CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3330587-edmunds-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-vs-2013-srt-viper-track-test.html)

fallen 08-30-2013 03:40 PM

What makes you think the 7 12 car did not have ac? I thought it did. It may have been an ACR hardcore, but that still has AC.

There is an
ACR

ACR Hardcore-no carpet in the trunk, radio delete, airpump delete, but comes with a laptimer. Everything else is the same as the ACR.

and ARC X

I am not sure whether the 7 12 car was a hardcore or not, but it is still basically the same as an ACR non hardcore

Just want to keep this factual :cheers:

RocketGuy3 08-30-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Snakiller (Post 1584801888)
0-60 in 4.3 and 113.96? Hahaha. The new C7 is treading on Mustang territory!

This is something like the 10th post like this in this thread. It's surprising to me how many passionate enthusiasts (at least I assume most of the people who post on a forum like this would qualify as enthusiasts) don't seem to understand all the variables that go into acceleration times. Especially with a standard transmission.

Had the Mustang been tested in the same conditions with the same drivers, it probably would have been pushing the five-second mark.

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584802046)
I guess the ZR1 is special because it has a supercharger too. It's also special because it has magnetic ride. It's also special because it has carbon brakes.

It was a FACTORY equipped car bro...period....straight from the dealership down the road.

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584802347)
If it didn't change the outcome then why take it out in the first place...lol? If you don't think 40lbs makes a difference...sheesh...I don't know what to tell you...lol. Over a 7+ minute lap, it makes a hell of a difference.

They add 15lbs of ballast to the C6R and Tommy says that while he can't perceptibly FEEL it...the car is damn sure slower on the stopwatch. Add 30lbs and they were losing 2 car lengths on the straights to the Vipers earlier this year. Maybe you should check the length of the straights at the ring. 40 lbs makes a HELL of difference....less weight to slow down, less weight to turn, less to accelerate equals heat management in the tires, brakes, shock oil, etc.

And I mean...dude...honestly...I'm seriously a fan of the ACR, but the fact is it has KW adjustable coilovers on it! I mean...that's just...it's an aftermarket car for gods sake. Doesn't make it bad...it just makes it much more...ehhh...kit car. Adjustable wing, adjustable suspension...it's all good fun...but you really gonna call that a street car? 99.9% of ownership doesn't have the FIRST clue what to do with that sh*t. They put that car out there to simply justify the "records" they wanted because it was technically production car status...but please dude. Let's get Fran up in here with the SL-C cause that's what the ACR is competing with in my book...SL-C will wax that ass for less money. Callin that a street car is calling the SL-C a street car...I mean...yeah...technically...but its a racecar to the world who has a clue.

What can they "tune" you say?? Try...everything. The race team analyzes the data, tire temps, drag/downforce management, damper adjustment, alignment, gear selection vs corner distance and who knows what other little trickery thrown in there. Yet again, the ZR1 at the Nurburgring used the FACTORY alignment settings, factory ride height, suspension based on selection in the cockpit, etc.

You seriously don't see the difference? Is the ACR bad...no. Is your ACR representative of the ACR at the ring....Haaaayelllllll NO.

This is going nowhere. I remember quite vividly you talking about how the C7's weight doesn't matter, how it's nominal in the big picture. I won't waste my time looking it up because I know you said it, you even said how the weight would help the car perform better, this is 6-8 weeks ago when all the weight discussions were front and center.

I quote you up top where you say it's straight from the factory, I know I wasn't in Germany for either run so I don't know what either team did. You talk out of both sides of your mouth though, the Viper has adjustable KW's so it's a kit car yet the Vette has magnetic ride settings and it's okay. And yes CCB's and a S/C do matter just like a wing and full aero matter. If the ACR is not a street car than why did mine have plates? Can't you see the difference? Everyone in the racing community recognizes the ACR to be the king of the ring for factory production which by the way were a similar build amount yearly to the ZR, maybe a few less.

Let's put an ACR-X on the Ring and watch the first number be a 6. :yesnod:

PDCjonny 08-30-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584802347)
And I mean...dude...honestly...I'm seriously a fan of the ACR, but the fact is it has KW adjustable coilovers on it! I mean...that's just...it's an aftermarket car for gods sake. Doesn't make it bad...it just makes it much more...ehhh...kit car. Adjustable wing, adjustable suspension...it's all good fun...but you really gonna call that a street car? 99.9% of ownership doesn't have the FIRST clue what to do with that sh*t. They put that car out there to simply justify the "records" they wanted because it was technically production car status...but please dude.

Um...."dude"...you don't know what you're talking about. I owned the exact same ACR as ran at the 'Ring. The silver and black 2010, one of four. I bought it from Tomball Dodge the same dealer that supplied the "Ring car. My car was exactly the same and it was completely street legal. It was shipped to me excatly like the "Ring car. EVERYTHING on the car came from Dodge that way there was nothing whatsoever aftermarket about it. You could walk in and buy the exact same car off the showroom floor and drive it home. It CAME with adjustable shock and wing. It CAME with all the aero. It came from the factory that way. If you wanted the FACTORY hardcore addition you can order it that way. Radio delete. carpet delete all FACTORY OPTIONS.

So what don't you understand about the it being a stock factory street legal production car?

Lavender 08-30-2013 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584802885)
Um...."dude"...you don't know what you're talking about. I owned the exact same ACR as ran at the 'Ring. The silver and black 2010, one of four. I bought it from Tomball Dodge the same dealer that supplied the "Ring car. My car was exactly the same and it was completely street legal. It was shipped to me excatly like the "Ring car. EVERYTHING on the car came from Dodge that way there was nothing whatsoever aftermarket about it. You could walk in and buy the exact same car off the showroom floor and drive it home. It CAME with adjustable shock and wing. It CAME with all the aero. It came from the factory that way. If you wanted the FACTORY hardcore addition you can order it that way. Radio delete. carpet delete all FACTORY OPTIONS.

So what don't you understand about the it being a stock factory street legal production car?

I remember Dodge themselves stating that an ACR with front splitter on = non-street legal. Just FIY... :lurk:

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584802885)

Did you get your car from Bernie? He's awesome albeit I got my car from Nebraska, 1 of 3 in viper bright blue. So yours was a hardcore, serious machine!!:thumbs:

rcallen484 08-30-2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584803183)
Did you get your car from Bernie? He's awesome albeit I got my car from Nebraska, 1 of 3 in viper bright blue. So yours was a hardcore, serious machine!!:thumbs:

What are the features and attributes of the C6 Corvette 427 vert that caused you to buy it after already being the owner of the Viper?

PDCjonny 08-30-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584803183)

I did indeed. In fact I bought a 2009 ACR the year before from Bernie and traded it in for the 'Ring car. I bought mine before the 'Ring run but needless to say was quite thrilled when my twin brother set the record at the Ring. I did have the inside knowledge they were going back in that fall but was sworn to secrecy. That's was tough. :)

You know, the record that all impartial observers recognize as the production record unless you own a ZR1 or LFA.

Regarding the splitter it is perfectly street legal. The FACTORY splitter extension is technically not but that's really splitting hairs. Either way, it's a factory production car. And if I recall the ZR1 has been bumped to fifth now.

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1584803258)
What are the features and attributes of the C6 Corvette 427 vert that caused you to buy it after already being the owner of the Viper?

Actually the owner of seven Vipers, some of which I should have kept. I go through cars every year or two and usually have two in the garage at the same time. In 2011 I sold everything to take a break and take care of some priorities with the intention of waiting for either the new Viper or NSX.

To your question I walked into our my local Chevy store last August to look at a DD and saw the 427 on the floor, I knew nothing about it but was totally enamored by the LS7 in a vert and the 60th combo. On the spot I decided to buy it and the biggest reason was it being a vert, I had had coupes for a long time with my last factory (non hot rod) vert being a 2005 Copperhead Viper, this to me is the best looking Corvette I have ever seen short of a C2. It does a great job of combining performance, comfort, style and quality (so far) although it's not something I can track nor will not I b/c I didn't buy it for that.

Honestly though someone will get a great used car in a year or so when I get the NSX, this car will probably get sold. I never keep cars a long time, the longest was my Superformance 427 Cobra and that was on six years.:thumbs:

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584803385)
I did indeed. In fact I bought a 2009 ACR the year before from Bernie and traded it in for the 'Ring car. I bought mine before the 'Ring run but needless to say was quite thrilled when my twin brother set the record at the Ring. I did have the inside knowledge they were going back in that fall but was sworn to secrecy. That's was tough. :)

You know, the record that all impartial observers recognize as the production record unless you own a ZR1 or LFA.

Regarding the splitter it is perfectly street legal. The FACTORY splitter extension is technically not but that's really splitting hairs. Either way, it's a factory production car. And if I recall the ZR1 has been bumped to fifth now.

Very cool. :thumbs:

I never put the center section splitter on my car even when tracking as you can see in this photo nor did I ever change the wing angle or adjust the KW's, I just enjoyed getting some seat time as a typical amateur.

Do you still have yours?

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...ps89527410.jpg

rcallen484 08-30-2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584803443)
To your question I walked into our my local Chevy store last August to look at a DD and saw the 427 on the floor....

Thanks. Last question so as to not hijack thread. What DD did you end up also getting?

RC000E 08-30-2013 06:05 PM

Whatever then guys...so be it...lol.

Dan, I CERTAINLY never said weight DOESN'T matter, that's simply your typical, intention misinterpretation of my words. Weight is always a factor. My statement you're referring to was the issue of C7 curb weight and folks saying it was the end of the world. CLEARLY, as we now see the performance figures, which handily exceed the base C6/Z51, curb weight isn't a primary concern. It's how you distribute the weight, etc. Would the C7 benefit from 100 LESS pounds...sure...if it's gone from the right locations. If you gut unnecessary things out of the C7 like interior and sound deadening will it benefit the track numbers? Yes, it likely will.

All I know, is whoever owned the actual car here, first off...that's F*CKIN awesome and I sure hope you drove the sh*t out of it on a track as well (I know I sure as hell would have), secondly, the day it ran the ring it didn't have carpet, radio, etc. If it had it when you got it...well...so be it. The car that ran is well documented and one can easily find what it was equipped and not equipped with. Regardless, if I were on the Dodge team that handled that program, I'd have been proud.

Inevitably, it's still my position I am a fan of the ACR simply because it was the best Viper made, and the one that did the badge the most justice...end of story. The day Viper makes something that impresses me equally, I'll let you know...but this new Viper ain't it. The throwback design was just a preparation for the throwback handling.

The real issue here is the C7 vs the new gen Viper. I still stand saying, Viper just didn't hit the marks I'd expected. Is it still a good car for 130k...sure..it's a viable purchase option for some, but I imagine they are going to be Viper purists like Dan, who tend to buy multiples because they simply like the car and not purchase based upon certain factors. In the end though, Corvette is the king...no Mustang, no Viper is ever going to change that unless things start to go seriously wrong within Corvette/GM. Corvette is a force to be reckoned with when you take the battle to the road course...that's just the facts.

All I know, is even if I don't like your scheme of skewing my words, you've owned quite a few cool cars apparently. You own anything else besides Vipers and Vettes? How many vettes have you had? Z06 or ZR1?

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rcallen484 (Post 1584803559)
Thanks. Last question so as to not hijack thread. What DD did you end up also getting?

No problem.:thumbs:
An Acura MDX.:lol:

PDCjonny 08-30-2013 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584803510)
Very cool. :thumbs:

I never put the center section splitter on my car even when tracking as you can see in this photo nor did I ever change the wing angle or adjust the KW's, I just enjoyed getting some seat time as a typical amateur.

Do you still have yours?

Looks great Dan. I do not have it anymore, like you I go through cars kinda quick when I get tired of them. I traded mine in and have a Gallardo Superleggera now. Talk about a totally different driving experience. Anyway I may be back in Viper ownership when the ACR comes out, I fully expect it to be a world beater. I've had four Vipers myself. :thumbs:

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584803589)
Whatever then guys...so be it...lol.

Dan, I CERTAINLY never said weight DOESN'T matter, that's simply your typical, intention misinterpretation of my words. Weight is always a factor. My statement you're referring to was the issue of C7 curb weight and folks saying it was the end of the world. CLEARLY, as we now see the performance figures, which handily exceed the base C6/Z51, curb weight isn't a primary concern. It's how you distribute the weight, etc. Would the C7 benefit from 100 LESS pounds...sure...if it's gone from the right locations. If you gut unnecessary things out of the C7 like interior and sound deadening will it benefit the track numbers? Yes, it likely will.

All I know, is whoever owned the actual car here, first off...that's F*CKIN awesome and I sure hope you drove the sh*t out of it on a track as well (I know I sure as hell would have), secondly, the day it ran the ring it didn't have carpet, radio, etc. If it had it when you got it...well...so be it. The car that ran is well documented and one can easily find what it was equipped and not equipped with. Regardless, if I were on the Dodge team that handled that program, I'd have been proud.

Inevitably, it's still my position I am a fan of the ACR simply because it was the best Viper made, and the one that did the badge the most justice...end of story. The day Viper makes something that impresses me equally, I'll let you know...but this new Viper ain't it. The throwback design was just a preparation for the throwback handling.

The real issue here is the C7 vs the new gen Viper. I still stand saying, Viper just didn't hit the marks I'd expected. Is it still a good car for 130k...sure..it's a viable purchase option for some, but I imagine they are going to be Viper purists like Dan, who tend to buy multiples because they simply like the car and not purchase based upon certain factors. In the end though, Corvette is the king...no Mustang, no Viper is ever going to change that unless things start to go seriously wrong within Corvette/GM. Corvette is a force to be reckoned with when you take the battle to the road course...that's just the facts.

All I know, is even if I don't like your scheme of skewing my words, you've owned quite a few cool cars apparently. You own anything else besides Vipers and Vettes? How many vettes have you had? Z06 or ZR1?

All points taken! And I don't mean to skew or manipulate your words, the net can be a misleading device sometimes.:thumbs:

The short answer is I'm not brand loyal although the Vipers have been my favorite. In the last dozen years the sports cars have been in order by year:
1965 Superformance Shelby Cobra with Roush 427 small block
1997 Viper GTS
1999 Plymouth Prowler
2001 Chrysler Prowler
2001 Viper R/T 10
2002 Viper R/T 10
2002 Chrysler Prowler
2004 Viper Competition coupe
2005 Viper Copperhead
2006 Viper VOI # 98 of 100
2006 Ford GT
2008 Porsche GT3
2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640
2009 Viper ACR
2011 Porsche GT3RS
2013 Corvette 427

And for those with the wrong idea I'm pretty good at flipping them although I took a bath on the Lambo. :lol:

And my favorite hot rod, an all custom '32.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...ps873915d2.jpg

RC000E 08-30-2013 06:40 PM

Well, honestly speaking, the best way to own exotics, or any car that generally is factory maintenance heavy, I get out of quickly. They aren't hold cars in my book. I've brokered quite a few exotics for people, and they generally "take baths". I always advise people to buy smart with current maintenance, use mildly and sell. So, that appears the scheme you use, which is pretty smart.

All those Prowlers though...jesus...who buys Prowlers Dan...good god. Are you a status guy? Those cars are aweful...and you kept going back for more!

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584803713)
Looks great Dan. I do not have it anymore, like you I go through cars kinda quick when I get tired of them. I traded mine in and have a Gallardo Superleggera now. Talk about a totally different driving experience. Anyway I may be back in Viper ownership when the ACR comes out, I fully expect it to be a world beater. I've had four Vipers myself. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

That Super G is one awesome ride, my buddy has one and he won't let me drive it.:yesnod:

Enjoy it!!:cheers:

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584803799)

All those Prowlers though...jesus...who buys Prowlers Dan...good god. Are you a status guy? Those cars are aweful...and you kept going back for more!

I was young...lol. Actually they were fun to drive, inexpensive and believe it or not went pretty well for a 253hp V6. They only weighed 2800 pounds, I would put a Borla and K&N on them and drive, lots of fun.:thumbs:

P.S. note the '32, the Prowlers origin.

RC000E 08-30-2013 07:00 PM

Chip Foose was the Prowlers origin. That car was just a disgrace...automatic only, couldn't even spin the rear tires barely. 0-60 in 8 seconds with a top speed of like 120...not much of a hotrod if you ask me...haha. Just like Chevy's SSR pickup thing....jeez...another flopper.

You get rid of both your Porsches? GT3RS...damn fun car!

Big Dan 427 08-30-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E (Post 1584803957)
Chip Foose was the Prowlers origin. That car was just a disgrace...automatic only, couldn't even spin the rear tires barely. 0-60 in 8 seconds with a top speed of like 120...not much of a hotrod if you ask me...haha. Just like Chevy's SSR pickup thing....jeez...another flopper.

You get rid of both your Porsches? GT3RS...damn fun car!

When they went to the 3.5 it did high 5's in the 60. No doubt not a rocket but not bad for the period and it was one of the first cars with 20 inch rears. I think Bob Lutz was the brains behind the Prowler, not sure though.

Traded the 3 for the 3RS, that's the one that Ari cooked the brakes on.:lol: Not really but they were smoking pretty good after a couple of hot laps with him behind the wheel. The RS went in late 2011.