CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Comparison: Stingray vs. 911 vs. Ferrari F12 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3346023-comparison-stingray-vs-911-vs-ferrari-f12.html)

JudgeNjury 09-26-2013 09:54 PM

The c7 z51 with MRC rocks! 200

Turbooo2u 09-26-2013 10:08 PM

The video was impressive but I was a little disappointed again to learn the Vette is tail-happy (on entry) and needs the computer to make you look good on exit. I wish it had a curvy hood like the Ferrari but it was an impressive showing, I still may buy one.:yesnod::cheers:

GZire 09-26-2013 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shaka (Post 1585005105)
The MO of MT since it's inception is to accept large payments from Porsche. It is by far the worst car magazine.

That's funny because I hear the same thing about Car & Driver except it's BMW.:willy:

jackhall99 09-26-2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carnut12 (Post 1585005302)
I am sure it has nothing to do with them preferring the Car..........here we go again.

Did you read this part of the Article-

Remember, if you could boil down what we're looking for when it comes to a Best Driver's Car, confidence might be the ultimate factor. The 911 has it in spades. Explained Lago, "There always seems to be more grip in the front tires, and you can get away with utterly nonsensical speeds through corners. Never tells you anything's going to go wrong, only tells you to go faster." Evans said more or less the same thing. "After talking to Randy, I think the car is so good that it no longer really challenges you with its own flaws. Instead, it challenges you with your flaws." The 911 C4S proves you really and truly can drift an AWD car.

Did you skip these sentances-

The new Corvette absolutely rocks. Around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, I found it nearly as planted as the 911. That said, I believe the 991 iteration of the 911 has the best suspension damping in the history of the production car.

Why can't some of you just accept that they are all great cars and some people including Magazines professional drivers will prefer one over the other.

Very well stated.:thumbs:

LEE427 09-26-2013 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1585017680)
Lee...he doesn't have any, but he once drove a V6 Mustang rental car in 2005.
:lolg:
S.

:lol: :lol: I bet his dad was with him too..

SBC_and_a_stick 09-26-2013 11:42 PM

1:38 is frighteningly fast. I was at Laguna in the last 30 days and not one person went that fast in any car when I was there. That means you can pick up a C7 from the dealer and be the fastest guy on a weekend track event.

It really doesn't matter that the F car was .2 sec faster. That's nothing, when:
A: you will never run into an F12 wheel to wheel racing on a closed course
B: driver skill trumps all by a factor of 1 million

Turbooo2u 09-26-2013 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1585022309)
1:38 is frighteningly fast. I was at Laguna in the last 30 days and not one person went that fast in any car when I was there. That means you can pick up a C7 from the dealer and be the fastest guy on a weekend track event.

It really doesn't matter that the F car was .2 sec faster. That's nothing, when:
A: you will never run into an F12 wheel to wheel racing on a closed course
B: driver skill trumps all by a factor of 1 million

Not if you're up against a slower car with a better driver.:D

SBC_and_a_stick 09-27-2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u (Post 1585022365)
Not if you're up against a slower car with a better driver.:D

True story. Its more likely to lose to a Miata than to an F12. In fact, Im pretty sure the average driver here would lose to at least 1 miata/weekend.

Z06Ronald 09-27-2013 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u (Post 1585021632)
The video was impressive but I was a little disappointed again to learn the Vette is tail-happy (on entry) and needs the computer to make you look good on exit. I wish it had a curvy hood like the Ferrari but it was an impressive showing, I still may buy one.:yesnod::cheers:

Now that's funny! :lol:
Only a few month back people - not you, btw - complained that the hood of the C7 was too curvy! :D

CorvetteFerrariFTW 09-27-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u (Post 1585021632)

It won't change how I choose with my wallet, but I really hope they minimize or fix it in this generation. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I wonder if the problem is inherit to the design of the car. In other words, you turn off all the electric nannies in this car, what is its natural behavior? The SLS AMG Black Series is a front-engine car that was applauded by MT, 2nd in their 2013 Best Driver's Car Competition. I haven't checked the numbers, but I think the MB might be lower, wider, and longer, and I think it has a longer hood, similar to the F12 or Viper. The goal should be still the same, though, match or exceed the 911.

I look at it like this, whether it's in the office or on the football field in the NFL. As a team, you don't go out with the bravado and attitude of, "well, let's give it our best effort and hope to come out on top", if the goal is to be number one. In the NFL, if a team has an intimidation factor of the opposing team, even before they step on the field, and don't believe that they can win and that their the better team, they will probably lose!

