CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Delivered yesterday has already been towed back to dealer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3350365-c7-delivered-yesterday-has-already-been-towed-back-to-dealer.html)

callchuck 10-02-2013 10:38 AM

C7 Delivered yesterday has already been towed back to dealer

One of my friends who took delivery yesterday of his C7 at Jim Ellis in Atlanta and has already had transmission failure. He has the 7 speed transmission. He was driving along 400 last night when he smelled smoke and the car was slowing down with a grinding noise. He pulled over and smoke was coming out of the rear end. When he pressed in the clutch there was a bad rattling noise coming from the rear end. Anyway, the car was towed back to dealer and he still does not know what is wrong with the car. He said the parking brake was not engaged and he drove it maybe 20 miles from dealer when the failure happened. His Vin 1872 never went to Nashville.

ZL-1 10-02-2013 10:41 AM

Electric parking brake not released? Hill holder not releasing?

zhopper05 10-02-2013 10:44 AM

Hmmm - that's the second transmission-related problem. The first one so far has been reported as an ECM, though.

Landru 10-02-2013 10:49 AM

I'll be expecting to hear these reports considering it's a new generation Corvette, will attribute it all to 'growing pains'.

Being the first on the block with a brand new generation comes with additional costs transcending MSRP, has always been true with Corvette (& most other marques FTM). People had to know this, going in. :confused2:

450hp mike9 10-02-2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1585068091)
I'll be expecting to hear these reports considering it's a new generation Corvette, will attribute it all to 'growing pains'.

Being the first on the block with a brand new generation comes with additional costs transcending MSRP, has always been true with Corvette (& most other marques FTM). People had to know this, going in. :confused2:

That's the same as saying " I told you so " nobody needs to hear that.

pietro c7 10-02-2013 10:54 AM

What good is it to post this? Its a c7 forum and many have ordered cars and others aspire to order....Would you like it if we all pulled out? Do you believe GM intends to build 25000 lemons in their debut?

zhopper05 10-02-2013 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1585068091)

True, but if it turns out there is a connection between these issues (two that we know of so far that have affected the transmission) and what has caused cars to be quarantined in Nashville, then one may conclude the problem is more widespread than reported, which explain some people's theory, including mine that the car was rushed into production before it is actually ready, in addition to the lack of transparency on the part of GM.

I know this is all speculation, now, but time will tell.

TacDoc 10-02-2013 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by pietro c7 (Post 1585068133)
What good is it to post this? Its a c7 forum and many have ordered cars and others aspire to order....Would you like it if we all pulled out? Do you believe GM intends to build 25000 lemons in their debut?

Same reason so many legal ads exist. Unreal expectations that everything is perfect 100% of the time.

zhopper05 10-02-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9 (Post 1585068121)

Yeah, but at some point people are going to start buying the cars. Regardless of the magnitude of problems, which are always anticipated with new launches, I personally believe this car was rushed into production before it has reach the "Ready" threshold. But who am I to decide.

callchuck 10-02-2013 11:01 AM

His vin 1872 never went to Nashville. The reason the cars are in Nashville is re flashing the computer for the auto lock for the gas cap. That is what I have been told from someone at GM. Is it true?

zhopper05 10-02-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by callchuck (Post 1585068195)
His vin 1872 never went to Nashville. The reason the cars are in Nashville is re flashing the computer for the auto lock for the gas cap. That is what I have been told from someone at GM. Is it true?

All we hear is speculations and guesses. People in the know are not talking.

Landru 10-02-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9 (Post 1585068121)

Hardly.

For your benefit it's saying bugs are to be expected & patience is required while systems are perfected.

Jimbob26 10-02-2013 11:07 AM

It sucks his new baby is already having an issue, but this could be a supplier issue with the tranny, an e-brake issue or any number of things. His VIN is 1872, mine is 1818, but have not gotten it yet. I hope his is an isolated problem and the rest of us don't experience these issues. Truthfully, I hope with the gazillion hours of computing time, GM engineering and manufacturing expertise and commitment to getting their halo car right, most of us will not experience problems.

z51vett 10-02-2013 11:08 AM

Here is my 2 cents worth the rear ends, transmissions and engines are filled off site.
Either someone didn't fill rearend or trans. I don't know if assy checks fluid at the plant anymore.
z51vett
Doug

Drake Heminger 10-02-2013 11:09 AM

Oh media, where are you? :D

texvette2 10-02-2013 11:09 AM

Hummmmmm 7 years later and a Corvette still can't make it home because of a
transmission problem

texvette2 10-02-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by callchuck (Post 1585068195)

That could easily be done at a receiving dealership. Something
fishy going on

ByByBMW 10-02-2013 11:14 AM

And so, the first MY problems start to raise their heads. The very reason I won't buy another first MY Corvette.
Sorry to the first adopters, this really does suck.

airlineman 10-02-2013 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by pietro c7 (Post 1585068133)

its is quite possible they do gm is known for there lemon trees

Landru 10-02-2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585068140)
True, but if it turns out there is a connection between these issues (two that we know of so far that have affected the transmission) and what has caused cars to be quarantined in Nashville, then one may conclude the problem is more widespread than reported, which explain some people's theory, including mine that the car was rushed into production before it is actually ready, in addition ,to the lack of transparency on the part of GM. I know this is all speculation, now, but time will tell.

We'll all be tallying what's goes wrong with the first run.
Be a while before we know of repetitive issues the result of poor supplier quality, build, QC etc. Good Lord the people who designed & built the cars are among the most curious to learn what weak links are so they may make necessary improvements.

Looking at your avitar, your anticipated C7 isn't your first rodeo so you're aware of the potential risks with new generation Corvettes and especially this one considering the new technology employed.

BTW BIG congrats on your gorgeous new C7 my friend, hopefully your wait won't be too much longer. Saw my first one in public yesterday, red, beautiful even though I passed it at 70 MPH. :lol: :cheers: