CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Car and Driver Test C7 vs 911 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3350981-car-and-driver-test-c7-vs-911-a.html)

themonk 10-10-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1585140301)
I'm not arguing, I'm discussing.

Even if I was arguing, it wouldn't be juvenile because the argument "against bragging" is not a pointless argument. You may be stonewalling your position, but there are others who read the forum who may give the discussion a fair consideration.

You may think that bragging is juvenile but when I'm hanging out with my friends whether it's cars, hockey, pool, chicks, our team that just won the championship, etc...we brag about who is better, who's is faster, who had the best one Saturday night, etc.....once again it's all a part of being "a guy", it's a guy thing and whether you get it or not it's of no consequence to me. Maybe you and your pals don't participate in such immature activities but I bet you sure as hell that when many guys in here get together at a pub watching the game and drinking beers that's exactly what they do too.

JudgeNjury 10-10-2013 04:47 PM

Corvette PTM is all about utilizing the entire corvette power and handling on both the street and the track.

The limits are high so I'm sure for those unaccustomed it's a bit unnerving.

Often times slower sports cars are more smiles per miles as they scare less.

I understand many people's choice for the slower track car. I can respect it. I rather not be fed a bunch of BS that the slower car is better though.....

At that point it sort of borders on sour grapes...

Corvette 2.1 seconds faster per lap than the 911s.

Just swallow it and move on.

Notch 10-10-2013 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585142985)
You may think that bragging is juvenile but when I'm hanging out with my friends whether it's cars, hockey, pool, chicks, our team that just won the championship, etc...we brag about who is better, who's is faster, who had the best one Saturday night, etc.....once again it's all a part of being "a guy", it's a guy thing and whether you get it or not it's of no consequence to me. Maybe you and your pals don't participate in such immature activities but I bet you sure as hell that when many guys in here get together at a pub watching the game and drinking beers that's exactly what they do too.

Oh, I did some bragging when I was young and immature, just like I'm sure my friends did. But we've long since grown out of that kind of behavior. If you're lucky, you may grow out of it too.

tuxnharley 10-10-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1585143188)
Oh, I did some bragging when I was young and immature, just like I'm sure my friends did. But we've long since grown out of that kind of behavior. If you're lucky, you may grow out of it too.

Wow, that kind of arrogance will fit well with many who own Porsches just for the perceived prestige of the badge.:D

It's nice to know for a certainty just how superior you think you are, rather than leaving it between the lines as you have previously done.

Thanks for being so forthcoming! :thumbs:

:cheers:

Carnut12 10-10-2013 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by tuxnharley (Post 1585145757)
Wow, that kind of arrogance will fit well with many who own Porsches just for the perceived prestige of the badge.:D

It's nice to know for a certainty just how superior you think you are, rather than leaving it between the lines as you have previously done.

Thanks for being so forthcoming! :thumbs:

:cheers:

How is that statement arrogant? What part of it gives you the notion he thinks he is superior to anyone?

Maybe I missed an earlier post?

pietro c7 10-10-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Carnut12 (Post 1585145824)
How is that statement arrogant? What part of it gives you the notion he thinks he is superior to anyone?

Maybe I missed an earlier post?

Read it again. ....full fledge arrogance.....in the purest form.

Carnut12 10-10-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by pietro c7 (Post 1585145879)
Read it again. ....full fledge arrogance.....in the purest form.

I just did and I agree.

Tourbillon001 10-11-2013 12:02 AM

Having owned both a 911s and now a c7 they are just not comparable. I seriously doubt many people cross shop these cars and if they do they don't need a magazine to make up their mind

Crossed Flags Fan 10-11-2013 01:17 AM

Car and Driver Test C7 vs 911

The horse is (long) dead... :beatdeadhorse: :smash:
Long live the horse.

Notch 10-11-2013 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Carnut12 (Post 1585146379)
I just did and I agree.

How is it arrogant to say that you don't brag?

Notch 10-11-2013 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by tuxnharley (Post 1585145757)

I don't think I'm superior. My parents believed humility to be a worthwhile approach to life. It took awhile for it to sink in, but they were right.

Guibo 10-11-2013 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585142985)

So, you're admitting that it's immature and juvenile? I don't think anyone is denying that it happens. I'm sure some of those guys in the pub are leering at the waitresses' funbags and joking about them, even though they're married.
Would you consider this person to be a "guy," or more specifically a "car guy?"

If not, why not?

Guibo 10-11-2013 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585137517)

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585136660)
...if I wanted just speed I'd go with the GT-R but I don't, to me it's about how that car makes me feel despite there being something faster

Actually, that's been entirely my point: That subjectivity matters. Yours has been the opposite: that outright objective speed differences is what matters. If you knew all along that it's how the car makes you feel, then why would you ever ask why someone would want a Corvette or a sports car??

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585136484)
Let's put it this way: Would you really be interested in parting with $60-70k for a Corvette if it looked like a Corolla? How about if it was 10 seconds faster on the Nurburgring, but it looked like a Yugo?

Reposted for actual answers this time. And let's say in addition to looking like a Yugo, it had even worse build quality, materials, and fit & finish as the Yugo.

Carnut12 10-11-2013 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1585147257)
How is it arrogant to say that you don't brag?

First Notch I agree with 99% of your posts and I fully agree that Monk is very immature. That said I also think it does show some arrogance saying maybe someday if he is lucky he will become mature too. If he is in his high teens or very low 20's I fully understand why he is posting the way he is, but I do not think I would brag about being more mature if this is the case, he would not understand what you mean until he gets older. The bragging peice is ridiculous, my friends and I never sat at a bar and bragged about ourselves, anyone that does that often is no friend of mine.

That was the peice that stuck out.

Notch 10-11-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Carnut12 (Post 1585148008)
... but I do not think I would brag about being more mature if this is the case, he would not understand what you mean until he gets older.

I'm not bragging about being more mature. I was lucky to have had people mentor me and help me grow out of a mindset that wasn't based on humility. I don't think I would have ever figured it out on my own. Hoping he is lucky enough to mentally grow out of the need/habit to brag either through his own solo cognitive progression (growth), or through the help of mentoring by others, is not an act of" superiority" on my part, nor is it bragging.

Carnut12 10-11-2013 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1585148615)
I'm not bragging about being more mature. I was lucky to have had people mentor me and help me grow out of a mindset that wasn't based on humility. I don't think I would have ever figured it out on my own. Hoping he is lucky enough to mentally grow out of the need/habit to brag either through his own solo cognitive progression (growth), or through the help of mentoring by others, is not an act of" superiority" on my part, nor is it bragging.

Understood, the first time I read it I did not feel you were being arrogant, I still do not think it was your intention, but I can understand why some interpreted it that way.:cheers:

Turbooo2u 10-11-2013 03:41 PM

It's kinda sad that so many of these threads devolve into personal attacks.:(

DREAMERAK 10-11-2013 05:12 PM

Once again Guibo and Notch have derailed what could have been an interesting conversation on a great Corvette win over the 911S into off topic BS.

JudgeNjury 10-11-2013 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ksowul (Post 1585147046)
The horse is (long) dead... :beatdeadhorse: :smash:
Long live the horse.

It's not the corvette forum but rather the natch and gumbo show...

With a little cartun12 thrown in for variety..

Next ..

themonk 10-11-2013 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1585143188)

So now you're bragging that you're not immature, oh what a tangled web we weave.........You know what, being immature at times isn't so bad, go take a look at OT sometime and see all guys in there that are having a blast a being immature. Part of being a guy is being able to laugh it up with your friends, you know, being immature, sadly I guess that part is lost on you. I really feel sorry for you, your friends and all who agree with you that being immature at times when you're hanging out with your buds is immature and frowned upon. Yes, I'm happy to say that at times I'm immature, life's too short to be serious every day, but hey if that's how you are so be it, far from me to judge.

You and all your stuffed shirt pals can hang out at the local Starbucks, chat about how much the track package cost, exchange stories about all the people that glanced your way while driving your Porsche, meanwhile I'll be hanging out with my friends at a local pub, drinking a beer, looking at chicks, watching a football game, BRAGGING about track times after spending a glorious afternoon polishing up my Corvette or Grand National or '81 Z28 or '79 MB 450 SL, etc, why? Because I'm a guy and that's what I do. You live your life, I'll live mine. :cheers: