CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What would you pay for a 2012 GS? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3324792-what-would-you-pay-for-a-2012-gs.html)

Carnut12 08-18-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584702525)
??? ...he used the correct form of the word...what are you talking about?

I was about to quote that and saw you did, hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!:iagree:

csf 08-18-2013 10:20 PM

Wasn't gonna chime in here but can't resist as I just bought a brand new $71k MSRP 3LT 2013 GS coupe similar to the one the OP described for $56k and could not be happier. ( Mine does not have painted calipers but did have dual roof and magnetic ride. ) So I think his car should be a few thousand less than mine as its a 2012, but not $40k as some have said.

I understand the C6 is the older outgoing model but I chose to buy it after researching the C7 because I did not want a 7 speed manual, an 8 cylinder that runs as 4 cylinders, a video display for my speedometer, or a giant video screen in the center stack. I also wanted the look of the classic curved rear window and targa top I remember and lusted for as a kid. The elimination of the classic rear window was actually more important to me than the C7 rear tail lights, which I didn't like at first but are growing on me. Guess I'm just getting old myself.

I understand the C7 interior is a major upgrade, but the C6 has been updated and upgraded through the years and the exterior is still a beautiful shape. The ride and handling of the C7 may be better at the limit, but as a daily driver the differences seem minor.

I love technology as much as the next guy but sometimes it can get in the way. An article in the back of a recent Road and Track accused BMW of this . . . stating the technology in their cars is so over the top it is beginning to get in the way of the driving. I'm not saying this is the case with the C7, but for now the "old" C6 GS is perfect for me, and I have no regrets.

I was willing to pay almost C7 money for a new leftover 2013 C6 because I did not want any used Corvette, be it a C6 or C7. Apparently many others have felt the same as me this summer because the forum dealers here are clearly selling their remaining C6's . . . Criswell alone seems to have sold over 30 C6's in the last 60 days.

I do think the C7 looks great, the upgrades are amazing, the reviews are awesome, it should be a success for GM, and those who buy it will do so because it is exactly what they want. But for those that decide they may still want a C6, like maybe the OP, there is no time like the present, cause with $15-$20k off they may all be gone soon.

Craig

HogwildC7 08-18-2013 10:32 PM

I almost bought one but they wanted $56.5, I thought about it and changed my mine. I will wait on a 2014 unless they will offer less than $51k.

OBSSSD 08-18-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584703892)
I don't think I said that there is anything wrong with buying a GS. There isn't and it is still a great car. What I was trying to articulate (maybe not well) is that it is, in fact, older technology and an older design. Many people, like yourself, maybe don't care at all about that. However, some do and that's OK too. If the price is right to opt for the older car, great. However, if the price is close, why would someone choose the older car that isn't as capable? The only reason I can fathom is that the person doesn't like the new design... that's fair too. It isn't about "one-upmanship" IMO.

Right on brother :thumbs:

It's the same few folks on here who continually shank the C6 and look down on those who own one (or just bought one instead of ordering a C7) because they are going to have a C7 soon :crazy2:

BlueOx 08-18-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1584704406)
Right on brother :thumbs:

It's the same few folks on here who continually shank the C6 and look down on those who own one (or just bought one instead of ordering a C7) because they are going to have a C7 soon :crazy2:

Shank the C6? That's a little melodramatic ain't it?:rofl:

User 2623 08-19-2013 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584695759)
Pretty clean and cut consensus here.

If you're legitimately asking for opinions, I think you're set.

If the dealer offers you the car under $50K do it, otherwise, just wait a few months for the C7 and get the latest and greatest.

Actually I would differ here on this consensus.
Ya see if you go C7 you will be essentially QA production testing for GM.
There will be first year problems, and as always some maybe significant.
I suspect with the overwhelming electronics in C7 a plethora of [hopefully] just annoying issues will pop up.

Conversely with the 12 GS you will have a car that has been thoroughly vetted.
So if an when an issue does come up in all likelihood a TSB and a fix exists for the issue.
That translates to a reliable and relatively trouble free vette, and that is something worth aspiring to.

I would stay away from a first year vette.... unless you like being a pioneer.
Unfortunately life with a first year vette is not for the faint of heart.

Just tellin ya like it is .....

SCM_Crash 08-20-2013 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by matthewelle (Post 1584704821)
Actually I would differ here on this consensus.
Ya see if you go C7 you will be essentially QA production testing for GM.
There will be first year problems, and as always some maybe significant.
I suspect with the overwhelming electronics in C7 a plethora of [hopefully] just annoying issues will pop up.

Conversely with the 12 GS you will have a car that has been thoroughly vetted.
So if an when an issue does come up in all likelihood a TSB and a fix exists for the issue.
That translates to a reliable and relatively trouble free vette, and that is something worth aspiring to.

I would stay away from a first year vette.... unless you like being a pioneer.
Unfortunately life with a first year vette is not for the faint of heart.

Just tellin ya like it is .....

Needless to say, GM isn't going to release the C7 with a ton of issues. They have a lot riding on this Corvette. Will there be issues? Almost certainly. But I doubt anything serious at all and the car still has a warranty.

tunaman 08-20-2013 02:07 AM

The 2012 GS is an awesome car. It recently sold for over $70k, and at anywhere near $50k is a great deal regardless of the imminent delivery of the new C7 coupes. You should all recall that the GS is NOT a base-level car, so getting it anywhere close to base level pricing is a deal.

And as of late there is a lack of supply on the secondary market for many of the C6 used cars, as my friend has been trying desperately to locate a decent used C6 without extremely high miles and they are few and far between.

Lastly, the dealer in So Cal that sold me our 06 Z51 C6 has/had a used GS recently listed at $85k! That is just insane.

RocketGuy3 08-20-2013 02:54 AM

I wouldn't pay more than about $40K, personally, for that car. It's just not worth anymore than that to me, even brand new, with the C7 coming out. I wouldn't be surprised if the used KBB value was around that, too.

SCM_Crash 08-20-2013 03:00 AM

KBB puts it at $50K.

But the thing is that even if it's new, it's like buying a used car because it's 2 models behind. I just don't understand buying a previous generation car for the same price as the new generation car.

(Especially after every single review being positive about the car.)

jimmyb 08-20-2013 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584713541)
KBB puts it at $50K.

But the thing is that even if it's new, it's like buying a used car because it's 2 models behind. I just don't understand buying a previous generation car for the same price as the new generation car.

Exactly. It's a TWO year old car. The fact that it's new, at this point, really doesn't matter. It has depreciated just like a 2012 GS that's been on the road...the MINUTE he drives it off the lot, it BECOMES another USED 2012 GS. If the OP truly wants to do this, I would look around and see what used 2012 GS's are going for in his area, and then offer the dealer 5% more than the going used price (the warranty is worth something, I guess).

Jimmy

DanTheFireman 08-20-2013 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by csf (Post 1584704161)
Wasn't gonna chime in here but can't resist as I just bought a brand new $71k MSRP 3LT 2013 GS coupe similar to the one the OP described for $56k and could not be happier. ( Mine does not have painted calipers but did have dual roof and magnetic ride. ) So I think his car should be a few thousand less than mine as its a 2012, but not $40k as some have said.

I understand the C6 is the older outgoing model but I chose to buy it after researching the C7 because I did not want a 7 speed manual, an 8 cylinder that runs as 4 cylinders, a video display for my speedometer, or a giant video screen in the center stack. I also wanted the look of the classic curved rear window and targa top I remember and lusted for as a kid. The elimination of the classic rear window was actually more important to me than the C7 rear tail lights, which I didn't like at first but are growing on me. Guess I'm just getting old myself.

I understand the C7 interior is a major upgrade, but the C6 has been updated and upgraded through the years and the exterior is still a beautiful shape. The ride and handling of the C7 may be better at the limit, but as a daily driver the differences seem minor.

I love technology as much as the next guy but sometimes it can get in the way. An article in the back of a recent Road and Track accused BMW of this . . . stating the technology in their cars is so over the top it is beginning to get in the way of the driving. I'm not saying this is the case with the C7, but for now the "old" C6 GS is perfect for me, and I have no regrets.

I was willing to pay almost C7 money for a new leftover 2013 C6 because I did not want any used Corvette, be it a C6 or C7. Apparently many others have felt the same as me this summer because the forum dealers here are clearly selling their remaining C6's . . . Criswell alone seems to have sold over 30 C6's in the last 60 days.

I do think the C7 looks great, the upgrades are amazing, the reviews are awesome, it should be a success for GM, and those who buy it will do so because it is exactly what they want. But for those that decide they may still want a C6, like maybe the OP, there is no time like the present, cause with $15-$20k off they may all be gone soon.

Craig

Congrats on your new car Craig. You got a great deal on a great car that makes you happy. That's all that matters. We sometimes seem to forget how fortunate we are to enjoy every day what the majority of people on the road can't or won't.

vetteLT193 08-20-2013 08:10 AM

Instead of comparing to a C7, compare to 2013 first and see where you think you should be.

In short, you can get a brand new 2013, optioned the same / similar for maybe a grand or two more. Is two grand worth a model year? to me it isn't. If I'm buying a leftover 2012 after the 2013 model has ceased production then I need at least 10 percent more off of the price from a 2013. That means you should be at least 5 grand less than a 2013 and it quite simply isn't. Check out some supporting member dealers (kerbeck) and you will see what they offer on 2013's.

Fulton 1 08-20-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Euthymicone (Post 1584703773)
Sad--I'm old (by today's standards I guess. 62 so I must have one foot in the grave I guess). But my wife says I'm beautiful. There will always be something new. Better? Not so sure. Computers, smart phones, etc. I still use a flip phone. Recently some guy looked at my phone and literally scoffed at me. Had another look down their nose because I had only two masters degrees compared to their Ed.d. This "one-upmanship" is exhausting. I'll just mosey down the road happily in my archaic, creaking, arthritic 2013 GS, and I'll love every minute of it. Why? Because I'm old and probably senile. Maybe not even oriented to time, so how would I even know the difference? :yesnod:

GSD.

I'm with you, sir. I've witnessed the introduction of the C4, C5, C6, and now the C7 and it's always the same.

My humble advice to the OP would be unless you MUST buy a Corvette now or you plan on trading "up" in 3-4 years - do nothing. Wait until the C7 has a year or two under its belt before taking the dive. By then the performance version(s) will be out (which will, of course, be the new shiny object) and the bugs that always come with a complete redesign such as this one will likely be worked out. I've done and seen enough, let's call it, "unpaid product development" to never again buy a first year car. YMMV

:cheers:

sam90lx 08-20-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584713541)
KBB puts it at $50K.

Looks may have a lot to do with it.

RocketGuy3 08-20-2013 02:16 PM

So to be clear, OP, is $56K the drive out price? Or do you still have to pay TTL on top of that?

BlueOx 08-20-2013 02:19 PM

What would you pay for a 2012 GS?

I wouldn't - at least not much for a 'new' 2012 that has sat on a lot, not being driven for two years.

Jefff1 08-20-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3 (Post 1584717185)
So to be clear, OP, is $56K the drive out price? Or do you still have to pay TTL on top of that?

$56k is the selling price for just the car then add the 8% sales tax...registration fees and whatever else they usually come up with...

Jefff1 08-20-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584717213)
I wouldn't - at least not much for a 'new' 2012 that has sat on a lot, not being driven for two years.

The dealership owner said they like to start it and roll it out the doors of the showroom and take it for a spin...which I happily did...It was the first time I'd ever driven a Corvette...I have lots of Viper miles.. 1995 and 03 versions with different HP...that's a fun car too but not very good gas mileage

But to your point who knows how much it's really started and run

Crossed Flags Fan 08-20-2013 03:38 PM

If the "style" of the C6, the equipment and price (a bit lower) appeal to your car sense, then pull the trigger and go for it. Lets face it, if in a year from now you change your mind, sell it and go for the C7. You're not making a life/long term commitment.... Just sayin'