CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/3349614-edmunds-comparison-test-c7-vs-cayman-s.html)

ByByBMW 10-13-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585164230)
Sure, the Cayman is an an amazing car.
But, the lack of power and the price tag is a JOKE.
IF the Cayman S had twin turbo, AWD, and PDK, I would buy one for the $65k.
But, Porsche is INSANE for asking these prices and anyone who pays Porshce's prices is an IDIOT.
Lastly, everyone knows the Cayman is a superior car to the 911, but Porsche artificially limits the Cayman in order not to kill their cash cow 911.
The 911 continues to the "god" for all the Porche fan bois, while retaining the inferior rear engine layout.
These facts, combined with the ridiculous asking price, are the reasons Porsche makes me sick and I hate the company.

With that said, once I drive the C7, I hope it equals the chassis and steering of the Porsche so I don't waste anymore time considering dropping a LS3 in a Cayman.
If GM gave the Corvette the OPTIONS of AWD and DCT it DESERVES, there would be no defendable reason to buy a Porsche.

I'm going to give both sides a little fuel for the fires.
A few CF guys came down to Tucson to run the 1/4 at SIR. A BRAND NEW C7 was one of them.
The C7's best was a 12.91, manual 7-speed.
My best was 13.15 PDK.

Now, PDK and launch control contribute a lot. Also, the C7 was hampered by being a BRAND NEW car driven not by the owner but a friend so he probably didn't push it as hard as it could have been.

But when you start saying the Cayman/Boxster is hampered by a lack of power, I think you must be just going by published Porsche numbers. These cars are much quicker than Porsche indicates. With a DA of 5300', by Porsche's numbers, the fastest I should have been able to go is about 13.7 seconds.

johnglenntwo 10-13-2013 08:07 PM

One More Time!

Porsche should put the Cayman on an equal footing with the 911s MAX power to shut everybody up.:thumbs: Everyone says it! If it didn't get too heavy and they could hold it together it would be bader then the 911, and probably the C7Z51 (with all its trim obviously).:yesnod: As it is not so much, boring! :smash:

:rock:

ByByBMW 10-13-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo (Post 1585167497)
Porsche should put the Cayman on an equal footing with the 911s MAX power to shut everybody up.:thumbs: Everyone says it! If it didn't get too heavy and they could hold it together it would be bader then the 911, and probably the C7Z51 (with all its trim obviously).:yesnod: As it is not so much, boring! :smash:

Yep. The talk even on the Porsche forums supports this.

Notch 10-13-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo (Post 1585167497)
Porsche should put the Cayman on an equal footing with the 911s MAX power to shut everybody up.

Not going to happen.

ByByBMW 10-14-2013 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Notch (Post 1585169040)
Not going to happen.

True, but it's to bad. The 981 is a much better platform.

HBJG 10-14-2013 09:08 AM

Porsche Cayman, Boxster GTS Variants to Get Power Bump

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-gt...#axzz2hhXLyh88

johnglenntwo 10-14-2013 01:17 PM

Using Restrictor Plates!

It is an inherent physical fact that smaller lesser powered cars are going to feel better, and be more stable, driving even though they are slower because of the straights.:toetap:

So they should put in power to weight ratio controls for that Best Drivers Car type testing so we can properly analyze how all that TECH lines up.:yesnod:

Signed,
The Master of the Obvious!:D

johnglenntwo 10-14-2013 01:34 PM

And How Much Do You Want To Bet!

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo (Post 1585172635)
It is an inherent physical fact that smaller lesser powered cars are going to feel better, and be more stable, driving even though they are slower because of the straights.:toetap:

So they should put in power to weight ratio controls for that Best Drivers Car type testing so we can properly analyze how all that TECH lines up.:yesnod:

Signed,
The Master of the Obvious!:D

The Vettes animal would be TAMED!:D

NICK YOSKIN 10-14-2013 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585173579)
Thanks for posting the link.
I read that article. I am NOT impressed.
Porsche is rumored to offer and additional 40hp?
Big deal. The Cayman has NO TORQUE and they will still probably want an additional $20k+ for the minimum power increase.

