CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/3349614-edmunds-comparison-test-c7-vs-cayman-s.html)

Guibo 10-02-2013 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by tuxnharley (Post 1585065858)
Yes, and apparently many Porsche owners are not satisfied. Perhaps you might want to read this item from the September 16th version of Autoweek. :eek:
Imagine the outcry if this had been a Corvette related issue........:yesnod:

That was already addressed in Other Cars section.

Originally Posted by BT ZR1 (Post 1584964564)
Ims bearing replacement about 650- 1000.00. Parts and labor.

You're not going to get Porsche levels of build quality in everything else (interior fit & finish, panel gaps, etc) for a $1000 investment into your Corvette (which have their own share of issues).

If you want a wider view of overall quality, consider this from 2011:
"J.D. Power and Associates has named the Porsche 911 sports coupe as the most dependable vehicle on the road in the 2011 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS).
The 2011 VDS analyzed issues with vehicles from the 2008 model year during a recent 12-month period, tracking how many problems were reported for every 100 vehicles of a given model. While the average model had 151 problems per 100 vehicles, or about 1.5 problems per vehicle, the Porsche 911 line had only 68 problems per 100 vehicles, less than half the average. The performance of the 911 suggests that many vehicles had no issues reported."

http://www.luxurycarsnewengland.com/?p=100

Revfan 10-02-2013 03:22 AM

This is silly guys....
The C7 will be hitting the streets, track, and strip in growing numbers... as owners and "reviewers" get used to it, they will probably gain the "confidence" that they seemed to be lacking in the pre-production cars.

The C7 wins in Price and Objective assessments.... the Subjective stuff will come in time.

The reality is that more folks can afford a $55K C7 than a $65K+ Porsche... but those that want the Porsche and can afford it, will more than likely buy it.

No different than it has always been, except this time, they are buying the "Objectively" lesser car.

Nothing to see... move along.

*Edit*
Currently, in ALMS GT Championship Standings:
1. Chevrolet - 151
2. BMW - 124
3. SRT - 115
4. Ferrari - 89
5. Porsche - 79

But BE PREPARED! When ALMS switches to Subjective assessment for the Championship... Porsche will be #1.
Despite being in 5th place, the Drivers are having a better experience while doing it.

Lavender 10-02-2013 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Revfan (Post 1585066025)
This is silly guys....
The C7 will be hitting the streets, track, and strip in growing numbers... as owners and "reviewers" get used to it, they will probably gain the "confidence" that they seemed to be lacking in the pre-production cars.

The C7 wins in Price and Objective assessments.... the Subjective stuff will come in time.

The reality is that more folks can afford a $55K C7 than a $65K+ Porsche... but those that want the Porsche and can afford it, will more than likely buy it.

No different that it has always been, except this time, they are buying the "Objectively" lesser car.

Nothing to see... move along.

*Edit*
1. Chevrolet - 151
2. BMW - 124
3. SRT - 115
4. Ferrari - 89
5. Porsche - 79

But BE PREPARED! When ALMS switches to Subjective assessment for the Championship... Porsche will be #1. Despite being in 5th place, the Drivers are having a better experience while doing it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Carnut12 10-02-2013 08:03 AM

Yes, and apparently many Porsche owners are not satisfied. Perhaps you might want to read this item from the September 16th version of Autoweek. :eek:

Imagine the outcry if this had been a Corvette related issue........:yesnod:

That model is over 10 years old, Porsche should be ashamed the way they handled it. That said GM is handling the LS7 in the same manner so slow down and look in the mirror. 2009 and up has no issues and 2006 and up has so few it is not even worth talking about. Anyone that buys a 996 Porsche besides the Turbo is rolling the dice, that is why they are so cheap. Worst 911 ever made IMO.

jimmyb 10-02-2013 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585062747)
Could simply be due to different criteria being used (sort of like different buyers having different criteria when buying a sports car): edmunds may have been using a track where the Cayman's power can match up better with the capabilities of its chassis, while Laguna Seca, with its long run uphill, can bring out the power of high horsepower cars and where the Cayman might feel underpowered.

