CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Comparison: Stingray vs. 911 vs. Ferrari F12 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3346023-comparison-stingray-vs-911-vs-ferrari-f12.html)

avalonandl 09-27-2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585025925)
But I don't care about what GM is doing, how they got the price so low or why they did it, I just care about the fact that I (and so many others) finally can afford a brand new world class sports car that offers everything (for the price) that I could possibly want. Now that may all change as the years go by but for now, at this point in time, the C7 fits me and my situation perfectly and the fact that I fell in love with the Corvette a decade ago makes it all that more great.

X2

And we can even order it in a red that is close to the Ferrari color.:rock:

Lavender 09-27-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585026451)
I don't recall Notch's statement on that issue, but let's say that, during a magazine test, the magazine (without input from the manufacturer) adds pressure from stock to one car's tires. Let's say that within the same test, another car's engineering team is actually on hand, they know the track conditions, they recommend lowering the tire pressures from stock for their car. Are you quite sure the two cars now perform the same way relative to each other as if they were both at stock tire pressures?

I can't recall speaking to you by the way..:rofl:

jackhall99 09-27-2013 04:11 PM

To all on CF: As I've followed this thread, I have been blessed to not read Guibo's inane, petty and argumentative posts since I added him to my ignore list a few months ago. It really makes life soooo much better. :woohoo:

I only see his bovine deification now when one of you quote him to continue to debate this "person".

If all of you add him to your ignore list, you will not have to read his crappy post. Your enjoyment level on CF as we discuss our cars will increase dramatically. And your BP will go down 20 points, so there are health benefits to taking this action. :thumbs:

Everyone's choice, of course, but I have not missed reading his crap one iota during the past several months. :D

Now back to the topic. :cheers:

Guibo 09-27-2013 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585027080)
You are correct, I was criticizing MT as well as other magazines, not necessarily on this comparison but others in the past where they chose "better" cars based on a point system where cargo volume, fit and finish and other non driving factors were included. To me the size of one's trunk has nothing to do with how a car handles or drives or performs.

It doesn't, but here's the thing: One car could handle just as well as another but if its trunk is large enough and its fit & finish is better, then that deserves some consideration in their test. It is they, after all, who is doing the test and not you. Just as with the general population, outright handling, power, or track times is not the only consideration, nor should it necessarily be for what are still essentially road cars. Not race cars. Which leads into my question, which I'll repeat:
You have 8 other cars...is any of them a pure sports car with none or few of the compromises for practicality and refinement?

Guibo 09-27-2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lavender (Post 1585027139)
I can't recall speaking to you by the way..:rofl:

By posting on this forum, you've made a comment that is addressable by everyone who can see it, including me. I can't recall you answering my question, BTW. ;)

Guibo 09-27-2013 04:18 PM

"And your BP will go down 20 points, so there are health benefits to taking this action. :thumbs:"

:rofl:

jackhall99 09-27-2013 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteFerrariFTW (Post 1585024219)
... but I really hope they minimize or fix it in this generation. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I wonder if the problem is inherit to the design of the car. In other words, you turn off all the electric nannies in this car, what is its natural behavior? ....

I take this statement as a "slap" at the C7's mid-corner handling comment. If I am incorrect, I apologize. The C7 uses some nannies, and it is an awesome car because of them.

You are probably too young, by 40 years or so, to understand the 911 was a car that would kill you in a split second. Turn off the nannies in the current Porsche 911 variant and most of the world's serious car drivers would not care for its "natural behavior" either.

Originally Posted by CorvetteFerrariFTW (Post 1585024219)
... What does this have to do with Corvettes? To me, it's not good enough to be second to the 911 or or almost as good as the 911. That's not a success, IMO. That's not a win. ....

Everyone has their own opinion. God bless America. :flag: The C7 is a winner to almost everybody who 'gets' sports cars. If you don't believe this car is not a winner, OK.

:cheers:

ivanjo11 09-27-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by travisnd (Post 1585026916)
There is no snap oversteer... S2000s have snap oversteer, Z3 BMWs have snap oversteer. Corvettes don't. The car has some corner entry oversteer by design

Probst ran the car with PTM in race mode.