I've said it before, I would pay $65k for a Cayman S will the Turbo motor, AWD, and DCT. But, $75k+++ for a Cayman with a few extra ponies SQUEEZED out of their tiny naturally aspirated engine is a joke.
Porsche naturally aspirated engines, in general, are a joke compared to Corvette's LT1. I was out in the GT3 all night last night. No torgue and a ridiculous price tag on top. The engine sounds like crap compared to my Corvette and I couldn't wait to get out of that thing after the suspension beat me up all night. LT1 and MSRC for the win.

The only thing Porsche brings to the table is the Cayman, AWD, DCT and the Turbo motor. But, they all together in the Cayman S and you will have a car worth buying for $65k.
Everything else insults our intelligence, especially when compared to the C7.

WOW!
Alert!! "All you Motortrend, Road and Track mags ext....., we no longer need you!"
DCTandAWD has spoken!

Attention Porsche...your cars are not to DCTandAWD standards!

Funny I ran 11.7 @ 119.2 and the car certainly doesnt lack torque.
2013 991S PDK

OK according to you I am stupid so I will now go away...

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psa8c52fe1.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2266a638.jpg

johnglenntwo 10-14-2013 04:48 PM

Torque isn't always your friend!

Especially when they are comparing cars with far less and shutting off TC?:willy:

Right Randy!:smash:

NICK YOSKIN 10-14-2013 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585174227)
Shoulda got a turbo Nick.
Since I've been in your house, I know you can definitely afford it. :D
And, it definitely DOES lack torque. I can't believe anyone would say that it doesn't, ESPECIALLY you.

I like your new 911 for a commuter car, especially with the DCT, but I would never spend what you did for that, and I would never have bought a 911 without turbos and awd.
You already have a RWD beast.

Frankly, I'm shocked a boost addict who knows what real power is like you would settle for anything less than a Turbo.
I was bummed out when you got rid of your last Turbo.

Ah that 996TT handled like a shopping cart campaired to this new model!
The interior in this is faaaaaar superior too, not that would be very hard achieve.
I still have my Bam Bam so nothing from any manufactor will compair but that wasnt the point of this new car. I use it as a daily and will attend HPDE @ NJ motorsports park. Turbos are not ideal on the roadcourse plus the new 991S turbos arent not out yet.

Guibo 10-14-2013 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585173579)
The Cayman has NO TORQUE
The only thing Porsche brings to the table is the Cayman, AWD, DCT and the Turbo motor. But, they all together in the Cayman S and you will have a car worth buying for $65k.
Everything else insults our intelligence, especially when compared to the C7.

Considering GM doesn't offer an AWD car with Turbo levels of power and a DCT at $65k, why would you expect Porsche to do it? Does Mercedes? No. Does Audi? No. Does BMW? No. So the question remains: Who does?
Just to be clear, the NO TORQUE Cayman ran a 1:27.0 on this track, on the same day that the 631 lb-ft GT500 ran a 1:27.3. It ran a 1:41.26 at Laguna Seca, which is only a couple eyeblinks behind the '06 Z06. I don't recall anyone calling that car slow.

Guibo 10-14-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585165193)
Especially those.

What makes Corvette buyers who have also bought Porsches especially idiotic?

Guibo 10-14-2013 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD? (Post 1585175400)
Idiotic would be responding to you on here. I don't have the desire or the finger stamina to go post for post with someone who's post history on CF resembles encyclopedias of worthless magazine info.
I now Nick actually owns fast cars and actually takes them to the track instead of reading magazines. He's been in my Corvette as well.
Since I don't have the magazine reading and keyboard typing stamina that you have, what cars do you actually own and what track will you actually be running your cars so we can have this discussion verbally ??? :D

Then don't go post for post with me. Simply answer the question of why Corvette owners who also have bought Porsches are especially idiotic. The rest of your post doesn't get any closer to answering that question.
So...where is this $65k car with AWD, DCT, and Turbo levels of power?

punky 10-14-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585175467)
Then don't go post for post with me. Simply answer the question of why Corvette owners who also have bought Porsches are especially idiotic. The rest of your post doesn't get any closer to answering that question.
So...where is this $65k car with AWD, DCT, and Turbo levels of power?

Take a break Dude, nobody answers your stupid questions.