CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Atco today with my C7 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3361599-atco-today-with-my-c7.html)

Big Dan 427 10-23-2013 09:09 AM

Okay before this spirals into the depths of forum hell let's ALL let it go! He made some excellent runs and it was bone stock, end of story!

ChucksZ06 10-23-2013 09:10 AM

You can be anyone you want on the internet...and you can see the lack of humility and honesty by the posts one writes. I won't mention names or I will get moderated.

Turbooo2u 10-23-2013 09:16 AM

I thought the C7 was a 10sec. from the factory?:(

Lavender 10-23-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1585245155)
Okay before this spirals into the depths of forum hell let's ALL let it go! He made some excellent runs and it was bone stock, end of story!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JudgeNjury 10-23-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1585245126)
But that's missing the point of a DCT. For pure acceleration, you are correct not really needed. Responsiveness, feel and control on a track/road course... different story.

Regardless, the A6 seems to be a fast shifting auto for sure :thumbs:

While in the past I would have agreed...new programming techniques and the bar having been raised...the torque converter automatics might just be the performance leaders that they weren't in the past.

I'm keeping an open mind on the subject.

travisnd 10-23-2013 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme (Post 1585242024)
I agree that a DCT car won't be much faster than an auto's E.T. will b3 (although it will trap higher), but which dual-clutch cars shift that slowly? The slowest ones still shift in less than a 1/4 of a second, some as low as 8 milliseconds. Shift time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not mention the fact that a DCT has no torque convertor, so has less parasitic losses than a manual, provide the driver with more much control over gear selection, as well as the ability to rev-match.

Autos are cheaper to build, but DCTs are superior in every other day.

I mis-typed... I meant 0.05 seconds. A good modern auto shifts in 0.1 and a good DCT in about 1/2 that, some quicker. My main point is that these new autos are getting so quick there isn't much left on the table going to DCT.

Dusty Starbucks 10-23-2013 10:45 AM

Snorman, after watching the video (which is great). I believe you could improve your times if the car hadn't gone into V4 mode at about 1000'....just saying :D

Blancpain 10-23-2013 11:38 AM

I can't wait to see some more video once your car is "broken in", Snorman

JoesC5 10-23-2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585246377)
Why do so many people fail to educated themselves, deny facts, and hate progress so much?
A world class DCT costs $11k.
They are reliable.
They are faster than every transmission due to seamless power deliver and launch control.
A DCT would have cut 7 tenths off this time and would allow more control and lighting fast downshifts and upshifts for road racing.
The ENTIRE AUTO WORLD accepts these known facts above while a few uneducated members of CF deny reality while crying the world is flat and that we should stay with drum brakes and carbs.
Shaking my head.

Those same people were around in 1965 when the Corvette debuted with four wheel disc brakes(of course the Crosley Hot Shot sports car had four wheel disc brakes as standard equipment back in 1949, as did their sedan, station wagon, convertible and pickup).

Chevrolet realized that some can't accept new ideas so they offered a "disc brake delete" option and fitted those Corvettes with drum brakes. AND, there were 316 buyers that took advantage of it.

C7 101 car 10-23-2013 11:59 AM

Why do so many people fail to educated themselves, deny facts, and hate progress so much?
They are reliable.

:nopity:beatdeadhorse:

:chevy

T_Vert 10-23-2013 12:11 PM

I dunno, a friends GTI has a DCT and it's pretty dang nice. Perhaps the rest of the car only cost 15k and then 11k for the trans?? Doubtful..

RamAir972003 10-23-2013 01:51 PM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...nsmission2.htm

TA 10-23-2013 02:19 PM

Reading through this I'm not sure why many seem to want to discount the times because of the track. We all know that Atco, Etown and Cecil County are fast tracks, BUT this was not one of those days where Atco saw the mineshaft -2000 DAs that is is so well known for. The opening post lists the DA as 400 ft. Decent weather, but far from ideal for best ETs. Wait until Snorman, or someone else, runs a C7 on a -2000 (or less :eek:) DA day...............then we'll really have some people pissing and moaning. :lol:

BTW, great runs Snorman..................these cars have a lot left in them. :thumbs:

racerns 10-23-2013 03:09 PM

A DCT would have cut 7 tenths off this time and would allow more control and lighting fast downshifts and upshifts for road racing.