I'd also like to address this recalibration that he brings up. The Corvette engineers informed us there was a software update they'd like to install and we let them do it, but it was not a night-and-day change. It was, per the Corvette engineers, a small tweaking of the magnetic ride control settings. Per Randy, the real difference he felt was in running a hot lap in Sport mode rather than Race. He felt the Race mode shock settings were too stiff and caused the car to be more loose. Sport was softer and let it hook up better. But again, by the time he did that lap, we weren't able to rig it with data collection equipment.

Read more: http://forums.motortrend.com/70/9567...#ixzz2g7ygnFIa

Randy time was in Sport Mode.

VIN666 09-27-2013 04:48 PM

So in the interview Randy said the car felt soft and had "a lot" of body roll by comparison.
Then in the write up it says the car is too stiff... Which is it now?

themonk 09-27-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585027337)
It doesn't, but here's the thing: One car could handle just as well as another but if its trunk is large enough and its fit & finish is better, then that deserves some consideration in their test. It is they, after all, who is doing the test and not you. Just as with the general population, outright handling, power, or track times is not the only consideration, nor should it necessarily be for what are still essentially road cars. Not race cars. Which leads into my question, which I'll repeat:
You have 8 other cars...is any of them a pure sports car with none or few of the compromises for practicality and refinement?

Well then you might as well add some other criteria that has nothing to do with performance like which one looks better, which has the better exhaust note, or who's rims are more sparkly.....and you're right, I'm not doing the test, they are, so what makes their opinion any more valuable than mine, or the next guys? When they base their opinion on things that are subjective which in turn determines the out come then the whole testing procedure in bunk, doesn't hold water, but hey, if you agree with them good on ya, I reserve the right to choose my own winner based on my own tests.

As for my 8 other cars, not one of them is a pure sports car, my two Corvettes (well one now) were the closest I've got to having a pure sports car and when my C7 arrives it will be a pure sports car.

Guibo 09-27-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by VIN666 (Post 1585027592)
So in the interview Randy said the car felt soft and had "a lot" of body roll by comparison.

Could be a lot of body roll by comparison to the Porsche. And too stiff in that setting for the damping.

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1585026803)
The other thing is Randy posted its best lap time with the Sports setting, then what is the use of the Race mode?
If you can't put a better lap time in that mode with the stiffer shocks settings..

Race mode could be optimal for an even smoother track, or autocross. For people who like a racier feel on a smooth road, it could also be a benefit. IIRC, when C&D first tested the ZR1, it was faster in the softer mode than in the hardest suspension mode.

ivanjo11 09-27-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585027747)
Could be a lot of body roll by comparison to the Porsche. And too stiff in that setting for the damping.

Race mode could be optimal for an even smoother track, or autocross. For people who like a racier feel on a smooth road, it could also be a benefit. IIRC, when C&D first tested the ZR1, it was faster in the softer mode than in the hardest suspension mode.

Okay and which mode they use for the hot Nurburgring lap times?

Guibo 09-27-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585027720)
Well then you might as well add some other criteria that has nothing to do with performance like which one looks better, which has the better exhaust note, or who's rims are more sparkly.....and you're right, I'm not doing the test, they are, so what makes their opinion any more valuable than mine, or the next guys? When they base their opinion on things that are subjective which in turn determines the out come then the whole testing procedure in bunk, doesn't hold water, but hey, if you agree with them good on ya, I reserve the right to choose my own winner based on my own tests.
As for my 8 other cars, not one of them is a pure sports car, my two Corvettes (well one now) were the closest I've got to having a pure sports car and when my C7 arrives it will be a pure sports car.

Some tests do add those criteria (minus sparkly rims). And even more. Ride quality (some German mags even test it with and without passengers), gearbox smoothness, wet traction, engine NVH, interior noise levels, etc. That's because all of these manufacturers take all of these into consideration when developing their cars. We're not talking about Caterham and Ariel here. You're not just buying a raw set of numbers. You're buying a car (and for some people, an entire experience). And the customers look at those things too.
What maybe makes their opinion more valuable is that they have tested all three of these cars over the same roads and on the same track at the same time, so (perhaps?) with 4-5 editors' opinions, plus that of a hired racing driver, they may have some basis by which to assess relative value.
As to the previous question of who cares what journalists think, GM certainly cared enough to hire journalists to critique their newer models. Aston Martin cared enough to call in Evo Magazine when they gave a less than stellar review of one of their cars. McLaren cared enough to call in the same magazine when its MP4-12C was beaten by the Ferrari 458.

Pure sports car...with power windows, power seats, power mirrors, A/C, sound system, AFM, cupholders, remote keyless entry, etc.

Guibo 09-27-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1585027781)
Okay and which mode they use for the hot Nurburgring lap times?

I don't know.

gthal 09-27-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1585026711)
:iagree:

That snap oversteer has to be fix if not next year in the 2014 best driver car the C7 is going to finish again behind the 911.

And in the more track oriented Z06 or Z07 that simply can't happen because the GT3 handles even better than the 911S.

I will like to know what Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter would have to say about this.

Snap oversteer? Where are you getting this? Any high powered RWD car will have snap oversteer with electronics off or turned down. The reports on the C7 is that the car allows you to push it closer to the limit than any Corvette before it.n I think there is a bit of overstatement here.

gthal 09-27-2013 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by VIN666 (Post 1585027592)

Part of the issue is that the car has so many modes it probably takes some time to get the settings right for how you prefer them. Also, didn't someone say that this pre release car was reprogrammed by the engineers there and they got better results?

VIN666 09-27-2013 05:46 PM

Snap oversteer seems to be a new buzzword.
Best to just forget about it...

Reminds me of torque steer on the SRT4 forums...
Good lord.

themonk 09-27-2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585027906)
Some tests do add those criteria. And even more. Ride quality (some German mags even test it with and without passengers), gearbox smoothness, wet traction, engine NVH, interior noise levels, etc. That's because all of these manufacturers take all of these into consideration when developing their cars. We're not talking about Caterham and Ariel here. You're not just buying a raw set of numbers. You're buying a car (and for some people, an entire experience). And the customers look at those things too.
What maybe makes their opinion more valuable is that they have tested all three of these cars over the same roads and on the same track at the same time, so (perhaps?) with 4-5 editors' opinions, plus that of a hired racing driver, they may have some basis by which to assess relative value.
As to the previous question of who cares what journalists think, GM certainly cared enough to hire journalists to critique their newer models. Aston Martin cared enough to call in Evo Magazine when they gave a less than stellar review of one of their cars. McLaren cared enough to call in the same magazine when its MP4-12C was beaten by the Ferrari 458.

Pure sports car...with power windows, power seats, power mirrors, A/C, sound system, AFM, cupholders, remote keyless entry, etc.

So you buy your cars based on what journalists think, wow, interesting, I for one don't, I'm fully capable of making up my own mind.

Yes pure sports car, just because it happens to have those things doesn't make it any less of a sports car. I didn't realize that a sports car had to be an F1.

Guibo 09-27-2013 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585028281)
So you buy your cars based on what journalists think, wow, interesting, I for one don't, I'm fully capable of making up my own mind.
Yes pure sports car, just because it happens to have those things doesn't make it any less of a sports car. I didn't realize that a sports car had to be an F1.

No, I don't buy my cars based on what journalists think. I never said that. The question was asked: What makes their opinion any more valuable? I've given some reasons why their opinions may have more value, as well as examples of how the manufacturers themselves value their input. This is not to say that they don't get input from individual owners who track their cars, but if you haven't talked to them...
Neither a Caterham nor an Ariel are F1 cars. But it is a fact that GM markets the Corvette as a luxury sports car. As such, it is perfectly reasonable IMO to evaluate how it compares not only as a sports car, but also as a luxury item. Those things I mentioned clearly are not there to make the car go faster; indeed, their aggregate weight probably makes the car go slower. And the Porsche has even more of that stuff, yet is able to lap within 0.72 seconds on a 1:38 lap. That's smaller than time differential that C&D found between Pirelli PZeros and Michelin Pilot Super Sports using a control vehicle on a 60-second autocross course.

tuxnharley 09-27-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585027337)
I

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585027720)

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585027906)

Pure sports car...with power windows, power seats, power mirrors, A/C, sound system, AFM, cupholders, remote keyless entry,
etc.

Me thinks Guibo wants a MG TD.:D

Heck, even many pure race cars have A/C these days!