.

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-28-2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585292286)
Wow, that sounds like a pretty darned great response by G.M. IMO. While it's unfortunate that your car experienced the problems, it's good to see that G.M. stepped up in the manner they did. I think you can be assured that your car will be perfect when you get it back. Nice job by all. :cheers:

I think their response has been tremendous! :cheers:

My main concern with a repaint would be the potential evidence of a repaint, which would be a red flag to a potential buyer whenever I decide to sell it, or even the possibility of losing a potential buyer because of it. Another concern is the longevity of the paint if the car is resprayed. Will it hold up as long as an original painted car would? I do not know, but it is a concern, which would seem to be hard to test at this point. I don't expect GM to send me a new car, but I do think it's not out of the realm of possibilities. My local service manager thought they might do that initially and thinks they still may do that. A gentleman had an issue with the paint on his 2011 Corvette and instead of repainting the car, they actually replaced the exterior of the car. This would be the most satisfactory solution in my opinion.

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585292345)

:thumbs: But I can understand someone being upset about a situation like this. I just choose not to be livid...I don't need the stress in my life. :)

Originally Posted by MHFontaine (Post 1585292356)
Never mind...I see it now.

:cheers:

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-28-2013 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08 (Post 1585292411)
:iagree: Should have just replaced the car! What the about the 3 weeks down which likely will be more! A little CASH back?

There is consideration being given to this. :thumbs:

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585292421)
After work today I was going to cancel my C7 order and wait it out or decide to purchase another European car. Its been a long time since I owned a GM product. The GM response to your problem made me decide to allow my order to be placed this coming Tuesday. Way to step it up GM and take responsibility for your mistake :flag::cheers:

I support your decision 100%...GM will stand behind your purchase! :cheers:

Originally Posted by #1c6 (Post 1585292439)
if bowling green was doing the right thing the car would had never left the plant!!

In a perfect world, yes, this would be true. But since we do not live in a perfect world, as long as they are doing what is necessary to prohibit these kinds of issues from taking place in the future, and are making things right for those having issues, my opinion is that they are indeed doing the right thing. :cheers:

Originally Posted by proexpert (Post 1585292463)
That is an incredible story, way to go GM.
Good luck to the OP, hope you get your car back soon.

Thanks! Me too! :yesnod:

KingMotley 10-28-2013 11:34 PM

With all those paint issues I can't imagine that they would even try and do a repaint. It would be quicker just to strip her naked and put on all new pretty clothes. GM can save the old clothes for a test vehicle, put them on some movie car they are about to smash up, or more crash testing.

Crossed Flags Fan 10-28-2013 11:52 PM

Maybe not exactly livid, but waiting 3 weeks, after I already paid for it?

Precedence's been set. Chevy's done it in the last month for at least one Camaro with paint issues and at least one Vette with mechanical issues.

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-29-2013 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by KingMotley (Post 1585292638)
With all those paint issues I can't imagine that they would even try and do a repaint. It would be quicker just to strip her naked and put on all new pretty clothes. GM can save the old clothes for a test vehicle, put them on some movie car they are about to smash up, or more crash testing.

My service manager said they would likely want to keep the parts with issues for testing so they can properly evaluate why there were issues in the first place. :thumbs:

KaKruisin 10-29-2013 02:08 AM

Nice to see them step up and do the right thing. I am sure they are getting the message about these paint issues. I picked my car up at the Museum last week, and after reading about some of these issues, I inspected the paint very carefully - fortunately the paint on my car looks good. I hope that you are happy with the results, and I suspect that your case will make a difference for future Corvette buyers.

Red Lightening 10-29-2013 02:14 AM

It won't be a paint repair they will replace ALL of the body panels with issues.

Red Lightening 10-29-2013 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by KingMotley (Post 1585292638)

Yes this is what they will do.

mark1107 10-29-2013 02:26 AM

Awesome of GM. I'm happy for you.

VETTE-NV 10-29-2013 02:33 AM

It's great to see GM stepping up and doing the right thing. Not to say they wouldn't do this regardless, but with the power of the internet....the whole world is watching....they sort of HAVE TO.

I'm sure your car will be perfect when you finally get it back. :thumbs:

D nice 10-29-2013 06:52 AM

I saw my first c7 in person last Sunday at a car show...A dealer display.

Several paint issues jumped out at me...
-heavy build up on edges of body panels + 1/16" to 3/32"(I guess clear)
-very heavy orange peal...you can tell where some of it was knocked down and buffed out...but only the areas that were convenient. Front quarters by stingray logo was the heaviest orange peel I have ever seen on a new car!

-This car also had body panels way out of alignment...1/8-3/16 deflection in body lines from one panel to another. Rear bumper skin had gap issues...probably measured 3/16" to 3/8". A-pillar and roof transitions had 1/8" + deflections in edge lines.

My wife and I were very surprised at the obvious lack of QC at GM. We both agreed that it looked like a prototype or kit car. I am sure they will work out the bugs...and cant wait for the wide body version!!:rock:

Reminds me of a new Golf course that I worked at in College. It opened 3 or 4 months too soon...the grass was not ready, and players were pissed when they got finished. :ack:

Adrian-S 10-29-2013 07:38 AM

Good job to GM for going the extra mile to make it right!

-adrian

red2012 10-29-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Adrian-S (Post 1585293684)
Good job to GM for going the extra mile to make it right!

-adrian

BS. If they went the extra mile in QC like they should have the op wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. GM is only sorry now because they got caught!

isdnews 10-29-2013 08:26 AM

WOW, Jagamaetc.etc...... the GM response is, indeed, extremely impressive. They're definitely doing the right thing by you, and that's what matters. And you've got the right attitude about it, too.

It's really encouraging to read this - both their corporate response to the issues, and your response to the problems and the way the company is handling it.

I'm fortunate to have been one of the ones with the 'perfect paint and fit/finish' on my car. I'm sorry it wasn't that way for you - but it will be "all good" within a matter of weeks.

Red Lightening 10-29-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1585293723)
BS. If they went the extra mile in QC like they should have the op wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. GM is only sorry now because they got caught!

:iagree: honestly GM should just build him a replacement car and call it a day. He should be left to drive this one until the new one can be built, then take the old one back fix it and run it through the GM auction. He shouldn't be with out his Corvette for any weeks period. It's a shame GM can't get its act together and do it right from the start.

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-29-2013 09:16 AM

I appreciate the comments. Since I haven't disclosed all that GM has indicated they plan to do for me, suffice it to say that I am okay with not having my new Corvette to drive for a few weeks. If I have to have a new car, that will be okay, too. I would, however, prefer to keep the car I have because 1) it's already broken in, and 2) It is a lower VIN than I would have otherwise. But if they do decide to just build another car for me, I will be happy with that as well. :thumbs:

SD1 10-29-2013 09:33 AM

Nothing impressive at all about this situation unless you are impressed with incompetence.

<<427_V8>> 10-29-2013 10:01 AM

It's amazing you guys think GM is doing anything above and beyond - this is what should be expected of any car company at a minimum. They are completely inconveniencing their customers and then worst of all - there's no guarantee that the issue won't be on the next car.

They should let him keep his car until they can deliver a flawless new car to him - it's simple.

Turbooo2u 10-29-2013 10:19 AM

:iagree:I can't believe you have to be without your new car for an extended length of time. :(

Shodanusmc 10-29-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by SD1 (Post 1585294305)
Nothing impressive at all about this situation unless you are impressed with incompetence.

If they really wanted to do the right thing, they should give him a new car with a deep discount. I would not want a repaint or a rebuild.

KenHorse 10-29-2013 11:09 AM

Anyone keeping track of the color(s) that have major paint flaws?

Seems to be a LOT of VY involved

VETTE-NV 10-29-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585294175)
I appreciate the comments. Since I haven't disclosed all that GM has indicated they plan to do for me, suffice it to say that I am okay with not having my new Corvette to drive for a few weeks. If I have to have a new car, that will be okay, too. I would, however, prefer to keep the car I have because 1) it's already broken in, and 2) It is a lower VIN than I would have otherwise. But if they do decide to just build another car for me, I will be happy with that as well. :thumbs:

Just curious: why the secrecy? Has GM asked you not to disclose what they plan to do for you? As far a s having a low VIN, I'm not sure that's such a great thing to have if issues with the early cars continue.

rexracerx9 10-29-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585296149)
Just curious: why the secrecy? Has GM asked you not to disclose what they plan to do for you? As far a s having a low VIN, I'm not sure that's such a great thing to have if issues with the early cars continue.

It's common to have a non disclosure for buy back for any car company.

slow-v6 10-29-2013 02:25 PM

I understand electrical issues and what not with a brand new car, but paint issues like the ones that have been blasted on here is not right. Gm has been painting Corvettes for how long now? Its a disgrace. I sat through all the GM sessions @ Carlise with the C7 people from GM and they said they take great pride in the C7 team and that every section of every Corvette is checked and checked again before it leaves the plant!

