CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3330587-edmunds-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-vs-2013-srt-viper-track-test.html)

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1 (Post 1584783318)
Did you have anything constructive to add here or is it more a place to simply be negative when any opportunity presents itself?

Sam never has anything constructive to add in this section except to cheerlead people who post negative comments about the C7 and post smileys. He hides behind the excuse that he is here to get info on the "hipo" version of the C7 and claims if it's offered in an "auto" he'll get one (but now presumably he has an "interest" in buying a 2013 Viper).
Very soon, once those of us buying C7's get them, I'm sure Sam and his ilk will slink away from this section. :yesnod:
S.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584783338)
I can row gears for the right $$$'s.

I guess new C6Z's selling in the $60's and $70's isn't the "right $$$'s", eh Sam?
S.

Achmed 08-28-2013 01:26 PM

Two things I learned from the article:

1) The numerous side-by-side photos makes me feel the C7 has better exterior styling than the Viper

2) I should get the auto not the m7 for more consistent times.

jvp 08-28-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584783367)
Very soon, once those of us buying C7's get them, I'm sure Sam and his ilk will slink away from this section.

The better solution is to just put him and others on your ignore list and go about your enjoyment of the forum. If folks stop quoting and replying to them, their trolling will result in nothing. And they'll go away.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Achmed (Post 1584783395)
Two things I learned from the article:

1) The numerous side-by-side photos makes me feel the C7 has better exterior styling than the Viper

2) I should get the auto not the m7 for more consistent times.

If you're planning on spending lots of time drag racing it, the auto would likely be a better choice. If you want to track the car, or just prefer a manual, the M7 is a fine choice. You probably can't go wrong with either, but I do think that ultimately the A6 cars will be quicker (obviously with less trap speed).
S.

PDCjonny 08-28-2013 01:30 PM

A lot of the Vipers you see for sale were factory ordered by dealers ahead of the regular customers. They ordered the most expensive GTS model, all the bells and whistles and were shocked when they didn't just jump off the lots at 140K. They thought there would be a huge demand for the new Gen 5 and it was lukewarm at best. No one, not even the diehards were going to pay 140K for a Dodge, period. But these cars are heavily optioned so they can offer 10K off and still make money. Those are the ones being discounted. But you are still talking about 130K cars.

Blancpain 08-28-2013 01:30 PM

Sam never has anything constructive to add in this section except to cheerlead people who post negative comments about the C7 and post smileys. He hides behind the excuse that he is here to get info on the "hipo" version of the C7 and claims if it's offered in an "auto" he'll get one (but now presumably he has an "interest" in buying a 2013 Viper).
Very soon, once those of us buying C7's get them, I'm sure Sam and his ilk will slink away from this section. :yesnod:
S.

I hope so, he makes reading these forums tedious.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1584783414)
The better solution is to just put him and others on your ignore list and go about your enjoyment of the forum. If folks stop quoting and replying to them, their trolling will result in nothing. And they'll go away.

I have around 6-8 people on ignore now. Sam was on it a few months ago. At one point I took him off and never added him again. That's being fixed right now. :lol:
S.

speedlink 08-28-2013 01:36 PM

Good article, thanks for posting. These articles day by day just keep getting better for the C7! Wow, when we get the next Z06 type version, watch out!

Michael A 08-28-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by flatcrank (Post 1584780054)
the Stingray has raise the bar and all the above named makers are surely staring into the black night sky and muttering to themselves about bloody Americans and their bloody V8's.

:rofl:

Their bloody pushrod V8's, no less!:lol:

Michael

Silver05GTO 08-28-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584783425)
A lot of the Vipers you see for sale were factory ordered by dealers ahead of the regular customers. They ordered the most expensive GTS model, all the bells and whistles and were shocked when they didn't just jump off the lots at 140K. They thought there would be a huge demand for the new Gen 5 and it was lukewarm at best. No one, not even the diehards were going to pay 140K for a Dodge, period. But these cars are heavily optioned so they can offer 10K off and still make money. Those are the ones being discounted. But you are still talking about 130K cars.

Dodge should've improved the Viper in price.....bragging rights alone won't sell them. Unless they are OK with the limited sales, the people who can swing the purchase certainly have an exclusive car.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO (Post 1584783559)
Dodge should've improved the Viper in price.....bragging rights alone won't sell them. Unless they are OK with the limited sales, the people who can swing the purchase certainly have an exclusive car.

I'll point out that previous generations of Vipers aren't really very exclusive. You can buy a Gen IV car for about what you'd pay for a decently optioned new '14 Corvette ($60's-70's). Some sellers are trying to get $80's for non-ACR cars, but IMO they aren't going to sell very quickly (if at all), and now SRT is going to have to start discounting the Gen V cars as we get into winter.
S.

flatcrank 08-28-2013 01:56 PM

The other thing I get out of that review is that the brakes in the Z51 are ample. I was budgeting on upgrades, but it doesn't look like it. I'm buying the Stingray as a sole purpose track car, so that's literally money in my pocket if I don't have to upgrade the brakes. Of course that money will be out of my pocket in the form of a cage and seat and suspension anyway. So if anyone has those things solved for the C7, I'm all ears ... impatient ears ... just itching to drive this thing!

yellowray 08-28-2013 02:05 PM

I'm actually surprised the Mustang Shelby GT500 is #9! Either Willow Springs has some good straits, the suspension was modified or the driver really had a good day and let it hang out to the ragged edge.

flatcrank 08-28-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1584783555)
:rofl:

Their bloody pushrod V8's, no less!:lol:

Michael

Absolutely. And I see the benefit there in practical terms (packaging in the vehicle) and the pedigree from the beginning of the history of the Corvette. Though I still question it because I prefer a high and wide rpm range. I used to drive 911 turbo's by preference, but the GT3 opens your eyes to the advantage on track to have one (or two, or three!) less gear shifts because you can hold 3rd or 4th to 8500 or even 9000 rpm now, instead of repeatedly closing the throttle. Of course dual clutch boxes take all that away. I'm also unimpressed by the over, over, overdrive tremec. I was (naively) expecting 6 gears all underdrive and all below 150mph with one long, tall, sally to make the march to 200 mph or bring the rpm down to idle at 75mph, so I think that's a question mark. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If the Stingray can turn 1.05G on Sport Cups, that's something amazing. To stop on a dime, I don't need more brakes so long as they don't fade after a half day on track. So the Stingray is really starting to look like a near "turn key" track day car. As one journo put it, the Stingray is no excuses, a legit "sports car muscle car."

ps. I agree with your avatar message. 65mph "one size fits all" and a ticket whether you're in a new Vette or a $800 minivan that someone bought off Craigslist with four different tires bought by four different owners, and nobody has checked the brakes or the steering in the last 30K miles, and the kids are playing tag in the back, the driver is eating and changing radio stations, steering with the inside of his left wrist, it's night and it's raining ...

sam90lx 08-28-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584783442)
I have around 6-8 people on ignore now. Sam was on it a few months ago. At one point I took him off and never added him again. That's being fixed right now. :lol:
S.

Quit lying....your not putting anyone on Ignore! You like to argue...must be a lawyer right?

sam90lx 08-28-2013 02:20 PM

S.

No different from the cheerleader C7 fan bois!
Also, I'm not going anywhere...get use to it!

sam90lx 08-28-2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584783381)
I guess new C6Z's selling in the $60's and $70's isn't the "right $$$'s", eh Sam?
S.

I agree...lots of options. The Slow Base C7 is not one of them!

Guibo 08-28-2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584781110)
It also appears to me the C7 was a Z51 and the viper a base w/out the track pack, yes it's 30k more but it's not a mass produced dime a dozen car.

Harsh way of putting it (and at even ~20-25k/yr, the C7 will hardly be dime a dozen), but point taken about the exclusivity. For many Viper buyers, that will be a big part of the appeal. As will its rawness, and certain detailing (like the giant clamshell hood, attention to paint finish, etc).

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1584781471)
I thought you guys were saying that the skinny tires on the C7 were just as good as the wide tires on the C6 Z06. Now you're saying the C7 needs wide tires to keep up with a car that has wide tires. Which is it?

Not sure what everyone else was saying, but I was using the Grand Sport as a reference. I don't think the C7 would necessarily grip or corner as hard as the C6Z, and certainly not it its optional Cup tires. Another way of putting it is the C7 might merely need Viper-wide tires to keep up with the Viper (or Viper levels of power on the same-size tires). This should be viewed as a positive for the GM team.

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1584782360)
Hate to say it but I'm less than impressed with the c7 performance...
Something's off ...maybe the driver?
I'm sure the c7 is a great car etc....but I'm just less than impressed....

I don't think it's the driver. It's probably the test conditions:
Elevation (ft.) 1,121
Temperature (°F) 91
Relative humidity (%) 28.00
Barometric pressure (in. Hg) 28.81
Wind (mph, direction) 3, headwind
Odometer (mi.) 1,621
Fuel used for test 91 octane

High elevation, mediocre octane, high ambient temp and low humidity could cause the knock sensors to send a signal to the ECU that power should be dialed back. Edmunds does corrections, but no correction is absolutely perfect, and you cannot predict how one car will be affected compared to another.

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1 (Post 1584783318)
As in that is one factor they choose the C7 for. Not the only factor.

:iagree: Sounded like it was just an icing on the top type of thing. While the Viper was faster, the precision of the C7 and its street manners could have overcome that. Factor in the additional feature content and electronics that aid the driver, and the C7 could still have won even if price wasn't factored (just a hunch).

LT1_E85_Corvette 08-28-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1584783917)

I don't think it's the driver. It's probably the test conditions:
Elevation (ft.) 1,121
Temperature (°F) 91
Relative humidity (%) 28.00
Barometric pressure (in. Hg) 28.81
Wind (mph, direction) 3, headwind
Odometer (mi.) 1,621
Fuel used for test 91 octane

High elevation, mediocre octane, high ambient temp and low humidity could cause the knock sensors to send a signal to the ECU that power should be dialed back. Edmunds does corrections, but no correction is absolutely perfect, and you cannot predict how one car will be affected compared to another.

Sh*t - Great catch... look at that Elevation!