So you are saying it would have run a 10.9X @12X mph if it had been a DCT? I can see some improvement but no way 7 tenths, less than half of that at most. Let look at some of the rwd cars that have DCT that have reportedly run high 10s:
Mclaren MP4-12C - trap 130+mph 591/612 hp 3155 lb
458 - trap 130+mph 562hp 3267 lb

Both cars have over +100 more hp than the C7, are lighter, and trap 130mph. I could see the DCT gaining a few mph but you are not getting 7 tenth out of the quicker shifts.

JustinStrife 10-23-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1585248143)
So you are saying it would have run a 10.9X @12X mph if it had been a DCT? I can see some improvement but no way 7 tenths, less than half of that at most. Let look at some of the rwd cars that have DCT that have reportedly run high 10s:
Mclaren MP4-12C - trap 130+mph 591/612 hp 3155 lb
458 - trap 130+mph 562hp 3267 lb

Both cars have over +100 more hp than the C7, are lighter, and trap 130mph. I could see the DCT gaining a few mph but you are not getting 7 tenth out of the quicker shifts.

I had to do a doubletake on his claim as well. :lol:

Mike Campbell 10-23-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? View Post

They are reliable.
They are faster than every transmission due to seamless power deliver and launch control.
The ENTIRE AUTO WORLD accepts these known facts above while a few uneducated members of CF deny reality while crying the world is flat and that we should stay with drum brakes and carbs.
Shaking my head.
I'm shaking my head too ! Seven tenths of a second?!? You do realize that the C7 goes thru the quarter before it hit's 4th gear? So the 11K tranny in order to improve that run of 11.6 would have had to shift 0.035 secs. faster than the existing trans. because it only needs to shift twice in the quarter. Correct me if I 'm wrong but isn't this faster than the best DCT out there? :crazy2: I accept that DCT's are the wave of the future but so are CVT's. I think your numbers are overly optomistic and just because the " rest of the world " goes that way doesn't always mean it's best. The DCT's work best on high reving lower torque engines mainly to reduce RPM & HP loss during shifting. I agree that very soon Corvettes will have these type transmissions but 7 tenths of a second? Puhl - lezzz.

JoesC5 10-23-2013 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell (Post 1585248529)
I'm shaking my head too ! Seven tenths of a second?!? You do realize that the C7 goes thru the quarter before it hit's 4th gear? So the 11K tranny in order to improve that run of 11.6 would have had to shift 0.035 secs. faster than the existing trans. because it only needs to shift twice in the quarter. Correct me if I 'm wrong but isn't this faster than the best DCT out there? :crazy2: I accept that DCT's are the wave of the future but so are CVT's. I think your numbers are overly optomistic and just because the " rest of the world " goes that way doesn't always mean it's best. The DCT's work best on high reving lower torque engines mainly to reduce RPM & HP loss during shifting. I agree that very soon Corvettes will have these type transmissions but 7 tenths of a second? Puhl - lezzz.

You mean like a normally aspirated 6.3L V8 with 631HP at 7,400 RPM with an 8,000 RPM redline with 468.35 lbs-ft of torque with a 7 speed DCT.

Daekwan06 10-23-2013 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1585248840)
You mean like a normally aspirated 6.3L V8 with 631HP at 7,400 RPM with an 8,000 RPM redline with 468.35 lbs-ft of torque with a 7 speed DCT.

Wonder how much a car costs that has "6.3L V8 with 631HP at 7,400 RPM with an 8,000 RPM redline with 468.35 lbs-ft of torque with a 7 speed DCT".

Clearly is has a base price of $51,995 just like the C7?

Right?

Trackaholic 10-23-2013 05:02 PM

DCT's funtion very well, but are heavier and more complicated that some other options. They still have the limitations of an automated clutch at low speeds (need good programming to properly slip the clutch without bucking or being harsh).

A slushbox auto also has the ability to prestage shifts and if designed to, could shift very quickly (comparable to a DCT). It's just that most autos haven't been designed to do that.

I think GM could easily get by with a torque converter based auto as long as they design it for fast shifting and optimize the shift logic to prevent it from going straight to top gear and then sitting there. Jaguar's new 8-speed auto seems to compare favorably to Porsche's PDK, which is one of the best DCT's available (based on F-type reviews).

And those 1/4 mile times put up by the OP are very nice.

-T