CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What would you pay for a 2012 GS? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3324792-what-would-you-pay-for-a-2012-gs.html)

Jefff1 08-17-2013 04:00 PM

What would you pay for a 2012 GS?

Test drove a brand new 2012 (not a misprint) Carlisle Blue GS this afternoon at a dealer in PA. 3LT package with black glass sunroof...painted calipers..6 speed manual...dual mode exhaust..chrome wheels..massive 325 rear tires....Pretty sharp looking out in the sunlight..Mrs. Lucky and I are going to Carlisle next weekend for the Corvette Show to do some homework on the new C7 colors and options as we've never owned a Vette before...but I have to admit this GS looks interesting...

Sticker $72k..they're asking $56....Thanks for any advice

SCM_Crash 08-17-2013 04:04 PM

For 56K you can get a C7 Z51 which is far better than the C6 GS in every manner (looks being subjective).

gthal 08-17-2013 04:07 PM

I would first ask myself whether I would be OK with a car that is two model years and 1 generation old the minute I bought it. Not because the GS isn't awesome but because that car is pretty "old" for a new car day one. If the dealer has had such a hard time selling it, you will likely as well when you decide to move on. I wouldn't make any decision, if it were me, until I saw the C7 in person first.

If you still wanted it, I would want to pay less than $56 for a car, as mentioned, is 2 model years and 1 generation old from day one when a new C7 with Z51 and 1LT is around the same price.

SCM_Crash 08-17-2013 04:14 PM

Exactly.

And if you want matching performance and majorly updated interior, the non-z51 2LT C7 is still faster than the '12 GS and is a massive upgrade in all respects, from interior, sound system, economy, gadgets, etc. And even that is $56K...

I wouldn't touch a C6 if the C7 was the same price. That just doesn't make any sense at all to me. The only thing I could think of is if you like the looks of the C6 GS over the looks of the C7.

On a personal note, I think the C6 looks dated. Especially now when I see them on the streets, my excitement for the C7 and constant seeing pictures of them makes me wonder why the C6 looks so old now. When the C7s are popular on the streets, it's going to be even worse. (Like seeing C4s on the streets - which are still a generation I really like.)

gthal 08-17-2013 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584694778)
On a personal note, I think the C6 looks dated. Especially now when I see them on the streets, my excitement for the C7 and constant seeing pictures of them makes me wonder why the C6 looks so old now. When the C7s are popular on the streets, it's going to be even worse. (Like seeing C4s on the streets - which are still a generation I really like.)

This happens to every car when a new generation comes out whether owners will admit it or not. It does NOT mean the older generation doesn't look beautiful... it just looks older. That doesn't matter to many people but to many it does. Personally, I don't know how they sell cars (any cars) in the last year or two of a generation. For example, I love the E92 M3 from a looks perspective but wouldn't buy one today unless there was a MASSIVE discount because when the new M3/M4 comes out, it will look old. Still great but now old.

dozing4dollars 08-17-2013 04:23 PM

For the same money, I would buy a new C7..this coming from a guy that has a nearly new 2012 Coupe.

Even Tadge stated on video recently that " this car makes the C6 obsolete in almost every way" or similar words. Then he reminds the viewer that GM still has C6 cars to sell...oooops!

Take his word for it and buy the C7. :D

RedC7AZ 08-17-2013 04:36 PM

$52k seems more in line.

Since it is a 2012, you have to deduct 20% for year 1 and 8% for year 2. That brings it to $52k.

You say they are "asking" $56k, so to me that means their initial offer. Meaning the ball is back in your court to counter-offer. The dealer needs to be reminded over and then over again they are selling basically a leftover 2 year old "new" car at the same time the C7's are being produced and ordered.

They were dumb and parhaps too GREEDY not to sell the car 14+ months ago when they first got it in stock, so now they have to bite the bullet. I'm sure they had offers on that car way back when, that they now wish they accepted.

Big Lebowski 08-17-2013 04:48 PM

You lost me at Baby blue...I mean Carlisle Blue.

SCM_Crash 08-17-2013 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ (Post 1584694914)
$52k seems more in line.

Since it is a 2012, you have to deduct 20% for year 1 and 8% for year 2. That brings it to $52k.

You say they are "asking" $56k, so to me that means their initial offer. Meaning the ball is back in your court to counter-offer. The dealer needs to be reminded over and then over again they are selling basically a leftover 2 year old "new" car at the same time the C7's are being produced and ordered.

They were dumb and parhaps too GREEDY not to sell the car 14+ months ago when they first got it in stock, so now they have to bite the bullet. I'm sure they had offers on that car way back when, that they now wish they accepted.

LOL!

Greedy sounds like a good reason. They probably were riding the "denier" train when the Jalopnik leaks came out; pricing the car high as if the C6s were going to be worth their weight in gold once the C7s come out. :lol:

There were a few C7-haters in the forum before the C7 was officially introduced that were saying dealers were going to do something like that. I didn't believe they would because that's just non-sense. But maybe they proved us wrong. HAHA!

But look who's laughing now.

toddwill 08-17-2013 04:51 PM

C6 or C7

Before I saw a C7 in person, I was on the fence, but I know a "guy" that works for GM showed me one up close. There is no doubt in my mind I want the C7. I had already thought that was the case, but that confirmed it. I had already sent a deposit to Rick at Columbus Vette anyway back in February.

Anyway, more to the question, I looked at a brand new 2012 C6 GS vert, loaded 3LT Red, with black interior, all the goodies. Sticker 75K, I offered them 50K and they said no, but they would take 57K. I asked if they would be interested in splitting the difference and they would not. This was in May at a Dayton, OH dealer.

Hope this helps...I still think they have the car also?

Carnut12 08-17-2013 05:13 PM

They will have a hard time selling that car, that is for sure.

The only C6 I would buy at this point it the 427, you can get them for $12-15K off and that to me is a Steal.

landsteam 08-17-2013 05:40 PM

Not worth buying now. Wait for a C7.

Snorman 08-17-2013 05:45 PM

In on one.
S.

1986C4Z51 08-17-2013 06:10 PM

Boy, it seems like I was looking at a new GS a few years ago that was asking for low to mid 50's. I think that there are tons of unsold C6's left on the lots. I think I'd offer in the mid 40 range and walk away (after I'd left my number) when they laugh at me.

If I decide that I need a new car, I still might give a GS or Z06 a look.

tail_lights 08-17-2013 06:10 PM

Coming from another with a Grand Sport and not 100% sold on the C7's looks, for that money I'd get a C7.

Hemi Dave 08-17-2013 06:25 PM

It's worth about 35k now....................:hide:

Bill17601 08-17-2013 06:33 PM

I would not even consider that car new. There are many C6's just as nice, low mileage, at a better price....

edved 08-17-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by landsteam (Post 1584695264)

:iagree:

Aviator 08-17-2013 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by landsteam (Post 1584695264)

As an owner of a 2012 Carlisle Blue 3LT GS coupe - which I absolutely love by the way - I would opt for a C7 Z51. Better car and technology all around, and I love the way it looks.

:cheers:

SCM_Crash 08-17-2013 07:04 PM

Pretty clean and cut consensus here.

If you're legitimately asking for opinions, I think you're set.

If the dealer offers you the car under $50K do it, otherwise, just wait a few months for the C7 and get the latest and greatest.

NEVERL8 08-17-2013 07:06 PM

Really thought I was going to get a leftover 2013 427 vert. Have the money, prepared to pull the trigger. The more I learned about the C7, and now especially the looks of the C7, just can't do it. Going to wait a year for the 2015 vert. Had a C6Z and loved it, but the technology and looks are so dated with the intro of the C7, and can't beat the price/value of the C7.

Follow your heart and do what you want, only live once.

musclecar6 08-17-2013 07:16 PM

Get the C7. I have a GS and it's very nicely done with Lingenfelter supercharger package, but if I was buying, C7 for sure. C6 GS is a fabulous car, but the C7 is at least 20% better.

sundevilfan 08-17-2013 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584695580)
I would not even consider that car new. ....

Well said

Jefff1 08-17-2013 09:53 PM

Thanks for all the solid advice...not having owned a Vette before I knew I could get some great feedback from owners much more knowledgeable than myself...I was a little surprised when I opened the driver's door and being somewhat underwhelmed with the seat appearance and then when I sat down...the new seats in a C7 have to be better...

Paulchristian 08-17-2013 10:07 PM

1. Wrong color IMO
2. You can get a C7 for the same money which, looks aside, is a better all around car and more bang for buck
3. If you go with a C6, I would only consider a C6ZO7 or ZR1

85scott 08-17-2013 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jefff1 (Post 1584694700)
Test drove a brand new 2012 (not a misprint) Carlisle Blue GS this afternoon at a dealer in PA. 3LT package with black glass sunroof...painted calipers..6 speed manual...dual mode exhaust..chrome wheels..massive 325 rear tires....Pretty sharp looking out in the sunlight..Mrs. Lucky and I are going to Carlisle next weekend for the Corvette Show to do some homework on the new C7 colors and options as we've never owned a Vette before...but I have to admit this GS looks interesting...

Can't tell you which way to go. But I do know this, you'll lose far less to depreciation on that car, than if you pay at or close to full sticker price for a C7.

I also think any of the C6's are better looking cars. And their classic smooth lines will look good much longer than the more angular C7.

Though if I were you, I'd try to work him down some more.
Offer 51k. And he might split the difference or take it.

With C7 hype nearing it's peak as they are about to arrive at dealers,
there's probably no better time to buy a new C6 for less.

Dave Hopkins 08-18-2013 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584694807)
This happens to every car when a new generation comes out whether owners will admit it or not. It does NOT mean the older generation doesn't look beautiful... it just looks older. That doesn't matter to many people but to many it does. Personally, I don't know how they sell cars (any cars) in the last year or two of a generation. For example, I love the E92 M3 from a looks perspective but wouldn't buy one today unless there was a MASSIVE discount because when the new M3/M4 comes out, it will look old. Still great but now old.

Ask Viper owners if this statement is true. Not every new generation makes the last model look "old." I can't count the number of people who know nothing of vipers if my 2000 is "the new one." People that know vipers KNOW the Gen II (96-02) look much more aesthetic than the 2003-2010. At the Dream Cruise today on Woodward my viper was looking just fine next to the 2013 which is an absolutely beautiful car.

The same goes for the Nissan 350Z. That bodystyle is much better looking than the 370z and if you put both side by side; it would be hard to say which one is the "new model." But it would be easy to say which one looks better.

In Michigan I am afforded the privilege of seeing the C7 almost daily. I keep seeing a yellow one driving all over. It's definitely a great looking car. I would also agree it makes the C6 look dated. However the C6 GS and Z06 make the situation a bit more subjective since they are wide body cars with beefier tires.

To answer the specific question though, I would wait for the C7 then decide which car you want to buy; plus the C6 GS/Z06 will have further depreciated; especially with a new model out on the streets.

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jefff1 (Post 1584696919)
Thanks for all the solid advice...not having owned a Vette before I knew I could get some great feedback from owners much more knowledgeable than myself...I was a little surprised when I opened the driver's door and being somewhat underwhelmed with the seat appearance and then when I sat down...the new seats in a C7 have to be better...

Very much so, are the new seats better. It's been the biggest improvement according to a few of the reviewers. Some have said that the seats are as good as what Porsche uses and others have said they've never felt a more comfortable sports car seat.

My previous Corvettes have all had crappy seats other than the C4 I learned to drive on. Those C4 seats were actually very comfortable to me. The C7 seats are likely the best seats that have ever made it into a Corvette (including what has come from the aftermarket).

Many reviews from Corvette Forum members have also talked about how the seats are amazing. I'm very much jealous of these members since I've still yet to even see a C7 in person, let alone sit in one.

HummelS 08-18-2013 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by dozing4dollars (Post 1584694836)
For the same money, I would buy a new C7..this coming from a guy that has a nearly new 2012 Coupe.

Even Tadge stated on video recently that " this car makes the C6 obsolete in almost every way" or similar words. Then he reminds the viewer that GM still has C6 cars to sell...oooops!

Take his word for it and buy the C7. :D

Well, except the only C7 you're going to find for that money is a "stripper.' Choices, choices....

Achmed 08-18-2013 02:25 AM

I wonder if you would be getting the same responses if this was posted in the C6 forum lol

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by HummelS (Post 1584697959)
Well, except the only C7 you're going to find for that money is a "stripper.' Choices, choices....

Incorrect. VERY incorrect, for that matter.

Base option-free C7 is 52K. The GS they're offering is 56K.

$56K is the cost of the C7 with either the Z51 package or the 2LT package. Picking either of those would hardly make the car a stripper since they both come with a LOT of features.

tail_lights 08-18-2013 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Achmed (Post 1584698033)
I wonder if you would be getting the same responses if this was posted in the C6 forum lol

Mine would be :thumbs:

Jefff1 08-18-2013 07:46 AM

Next weekend in Carlisle I will get to see and feel the difference in the seats of a new C7...

I asked the salesman (nice guy and he loves snowmobiles too) if they were receiving any offers on the GS? He said once a month a guy from NYC calls to make an offer. I asked what his current offer was and he replied $47k...I said is he coming up a little every month? No...his offers are going down each time he calls...he started at $55k....A GS owner that I met at a big Cruise Night last Thursday told me about this car and dealer which is how I happened upon it yesterday...He said they had refused an offer initially on that car for $1500 under the list...I'm thinking they wished they had taken it as they don't stock Vettes and only order them when fellas come in and tell them what they want...the only thing they really knew about the car is a sentiment they both kept expressing...."this car needs a new home badly"

Houston Z33 08-18-2013 07:56 AM

C7 all the way, I wouldn't touch a C6 at this point.

DanTheFireman 08-18-2013 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 85scott (Post 1584697110)
Can't tell you which way to go. But I do know this, you'll lose far less to depreciation on that car, than if you pay at or close to full sticker price for a C7.

Huh?? That's like thinking the LCD TV you bought five years ago for two grand that is now 400 has fared better in depreciation than an LED that was the same new three years ago and is now a thousand. You're saying that at the same price point the '12 will sell for more than the '14 at some time down the road because your personal taste sides with the older model. IMO it will be a long time before the C6 GS will reach collectible status and the C7 should be worth more.

gthal 08-18-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman (Post 1584698469)
Huh?? That's like thinking the LCD TV you bought five years ago for two grand that is now 400 has fared better in depreciation than an LED that was the same new three years ago and is now a thousand. You're saying that at the same price point the '12 will sell for more than the '14 at some time down the road because your personal taste sides with the older model. IMO it will be a long time before the C6 GS will reach collectible status and the C7 should be worth more.

Agreed... the logic is backwards. A new 2012 for $56 or a new 2014 for $56. 3 years from now, the 2012 is much older in model years and design and will be worth much less.

lt4obsesses 08-18-2013 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584698471)
Agreed... the logic is backwards. A new 2012 for $56 or a new 2014 for $56. 3 years from now, the 2012 is much older in model years and design and will be worth much less.

I think 85scott was talking about percentage of return. The GS originally stickered for $72K and is $16K off. I don't believe that he meant the '12 would actually sell for more than the '14. But in reality percentage doesn't pay the mortage, it's the final dollar amount, and the '14 will always sell for more.

But as far as the offer on the '12. At 16K off sitcker that seems to be the norm. I believe this with heavy incentives from GM so the dealer themself probably still has a bit of room. I would offer 46 with 50 as cap. If they say no, then wait for the C7. However, I think for me, that would be a good enough deal to pull the trigger. The C6 will not be going 'out of fashion' that quick, it will be a little while before that happens. As it will also be awhile before the C7 is readily available w/o the pre-ordering hassle. So, to have the chance to drive a 'new' Corvette for $22 off sticker for a year or two, then trade up later might not be a bad thing.

runutzzzzz 08-18-2013 09:07 AM

The only C6 I would buy right now is the 427 Vert. but those are still expensive!

Like everyone else said, I wouldn't buy a C6, I would wait for the C7.

TXshaggy 08-18-2013 10:21 AM

There are forum dealers that are moving 2013s for the price you were quoted. I wouldn't buy a car that has been sitting on a lot that long. However, for that money I'd buy a C7

vettelover69 08-18-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman (Post 1584698469)

Sounds like you're the one letting personal taste cloud your opinion.

He's not saying the C6 will sell for more than a C7, he's saying that everyone who has got to have a C7 first will be taking a bath when they go to sell it because they paid sticker vs the C6 guy who is getting 16-20 grand off.

The C7 doesn't do it for me but if it did I still wouldn't pay sticker just to be the first on the block with it. It's bad enough when you buy a car at a discount and still get raped at trade in. I can only imagine what it's like when you pay sticker.

DanTheFireman 08-18-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584699291)
Sounds like you're the one letting personal taste cloud your opinion.

He's not saying the C6 will sell for more than a C7, he's saying that everyone who has got to have a C7 first will be taking a bath when they go to sell it because they paid sticker vs the C6 guy who is getting 16-20 grand off.

The C7 doesn't do it for me but if it did I still wouldn't pay sticker just to be the first on the block with it. It's bad enough when you buy a car at a discount and still get raped at trade in. I can only imagine what it's like when you pay sticker.

That is true, I waited until the third year to get a new C6Z at 6K off (16K if you added in the silly 10K dealer markup that some were still charging) but that was three years of not enjoying the car. This time around I'll enjoy it now, am well aware of the time vs. discount factor.

For the OP, it all depends which vehicle he prefers but the bottom line is a C7 at MSRP-500 will still fetch more dollars in a few years as a newer model than a two year older vehicle that cost the same new. The percentage off sticker is a moot point. Of course if the OP wants to wait a few years the C7 will be discounted but he is looking now.

Glenmcp 08-18-2013 12:55 PM

A 2012 GS is not worth $56K to me. If the dealer needs to unload a 2012, $40K is more like it. It is your choice, but you can get a two year newer car and start of a new gen for that price. What is the dealer giving for a 2012 GS trade-in? Not $56K would be my guess.

vettelover69 08-18-2013 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Glenmcp (Post 1584700256)
A 2012 GS is not worth $56K to me. If the dealer needs to unload a 2012, $40K is more like it. It is your choice, but you can get a two year newer car and start of a new gen for that price. What is the dealer giving for a 2012 GS trade-in? Not $56K would be my guess.

72K is the sticker and you think the dealer should give it away @ 40K???:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rof l::rofl::rofl:

And 56K only gets you a base C7 or maybe a 2LT, not a fully loaded 3LT with almost every option C6. Plus you're paying sticker on that C7 which means you will take a bath on it when you go to trade it in for the HIPO version.

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584700888)
72K is the sticker and you think the dealer should give it away @ 40K???:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rof l::rofl::rofl:

And 56K only gets you a base C7 or maybe a 2LT, not a fully loaded 3LT with almost every option C6. Plus you're paying sticker on that C7 which means you will take a bath on it when you go to trade it in for the HIPO version.

The 2LT C7 is equal to the C6 3LT trim as far as being loaded...

Except with the C7 you also get heated/ventilated seats and a FAR superior sound system.

Try again.

Glenmcp 08-18-2013 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584700888)

Just my two cents. 56k on a C7 gets you basically a 2012 GS. So why pay the same for a two year old? Now, if you like the looks of the 2012 GS more than the C7, go for it. It all depends on what you like and what you are willing to pay.

vettelover69 08-18-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584701021)
The 2LT C7 is equal to the C6 3LT trim as far as being loaded...

Except with the C7 you also get heated/ventilated seats and a FAR superior sound system.

Try again.

I doubt it. So you're telling me that for only 56K you get 72K worth of car???

Fail!! And you try again.

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701252)

Are you kidding?!

The 2LT C7 is $56K! I'm not making this up! You can check the pricing yourself!

You receive an F on your test. Now go home and study. You can take the test again tomorrow.

gthal 08-18-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701252)

Actually, he is right. The 2LT has almost every needed feature and most of what use to be in the 3LT. Obviously the math isn't exactly the same but it is darn close. However, the GS must have other options to have gotten to $72K.

vettelover69 08-18-2013 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584701358)
Are you kidding?!

The 2LT C7 is $56K! I'm not making this up! You can check the pricing yourself!

You receive an F on your test. Now go home and study. You can take the test again tomorrow.

I'm sure it is. But you're trying to tell me that GM is selling vettes that should be 72 grand for 56??

Oh wait I get it, you're trying to get me to believe that every option that comes in a 3LT C6 comes in a 2LT C7?

I highly doubt that.

vettelover69 08-18-2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584701482)
Actually, he is right. The 2LT has almost every needed feature and most of what use to be in the 3LT. Obviously the math isn't exactly the same but it is darn close. However, the GS must have other options to have gotten to $72K.

There's more to a price than 2LT and 3LT.

But don't try to tell me GM is just giving away 16 grand in options on the C7.

gthal 08-18-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701509)

There's more to a price than 2LT and 3LT.

But don't try to tell me GM is just giving away 16 grand in options on the C7.

That was my point when I said the GS had to have other options to get to $72K... but 2LT is basically every interior option on the C7 except the leather wrapped interior and nav. Obviously there are options like carbon dash, roof panels, exhaust, MRC, Z51, painted calipers, chrome wheels, etc. But the 2LT option package has much, if not almost all, of what was in 3LT on the C6.

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701494)
I'm sure it is. But you're trying to tell me that GM is selling vettes that should be 72 grand for 56??

Oh wait I get it, you're trying to get me to believe that every option that comes in a 3LT C6 comes in a 2LT C7?

I highly doubt that.

Geezus!!! WOULD YOU PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK!?

The only option the C6 3LT comes with standard that the C7 2LT doesn't come with is navigation! EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME!

... except (LOL)

The 2LT C7 has:
A better sound system
Better heads up display
Better infotainment system
Better seats with active ventilation
Better climate control
Better DIC with far more information
Better phone compatibility
Better safety system
Reverse camera
iPod/MP3 player/SD card integration
Better/adjustable steering feel

etc.

Just a few things that make the C7 2LT far greater than the C6 3LT...

Just saying...

vettelover69 08-18-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584701535)
That was my point when I said the GS had to have other options to get to $72K... but 2LT is basically every interior option on the C7 except the leather wrapped interior and nav. Obviously there are options like carbon dash, roof panels, exhaust, MRC, Z51, painted calipers, chrome wheels, etc. But the 2LT option package has much, if not almost all, of what was in 3LT on the C6.

And that's understandable. But this other guy thinks a 56k c7 is going to be as loaded as a 72k c6 is must be drinking too much c7 kool aid?

vettelover69 08-18-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584701547)
Geezus!!! WOULD YOU PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK!?

The only option the C6 3LT comes with standard that the C7 2LT doesn't come with is navigation! EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME!

... except (LOL)

The 2LT C7 has:
A better sound system
Better heads up display
Better infotainment system
Better seats with active ventilation
Better climate control
Better DIC with far more information
Better phone compatibility
Better safety system
Reverse camera
iPod/MP3 player/SD card integration
Better/adjustable steering feel

etc.

Just a few things that make the C7 2LT far greater than the C6 3LT...

Just saying...

I think you're just too dumb to figure this out.

Do you get chrome rims, upgraded spoiler, heritage package, colored calipers and dual roofs for 56k??? If not then just stfu already.

Oh and all of these "better options" you're talking about are just your opinion. Oh wait you must have a C7 already to be able to make all of hear claims?

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701603)
I think you're just too dumb to figure this out.

Do you get chrome rims, upgraded spoiler, heritage package, colored calipers and dual roofs for 56k??? If not then just stfu already.

Oh and all of these "better options" you're talking about are just your opinion. Oh wait you must have a C7 already to be able to make all of hear claims?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

wait...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Are you just in derp mode or are you always this stupid.

EVERY SINGLE REVIEWER SAID ALL OF THOSE THINGS ARE BETTER!

So what you're saying is that for the same price he has the option of buying a much faster and newer car with lots of better things or he can buy a 2 year old model, 1 generation behind because it has chrome wheels.

LAWL! Good luck selling that one! :rofl::lol::rofl::lol:

vettelover69 08-18-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584701696)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

wait...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Are you just in derp mode or are you always this stupid.

EVERY SINGLE REVIEWER SAID ALL OF THOSE THINGS ARE BETTER!

So what you're saying is that for the same price he has the option of buying a much faster and newer car with lots of better things or he can buy a 2 year old model, 1 generation behind because it has chrome wheels.

LAWL! Good luck selling that one! :rofl::lol::rofl::lol:

You didn't answer the question about all of the other options he's going to get for 56K?

But I get it. You must of been dropped on your head a few times as a baby to be this stupid.

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701751)
You didn't answer the question about all of the other options he's going to get for 56K?

But I get it. You must of been dropped on your head a few times as a baby to be this stupid.

HAHA... I think we're going to get this thread locked.

But to answer your obviously idiotic question, I don't think those other options are worth it. Who cares about those options? They're on a soon to be 3 year old model in a older generation. If the "heritage" package is that big of a deal, than whoopy, go buy that. But I think the "STINGRAY" name is more than enough heritage to make up for it. Not to mention, there's STILL nothing better about that GS over the C7. Yay! Painted calipers! That makes ALL the difference in the world. What was I thinking? Definitely go by that GS! :rolleyes:

vettelover69 08-18-2013 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584701793)
HAHA... I think we're going to get this thread locked.

But to answer your obviously idiotic question, I don't think those other options are worth it. Who cares about those options? They're on a soon to be 3 year old model in a older generation. If the "heritage" package is that big of a deal, than whoopy, go buy that. But I think the "STINGRAY" name is more than enough heritage to make up for it. Not to mention, there's STILL nothing better about that GS over the C7. Yay! Painted calipers! That makes ALL the difference in the world. What was I thinking? Definitely go by that GS! :rolleyes:

We are all now dumber from reading your replies.:crazy2:

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701842)
We are all now dumber from reading your replies.:crazy2:

http://theminorityreport.co/stixblog...e-facepalm.jpg

vettelover69 08-18-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584701852)

Really? All I see is 2 hands on his face and 2 on his head. How is that a quadruple facepalm???

You failed again.

SCM_Crash 08-18-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584701874)
Really? All I see is 2 hands on his face and 2 on his head. How is that a quadruple facepalm???

You failed again.

OK... You win. It's obviously too hard for you to admit when you're wrong. So I'm not going to argue with you anymore.

To the OP... Get the one you think you'll be happiest with. The majority of us here have stated that it's pointless to buy a C6 for that much (even with it's chrome rims) when you can get a far superior car for the same price.

An other member has stated you just can't get a C7 2LT with all the other things that GS will come with, like painted calipers and chrome wheels. LOL So it's really a personal preference thing.

Personally, I would go for the car that has nothing but good reviews.

2K3Z06 08-18-2013 06:20 PM

Never argue with an idiot on the internet, they bring you down to their level. And beat you with experience.

OnPoint 08-18-2013 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dlinderman (Post 1584694996)
You lost me at Baby blue...I mean Carlisle Blue.

Probably why it's still "new".

vettelover69 08-18-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06 (Post 1584702383)
Never argue with an idiot on the internet, they bring you down to their level. And beat you with experience.

Shouldn't you be reading a dictionary so you know when to use there and their??:thumbs:

HummelS 08-18-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584695759)

If the dealer offers you the car under $50K do it, otherwise, just wait a few months for the C7 and get the latest and greatest.

And be prepared to wait until next year sometime, maybe even for a 2015 model.... I've had my C7 order in for a couple months, and am looking at March/April for my 'vert. If you haven't already ordered a 2014, you may be too late to the party.

Paulchristian 08-18-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by vettelover69 (Post 1584702433)
Shouldn't you be reading a dictionary so you know when to use there and their??:thumbs:

??? ...he used the correct form of the word...what are you talking about?

vettelover69 08-18-2013 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584702525)

It's from a different thread.

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06 (Post 1584701271)
Wow, 4 pages and none of the C7 haters has said one word.............. Amazing.

Probably out trying to sell there obsolete "427"

SD1 08-18-2013 07:00 PM

That would make a good down payment on a 911.

not08crmanymore 08-18-2013 07:27 PM

You can get a 2013 GS for less the 56 grand so why bother with a 12 unless there's about 25000 off sticker.its a matter of taste yes. Nobody here owns a c7 or even driven one for that matter so they have no idea if its better then the GS. Hopefully being the new Vette on the block it is better. It's supposed to be!! Looks wise, I'll take the GS all day long but hey, what do i know..I'm just a 2013 GS owner..

OBSSSD 08-18-2013 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jefff1 (Post 1584694700)

You are asking the question in the C7 forum so that should tell you what all the answers will be, but I just bought a 12' GS coupe for $20k off MSRP facing the same choice myself. It was a loaded 4LT with the suede inserts in the seats MSRP $73k paid $53k, plus I had a trade on a 12' C6 GS vert at $51k so it was about $2100 with taxes to switch out the year old one I had.

You have to decide if you want a stripped down first year production C7 that is bound to have far more short and long term issues than a very well refined C6. Performance wise there is a quite marginal improvement across the board, and the LS3 has proven itself to be the most bulletproof production OHV V that8 GM has ever built. I spent about $3500 and added 100rwhp to mine and it drives near 100% stock. It will be fun running into C7's on the road around town when they hit the streets :yesnod:

To me it would seem that looks are the deciding factor, since performance wise there is so little difference between the two cars. I wasn't crazy about the blocky Camaro rear end on the C7 so it was an easy choice for me :thumbs:

gthal 08-18-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1584703322)
...since performance wise there is so little difference between the two cars...

You must not have read the 12+ reviews that offer a very different opinion when comparing the C7 to the outgoing car :rofl: No need to respond, everyone knows what your response will be already :thumbs:

EDIT: There is nothing wrong with choosing a '12 GS as long as you know what you are buying and you are getting the right deal. That and being someone who doesn't mind having older technology and an older car. For some people, that is irrelevant but others care about that on top of the performance difference.

c7luvr 08-18-2013 09:11 PM

$50k tops.

Euthymicone 08-18-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584694807)

Sad--I'm old (by today's standards I guess. 62 so I must have one foot in the grave I guess). But my wife says I'm beautiful. There will always be something new. Better? Not so sure. Computers, smart phones, etc. I still use a flip phone. Recently some guy looked at my phone and literally scoffed at me. Had another look down their nose because I had only two masters degrees compared to their Ed.d. This "one-upmanship" is exhausting. I'll just mosey down the road happily in my archaic, creaking, arthritic 2013 GS, and I'll love every minute of it. Why? Because I'm old and probably senile. Maybe not even oriented to time, so how would I even know the difference? :yesnod:

GSD.

BlueOx 08-18-2013 09:33 PM

Why is this buying a 2012 crap even in this forum?

Euthymicone 08-18-2013 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584703803)
Why is this buying a 2012 crap even in this forum?

For a partial answer, see my previous post. I love the 13 GS. I'm still looking for my false teeth after my last spirited jaunt down one of our local mountain roads. I may even trade my walker in on a new model. Even my T levels are increasing!

gthal 08-18-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Euthymicone (Post 1584703773)
Sad--I'm old (by today's standards I guess. 62 so I must have one foot in the grave I guess). But my wife says I'm beautiful. There will always be something new. Better? Not so sure. Computers, smart phones, etc. I still use a flip phone. Recently some guy looked at my phone and literally scoffed at me. Had another look down their nose because I had only two masters degrees compared to their Ed.d. This "one-upmanship" is exhausting. I'll just mosey down the road happily in my archaic, creaking, arthritic 2013 GS, and I'll love every minute of it. Why? Because I'm old and probably senile. Maybe not even oriented to time, so how would I even know the difference? :yesnod:

I don't think I said that there is anything wrong with buying a GS. There isn't and it is still a great car. What I was trying to articulate (maybe not well) is that it is, in fact, older technology and an older design. Many people, like yourself, maybe don't care at all about that. However, some do and that's OK too. If the price is right to opt for the older car, great. However, if the price is close, why would someone choose the older car that isn't as capable? The only reason I can fathom is that the person doesn't like the new design... that's fair too. It isn't about "one-upmanship" IMO.

Aviator 08-18-2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1584702415)

Probably why it's still "new".

Unlikely. Actually, Chevy gave a bunch of CB Vette's to tech schools in 2012 and the schools returned them in 2013. These Vettes were then sold as new a model year later.

And don't be such a hater of CB. It's an incredible color and gets absolutely nothing but compliments from everyone who sees it in person. :cheers:

BlueOx 08-18-2013 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Euthymicone (Post 1584703840)
For a partial answer, see my previous post. I love the 13 GS. I'm still looking for my false teeth after my last spirited jaunt down one of our local mountain roads. I may even trade my walker in on a new model. Even my T levels are increasing!

Maybe C6 is a better place to get an answer is my point.

Aviator 08-18-2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584701482)

I have virtually the same C6 and to get to $72k it has NPP, MRC, two tops, chrome wheels, etc. An equally equipped C7 would run close to $70k, if not a tad more. The OP should still get the C7 IMO.

OnPoint 08-18-2013 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 1584703935)
Unlikely. Actually, Chevy gave a bunch of CB Vette's to tech schools in 2012 and the schools returned them in 2013. These Vettes were then sold as new a model year later.

And don't be such a hater of CB. It's an incredible color and gets absolutely nothing but compliments from everyone who sees it in person. :cheers:

I'm not a hater of CB, and didn't mean to come off that way. My apologies if I did.

I just figured it might not have as wide a draw as other colors. Seems like a color that would be a love/hate color, and perhaps why this car was still available.

Carnut12 08-18-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584702525)

I was about to quote that and saw you did, hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!:iagree:

csf 08-18-2013 10:20 PM

Wasn't gonna chime in here but can't resist as I just bought a brand new $71k MSRP 3LT 2013 GS coupe similar to the one the OP described for $56k and could not be happier. ( Mine does not have painted calipers but did have dual roof and magnetic ride. ) So I think his car should be a few thousand less than mine as its a 2012, but not $40k as some have said.

I understand the C6 is the older outgoing model but I chose to buy it after researching the C7 because I did not want a 7 speed manual, an 8 cylinder that runs as 4 cylinders, a video display for my speedometer, or a giant video screen in the center stack. I also wanted the look of the classic curved rear window and targa top I remember and lusted for as a kid. The elimination of the classic rear window was actually more important to me than the C7 rear tail lights, which I didn't like at first but are growing on me. Guess I'm just getting old myself.

I understand the C7 interior is a major upgrade, but the C6 has been updated and upgraded through the years and the exterior is still a beautiful shape. The ride and handling of the C7 may be better at the limit, but as a daily driver the differences seem minor.

I love technology as much as the next guy but sometimes it can get in the way. An article in the back of a recent Road and Track accused BMW of this . . . stating the technology in their cars is so over the top it is beginning to get in the way of the driving. I'm not saying this is the case with the C7, but for now the "old" C6 GS is perfect for me, and I have no regrets.

I was willing to pay almost C7 money for a new leftover 2013 C6 because I did not want any used Corvette, be it a C6 or C7. Apparently many others have felt the same as me this summer because the forum dealers here are clearly selling their remaining C6's . . . Criswell alone seems to have sold over 30 C6's in the last 60 days.

I do think the C7 looks great, the upgrades are amazing, the reviews are awesome, it should be a success for GM, and those who buy it will do so because it is exactly what they want. But for those that decide they may still want a C6, like maybe the OP, there is no time like the present, cause with $15-$20k off they may all be gone soon.

Craig

HogwildC7 08-18-2013 10:32 PM

I almost bought one but they wanted $56.5, I thought about it and changed my mine. I will wait on a 2014 unless they will offer less than $51k.

OBSSSD 08-18-2013 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584703892)
I don't think I said that there is anything wrong with buying a GS. There isn't and it is still a great car. What I was trying to articulate (maybe not well) is that it is, in fact, older technology and an older design. