CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Atco today with my C7 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3361599-atco-today-with-my-c7.html)

JoesC5 10-23-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1585248955)
Wonder how much a car costs that has "6.3L V8 with 631HP at 7,400 RPM with an 8,000 RPM redline with 468.35 lbs-ft of torque with a 7 speed DCT".

Clearly is has a base price of $51,995 just like the C7?

Right?

No one is talking price except you. Right?

I was telling the person that I responded to that his contention that DCT's only were only good for under powered, high rev'ing tiny engines that need high RPM's to make torque was false.

Doesn't matter what the engine costs or the price of the car it's in. A DCT works well in the example I used with it's 6.3L V8 with 631HP at 7,400 RPM with an 8,000 RPM redline with 468.35 lbs-ft of torque.

Let's recap, Okay? Larger displacement then the C7. More horsepower than the C7. Higher RPM than the C7. Greater torque than the C7. And, surprise, surprise, it has a 7 speed DCT. I would say someone has their engineering well thought out. Right?

JoesC5 10-23-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trackaholic (Post 1585249062)
DCT's funtion very well, but are heavier and more complicated that some other options. They still have the limitations of an automated clutch at low speeds (need good programming to properly slip the clutch without bucking or being harsh).

A slushbox auto also has the ability to prestage shifts and if designed to, could shift very quickly (comparable to a DCT). It's just that most autos haven't been designed to do that.

I think GM could easily get by with a torque converter based auto as long as they design it for fast shifting and optimize the shift logic to prevent it from going straight to top gear and then sitting there. Jaguar's new 8-speed auto seems to compare favorably to Porsche's PDK, which is one of the best DCT's available (based on F-type reviews).

And those 1/4 mile times put up by the OP are very nice.

-T

I believe that Porsche's 7 speed PDK weighs ~35 pounds more than it's 7 speed manual transmission. 35 pound weight increase is peanuts if you can gain 3 tenths in the quarter.

cdubbzz 10-23-2013 09:22 PM

Great runs from a bonafied stock car and stand up guy.

JerriVette 10-23-2013 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585246377)
Why do so many people fail to educated themselves, deny facts, and hate progress so much?
A world class DCT costs $11k.
They are reliable.
They are faster than every transmission due to seamless power deliver and launch control.
A DCT would have cut 7 tenths off this time and would allow more control and lighting fast downshifts and upshifts for road racing.
The ENTIRE AUTO WORLD accepts these known facts above while a few uneducated members of CF deny reality while crying the world is flat and that we should stay with drum brakes and carbs.
Shaking my head.

Staying completely civil...DcT s are cool yet technology can be developed on torque converter automatics that seem to have risen to a level of the best DcT s at a lower weight and lower cost.

I want the performance and if gm and ZF can deliver with torque converter automatics I'm good.

I like DcT transmissions but not married to them.

I keep an open mind to the possibilities and performance of new torque converter automatics ...

11.6 @ 120 mph rocks!

Goaty 10-24-2013 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1585252041)
Staying completely civil...DcT s are cool yet technology can be developed on torque converter automatics that seem to have risen to a level of the best DcT s at a lower weight and lower cost.

I want the performance and if gm and ZF can deliver with torque converter automatics I'm good.

I like DcT transmissions but not married to them.

I keep an open mind to the possibilities and performance of new torque converter automatics ...

11.6 @ 120 mph rocks!

Mark Reuss, President of GM and a sports car guy, is on record as saying that a DCT is the setup you want in a sports car as the torque converter shift times are not quite as fast.

He said 1) GM hasn't been able to achieve the level of shift smoothness in a DCT that they want, and 2) a DCT would push the price point up on the Stingray higher then they want to go.

Sounds like no DCT on the base Stingray is in the pipeline. I would venture to guess that the C7 will get an A8 and the C8 will get the DCT.

He seems to leave the door open somewhat on a DCT in a Z06/ZR1 though. You can find the video on youtube, Mark Reuss on Wide Open Throttle. Start watching at 2:30.

JustinStrife 10-24-2013 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585252993)
He, along with every educated car person on the planet........
The price point excuse is a joke when a GTR's complete DCT sells for $11k and GM is asking $8,000 to get a full leather interior.

Can you guys take this to another thread. You have completely de-railed the original topic.

Vetteman Jack 10-24-2013 04:25 AM

Really good times you got from the car. I'm impressed with those results.

redzone 10-24-2013 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1585253110)
Can you guys take this to another thread. You have completely de-railed the original topic.

Agreed....It's apparent this is the same guy who was moderated a few months back for derailing threads with his DCT/AWD mantra. Almost word for word. Wish I could remember his name from before.

I would love a DCT to be available for those who want it,but this isn't the time nor place for that discussion.

Knome 10-24-2013 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Trackaholic (Post 1585253021)
According to Porsche's website, it's seems to be around 45 more than the 7 speed and 65 more than the 6 speed:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...turesandspecs/
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...turesandspecs/

Agreed that it isn't much additional weight for the straight line performance over a stick shift, but not sure what the performance might be over a theoretically excellent 8 speed slushbox like the one in the F-type. At that point maybe the performance differential is mimimal, and the complexity and weight drawbacks are therefore more pronounced.

