CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3330587-edmunds-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-vs-2013-srt-viper-track-test.html)

M_C7 08-28-2013 12:47 AM

Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test

C7 straightline #'s seem a bit slow but it did well in braking and the slalom

0-60 4.3
1/4 12.39 @ 113

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...ison-test.html

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/sr...823131_717.jpg

48supertruck 08-28-2013 01:00 AM

Seemed like a honest opinion.

OnPoint 08-28-2013 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by 48supertruck (Post 1584779851)
Seemed like a honest opinion.

:iagree:

Sin City 08-28-2013 01:04 AM

In LA now: 2013 Vipers already advertised for 13 grand off MSRP. Vettes dealers are asking over MSRP.

May tell you something.

Bronzevette85 08-28-2013 01:11 AM

love that the c7 sounds a lot better than the viper. :rock:

kozmic 08-28-2013 01:13 AM

Nice honest comparo... now throw some Z-ness at the C7 and re-test straight line... :thumbs:

Of course... Viper guys be like... What about the TA?

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584779866)
In LA now: 2013 Vipers already advertised for 13 grand off MSRP. Vettes dealers are asking over MSRP.

May tell you something.

The '13 Vipers are not selling well. Dealers have been sitting on cars for months.
It has to be nearly a record for how fast a new and hyped model started seeing big discounts.
S.

Sin City 08-28-2013 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584779908)
The '13 Vipers are not selling well. Dealers have been sitting on cars for months.
It has to be nearly a record for how fast a new and hyped model started seeing big discounts.
S.

It ain't gonna get any better when the C7 hits the streets.

Stingray23 08-28-2013 01:22 AM

The C7 is extremely impressive in the handling and braking dept.

VRMMMM 08-28-2013 02:02 AM

Wow, that's pretty shocking. Viper is no joke, that car has a lot going for it. I figure it would compete more with the "Z07" Viper needs to step up, cause it seems team corvette did their homework.

flatcrank 08-28-2013 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by kozmic (Post 1584779899)
Nice honest comparo... now throw some Z-ness at the C7 and re-test straight line... :thumbs:

Of course... Viper guys be like... What about the TA?

I think they'd be right. This first version of the Viper is very good on track in skilled hands, but slower than other versions. I think the Motor Trend numbers recorded the differences, but I can't say I need to look at the numbers to change my opinion about the Viper, it's just not a car I would want.

This review is really just about pitch perfect: straight talk, simple statements, a minimum of drama. It just doesn't leave the door open for a Porsche, Audi, AMG, BMW or even McLaren, maybe even a Ferrari owner to start spinning up a way one of those cars is somehow imbued with a superiority that exists somewhere other than in handling, acceleration, braking and grip.

I do wonder why GM didn't setup red line, 1st gear and final drive ratio to peak at 60mph. Having to upshift kills the time. This is one game where launch control and dual clutch prevails.

The Stingray has no-lift upshift, so perhaps that explains why MT got a 3.99 0-60, and maybe an all-round more thorough examination of eLSD, etc., but the bottom line is the same: the Stingray has raise the bar and all the above named makers are surely staring into the black night sky and muttering to themselves about bloody Americans and their bloody V8's.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...y/viewall.html

Blancpain 08-28-2013 02:27 AM

Guibo 08-28-2013 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by flatcrank (Post 1584780054)
I do wonder why GM didn't setup red line, 1st gear and final drive ratio to peak at 60mph. Having to upshift kills the time. This is one game where launch control and dual clutch prevails.

Maybe they will in a future model, but I'd trust that GM geared the current car correctly overall for performance, driveability, and economy. Besides, 0-60 is overrated, considering the performance of today's cars.

Trackaholic 08-28-2013 03:56 AM

My friend at work just took delivery of a 2013 Viper GTS, Stryker Red Edition.

Very, very beautiful car. Just stunning from all angles, especially in that color, which changes hue based on the angle of the sun. Really highlights the curves well.

And as much as I love the exterior, I was equally impressed with the interior. I actually thought it was pretty easy to get in and out of. I just needed to change the method of entry and egress. Rather than putting one leg into the car, sitting, then putting the other leg in, I'd instead sit in the seat with both feet outside the car, then swing them in at the same time. Was actually pretty easy. I also thought the seats were just perfect. I'm about 5' 11" and 180 lbs, so not huge, but not as lean as I should be either. Found the seats to be very comfortable. Snug, but overly so. What I would like for a track day, but also comfortable for street driving as long as you don't try and move around much. Great lumbar support that helped distribute the weight. Huge amounts of leg room. With the seat tilted way back and the headrest just about touching the back wall, I couldn't reach the front of the footwell.

Also, the layout of the interior was great. Nicely symmetric in terms of vents and stereo, everything was logical. HVAC had great rotary knobs. Materials were very nice. This was a two tone red/black (a bit like a C7 2LT red in terms of color location, but the Viper had more red on the doors). Nice aluminum accents. Much better steering wheel than the C7.

Finally, the acceleration was just brutal. Literally had me LOL due to the sheer ridiculousness of it. Definitely need more of that type of craziness in today's world IMO. Loved the details in the IP, the little plastic/metal surrounds on the digital gauges. I actually thought the ride was quite good (suspension was set to softest of the two settings). Only complaint was the exhaust. Seemed a bit too loud for a cruise.

Still, I was just incredibly impressed with the car. But, I've been dreaming of a Viper since about 1996, so I was a already in love before riding in it.

It's a bit more car than I really want to own, so I'm looking forward to having a C7 Z51 with the Comp Seats when they become available. Still, on a scale of 1 to Bonkers, the Viper rates an 11 (not even sure what that means, only that the Viper was just amazing).

-T

lve2xlr8 08-28-2013 04:24 AM

Always liked Edmunds/Inside Line. Great performance by the C7, look how it compares to some of Randy Pobst's lap times:

C7 Corvette Z51: 1:24.6
2013 Viper: 1:23.9

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27...psda018137.png

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow...of_willow.html

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 06:16 AM

MY ANALOGY:

Corvette = having an enjoyable session with your woman who will go through the motions, maybe get a little risqué and when all is said and done roll over and say good night.

Viper = getting home from work, being grabbed by your tie and made to throw down right there in the kitchen before being dragged upstairs to continue the intensity that when done will make you want to sleep in the next morning.:yesnod:

Trackaholic your description was spot on, when I posted a few weeks ago i felt the same way about the Viper, the biggest issue was getting in and out and the cabin space. But the car itself was killer!:thumbs:

Kind of surprised they got expected numbers out of the Viper and weak numbers out of the Vette.

Speednet 08-28-2013 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584780372)
MY ANALOGY:

Corvette = having an enjoyable session with your woman who will go through the motions, maybe get a little risqué and when all is said and done roll over and say good night.

Viper = getting home from work, being grabbed by your tie and made to throw down right there in the kitchen before being dragged upstairs to continue the intensity that when done will make you want to sleep in the next morning.:yesnod:

Trackaholic your description was spot on, when I posted a few weeks ago i felt the same way about the Viper, the biggest issue was getting in and out and the cabin space. But the car itself was killer!:thumbs:

Kind of surprised they got expected numbers out of the Viper and weak numbers out of the Vette.

You need help.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Speednet (Post 1584780449)
You need help.

I need help? Take a look at your avatar!:lol:

haveblue 08-28-2013 06:55 AM

One comparo down, one victory C7.

I love how they got the "feel" of this car so much better. That and the low end torque makes me excited to get my first drive one of these days.

Looking forward to more shootouts and more wins, hopefully, in the future.

And then the high performance version will come along. Look out!

svtkeith 08-28-2013 07:16 AM

Love both cars.

JerriVette 08-28-2013 07:25 AM

C7 test fleet needs to be handing out automatic c7 models to these magazine testers...they forgot how to launch a manual...

They are just overlooking the launch..

I would guess their 60 ft s a 2.4 where if they just calmed down they launch consistently a 2.0

J!O

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 07:43 AM

have blue how do you equate that article to a win? The Viper always has been hard to handle just like the article says, the C7 got spanked at it should have. The numbers were disappointing at best for the C7.

Jerri the Viper is a manual too, the numbers there showed well don't you think?

HBJG 08-28-2013 08:03 AM

"And, hey, you—Facebook guy; the taillights really don't look like a Camaro's. If you don't like them, that's fine. From your vantage point, they'll get smaller very quickly, anyway." :D
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...y/viewall.html

red2012 08-28-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by haveblue (Post 1584780479)
One comparo down, one victory C7.

What video were you watching.?

haveblue 08-28-2013 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584780682)
have blue how do you equate that article to a win? The Viper always has been hard to handle just like the article says, the C7 got spanked at it should have. The numbers were disappointing at best for the C7.

Hi Big Dan 427,

I was going off the next to last paragraph:

"Because of its much lower price, manners that are easy to live with in daily use and still astonishing performance, the Corvette takes a narrow win here. It is the one car you can drive comfortably every day and still use to dominate a track day. Built around an impregnable structure, overstuffed with technology that actually improves the driving experience, and so easygoing you can commute in it with one finger on the wheel, it's this year's great leap forward for the entire breed of sports cars."

The Viper was about 30 grand more expensive for about .7 sec increase in lap time.

Except for the price differential, this comaparo reminded me of the old 911 vs Corvette tests, except this time the Viper takes the role of the Vette, and the C7 as the 911.

Viper=Old Vette= Great numbers, fast, intense, but crude.

C7=911= Weaker numbers, better feel, less intense, better all round car.

JoesC5 08-28-2013 08:42 AM

0-60 4.3
1/4 12.39 @ 113

Also from Edmunds....

4.5 seconds(4.2 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
12.5@116................................ .............................2002 C5 Z06

4.5 seconds(4.2 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
12.5@115.1.............................. ............................2010 GS

4.2 seconds(3.9 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
11.8@123................................ ............................2011 Z06 carbon

3.9 seconds(3.6 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
11.7@123.2.............................. ...........................2008 Z06

At 60 MPH, .2 seconds is equal to one car length.

meadowz06 08-28-2013 08:44 AM

Very disappointing acceleration times. Low trap speed. Like I said in another post, the performance in a straight line is on par with a C5 Z06!

haveblue 08-28-2013 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584781024)
What video were you watching.?

The one that went with the article that said:

"Because of its much lower price, manners that are easy to live with in daily use and still astonishing performance, the Corvette takes a narrow win here."

DanTheFireman 08-28-2013 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584780682)

I'd consider a win being both cars in my garage. When you consider price, fuel consumption and a measly 200 hp difference I'd consider it more of a little pat on the butt than a spanking.

jvp 08-28-2013 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584779908)

I understand there may be a bit of a back story to this specific point, and it was a massive miss-step by SRT. Basically, they allowed a series of dealers to order their showroom cars first, with whatever options they wanted. Then the customers were allowed to order.

Like Corvette dealers, Viper dealers are apparently very good at optioning up "showy" Vipers that no one wants. And that they made the customers second-class citizens regarding orders pissed a bunch of folks off.

I think these magazine comparos between the Viper and Vette are amusing and interesting, but our friends at GM really don't care. I've stated it before and I'll state it again (from a position of some knowledge on the topic) - Team Corvette isn't targeting Viper. They never really have been.

Also, with the massive sets of miss-steps by SRT, I can foresee a time when FIAT sacks them completely. I hope I'm wrong because I like having a second American sports car that can slap the snot out of the other makes and models. But I just don't think FIAT is going to keep feeding SRT the funds it needs to keep the Viper going. Specially with them screwing up so epically as they have been over the last year.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 08:53 AM

No doubt they liked the manners of the Vette better, GM seems to have done a great job with the chassis but the speed numbers leave me unimpressed. The braking is excellent and the slalom is not a factor really, the numbers that count are 1/4 mile and 0-60 and the Viper dominates. It also appears to me the C7 was a Z51 and the viper a base w/out the track pack, yes it's 30k more but it's not a mass produced dime a dozen car.

Speednet 08-28-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584780476)
I need help? Take a look at your avatar!:lol:

Yes, I'm sure everyone would agree that you posting your deviant sexual fantasies on the forums is far more normal than an avatar from a science fiction TV show. Like I said, you need help.

DanTheFireman 08-28-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Trackaholic (Post 1584780187)
My friend at work just took delivery of a 2013 Viper GTS, Stryker Red Edition.

Very, very beautiful car. Just stunning from all angles, especially in that color, which changes hue based on the angle of the sun. Really highlights the curves well.

And as much as I love the exterior, I was equally impressed with the interior. I actually thought it was pretty easy to get in and out of. I just needed to change the method of entry and egress. Rather than putting one leg into the car, sitting, then putting the other leg in, I'd instead sit in the seat with both feet outside the car, then swing them in at the same time. Was actually pretty easy. I also thought the seats were just perfect. I'm about 5' 11" and 180 lbs, so not huge, but not as lean as I should be either. Found the seats to be very comfortable. Snug, but overly so. What I would like for a track day, but also comfortable for street driving as long as you don't try and move around much. Great lumbar support that helped distribute the weight. Huge amounts of leg room. With the seat tilted way back and the headrest just about touching the back wall, I couldn't reach the front of the footwell.

Also, the layout of the interior was great. Nicely symmetric in terms of vents and stereo, everything was logical. HVAC had great rotary knobs. Materials were very nice. This was a two tone red/black (a bit like a C7 2LT red in terms of color location, but the Viper had more red on the doors). Nice aluminum accents. Much better steering wheel than the C7.

Finally, the acceleration was just brutal. Literally had me LOL due to the sheer ridiculousness of it. Definitely need more of that type of craziness in today's world IMO. Loved the details in the IP, the little plastic/metal surrounds on the digital gauges. I actually thought the ride was quite good (suspension was set to softest of the two settings). Only complaint was the exhaust. Seemed a bit too loud for a cruise.

Still, I was just incredibly impressed with the car. But, I've been dreaming of a Viper since about 1996, so I was a already in love before riding in it.

It's a bit more car than I really want to own, so I'm looking forward to having a C7 Z51 with the Comp Seats when they become available. Still, on a scale of 1 to Bonkers, the Viper rates an 11 (not even sure what that means, only that the Viper was just amazing).

-T

The video of Stryker Red application is beautiful, they use mercury and hand sand between coats in an 8 hour process. Twice the price of the C7 but it's a work of art.

BlueOx 08-28-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584781110)
No doubt they liked the manners of the Vette better, GM seems to have done a great job with the chassis but the speed numbers leave me unimpressed. The braking is excellent and the slalom is not a factor really, the numbers that count are 1/4 mile and 0-60 and the Viper dominates. It also appears to me the C7 was a Z51 and the viper a base w/out the track pack, yes it's 30k more but it's not a mass produced dime a dozen car.

"Dead heat till 40 mph". Gee, wonder what adding 200 hp and larger tires/wheels to a C7 will do to the Viper? If you thought the old ZR1 smacked it down, wait for this one!:thumbs:

A $30k more Viper with no track pack and worse brakes? Sh*tty value for sure. No wonder they are sitting. Folks are waiting for the Corvette.

Gee, 355s vs 285s and the Vette still out drove it in the slalom and the skid pad. "Slalom is not a factor"...did you see that Viper's body roll in the video? :rofl:

JoesC5 08-28-2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584781391)
"Dead heat till 40 mph". Gee, wonder what adding 200 hp and larger tires/wheels to a C7 will do to the Viper? If you thought the old ZR1 smacked it down, wait for this one!:thumbs:

A $30k more Viper with no track pack and worse brakes? Sh*tty value for sure. No wonder they are sitting. Folks are waiting for the Corvette.

Gee, 355s vs 285s and the Vette still out drove it in the slalom and the skid pad. "Slalom is not a factor"...did you see that Viper's body roll in the video? :rofl:

I thought you guys were saying that the skinny tires on the C7 were just as good as the wide tires on the C6 Z06. Now you're saying the C7 needs wide tires to keep up with a car that has wide tires. Which is it?

Never-Enough 08-28-2013 09:37 AM

May tell you something.

Yea, dealers are greedy & there are idiots that will pay over MSRP for a car.

Never-Enough 08-28-2013 09:40 AM

113 MPH trap? :(

BlueOx 08-28-2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1584781471)
I thought you guys were saying that the skinny tires on the C7 were just as good as the wide tires on the C6 Z06. Now you're saying the C7 needs wide tires to keep up with a car that has wide tires. Which is it?

Wake up Joe. Clearly, the C7 didn't need wider tires on the slalom or the skid pad to own a $30k pricier Viper. The real issue is the hp difference but you know the next model C7 will have wider tires. I don't recall GM ever saying there wouldn't be any wider tires with more hp.

What does this have to do with your Z06? Are you feeling left out of the conversation? :rofl:

JoesC5 08-28-2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Never-Enough (Post 1584781500)
Yea, dealers are greedy & there are idiots that will pay over MSRP for a car.

And C7's can be purchased for a couple thousand under MSRP, even though the vast majority of dealers are asking MSRP..

JoesC5 08-28-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584781546)
Wake up Joe. Clearly, the C7 didn't need wider tires on the slalom or the skid pad to own a $30k pricier Viper. The real issue is the hp difference but you know the next model C7 will have wider tires. I don't recall GM ever saying there wouldn't be any wider tires with more hp.

What does this have to do with your Z06? Are you feeling left out of the conversation? :rofl:

me wake up......LOL...you are the one that is wondering what wider tires added to a C7 would do.

LT1_E85_Corvette 08-28-2013 09:47 AM

The trap speed is way low, and I think that's because their road course drivers, are not good at the drag strip. The times were even low for the viper. 5mph lower trap speed in the corvette than what GM suggests is just prof of slow shift times. I think they redemmed themselves on the track because that's actually a very impressive track time, but this makes since, given these testers specialties are the road course... not the drag strip.

60-0 in 99'? Awesome time's and Edmund has recorded as low as 94' which is crazy awesome.

The fact is, the Corvette won this test, and that say's alot! only .7 seconds slower around the track is fantastic suggesting my car came in at 57K with mag ride, Z51, NPP 1lt!... HALF the price of the viper tested.

Me = Happy

Vetteman Jack 08-28-2013 09:47 AM

I would take either one in my garage, but for the price difference, it will be the C7 before the Viper.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 10:01 AM

Speednet obviously you have ZERO sense of humor!
Ox I'm sure the Vette will run with a ZR1 to those tests also, so the 130k ZR1 is a $hit value too I guess?
Never Enough nailed it, 113 mph trap speed is slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
And lastly the C7 sells due to its price point, the proof in that is the numbers of Z cars that have sold in the last few years. The Viper is out of range for many as are the Z cars, also those that can afford a Viper go to Europe if you know what I mean.

bigwoolyg 08-28-2013 10:15 AM

magnificent handling car! I might have to buy one.

JerriVette 08-28-2013 11:20 AM

Hate to say it but I'm less than impressed with the c7 performance...

Something's off ...maybe the driver?

I'm sure the c7 is a great car etc....but I'm just less than impressed....

Sin City 08-28-2013 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1584782360)

Well, they were using the Stig's American cousin.... :)

LT1_E85_Corvette 08-28-2013 11:39 AM

WTF are you talking about... so you mean you are not impressed with the trap speed? Because everything else was better than the Viper.... It's over all "Performance" was better than any car even around it's price point. Please be more detailed before you type my friend

Lavender 08-28-2013 11:45 AM

.7 behind the Viper? That's funny.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 11:48 AM

LS3 you're starting to use the dreaded "for the price" syndrome phrase. I doubt people care the the slalom was 4/100th's better on the Vette and as good as the braking is ion the C7 it was a Z51, the Viper did not have its track pack. End of day bragging rights go to speed and this is where the C7 disappoints as Jerri said.

DREAMERAK 08-28-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by M_C7 (Post 1584779808)

0-60 4.3
1/4 12.39 @ 113

why did you quote the no roll out times? almost no one uses those. the best times edmunds has got are 3.8 0-60 and a 12.0 Q-mile. When you quote times for your GTR's do you use the slowest times or the fastest?

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 11:52 AM

What is funny Lavender, that is being pasted not to mention 6/10ths 0-60. Funny how it seems that a lot of the usual lovers are not around this thread.

Houston Z33 08-28-2013 11:55 AM

Frankly, The Viper had all the hype...till the C7 was revealed - Been bad ever since.

Edmond 08-28-2013 11:56 AM

They're both awesome but I can't afford either one on a government salary. :willy:

OHV4LIFE 08-28-2013 11:56 AM

100K is a lot to pay for 0-60 and 1/4 mi. You're better off ditching the Viper and opt for a GT-R.

DevonK 08-28-2013 11:56 AM

Personally I'd much rather have the far better brakes and faster slalom times of the C7 than knock an additional half a second off of my 1/4 mile speed.

OnPoint 08-28-2013 12:00 PM

I bet Ralph is just happy nothing was falling/flying off the Viper this time.

Looked like a fairly decent test, and fairly honest assessment.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 12:02 PM

Lots of back peddling...how comical. Devon you're at a cruise with your friends and everyone is talking speed and you roll up and say "but my car stops shorter." Hold onto something because the laughter will blow you off your feet.

OHV what do you say to a guy in a GT2RS or 458, 300k isn't worth the couple of tenths.
Get with it fellas, the C7 really failed in the speed tests and did great with the braking.

DevonK 08-28-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584782719)
Lots of back peddling...how comical. Devon you're at a cruise with your friends and everyone is talking speed and you roll up and say "but my car stops shorter." Hold onto something because the laughter will blow you off your feet.

Guess we don't hang out with the same crowd lol...not into the knuckle-dragging 1/4 mile scene myself, nor are my friends, so your scenario would never come up, we'd much rather have a fully rounded sportscar that corners and brakes exceptionally well. A Vette is not your best bet for getting the fastest 1/4 times for the lowest price, it's a sports car.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 12:09 PM

Ha, good one Devon. I'm not either, more of a road course guy myself.

Snorman 08-28-2013 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette (Post 1584781584)
The trap speed is way low, and I think that's because their road course drivers, are not good at the drag strip. The times were even low for the viper. 5mph lower trap speed in the corvette than what GM suggests is just prof of slow shift times. I think they redemmed themselves on the track because that's actually a very impressive track time, but this makes since, given these testers specialties are the road course... not the drag strip.

60-0 in 99'? Awesome time's and Edmund has recorded as low as 94' which is crazy awesome.

The fact is, the Corvette won this test, and that say's alot! only .7 seconds slower around the track is fantastic suggesting my car came in at 57K with mag ride, Z51, NPP 1lt!... HALF the price of the viper tested.

Me = Happy

The Viper was also ~.2 and over 3 mph slower than the numbers they got out of one in December. Let's not forget Edmunds also ran a 12.0 at 117.3 in July testing a different car on a different day with probably a different driver. But I'm sure this 12.4 will be clung to as if it's the gospel by those who are here to simply stir the pot and have no real interest in the C7 other than to trash it. :yesnod:
S.

BlueOx 08-28-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584782608)
What is funny Lavender, that is being pasted not to mention 6/10ths 0-60. Funny how it seems that a lot of the usual lovers are not around this thread.

What's really funny is you are here bragging about needing 180 more hp to outrun a base engine Stingray. I see this as a real fail by the HAND BUILT Viper which, to listen to you on here all the time, should have won every category easily since the C7 is so horrible.

At least we didn't hear about this Viper falling apart so you couldn't blame Edmunds for losing in many of the comparisons.

Slalom, skid pad, and brakes are not important to you only because evidently the Viper loses in this comparo. I thought you tracked your car? Those factors don't matter to you? :rofl:

I'd be very interested in seeing an actual timed track run by these two cars. Same day, same driver. IF Ralph can handle it.

OHV4LIFE 08-28-2013 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584782582)
LS3 you're starting to use the dreaded "for the price" syndrome phrase. I doubt people care the the slalom was 4/100th's better on the Vette and as good as the braking is ion the C7 it was a Z51, the Viper did not have its track pack. End of day bragging rights go to speed and this is where the C7 disappoints as Jerri said.

BigDan and JoeC5,

I think everyone gets that you two don't like the C7. Why do you bother to post here? BigDan is high five-ing himself because a $100K Viper beat a $69K base Vette by 0.7s on the track. C'mon son.

sam90lx 08-28-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by M_C7 (Post 1584779808)

0-60 4.3
1/4 12.39 @ 113

4.3??:rofl:

12.3??:rofl:

sam90lx 08-28-2013 12:47 PM

May tell you something.

13k off....has my interest.

Big Dan 427 08-28-2013 12:48 PM

I agree OX, same day same driver.

As for road course, I'd buy the TA just like I owned an ACR. And yes you're right, that stuff is inportant on a road course but not on the streets where it's light to light, speed rules.

OHV my 5k drag bike will beat them both, what's your point? And you're wrong, I can't speak for Joe but I would have loved to get one and still may when the hi-po comes out. IMO they'd have to correct a few things though for that to happen, just b/c we speak our mind shouldn't matter.

Snorman 08-28-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584783068)

:rofl:
I thought you bought your Grand Sport instead of a Z06 because you wanted to have an automatic because of your leg? You know you can't get a Viper with an automatic, right Sam?
S.

JerriVette 08-28-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette (Post 1584782528)
WTF are you talking about... so you mean you are not impressed with the trap speed? Because everything else was better than the Viper.... It's over all "Performance" was better than any car even around it's price point. Please be more detailed before you type my friend

I'm sure its the testers but I'd be lying if I didn't suggest I'm not that thrilled with the performance of the stingray in this test.

I know the c7 z51 MRC m7 is an amazing performance vehicle but this test and the results are less than I expected.

I hope I have explained myself properly and not insulted anyone as that was not my intent..

Give edmunds an automatic version next time and it ll probably tear off faster times...

I await magazine test results that are more in line with what Chevy posted.

sam90lx 08-28-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by big dan 427 (Post 1584780476)
i need help? Take a look at your avatar!:lol:

:lol::lol:

sam90lx 08-28-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by haveblue (Post 1584781062)
The one that went with the article that said:

"Because of its much lower price, manners that are easy to live with in daily use and still astonishing performance, the Corvette takes a narrow win here."

As in "Great for the Price"?

sam90lx 08-28-2013 01:00 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
How did I not see this thread until just now!

DREAMERAK 08-28-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1584783115)
I'm sure its the testers but I'd be lying if I didn't suggest I'm not that thrilled with the performance of the stingray in this test.

I know the c7 z51 MRC m7 is an amazing performance vehicle but this test and the results are less than I expected.

I hope I have explained myself properly and not insulted anyone as that was not my intent..

Give edmunds an automatic version next time and it ll probably tear off faster times...

I await magazine test results that are more in line with what Chevy posted.

ok here is test data by Edmunds on a different day

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...est-specs.html

427456 08-28-2013 01:02 PM

The C7 is a better overall car, if you asked me which one would win in a drag race I would have told you the Viper without even seeing the test. 640 hp vs. 460, and more rubber. When you factor price in (which you have to) I think this a big fail for the Viper.

sam90lx 08-28-2013 01:05 PM

Must be the pavement.

Sin City 08-28-2013 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584783068)

Then you should contact some dealers in LA. I saw it advertised last week in the LA times. I didn't pay attention to the dealer but I'm sure you can call around. 14's are coming so 13's are going to be deeply discounted.

If they are already giving 13K off, you know they will deal more.

It think it brought the price down to like 100K.

bigwoolyg 08-28-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lavender (Post 1584782564)
.7 behind the Viper? That's funny.

true, can't believe the viper isn't faster with that huge HP advantage.

they brought out a car that can't even keep up with the outgoing ZR1, to me, dodge/SRT failed.

OHV4LIFE 08-28-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584783072)
I agree OX, same day same driver.

As for road course, I'd buy the TA just like I owned an ACR. And yes you're right, that stuff is inportant on a road course but not on the streets where it's light to light, speed rules.

OHV my 5k drag bike will beat them both, what's your point? And you're wrong, I can't speak for Joe but I would have loved to get one and still may when the hi-po comes out. IMO they'd have to correct a few things though for that to happen, just b/c we speak our mind shouldn't matter.

There's nothing wrong with criticism. But when someone (like you) cherry picks whatever negative bits of information about the C7 and drones on it constantly while completely ignoring any positive information, that kinda makes you a troll. For example, in this thread you adamantly insisted that 1/4 mi and 0-60 is all that matters in this test. You purposely chose to ignore the Vette's impressive slalom and skid pad performance. You gleefully remarked that the Viper "spanked" the Vette by 0.7s around the track while not acknowledging that the C7 is a base Stingray that cost more than 30K less than the Viper and is giving up 180 hp. If, say the C7 were only 0.7s faster around the track than a 370Z I'm sure you wouldn't say that it spanked the Z. You would call the C7 a failure because even though it cost 30K more and has 125 more hp it beat the Z by only 0.7s.

Blancpain 08-28-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1584781570)
me wake up......LOL...you are the one that is wondering what wider tires added to a C7 would do.

It's simple....but I guess you can't even understand that.

Base C7 with the skinny tires handled better than the wide tire SRT. Take that as a baseline and a wider tire C7 with more HP will be even better. What's so hard to understand?

You just like to argue for arguments sake, don't you? :crazy2:

99C5JA1 08-28-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584783133)
:lol::lol:

So you've cheered on a throwaway response. Bravo.

Originally Posted by sam90lx

As in that is one factor they choose the C7 for. Not the only factor.

How did I not see this thread until just now!

Joe's point is people can't have it both ways. Saying the C7 doesn't need a wider tire and then turning around and claiming it does. I haven't looked to see if any of the posters claiming it doesn't have posted in here saying the opposite.

Unfortunately I suspect this is yet another thread where you will take the opportunity to attempt to pull down the C7 for your own amusement.

Must be the pavement.

So there are never any variables on a cars straightline performance? Did you have anything constructive to add here or is it more a place to simply be negative when any opportunity presents itself?

OHV4LIFE 08-28-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584783159)

So the solution is to only offer $100K hi-po version of C7 in order to avoid the shame of losing with their $70K base version. Is this what you're saying?

sam90lx 08-28-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584783110)
I thought you bought your Grand Sport instead of a Z06 because you wanted to have an automatic because of your leg? You know you can't get a Viper with an automatic, right Sam?
S.

I can row gears for the right $$$'s.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1 (Post 1584783318)
Did you have anything constructive to add here or is it more a place to simply be negative when any opportunity presents itself?

Sam never has anything constructive to add in this section except to cheerlead people who post negative comments about the C7 and post smileys. He hides behind the excuse that he is here to get info on the "hipo" version of the C7 and claims if it's offered in an "auto" he'll get one (but now presumably he has an "interest" in buying a 2013 Viper).
Very soon, once those of us buying C7's get them, I'm sure Sam and his ilk will slink away from this section. :yesnod:
S.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584783338)
I can row gears for the right $$$'s.

I guess new C6Z's selling in the $60's and $70's isn't the "right $$$'s", eh Sam?
S.

Achmed 08-28-2013 01:26 PM

Two things I learned from the article:

1) The numerous side-by-side photos makes me feel the C7 has better exterior styling than the Viper

2) I should get the auto not the m7 for more consistent times.

jvp 08-28-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584783367)
Very soon, once those of us buying C7's get them, I'm sure Sam and his ilk will slink away from this section.

The better solution is to just put him and others on your ignore list and go about your enjoyment of the forum. If folks stop quoting and replying to them, their trolling will result in nothing. And they'll go away.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Achmed (Post 1584783395)
Two things I learned from the article:

1) The numerous side-by-side photos makes me feel the C7 has better exterior styling than the Viper

2) I should get the auto not the m7 for more consistent times.

If you're planning on spending lots of time drag racing it, the auto would likely be a better choice. If you want to track the car, or just prefer a manual, the M7 is a fine choice. You probably can't go wrong with either, but I do think that ultimately the A6 cars will be quicker (obviously with less trap speed).
S.

PDCjonny 08-28-2013 01:30 PM

A lot of the Vipers you see for sale were factory ordered by dealers ahead of the regular customers. They ordered the most expensive GTS model, all the bells and whistles and were shocked when they didn't just jump off the lots at 140K. They thought there would be a huge demand for the new Gen 5 and it was lukewarm at best. No one, not even the diehards were going to pay 140K for a Dodge, period. But these cars are heavily optioned so they can offer 10K off and still make money. Those are the ones being discounted. But you are still talking about 130K cars.

Blancpain 08-28-2013 01:30 PM

Sam never has anything constructive to add in this section except to cheerlead people who post negative comments about the C7 and post smileys. He hides behind the excuse that he is here to get info on the "hipo" version of the C7 and claims if it's offered in an "auto" he'll get one (but now presumably he has an "interest" in buying a 2013 Viper).
Very soon, once those of us buying C7's get them, I'm sure Sam and his ilk will slink away from this section. :yesnod:
S.

I hope so, he makes reading these forums tedious.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1584783414)
The better solution is to just put him and others on your ignore list and go about your enjoyment of the forum. If folks stop quoting and replying to them, their trolling will result in nothing. And they'll go away.

I have around 6-8 people on ignore now. Sam was on it a few months ago. At one point I took him off and never added him again. That's being fixed right now. :lol:
S.

speedlink 08-28-2013 01:36 PM

Good article, thanks for posting. These articles day by day just keep getting better for the C7! Wow, when we get the next Z06 type version, watch out!

Michael A 08-28-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by flatcrank (Post 1584780054)
the Stingray has raise the bar and all the above named makers are surely staring into the black night sky and muttering to themselves about bloody Americans and their bloody V8's.

Their bloody pushrod V8's, no less!:lol:

Michael

Silver05GTO 08-28-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584783425)
A lot of the Vipers you see for sale were factory ordered by dealers ahead of the regular customers. They ordered the most expensive GTS model, all the bells and whistles and were shocked when they didn't just jump off the lots at 140K. They thought there would be a huge demand for the new Gen 5 and it was lukewarm at best. No one, not even the diehards were going to pay 140K for a Dodge, period. But these cars are heavily optioned so they can offer 10K off and still make money. Those are the ones being discounted. But you are still talking about 130K cars.

Dodge should've improved the Viper in price.....bragging rights alone won't sell them. Unless they are OK with the limited sales, the people who can swing the purchase certainly have an exclusive car.

Snorman 08-28-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO (Post 1584783559)
Dodge should've improved the Viper in price.....bragging rights alone won't sell them. Unless they are OK with the limited sales, the people who can swing the purchase certainly have an exclusive car.

I'll point out that previous generations of Vipers aren't really very exclusive. You can buy a Gen IV car for about what you'd pay for a decently optioned new '14 Corvette ($60's-70's). Some sellers are trying to get $80's for non-ACR cars, but IMO they aren't going to sell very quickly (if at all), and now SRT is going to have to start discounting the Gen V cars as we get into winter.
S.

flatcrank 08-28-2013 01:56 PM

The other thing I get out of that review is that the brakes in the Z51 are ample. I was budgeting on upgrades, but it doesn't look like it. I'm buying the Stingray as a sole purpose track car, so that's literally money in my pocket if I don't have to upgrade the brakes. Of course that money will be out of my pocket in the form of a cage and seat and suspension anyway. So if anyone has those things solved for the C7, I'm all ears ... impatient ears ... just itching to drive this thing!

yellowray 08-28-2013 02:05 PM

I'm actually surprised the Mustang Shelby GT500 is #9! Either Willow Springs has some good straits, the suspension was modified or the driver really had a good day and let it hang out to the ragged edge.

flatcrank 08-28-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1584783555)

Their bloody pushrod V8's, no less!:lol:

Michael

Absolutely. And I see the benefit there in practical terms (packaging in the vehicle) and the pedigree from the beginning of the history of the Corvette. Though I still question it because I prefer a high and wide rpm range. I used to drive 911 turbo's by preference, but the GT3 opens your eyes to the advantage on track to have one (or two, or three!) less gear shifts because you can hold 3rd or 4th to 8500 or even 9000 rpm now, instead of repeatedly closing the throttle. Of course dual clutch boxes take all that away. I'm also unimpressed by the over, over, overdrive tremec. I was (naively) expecting 6 gears all underdrive and all below 150mph with one long, tall, sally to make the march to 200 mph or bring the rpm down to idle at 75mph, so I think that's a question mark. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If the Stingray can turn 1.05G on Sport Cups, that's something amazing. To stop on a dime, I don't need more brakes so long as they don't fade after a half day on track. So the Stingray is really starting to look like a near "turn key" track day car. As one journo put it, the Stingray is no excuses, a legit "sports car muscle car."

ps. I agree with your avatar message. 65mph "one size fits all" and a ticket whether you're in a new Vette or a $800 minivan that someone bought off Craigslist with four different tires bought by four different owners, and nobody has checked the brakes or the steering in the last 30K miles, and the kids are playing tag in the back, the driver is eating and changing radio stations, steering with the inside of his left wrist, it's night and it's raining ...

sam90lx 08-28-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584783442)
I have around 6-8 people on ignore now. Sam was on it a few months ago. At one point I took him off and never added him again. That's being fixed right now. :lol:
S.

Quit lying....your not putting anyone on Ignore! You like to argue...must be a lawyer right?

sam90lx 08-28-2013 02:20 PM

S.

No different from the cheerleader C7 fan bois!
Also, I'm not going anywhere...get use to it!

sam90lx 08-28-2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584783381)
I guess new C6Z's selling in the $60's and $70's isn't the "right $$$'s", eh Sam?
S.

I agree...lots of options. The Slow Base C7 is not one of them!

Guibo 08-28-2013 02:23 PM

It also appears to me the C7 was a Z51 and the viper a base w/out the track pack, yes it's 30k more but it's not a mass produced dime a dozen car.

Harsh way of putting it (and at even ~20-25k/yr, the C7 will hardly be dime a dozen), but point taken about the exclusivity. For many Viper buyers, that will be a big part of the appeal. As will its rawness, and certain detailing (like the giant clamshell hood, attention to paint finish, etc).

Not sure what everyone else was saying, but I was using the Grand Sport as a reference. I don't think the C7 would necessarily grip or corner as hard as the C6Z, and certainly not it its optional Cup tires. Another way of putting it is the C7 might merely need Viper-wide tires to keep up with the Viper (or Viper levels of power on the same-size tires). This should be viewed as a positive for the GM team.

I don't think it's the driver. It's probably the test conditions:
Elevation (ft.) 1,121
Temperature (°F) 91
Relative humidity (%) 28.00
Barometric pressure (in. Hg) 28.81
Wind (mph, direction) 3, headwind
Odometer (mi.) 1,621
Fuel used for test 91 octane

High elevation, mediocre octane, high ambient temp and low humidity could cause the knock sensors to send a signal to the ECU that power should be dialed back. Edmunds does corrections, but no correction is absolutely perfect, and you cannot predict how one car will be affected compared to another.

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1 (Post 1584783318)
As in that is one factor they choose the C7 for. Not the only factor.

:iagree: Sounded like it was just an icing on the top type of thing. While the Viper was faster, the precision of the C7 and its street manners could have overcome that. Factor in the additional feature content and electronics that aid the driver, and the C7 could still have won even if price wasn't factored (just a hunch).

LT1_E85_Corvette 08-28-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Guibo (Post 1584783917)

I don't think it's the driver. It's probably the test conditions:
Elevation (ft.) 1,121
Temperature (°F) 91
Relative humidity (%) 28.00
Barometric pressure (in. Hg) 28.81
Wind (mph, direction) 3, headwind
Odometer (mi.) 1,621
Fuel used for test 91 octane

High elevation, mediocre octane, high ambient temp and low humidity could cause the knock sensors to send a signal to the ECU that power should be dialed back. Edmunds does corrections, but no correction is absolutely perfect, and you cannot predict how one car will be affected compared to another.

Sh*t - Great catch... look at that Elevation!