What does this have to do with Corvettes? To me, it's not good enough to be second to the 911 or or almost as good as the 911. That's not a success, IMO. That's not a win. It's like when you throw a ball in baseball: You don't throw at the target, you throw past the target. You should act like you belong there, that you are the best. I love Corvettes and I wouldn't feel as strongly about them being a better car than the 911 if I didn't feel they were close. The gap has shortened. I get that the 911 is the standard. I respect it. But I think these engineers are smart and resourceful enough to remedy these issues and give it another go.

bigwoolyg 09-27-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by CorvetteFerrariFTW (Post 1585024219)
It won't change how I choose with my wallet, but I really hope they minimize or fix it in this generation. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I wonder if the problem is inherit to the design of the car. In other words, you turn off all the electric nannies in this car, what is its natural behavior? The SLS AMG Black Series is a front-engine car that was applauded by MT, 2nd in their 2013 Best Driver's Car Competition. I haven't checked the numbers, but I think the MB might be lower, wider, and longer, and I think it has a longer hood, similar to the F12 or Viper. The goal should be still the same, though, match or exceed the 911.

I look at it like this, whether it's in the office or on the football field in the NFL. As a team, you don't go out with the bravado and attitude of, "well, let's give it our best effort and hope to come out on top", if the goal is to be number one. In the NFL, if a team has an intimidation factor of the opposing team, even before they step on the field, and don't believe that they can win and that their the better team, they will probably lose!

What does this have to do with Corvettes? To me, it's not good enough to be second to the 911 or or almost as good as the 911. That's not a success, IMO. That's not a win. It's like when you throw a ball in baseball: You don't throw at the target, you throw past the target. You should act like you belong there, that you are the best. I love Corvettes and I wouldn't feel as strongly about them being a better car than the 911 if I didn't feel they were close. The gap has shortened. I get that the 911 is the standard. I respect it. But I think these engineers are smart and resourceful enough to remedy these issues and give it another go.

I am with you on the whole play to win the game thing.. but maybe this is more like baseball, since NFL has salary caps, the automotive analogue would be to cap the price of the car (and the development budgets) to see who can make the best car.. This is more like moneyball, with the ferrari's and porsches of the world being the yankees, dodgers, etc and chevy being the A's. I think the vette is good enough to go to the big show, and this is one magazine's subjective judgement of the better car. The vette out-paces it on a road course, that's impressive given the half the cost pricing, not sure of dev costs..

i mean while we're on sports analogies..

:D

TBIRD57 09-27-2013 10:36 AM

dumbest test yet!

i'll wait for MIT to do a real scientific comparison.

MT should have thrown in a viper and gt-r into this mix and match
comparison. oh heck, they may as well have just included a veyron.
UNLESS, they thought they wouldn't get the results they wanted.
nah, would MT ever do that? really!

Guibo 09-27-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1585021160)
Putting you on ignore is useless when you derail and wreck nearly every thread in which you and your alter ego participate.
We already know you glean all of your info from magazines and internet searches, so you have nothing of interest to say to those of us who have and race various cars and can read it on our own if we are interested. Most of us aren't interested in the rambling, multi-paragraph clusterphucks you post here for the apparent sport of trying to prove your opinion correct.
I suppose you don't post on Rennlist or 6speed because the owners of the cars you worship would likely run you off the board or ban you. Here, they're much more tolerant, to the dismay of many of us.
S.

Nope, not all of my info is from magazine and internet searches. You said it yourself.
You 'race' your cars on a road course in bone stock form? BS you do.
I don't post on Rennlist or 6speed because
a) I have no real interest in buying a Porsche
b) those folks already have an idea of what a car is worth in the grand scheme of things (and in case you missed it, it's not just about track times). It is now you who is derailing this discussion, turning it into a strangely personal vendetta rather than focusing on the cars being discussed.

Snorman 09-27-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585025194)
You 'race' your cars on a road course in bone stock form? BS you do.

Again, a clearly ignorant statement. Yes, I do. Bone stock car, OEM tires the only thing changed was the brake fluid and oil during normal fluid changes. I even run OEM brake pads.
There's no "vendetta". I and a great many other people in this section are tired of watching you ruin perfectly good threads with your nut-hugging bullsh*t. Especially now that our cars are being delivered. You are, for all accounts, a useless nuisance on this board.
And you driving a 2005 V6 Mustang rental car doesn't qualify you to comment on the handling characteristics of Boss, GT500 and other variants built 8-9 years later. This same philosophy applies to just about everything you post, except to an even greater degree.
S.

Guibo 09-27-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by themonk (Post 1585021489)
No, I'm saying that I would sacrifice cargo space, NAV, a sunroof and other non-performance enhancing dodads for a fast car, I didn't really think my original statement was so vague. :confused:

And which car from GM fits that bill? I know it's not the Corvette, because it has plenty of cargo space, NAV, a targa top and other non-performance enhancing doodads. Speaking of Miatas, what you're describing sounds like a spec Miata, the drivers of which I'm guessing would burn plenty of people's asses in their C7s. You can pick these up for $10-30k all day long.

Guibo 09-27-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1585025254)
Again, a clearly ignorant statement. Yes, I do. Bone stock car, OEM tires the only thing changed was the brake fluid and oil during normal fluid changes. I even run OEM brake pads.
There's no "vendetta". I and a great many other people in this section are tired of watching you ruin perfectly good threads with your nut-hugging bullsh*t. Especially now that our cars are being delivered.
And you driving a 2005 V6 Mustang rental car doesn't qualify you to comment on the handling characteristics of Boss, GT500 and other variants built 8-9 years later. This same philosophy applies to just about everything you post, except to an even greater degree.
S.

Really, you raced? What did you win? And how do you know the other guy was equally skilled? You don't. If that brake fluid didn't come on the car from the showroom, it's not bone stock.
And yet those handling characteristics were echoed by another member in that thread, as well as by professional car testers themselves. It's not a coincidence. I didn't say it made me qualified to comment (notice how many people here have probably never even driven a Ferrari F12, yet you don't challenge them on their qualifications) on a GT500. I just said I can get where Pobst was coming from. It's not a trait I've found in other modern cars and Pobst didn't find it in the other cars he tested either. Coincidence??

darkmercury 09-27-2013 12:35 PM

The F12 and our C7's engines sounds like a Choir of Angels!

johnglenntwo 09-27-2013 12:54 PM

Pobst Corners Corvette!

He said the C7 wasn't yet the best Vette to him. Which Vette was the best Vette the one he helped bash because of its tire packing prowess:

Chevrolet decided to offer slicks as an option for the 2012 model year, and our Corvette came so equipped. In the Corvette's defense, the Porsche GT3 RS also came packing basically the same sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. However, they're different spec, and the autobahnstuermer's tires had tread all the way around. Not the 'Vette's meats. A quarter of the enormously wide 345s had no tread at all. The refrain then became, "Sure, the 'Vette's fast. But put those tires on the LFA, and let's see what's what." Still, the grip was epic. Markus explained, "Heroic tire grip better matches the 7-liter's big-lunged, basso, boffo performance, allowing mere mortals to safely and confidently explore a tiny bit more of the car's enormous performance envelope." Moreover, this Z06 performed the shortest stop we've ever tested: 60-0 mph in 94 feet. It also posted the fastest figure-eight time, well, ever. But no one would credit the car for either excellent stat, only the tires.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz2g737wWrf

The GT3 had a wing and was said to be a handful, but, that makes it a real mechanical machine:

You're paying for it, but the GT3 RS is the real deal, most hardcore 911 ever developed for the street. Said Randy, "The grip, the tire grip, incredible. The braking, incredible. I mean, just in another league. It is that close to a race car. Really so familiar. The steering is absolutely perfect. That's about it, real pure driver's car. Race car. Race car!" In fact, the magic might be in the flaws. Yes, the engine's slung way out back and, despite Porsche's iron-headed best efforts, the GT3 RS will still spin you into a tree if you lift mid-corner.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz2g73s7v00

RANDY POBST IS A TRAITOR!:willy:

tuxnharley 09-27-2013 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585025309)
Really, you raced? What did you win? And how do you know the other guy was equally skilled? You don't. If that brake fluid didn't come on the car from the showroom, it's not bone stock.

What an inane statement, apparently made just for the sake of trying to win an argument purely on the basis of semantics. :willy:

Gee, I suppose folks aren't supposed to change their oil or clutch fluid or coolant as it ages either.....................:crazy:

themonk 09-27-2013 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1585025265)
And which car from GM fits that bill? I know it's not the Corvette, because it has plenty of cargo space, NAV, a targa top and other non-performance enhancing doodads. Speaking of Miatas, what you're describing sounds like a spec Miata, the drivers of which I'm guessing would burn plenty of people's asses in their C7s. You can pick these up for $10-30k all day long.

I really don't think you're understanding what I'm saying:

I don't care about cargo space, a sunroof, NAV or other non go fast options, that's what I have 8 other cars for, in my sports car I want performance and that's it, I couldn't care less about the harshness of the ride, if it's a stiff as a board but handles like it's on rails so be it. Admittedly I also want a great sound system because for me it enhances the drive, you can keep your 3LT, I chose the 2LT because I get all that I want and none of what I don't.