Good luck to you and you have much more patience then I would have after dropping that kind of money on a new Vette.

VETTE-NV 10-29-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by rexracerx9 (Post 1585296286)
It's common to have a non disclosure for buy back for any car company.

I wasn't aware that this was a buy back.

quick04Z06 10-29-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585296763)

Well....now you probably know.

Michael A 10-29-2013 04:10 PM

Agree it is ridiculous they let this go out of the plant this way. However, I would rather have them take it back and re-skin it, rather than a new car. A new car could have other issues, or even the same ones. If it goes back to the plant, you can be pretty well assured, it will be in tip top shape when he gets it back. I would assume they would go over the car with a fine tooth comb, and it would be like getting a hand built car.

Michael

JJC5 10-29-2013 04:40 PM

This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.

Red08 10-29-2013 04:47 PM

Was it eventually covered up for the trip to BG? I know they have protective covers on them when delivered to the dealer.

R&L's C6 10-29-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1585297423)
This thread is a perfect example of no matter how well GM steps up to the plate, it's never good enough for some people. The OP seems fine with it. Mistakes happen and will always happen and in this case, it's being taken care of.

:iagree:

His car will come back PERFECT, guaranteed. ;)

00247 10-29-2013 04:58 PM

I wonder how much difference the internet played in the response by GM. In pre-internet days all one could do is hope your dealer would go to bat for you. If you could not get satisfaction, you could write a letter, or battle your way through the lemon laws. Some repainting of body panels would be the best you could hope for. Today, with the power of the internet, and forums like this one, a single customer can get the attention of the top brass of a manufacturer. Of course the fact that there are a number of paint and other issues has GM paying close attention to the problems of it's new flagship car. I feel for the OP, he is a more patient man than I am.

craig04c5 10-29-2013 05:03 PM

I am happy you are getting these issues resolved. Good for GM for doing the right thing.

Rapid Fred 10-29-2013 05:18 PM

I think most objective followers agree GM is trying to do right by the OP, but "mistakes happen?" Most objective posters should be amazed at HOW MANY mistakes had to "happen" for the OP to be presented with such a slipshod product.

Let's all hope it was just a real bad day at BG. :eek:

Gambit 10-29-2013 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585292235)
So far, the only non-negotiable that I have asked for on my part is that they not repaint any part of the car. This may actually require an entire re-skinning, so to speak, and I will be happy with this as long as the car returns in as good or better condition as one would expect when taking delivery of a brand new vehicle. In the end, they may decide to simply deliver a new car, but if they can correct the problems with mine, I will be quite pleased. :thumbs:

I'm not actually sure about their processes. I do know that the car is going back to the plant at Bowling Green. If they strip the exterior of the car, I would think they would be able to run it through the body assembly line again, but then again, I do not know much about the manufacturing process. I do know that some of Bowling Green's top brass is involved in the process of my repairs and I would bet money that when my Corvette leaves the plant it will have been meticulously scrutinized. :cheers:

Thanks! :)

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585292485)
I think their response has been tremendous! :cheers:

My main concern with a repaint would be the potential evidence of a repaint, which would be a red flag to a potential buyer whenever I decide to sell it, or even the possibility of losing a potential buyer because of it. Another concern is the longevity of the paint if the car is resprayed. Will it hold up as long as an original painted car would? I do not know, but it is a concern, which would seem to be hard to test at this point. I don't expect GM to send me a new car, but I do think it's not out of the realm of possibilities. My local service manager thought they might do that initially and thinks they still may do that. A gentleman had an issue with the paint on his 2011 Corvette and instead of repainting the car, they actually replaced the exterior of the car. This would be the most satisfactory solution in my opinion.

:thumbs: But I can understand someone being upset about a situation like this. I just choose not to be livid...I don't need the stress in my life. :)

:cheers:

Typical process for rejects that don't have substrate issues is to rework the defect and repaint. Every manufacturer does this and you are allowed to repaint a part 2 more times (3 total).

When done correctly you can't tell the part is repainted. In fact it may even look better because repainted parts typically have better (less) orange peel.

The only sure fire way to know is to take a film build reading.

thirtythird 10-29-2013 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1585293723)

kvmontgomery 10-29-2013 07:56 PM

This is an awesome post! Congrats to GM for standing by their product!!!
Thea VY C7 still looks awesome going onto the truck, warts and all!!!!!!!!!!!!

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-29-2013 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u (Post 1585294670)
:iagree:I can't believe you have to be without your new car for an extended length of time. :(

It sucked seeing it being hauled away yesterday afternoon because I've been enjoying it so much...the attention the new Corvette commands has been incredible. But I know she'll be back as soon as possible...and better than ever!

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585296149)

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585296763)

First, it's not a buy back, at least not at this point. There are many things still up in the air, so I'm not being secretive, but rather just sharing information that I know to be absolute fact. Thanks for asking though. :cheers:

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1585297194)
I would assume they would go over the car with a fine tooth comb, and it would be like getting a hand built car.
Michael

This is what I am hoping for! :thumbs:

Originally Posted by Red08 (Post 1585297485)
Was it eventually covered up for the trip to BG? I know they have protective covers on them when delivered to the dealer.

They did not cover it for the return trip. Not a big deal to me with all that needs to be done. And even though I took the cover to the dealership as requested, I don't think it could be properly covered with the old cover anyway.

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585297529)

Pretty much how I feel about the entire situation. Would I have preferred to not go through this situation at all? Absolutely! Am I content with the process with GM and Bowling Green so far. Absolutely! :)

Originally Posted by 00247 (Post 1585297550)
I wonder how much difference the internet played in the response by GM. In pre-internet days all one could do is hope your dealer would go to bat for you. If you could not get satisfaction, you could write a letter, or battle your way through the lemon laws. Some repainting of body panels would be the best you could hope for. Today, with the power of the internet, and forums like this one, a single customer can get the attention of the top brass of a manufacturer. Of course the fact that there are a number of paint and other issues has GM paying close attention to the problems of it's new flagship car. I feel for the OP, he is a more patient man than I am.

I wondered the same thing until I learned that another Corvette had been taken back to the factory in the last couple of weeks and that Corvette hasn't been discussed online at all. That suggests to me that GM's culture isn't just reactionary to what goes on on the internet. And that is a good thing. :thumbs:

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 1585298397)
Typical process for rejects that don't have substrate issues is to rework the defect and repaint. Every manufacturer does this and you are allowed to repaint a part 2 more times (3 total).

When done correctly you can't tell the part is repainted. In fact it may even look better because repainted parts typically have better (less) orange peel.

The only sure fire way to know is to take a film build reading.

Good information, friend. Thank you!

Originally Posted by kvmontgomery (Post 1585298981)
This is an awesome post! Congrats to GM for standing by their product!!!
Thea VY C7 still looks awesome going onto the truck, warts and all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Fortunately, they are removable warts! :)

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-31-2013 09:26 PM

I'm seriously missing my Corvette! Don't want them to rush it through, but I'll be glad when it's back!

ZL-1 10-31-2013 10:06 PM

After being around car dealers most of my life I've seen cars of various brands arrive with unacceptable paint, my own included . It usually gets corrected locally. My initial impression here was that GM really went above and beyond when they offered to take it back to the plant rather just paying for warranty paint work at a local body shop . I was surprised how many posts here are bashing GM even in spite of this generous and expensive offer . Upon re-reading these negative posts I noticed how many are from C6 owners . Is it possible that there is a subconscious desire to take a little wind out of the sails of this exciting new model that everybody seems so crazy about ?

To the OP, I applaud you for your patient and positive attitude. Your car will be back before you know it and better than ever. :thumbs:

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-31-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ZL-1 (Post 1585318269)
After being around car dealers most of my life I've seen cars of various brands arrive with unacceptable paint, my own included . It usually gets corrected locally. My initial impression here was that GM really went above and beyond when they offered to take it back to the plant rather just paying for warranty paint work at a local body shop . I was surprised how many posts here are bashing GM even in spite of this generous and expensive offer . Upon re-reading these negative posts I noticed how many are from C6 owners . Is it possible that there is a subconscious desire to take a little wind out of the sails of this exciting new model that everybody seems so crazy about ?

To the OP, I applaud you for your patient and positive attitude. Your car will be back before you know it and better than ever. :thumbs:

I appreciate your positive post! :thumbs:

VETTE-NV 10-31-2013 10:22 PM

I'm a C6 owner, I like the C7, and I plan on buying one as soon as the QC issues are solved. Your theory is bull$hit and most likely designed to start more crap. Nice try, but these issues are real and need to be addressed. To suggest otherwise is pure ignorance.

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-31-2013 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1585318357)
I'm a C6 owner, I like the C7, and I plan on buying one as soon as the QC issues are solved. Your theory is bull$hit and most likely designed to start more crap. Nice try, but these issues are real and need to be addressed. To suggest otherwise is pure ignorance.