Is that another way of saying its power level is matched appropriately to the capability of its chassis?

So what you're saying is that Porsche doesn't get a free pass. Got it.
Just because you remove negative idiosyncracies, that doesn't mean the car is less of a driver's car. It could mean that with unpredictable negative traits out of the way, you could now have a car that works with you to help you find the better driver within you, rather than one that frustrates you with its negative traits. I have yet to find a review that actually pines for terminal trailing throttle oversteer.

Then you're not old enough. There were NUMEROUS reviews complaining about 911's becoming too civilized. Since you love being literal, you are correct, no one ever bemoaned the trailing throttle oversteer demon by name being exorcised , but there is NO DOUBT that it is what every rag was talking about. And yes, Porsche has (and does) get a pass on the Boxster/Cayman need for more power except for Car and Driver. Certainly, the chassis is not stressed based on the amount of power that Porsche is WILLING to offer in the Boxster/Cayman. The same can be said of the Miata and the Subaru/Toyota twins.
Reality is that high powered sports cars will be laden with electronic "nannies", the electronics, at a level, re-write the rules of physics. Look at the GT-R.... does that car do ANYTHING approaching it's very high limits without the electronics? Obviously, no. Look at modern combat planes which are not flyable without the myriad of electronics.

Jimmy

ScottNC 10-02-2013 08:51 AM

Yes to both of those, but also for the list of considerations I listed too.
Nah, they really don't.

I think people who have thought about cars and have tested lots of cars build a framework of what is good subjectively. This is different than having a preconceived preference for a particular car. An umpire can call balls and strikes without liking either baseball team.
There you go again submitting opinion as fact. Wrong.
First, you have no way to know this. Second, there is no difference. And quite honestly, (I'm guessing you have never played team sports) - Umpires very often DO call plays based on personal bias.. ie. trends of a player/team , personal bias etc. Umps are human too - just as you are biased, other humans are too.

You can't have it both ways; marketing and branding and perception of quality and status by a manufacturer to "fool" people into buying their cars, and the manufacturer not being a cabal plotting to do just that.
Ridiculous statement. Look up the definition of Cabal please. By it's very definition a company can't be a Cabal.

The traits I described and that you mention above are not "BS". They are without question valid things to consider and assess.
Valid to who? To you? To the overwhelming majority of potential customers who buy a 911, Cayman, C7, or any other sports car?
You are either delusional and/or dishonest. I would wager all the money I have less than 1% of people who buy a 911 do so specifically because of a backseat, and it's all weather performance.

Porsche has status because of it's quality; workmanship, design, and how it delivers the driving experience. Some people undoubtedly buy a Porsche for status....
Is it a good car? sure. But you hit the nail on the head with the second sentence.

My suggestion to you is to decide what you like and can afford and then go buy it and be happy. Don't worry that others have a different opinion, and don't worry if another car has better objective numbers or is assessed by experienced drivers/professionals to have better subjective qualities than the car you decided on. Try not to get your feelings hurt if the car you drive doesn't finish first in magazine tests.
I think you assume too much when reading my posts. If what I say upsets you, I apologize. But I never really did like when people post on forums like this just to 'stir the pot'. Being attached to a nameplate is fine, but going to the extent you do on this forum is a little much.

ScottNC 10-02-2013 09:15 AM

Could simply be due to different criteria being used (sort of like different buyers having different criteria when buying a sports car): edmunds may have been using a track where the Cayman's power can match up better with the capabilities of its chassis, while Laguna Seca, with its long run uphill, can bring out the power of high horsepower cars and where the Cayman might feel underpowered.
Or it could be that the C7 is a better drivers car. Why do you even bother addressing this?

Is that another way of saying its power level is matched appropriately to the capability of its chassis?