I do believe that if GM had a DCT available at say $3000 more than the stick shift, they'd offer it. They just don't have one available, and therefore there are reasons (rationalizations) why. Maybe they will go down the path of an advanced torque converter based auto, in which case they will downplay the need for a DCT and highlight the negatives, or maybe they will go down the road of a DCT and when they have one will talk extensively about how great it is. Until that time, they will continue to explain why one isn't critical in this application.

I still prefer the stick shift, so as long as they keep offering one, I'll be happy.

-T

Like just about every other technology, it will get cheaper in time to make a DCT. Remember what flat screen TV's use to cost 10 years ago? I'd venture a guess that before this latest iteration of the Corvette is replaced we will see a DCT offered at a marginal premium over the standard automatic.:yesnod:

JerriVette 10-24-2013 07:48 AM

11.6 @120 mph for the A6 c7 is an impressive feat

Staying on topic thank you for sharing the information withh the rest of us here at corvette forum

Mike Campbell 10-24-2013 09:58 AM

JerriVette :11.6 @120 mph for the A6 c7 is an impressive feat

Staying on topic thank you for sharing the information withh the rest of us here at corvette forum
:iagree: This is about not only one but 4 excellent runs with an A6 bone stock C7 by Snorman.:thumbs:
Not about how Atco, Cecil County & Englishtown are somehow "unfair and fast" tracks or how much faster he would have been with his 2 shifts in a 1/4 mile if only GM had installed a Ferrari DCT trans. :crazy2: But then again what would some folks have to gripe about ? :rofl:

Daekwan06 10-24-2013 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1585249069)
No one is talking price except you. Right?

I was telling the person that I responded to that his contention that DCT's only were only good for under powered, high rev'ing tiny engines that need high RPM's to make torque was false.

Doesn't matter what the engine costs or the price of the car it's in. A DCT works well in the example I used with it's 6.3L V8 with 631HP at 7,400 RPM with an 8,000 RPM redline with 468.35 lbs-ft of torque.

Let's recap, Okay? Larger displacement then the C7. More horsepower than the C7. Higher RPM than the C7. Greater torque than the C7. And, surprise, surprise, it has a 7 speed DCT. I would say someone has their engineering well thought out. Right?

So whats the price of a car with "A DCT works well in the example I used with it's 6.3L V8 with 631HP at 7,400 RPM with an 8,000 RPM redline with 468.35 lbs-ft of torque."

Why is it so hard for you to answer such a simple question. This is the second time i've asked you this question.

Is that price close to $51,995?

meadowz06 10-24-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1585253110)

Thank you! Good God would you guys STOP! Let's get the thread back on topic.

Snorman 10-24-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585255722)
Good to see a stickshift C7 has just broken into the 11's as well. (Rodney at RPM?)

Yep...now both A6 and M7 cars are into the 11's.

Coincidentally, I believe that car was sold and delivered by Mike at Criswell too. :rock:

Also, I'm going to try to be at Atco for a rental on November 4th. It looks like the guys hosting it have filled their slots but I know a few of them so might be able to slide in for a few hours. Will be at Sebring on Saturday and Sunday of that weekend, so it will be tight.
S.

LT1_E85_Corvette 10-24-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1585240307)
Love to see it Craig! Would you consider black mirrors, spoiler or both on your car? It looks great as it is but some more black would tie it in nice IMO.

Jesus Dan you of anyone should know, those things take time.

Look what I found this morning. ANOTHER person in the 11's

BONE STOCK MN7 Z51 NPP

11.92 @ 120mph

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...7-results.html

Snorman 10-24-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by LS1LT1 (Post 1585244315)
Wow Sean, I am VERY impressed. :thumbs:
I knew you would likely 'set the mark' for the bone stock cars but I had NO IDEA it would be that quick in that kind of DA with so few miles on it! :eek:
You're absolutely correct, the bone stock best for these cars will be even quicker than the 11.5s (or that lone 11.49999 :D) that I had been predicting for a while. Once people start getting some seat time and miles on them and the cooler air hits there will be some stellar ETs coming. :steering: Congrats. :cheers:

:cheers:
I'll let you know next time I'll be at Atco. :yesnod:
S.

Lavender 10-24-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585255722)
Your WEAK argument of price was destroyed when the $11k price of the GTR's DCT was mentioned.
The persistent and loud demand from a LARGE percentage of EDUCATED Corvette owners demanding a DCT option will NOT go away until GM offers a DCT option.
GM is monitoring this forum, they are aware of the demands, and they need to take immediate action.

For the record, the DCT subject was brought up in this thread by DCT haters making sarcastic comments.
I'll drop the subject as requested, now that the validity and necessity of a DCT option has been proven, yet again, in this thread.

Good to see a stickshift C7 has just broken into the 11's as well. (Rodney at RPM?)

Friend of mine blew his transmission. Price quoted for a replacement was $22,399,00. And that is without labor.