Yes, there are some QC issues that need to be solved, and perhaps, have already been solved. And if his theory was designed to start more crap, your post suggests that it worked. :lol:

I, for one, am not into mud-slinging. I work too hard to keep my Corvettes looking good and mud free. :D :cheers:

Stingray Sam 10-31-2013 10:52 PM

For those of you glass half empty folks who are badmouthing GM, I can only surmise that you've never personally made a mistake, missed an error you made or produced anything that wasn't perfect in every way.

Humans are imperfect and, consequently, make mistakes. Except in cases of life or death, it isn't the mistake that's important but how the person or company that made it responds to correct it. In this case, GM deserves a big :thumbs:!!!

Cruiter 10-31-2013 11:03 PM

Jeremy,
You've got a positive outlook on life, keep on keeping on. We all knew going in a first year run is full of production adjustments. The majority are just fine, a few that weren't up to snuff such as yours are being handled. I can't wait till you see her again and drive away :auto:. In a month you won't be thinking about this anymore.

Sometimes it's the journal of life but we keep going.

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585318427)
Yes, there are some QC issues that need to be solved, and perhaps, have already been solved. And if his theory was designed to start more crap, your post suggests that it worked. :lol:

I, for one, am not into mud-slinging. I work too hard to keep my Corvettes looking good and mud free. :D :cheers:

lt4obsesses 10-31-2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585318427)

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam (Post 1585318576)
For those of you glass half empty folks who are badmouthing GM, I can only surmise that you've never personally made a mistake, missed an error you made or produced anything that wasn't perfect in every way.

Humans are imperfect and, consequently, make mistakes. Except in cases of life or death, it isn't the mistake that's important but how the person or company that made it responds to correct it. In this case, GM deserves a big :thumbs:!!!

My take on this situation is that GM had heard enough comments on some of the paint issues, and then when they hear of a car like this, they want to take it back to plant. Why? Well, simply to show it to the peole running the operations. Not for ridicule, but as a forensic analysis of what went wrong and how to correct it. The people at the plant will be able to see exactly what is happening and have first hand knowledge. Hopefully, this will be an end to the paint issues.

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-31-2013 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 1585318642)
Jeremy,
You've got a positive outlook on life, keep on keeping on. We all knew going in a first year run is full of production adjustments. The majority are just fine, a few that weren't up to snuff such as yours are being handled. I can't wait till you see her again and drive away :auto:. In a month you won't be thinking about this anymore.

Sometimes it's the journal of life but we keep going.

Thank you...that's a good word of wisdom, my friend! :cheers: Life is short...try to savor every moment. (Especially so in a Corvette!) :thumbs:

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1585318783)
My take on this situation is that GM had heard enough comments on some of the paint issues, and then when they hear of a car like this, they want to take it back to plant. Why? Well, simply to show it to the peole running the operations. Not for ridicule, but as a forensic analysis of what went wrong and how to correct it. The people at the plant will be able to see exactly what is happening and have first hand knowledge. Hopefully, this will be an end to the paint issues.

I would be surprised if some parts of my car aren't kept around the plant for a while for analysis.

Glen e 10-31-2013 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1585318783)

This x 100...I can see every floor manager that touched this car in a room with this car and a lot of GM execs "discussing" this..at least I hope that's the case...

E.T.D. Corvettes 10-31-2013 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585318918)
This x 100...I can see every floor manager that touched this car in a room with this car and a lot of GM execs "discussing" this..at least I hope that's the case...

Pretty cool thinking about whose hands might be on my Corvette while it's there. Maybe some of them could sign my fuel rail covers! :cool:

And it has been discussed that someone from the plant may actually accompany my Corvette when it is re-delivered to me! :thumbs:

Sp00ky 11-01-2013 12:01 AM

^^^This. Other than the C6 comment, this is true. Ive known a few people that had their cars taken to a local shop rather than straight back to the plant upon receiving a new car. Its good on GM to fix some QC mistakes with an actual customer car. Its funny how many people jump the gun on straight to "should get a new car". The car is going back to the plant, its going to be getting a 'good as new' paintjob..literally.

mpuzach 11-01-2013 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sp00ky (Post 1585318991)
The car is going back to the plant, its going to be getting a 'good as new' paintjob..literally.

Except I highly doubt they're going to paint it. I'm betting that they're going to replace the affected body panel(s).

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-01-2013 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585319168)
Except I highly doubt they're going to paint it. I'm betting that they're going to replace the affected body panel(s).

And likely keep the defective ones for analysis.

mpuzach 11-01-2013 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585319209)
And likely keep the effective ones for analysis.

Or possibly the defective ones!

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-01-2013 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585319235)

Yeah, that too :lol:

oldschoolvette 11-01-2013 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1585319235)

:rofl::rofl: to the OP good luck:cheers:

QUAKEJAKE 11-01-2013 08:52 AM

I agree 60 to 70 K for new car and you have to send it back

QUAKEJAKE 11-01-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585292421)

This is great but I wish GM would have stood behind the ls7 owners that have had problems mine excluded

Reciprocal 11-01-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE (Post 1585320175)
This is great but I wish GM would have stood behind the ls7 owners that have had problems mine excluded

Agree but I wish GM would have stood behind zr1 owners who were sold defective brake rotors, mine included.

JimNeedsC7 11-01-2013 09:57 AM

Hope your car comes back soon and you are happy with the result. I am looking forward to hearing how this all turns out. I assume that BG will get the body QC sorted out soon - and hopefully before I order my C7!

ldepalma 11-01-2013 10:11 AM

This story is very interesting to me because my vin is 1787 and I was next after his vin of 1786. My fit and finish is perfect minus some orange peel. It's hard to believe one car can have so many problems and the next one is fine. I would understand it if we were both early vins but after BG makes 1700+ cars and then go thru QC and miss these items make no sense to me? Anyway, hope everything works out for you....

z51vett 11-01-2013 10:18 AM

With 130 million overhaul to build new car there has to be bugs that need working out. Everyone is doing new jobs some were eliminated with new equipment the paint booth probably was redone all the construction dust and so forth is flying around till it is all removed. Not making excuses but new design newly renovated plant. Lets give them a chance to make it right and to get it right.
z51vett
Doug

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-01-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ldepalma (Post 1585320656)
This story is very interesting to me because my vin is 1787 and I was next after his vin of 1786. My fit and finish is perfect minus some orange peel. It's hard to believe one car can have so many problems and the next one is fine. I would understand it if we were both early vins but after BG makes 1700+ cars and then go thru QC and miss these items make no sense to me? Anyway, hope everything works out for you....

Karma :rofl: I'm glad yours is as good as it is...most are. :)

UniqueDoug 11-01-2013 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette (Post 1585319693)
:rofl::rofl: to the OP good luck:cheers:

:iagree: :lurk:

Shrike6 11-04-2013 04:43 PM

Any news yet?:lurk:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-04-2013 06:47 PM

Nothing yet...except that it is there and in process. Thanks for asking. :thumbs:

Dusty Starbucks 11-04-2013 07:23 PM

I just want to congratulate you on what you are doing. I haven't bought mine yet, but your effort to see this one through is going to get some level of attention back at the plant. that will help all those that follow. Very much appreciated! :cheers:

OnPoint 11-04-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks (Post 1585347530)
I just want to congratulate you on what you are doing. I haven't bought mine yet, but your effort to see this one through is going to get some level of attention back at the plant. that will help all those that follow. Very much appreciated! :cheers:

I hope it brings needed scrutiny to future built C7s.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-04-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks (Post 1585347530)

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1585347737)

I hope it brings needed scrutiny to future built C7s.

Thanks, and you're welcome! :cheers:

I guarantee you this...no one is happy with any of the issues my car came out of the plant with. I know this is not something anyone associated with Corvette manufacturing wanted to happen. And I'm sure there have already been assessments and changes as a result. They really do want every single C7 to come out of the plant as close to perfect as humanly (and robotically for that matter) as possible. I can't wait to see how good mine is going to look when I get her back! :thumbs:

MThomas 11-04-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585347801)

I guarantee you this...no one is happy with any of the issues my car came out of the plant with. I know this is not something anyone associated with Corvette manufacturing wanted to happen. And I'm sure there have already been assessments and changes as a result. They really do want every single C7 to come out of the plant as close to perfect as humanly (and robotically for that matter) as possible. I can't wait to see how good mine is going to look when I get her back! :thumbs:

I'm sure your car will be perfect.

dealtimeman 11-04-2013 10:44 PM

I as well am pretty sure your car will come back absolutely perfect and probably the best fit and finish of any other c7 out there.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-04-2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by MThomas (Post 1585349161)
I'm sure your car will be perfect.

Originally Posted by dealtimeman (Post 1585349549)
I as well am pretty sure your car will come back absolutely perfect and probably the best fit and finish of any other c7 out there.

I'm looking forward to this likelihood! :thumbs:

Dusty Starbucks 11-05-2013 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585349894)
I'm looking forward to this likelihood! :thumbs:

Truly, I hope that they do your car perfectly right. My hat's off to you my friend!

canadianz51owner 11-05-2013 02:07 AM

I hope mine doesnt come like that. Long haul back to the plant from Alberta Canada.

Rob 99 11-05-2013 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by #1c6 (Post 1585292439)

i guess the paint dept didn't get a large share of the $131 Million upgrade money. :crazy2:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-05-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by canadianz51owner (Post 1585350541)
I hope mine doesnt come like that. Long haul back to the plant from Alberta Canada.

Most likely, it will be just fine. I'm VIN 1786 and VIN 1787 is also VY and a forum member and his paint is perfect. Best wishes to you!

svtkeith 11-05-2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585347801)

So glad to hear that GM is fixing this issue for you jagama..:thumbs: and so glad you didn't accept this and complained now GM might correct the issue at the factory and no one has to go through this again.

96GS#007 11-05-2013 10:39 AM

I'll bet they're going to pull all (or nearly all) of the body panels off and either replace them or strip them and repaint them. Should be easy at the factory since they got all the right tools for disassemly/re-assembly. It'll be good as new. :thumbs: It'd be great if they gave you some pics of the process!

My apologies if this was stated....I was too lazy to read 4 pages :D

Jesse 11-05-2013 10:39 AM

At $60,000+ these type mistakes shoud not happen!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585297529)

As those who purchase these cars at $60,000+ shouldn't we expect that before it leaves QC at the factory? I say, yes!

Originally Posted by craig04c5 (Post 1585297588)
I am happy you are getting these issues resolved. Good for GM for doing the right thing.

Good for them? How about, no choice in the matter?

Sorry all, but, while I'm happy that the OP is satisfied, it still comes down to QC releasing a car with paint issues a blind man could see :toetap:

So, while some of you are praising GM for stepping up and doing the right thing, the bottom line is such blatant flaws should never have left the plant, period!

People seem to forget when GM is hugging them and saying, "don't worry we'll make it right," that WE spent $60,000+ on their C7 Vette and we shouldn't have to deal with such obvious problems.

To me, these paint flaws being overlooked in QC at the plant is no different then loading the C7 up for delivery with a missing hood, wheels or engine.

Quality control is just that, and clearly, many of those in that Department aren't doing their job :nono:

No C7 owner should have to wait months for their vehicle only to watch it towed back to BG for obvious paint flaws.

If we keep accepting Corvettes that have such problems once GM plays nice with us, it will NEVER solve the problem which is, don't deliver a car with such poor quality, because we shouldn't have to send it back. We have a right to demand better unless GM is giving us the cars for free.

I understand the old saying, "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade," well guess what, I hate lemons, and at $60,000+ I don't want any :nonod:

While I appreciate some of you looking at the glass as half full, to me, the glass is empty, and there's no excuse.

So, in the end, GM will make it right and the OP will be happy :thumbs: :cheers: but, we shouldn't just take the candy GM offers and just walk away quietly.

That's my $0.02.

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-05-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cor08vette (Post 1585352616)
At $60,000+ these type mistakes shoud not happen!

As those who purchase these cars at $60,000+ shouldn't we expect that before it leaves QC at the factory? I say, yes!

Good for them? How about, no choice in the matter?

Sorry all, but, while I'm happy that the OP is satisfied, it still comes down to QC releasing a car with paint issues a blind man could see :toetap:

So, while some of you are praising GM for stepping up and doing the right thing, the bottom line is such blatant flaws should never have left the plant, period!

People seem to forget when GM is hugging them and saying, "don't worry we'll make it right," that WE spent $60,000+ on their C7 Vette and we shouldn't have to deal with such obvious problems.

To me, these paint flaws being overlooked in QC at the plant is no different then loading the C7 up for delivery with a missing hood, wheels or engine.

Quality control is just that, and clearly, many of those in that Department aren't doing their job :nono:

No C7 owner should have to wait months for their vehicle only to watch it towed back to BG for obvious paint flaws.

If we keep accepting Corvettes that have such problems once GM plays nice with us, it will NEVER solve the problem which is, don't deliver a car with such poor quality, because we shouldn't have to send it back. We have a right to demand better unless GM is giving us the cars for free.

I understand the old saying, "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade," well guess what, I hate lemons, and at $60,000+ I don't want any :nonod:

While I appreciate some of you looking at the glass as half full, to me, the glass is empty, and there's no excuse.

So, in the end, GM will make it right and the OP will be happy :thumbs: :cheers: but, we shouldn't just take the candy GM offers and just walk away quietly.

That's my $0.02.

Thanks for the post. I imagine Corvette plant management agrees that my Corvette never should have made it out of the plant as it was. That said, the issues that I discovered were not so blatantly obvious that a blind man could have seen them. Most of the issues were only discovered under the right lighting conditions. As a matter of fact, when I picked the car up in Virginia, it was a cloudy and rainy day. The car was in the detail shop when I first saw it. I inspected it the best I could and none of the issues jumped out at me at that point. To make matters worse, the entire weekend was cloudy and rainy, so inspecting the car under direct sunlight wasn't even possible until I was back in Oklahoma. This is when the issue became more obvious to me. I consider myself to be quite anal when it comes to fit and finish, so it was a surprise to me when I took it to my local dealership and the service manager found additional issues that I had yet to discover. Yellow is a color that hides defects from casual observance where a darker color would have exposed the problems right away. So, do I give a pass to the Corvette plant for the problems? Not at all...and neither do they. But do I understand how the car made it out of the factory in the condition that it did? Yes, I actually do. And again, it's not something that management ever wants to happen. :cheers:

Jesse 11-05-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1585352757)
I imagine Corvette plant management agrees that my Corvette never should have made it out of the plant as it was.

And as we both know, they should :yesnod:

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
That said, the issues that I discovered were not so blatantly obvious that a blind man could have seen them. Most of the issues were only discovered under the right lighting conditions.

As a matter of fact, when I picked the car up in Virginia, it was a cloudy and rainy day. The car was in the detail shop when I first saw it. I inspected it the best I could and none of the issues jumped out at me at that point. To make matters worse, the entire weekend was cloudy and rainy, so inspecting the car under direct sunlight wasn't even possible until I was back in Oklahoma. This is when the issue became more obvious to me.

jag, it's your car, it's fantastic looking, and your happiness is all that matters, but, at the factory, they should be required to have "the right lighting conditions." :yesnod:

Every step of the process needs to have some type of quality control. It's a business, and while it may cost a lot of money to have someone check every step with a fine tooth comb, it's still their name and reputation on the line, and a lot more money when cars are being recalled or returned due to overlooked problems/issues.

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I consider myself to be quite anal when it comes to fit and finish, so it was a surprise to me when I took it to my local dealership and the service manager found additional issues that I had yet to discover. Yellow is a color that hides defects from casual observance where a darker color would have exposed the problems right away. So, do I give a pass to the Corvette plant for the problems? Not at all...and neither do they. But do I understand how the car made it out of the factory in the condition that it did? Yes, I actually do. And again, it's not something that management ever wants to happen. :cheers:

All of us should be anal when it comes to fit and finish, and we should demand nothing but the best when spending $60,000+.

There are other paint threads out there, so, you're not the only one, and therefore, it shows that QC is failing. Some of the other ones I've seen were thin paint that you could see through and chips around the brake light, if I remember correctly.

Again, GM/Bowling Green QC will continue to just roll these cars out until they are challenged.

The fact that they play nice and promise the world after the fact does not, nor should it, make us walk away with a smile on our face as if the problem never happened.

If we allow/accept substandard quality, that's what we'll always get from GM/Chev. :yesnod:

Again, if GM was letting us have these cars for free, I'd take it, but, I'd still be disappointed in the shortcoming/flaws :yesnod:

E.T.D. Corvettes 11-05-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by cor08vette (Post 1585352859)
And as we both know, they should :yesnod:

jag, it's your car, it's fantastic looking, and your happiness is all that matters, but, at the factory, they should be required to have "the right lighting conditions." :yesnod:

Every step of the process needs to have some type of quality control. It's a business, and while it may cost a lot of money to have someone check every step with a fine tooth comb, it's still their name and reputation on the line, and a lot more money when cars are being recalled or returned due to overlooked problems/issues.

All of us should be anal when it comes to fit and finish, and we should demand nothing but the best when spending $60,000+.

There are other paint threads out there, so, you're not the only one, and therefore, it shows that QC is failing. Some of the other ones I've seen were thin paint that you could see through and chips around the brake light, if I remember correctly.

Again, GM/Bowling Green QC will continue to just roll these cars out until they are challenged.

The fact that they play nice and promise the world after the fact does not, nor should it, make us walk away with a smile on our face as if the problem never happened.

If we allow/accept substandard quality, that's what we'll always get from GM/Chev. :yesnod:

Again, if GM was letting us have these cars for free, I'd take it, but, I'd still be disappointed in the shortcoming/flaws :yesnod:

Shrike6 11-07-2013 11:20 AM

:lurk:
Any update?

RoadkingC6 11-07-2013 11:50 AM