So what you're saying is that Porsche doesn't get a free pass

So you would prefer that the car, rather than faithfully responding to how you want it to behave and where you want it to go, does something else and goes where you don't want it to go?

So what you're saying is that you would prefer a car that
1) countermands your steering input with an opposite reaction of its own,
2) obstructs your chosen gear input by randomly selecting a higher or lower gear than intended,

So in your mind, a car that...

You're saying there's no merit to this pursuit?
There you go again, trying to tell other people what they just said. Does this ever stop? How can you expect people to take anything you write seriously when you constantly try to frame their statements in a way that is disingenuous.
I know this is your 'shtick', but c'mon. All those quotes were from only like 2 of your posts. Try addressing what people say, not what you wish they said. You aren't running for office in here. :lol:

ScottNC 10-02-2013 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585062493)
His assessment might not necessarily be the same as yours or anyone else's.

Exactly.

But it's right in line with journalists' opinions on both sides of the Atlantic.

How well a car corners is not the same as how fast it corners. A Viper ACR can pull big g's on a skidpad or smooth track, but that doesn't mean it goes down a snaking mountain road as well as another car with lower ultimate limits on a skidpad.
Well, as defined by who? Subjective feel based on personal perception?
Journalists opinions? You mean the same journalists who survive on ad revenue from companies who spend a huge amount on marketing with the same entities that put out the articles?
I have already seen comparisons where the 'journalist' places the C7 above cars that have been judged 'better' than a 911 in many of the categories that have been mentioned. Yet somehow that changes when another journalist from another organization 'tests' these two cars?
I think we can all agree that 'subjective' is the key word here. I merely state that the 'subjective' aspect is part of a process that started many decades ago, and won't change overnight.

Let's make an actual case of an actual sports car vs an actual Cadillac: In Motor Trend's 2009 best driver's car test, the CTS-V outcornered the Miata on both the skidpad (0.94g vs 0.91g) as well as on the racetrack (1.33g vs 1.32g). The Cadillac has higher numbers, but which do you think is more fun? Which car has the more extensive reputation as a track car and club racer?
Quoting MT is a bad start.
Are you really trying to disprove what I said by asking if a 60k CTS-V luxury sedan is less popular as a weekend track car than a 2 seat Miata (that costs half the price or less)? In what world does that statement even make sense? Not only are there far fewer CTS-Vs simply because of price, but it is a car from a completely different segment. How bout comparing a Boxster to a Miata - which do you see more on the autocross scene?

In the same test, the BMW 135i also outscored the Miata objectively in acceleration, braking, and skidpad. It also turned in a lap time 6.2 seconds faster than the Miata, and peaked higher g in the corners. Yet the Miata finished 3rd while the BMW finished 9th. Here's why:

Those reasons seem reasonable to me.
Key words there - 'to me'. What is 'reasonable' to you does not mean it is reasonable to others who buy cars for a different reason than you.

I don't think you can be sure of that.
Why yes, I can be sure of it. :)

If anything, sales of the types of sports cars that the Corvette is vs sales of the types of cars that the Porsche is suggest most people don't consider outright speed to be an important factor.
That's because most people don't buy a Porsche to 'drive' it -which is exactly my point.

CorvetteFerrariFTW 10-02-2013 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Carnut12 (Post 1585066630)
That model is over 10 years old, Porsche should be ashamed the way they handled it. That said GM is handling the LS7 in the same manner so slow down and look in the mirror. 2009 and up has no issues and 2006 and up has so few it is not even worth talking about. Anyone that buys a 996 Porsche besides the Turbo is rolling the dice, that is why they are so cheap. Worst 911 ever made IMO.

Exactly. I don't want to hear about Porsche's superior quality when the aforementioned model years 911, Cayman and Boxster have had a major issue. Everyone acts like Porsche or other German brands have no dents and are perfect and never have any problems. They are no different than any other manufacturer around the world. No one is perfect. Not GM. Not Ferrari. Not Porsche. Not Tesla. Not MB. Not anyone. The way GM has handled the LS7 issues is a disgrace, in the same fashion as Porsche with their problem. But, somehow, with Porsche, it gets swept under the covers and everyone acts like they're bulletproof and the best thing since sliced bread. Yet, American cars are garbage. Please.

tuxnharley 10-02-2013 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by CorvetteFerrariFTW (Post 1585067870)
Exactly. I don't want to hear about Porsche's superior quality when the aforementioned model years 911, Cayman and Boxster have had a major issue. Everyone acts like Porsche or other German brands have no dents and are perfect and never have any problems. They are no different than any other manufacturer around the world. No one is perfect. Not GM. Not Ferrari. Not Porsche. Not Tesla. Not MB. Not anyone. The way GM has handled the LS7 issues is a disgrace, in the same fashion as Porsche with their problem. But, somehow, with Porsche, it gets swept under the covers and everyone acts like they're bulletproof and the best thing since sliced bread. Yet, American cars are garbage. Please.

:iagree: You nailed it! :thumbs:

:cheers:

tuxnharley 10-02-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585065923)

You're not going to get Porsche levels of build quality in everything else (interior fit & finish, panel gaps, etc) for a $1000 investment into your Corvette (which have their own share of issues).

$1000 (actually, the quote said $650 to $1000) for an engine tear down, mainshaft replacement and bearings in a Porsche engine?

In the words of one of my favorite actors, Sam Elliott - "Ah doubt it" !

I'll believe that when I see a copy of an invoice, not some undocumented second hand quote. :toetap:

Notch 10-02-2013 12:17 PM

Yes, and apparently many Porsche owners are not satisfied.

Are you opining that the IMS issue means there is no build quality in the rest of the car??

Notch 10-02-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ScottNC (Post 1585066991)
Nah, they really don't.

Yea, they really do.

And let me be more direct in what I said (re: "I think"); I know it to be true.

BTW, if you use the "quote" function the name of who you are quoting is included in the quote, making it much easier to know who you are posting to.

Umpires very often DO call plays based on personal bias..

Proof??

Notch 10-02-2013 12:41 PM

Ridiculous statement. Look up the definition of Cabal please. By it's very definition a company can't be a Cabal.

ca·bal noun \kə-ˈbäl, -ˈbal\ : a small group of people who work together secretly

johnglenntwo 10-02-2013 01:34 PM

Same Apples and Oranges Comparisons!

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette is fast. Terrifyingly fast at times. It dares even the best drivers to dial back the electronic nannies. And whatever your skill level, the Stingray's safety nets remove the driver from the equation in a way that also removes some small bit of the experience.

The 2014 Porsche Cayman S is the sports car distilled down to its most pure components. It mixes power and handling in such perfect proportion that driver aids are laughably unnecessary. And its higher build standard yields a sophistication the Stingray can't match. The little Porsche lacks the Corvette's bravado (it won't even do burnouts), and it struggles in any objective measure of speed relative to the Stingray.

But it doesn't matter. The Cayman S is a masterfully executed sports car that makes the numbers virtually irrelevant. It lulls its driver into a state of oneness unmatched by the Stingray. And in doing so it wins this test.

They are at least putting there finger on it! Race cars use TC! Cars now use AWD which is a form of TC. AWSteering is a handling and traction aid. They should be setting the cars up to their liking and letting the resulting times be secondary! They are getting it, since, these variables are spliting hairs to a smaller and smaller degree. And that makes that excuse less and less significant.:thumbs:

:rock:

Guibo 10-02-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Revfan (Post 1585066025)
*Edit*
1. Chevrolet - 151
2. BMW - 124
3. SRT - 115
4. Ferrari - 89
5. Porsche - 79
But BE PREPARED! When ALMS switches to Subjective assessment for the Championship... Porsche will be #1.
Despite being in 5th place, the Drivers are having a better experience while doing it.

Race cars = road cars? Here's a racer, Dario Franchitti, telling you why that's not necessarily the case.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6...ofranchitt.jpg

travisnd 10-02-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1 (Post 1585058611)
... cars that are down on hp, and thus are carrying less speed, making them more controllable(er, I'm sorry, predictable is the politically correct word now right?), are voted as "better handling." That's not the real world. Want to go fast in the real world? Nut up, shut up, and practice, practice, practice with your scary fast car, until it is even faster, but no longer as scary. Otherwise, get over, and putt putt along in a different car.

You've hit the nail on the head with this statement. Been racing Corvettes for many years... compete against lots of Vipers. People who think the cars can't handle don't know squat. When you're going that much faster and have that much more power at your disposal it's more demanding to drive. I've hopped back in a SpecMiata and Honda S2000s and I sort of chuckle when I'm driving fast laps... it's so easy.

johnglenntwo 10-02-2013 01:48 PM

!

But, lets face it the ideal scene would be for a Vette to still have a 5.7L(less low end power under the curve) and be making 500hp and 400lb of TORQUE.:thumbs::hide: BUT, THAT WOULDN'T BE SO GOOD FOR THE TRUCKS AND MPG(I guess?) THOUGH!:ack:

:rock:

Guibo 10-02-2013 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1585066761)
Then you're not old enough. There were NUMEROUS reviews complaining about 911's becoming too civilized.

If there are numerous than you should be able to find at least two. Make sure they say the 911 is less of a driver's car because of it too.

And yes, Porsche has (and does) get a pass on the Boxster/Cayman need for more power except for Car and Driver. Certainly, the chassis is not stressed based on the amount of power that Porsche is WILLING to offer in the Boxster/Cayman. The same can be said of the Miata and the Subaru/Toyota twins.

They don't get a pass. It's because the Cayman's power is properly matched to what the chassis can do. Chris Harris doesn't seem to have problems getting it sideways when he wants:
Obviously, if you're going to be attacking the Nurburgring with its 100 mph average speeds (have you?), then the Toyobarus will seem underpowered. But on the road, where conditions and visibility limit your pace, that's less of an issue. It has no problems overpowering its tires here:

Reality is that high powered sports cars will be laden with electronic "nannies", the electronics, at a level, re-write the rules of physics. Look at the GT-R.... does that car do ANYTHING approaching it's very high limits without the electronics? Obviously, no. Look at modern combat planes which are not flyable without the myriad of electronics.
Jimmy

The electronics don't re-write anything about the rules of physics. They just require us to think beyond simplistic power/wt ratios; they are simply using the rules of physics that previously hadn't been employed before.
As for the GT-R, only the AWD is not defeatable (as well as the ABS, but that's true for practically all cars). It sets its fastest times on the Nurburgring with the stability/traction systems off.
Combat planes...the analogy seems to apply to various Ferraris and to the F12 in particular. Autocar, Motor Trend, and TopGear didn't give the F12 a free pass on that. Why do you think they would give it to Porsche? Oh, that's right: The point your missing is that the Cayman/911 doesn't appear to knife its partner in the back, even with the stability/traction systems off.

Guibo 10-02-2013 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ScottNC (Post 1585067173)
Or it could be that the C7 is a better drivers car. Why do you even bother addressing this?

Could be, but unlike you I rely on more than one source before making a conclusion. The C7 could be better suited to Laguna Seca than the Cayman.

There you go again, trying to tell other people what they just said. Does this ever stop? How can you expect people to take anything you write seriously when you constantly try to frame their statements in a way that is disingenuous.

There you go again, trying to answer for others rather than letting them answer for themselves. They are more than welcome to answer them, as are you (good luck of that happening!).

Try addressing what people say, not what you wish they said. You aren't running for office in here. :lol:

I did address what they said. The poster, in his post, insinuated that journalists somehow give Porsche a free pass for its lack of power in the Boxster/Cayman. Yet in the same post he described how they complained about Porsches getting soft.
I'm no running for office anywhere. I'm just talking about cars.