CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What would you pay for a 2012 GS? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3324792-what-would-you-pay-for-a-2012-gs.html)

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701874)
Really? All I see is 2 hands on his face and 2 on his head. How is that a quadruple facepalm???

You failed again.

OK... You win. It's obviously too hard for you to admit when you're wrong. So I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

To the OP... Get the one you think you'll be happiest with. The majority of us here have stated that it's pointless to buy a C6 for that much (even with it's chrome rims) when you can get a far superior car for the same price.

An other member has stated you just can't get a C7 2LT with all the other things that GS will come with, like painted calipers and chrome wheels. LOL So it's really a personal preference thing.

Personally, I would go for the car that has nothing but good reviews.

2K3Z06 08-18-2013 06:20 PM

Never argue with an idiot on the internet, they bring you down to their level. And beat you with experience.

OnPoint 08-18-2013 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dlinderman (Post 1584694996)
You lost me at Baby blue...I mean Carlisle Blue.

:iagree:

Probably why it's still "new".

vettelover69 08-18-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06 (Post 1584702383)
Never argue with an idiot on the internet, they bring you down to their level. And beat you with experience.

Shouldn't you be reading a dictionary so you know when to use there and their??:thumbs:

HummelS 08-18-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584695759)
Pretty clean and cut consensus here.

If you're legitimately asking for opinions, I think you're set.

If the dealer offers you the car under $50K do it, otherwise, just wait a few months for the C7 and get the latest and greatest.

And be prepared to wait until next year sometime, maybe even for a 2015 model.... I've had my C7 order in for a couple months, and am looking at March/April for my 'vert. If you haven't already ordered a 2014, you may be too late to the party.

Paulchristian 08-18-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584702433)
Shouldn't you be reading a dictionary so you know when to use there and their??:thumbs:

??? ...he used the correct form of the word...what are you talking about?

vettelover69 08-18-2013 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584702525)
??? ...he used the correct form of the word...what are you talking about?

It's from a different thread.

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06 (Post 1584701271)
Wow, 4 pages and none of the C7 haters has said one word.............. Amazing.

Probably out trying to sell there obsolete "427"

SD1 08-18-2013 07:00 PM

That would make a good down payment on a 911.

not08crmanymore 08-18-2013 07:27 PM

You can get a 2013 GS for less the 56 grand so why bother with a 12 unless there's about 25000 off sticker.its a matter of taste yes. Nobody here owns a c7 or even driven one for that matter so they have no idea if its better then the GS. Hopefully being the new Vette on the block it is better. It's supposed to be!! Looks wise, I'll take the GS all day long but hey, what do i know..I'm just a 2013 GS owner..

OBSSSD 08-18-2013 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jefff1 (Post 1584694700)
Test drove a brand new 2012 (not a misprint) Carlisle Blue GS this afternoon at a dealer in PA. 3LT package with black glass sunroof...painted calipers..6 speed manual...dual mode exhaust..chrome wheels..massive 325 rear tires....Pretty sharp looking out in the sunlight..Mrs. Lucky and I are going to Carlisle next weekend for the Corvette Show to do some homework on the new C7 colors and options as we've never owned a Vette before...but I have to admit this GS looks interesting...

Sticker $72k..they're asking $56....Thanks for any advice

You are asking the question in the C7 forum so that should tell you what all the answers will be, but I just bought a 12' GS coupe for $20k off MSRP facing the same choice myself. It was a loaded 4LT with the suede inserts in the seats MSRP $73k paid $53k, plus I had a trade on a 12' C6 GS vert at $51k so it was about $2100 with taxes to switch out the year old one I had.

You have to decide if you want a stripped down first year production C7 that is bound to have far more short and long term issues than a very well refined C6. Performance wise there is a quite marginal improvement across the board, and the LS3 has proven itself to be the most bulletproof production OHV V that8 GM has ever built. I spent about $3500 and added 100rwhp to mine and it drives near 100% stock. It will be fun running into C7's on the road around town when they hit the streets :yesnod:

To me it would seem that looks are the deciding factor, since performance wise there is so little difference between the two cars. I wasn't crazy about the blocky Camaro rear end on the C7 so it was an easy choice for me :thumbs:

gthal 08-18-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1584703322)
...since performance wise there is so little difference between the two cars...

You must not have read the 12+ reviews that offer a very different opinion when comparing the C7 to the outgoing car :rofl: No need to respond, everyone knows what your response will be already :thumbs:

EDIT: There is nothing wrong with choosing a '12 GS as long as you know what you are buying and you are getting the right deal. That and being someone who doesn't mind having older technology and an older car. For some people, that is irrelevant but others care about that on top of the performance difference.

c7luvr 08-18-2013 09:11 PM

$50k tops.

Euthymicone 08-18-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584694807)
This happens to every car when a new generation comes out whether owners will admit it or not. It does NOT mean the older generation doesn't look beautiful... it just looks older. That doesn't matter to many people but to many it does. Personally, I don't know how they sell cars (any cars) in the last year or two of a generation. For example, I love the E92 M3 from a looks perspective but wouldn't buy one today unless there was a MASSIVE discount because when the new M3/M4 comes out, it will look old. Still great but now old.

Sad--I'm old (by today's standards I guess. 62 so I must have one foot in the grave I guess). But my wife says I'm beautiful. There will always be something new. Better? Not so sure. Computers, smart phones, etc. I still use a flip phone. Recently some guy looked at my phone and literally scoffed at me. Had another look down their nose because I had only two masters degrees compared to their Ed.d. This "one-upmanship" is exhausting. I'll just mosey down the road happily in my archaic, creaking, arthritic 2013 GS, and I'll love every minute of it. Why? Because I'm old and probably senile. Maybe not even oriented to time, so how would I even know the difference? :yesnod:

GSD.

BlueOx 08-18-2013 09:33 PM

Why is this buying a 2012 crap even in this forum?

Euthymicone 08-18-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584703803)
Why is this buying a 2012 crap even in this forum?

For a partial answer, see my previous post. I love the 13 GS. I'm still looking for my false teeth after my last spirited jaunt down one of our local mountain roads. I may even trade my walker in on a new model. Even my T levels are increasing!

gthal 08-18-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Euthymicone (Post 1584703773)
Sad--I'm old (by today's standards I guess. 62 so I must have one foot in the grave I guess). But my wife says I'm beautiful. There will always be something new. Better? Not so sure. Computers, smart phones, etc. I still use a flip phone. Recently some guy looked at my phone and literally scoffed at me. Had another look down their nose because I had only two masters degrees compared to their Ed.d. This "one-upmanship" is exhausting. I'll just mosey down the road happily in my archaic, creaking, arthritic 2013 GS, and I'll love every minute of it. Why? Because I'm old and probably senile. Maybe not even oriented to time, so how would I even know the difference? :yesnod:

I don't think I said that there is anything wrong with buying a GS. There isn't and it is still a great car. What I was trying to articulate (maybe not well) is that it is, in fact, older technology and an older design. Many people, like yourself, maybe don't care at all about that. However, some do and that's OK too. If the price is right to opt for the older car, great. However, if the price is close, why would someone choose the older car that isn't as capable? The only reason I can fathom is that the person doesn't like the new design... that's fair too. It isn't about "one-upmanship" IMO.

Aviator 08-18-2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1584702415)
:iagree:

Probably why it's still "new".

Unlikely. Actually, Chevy gave a bunch of CB Vette's to tech schools in 2012 and the schools returned them in 2013. These Vettes were then sold as new a model year later.

And don't be such a hater of CB. It's an incredible color and gets absolutely nothing but compliments from everyone who sees it in person. :cheers:

BlueOx 08-18-2013 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Euthymicone (Post 1584703840)
For a partial answer, see my previous post. I love the 13 GS. I'm still looking for my false teeth after my last spirited jaunt down one of our local mountain roads. I may even trade my walker in on a new model. Even my T levels are increasing!

Maybe C6 is a better place to get an answer is my point.

Aviator 08-18-2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584701482)
Actually, he is right. The 2LT has almost every needed feature and most of what use to be in the 3LT. Obviously the math isn't exactly the same but it is darn close. However, the GS must have other options to have gotten to $72K.

I have virtually the same C6 and to get to $72k it has NPP, MRC, two tops, chrome wheels, etc. An equally equipped C7 would run close to $70k, if not a tad more. The OP should still get the C7 IMO.

:cheers:

OnPoint 08-18-2013 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 1584703935)
Unlikely. Actually, Chevy gave a bunch of CB Vette's to tech schools in 2012 and the schools returned them in 2013. These Vettes were then sold as new a model year later.

And don't be such a hater of CB. It's an incredible color and gets absolutely nothing but compliments from everyone who sees it in person. :cheers:

I'm not a hater of CB, and didn't mean to come off that way. My apologies if I did.

I just figured it might not have as wide a draw as other colors. Seems like a color that would be a love/hate color, and perhaps why this car was still available.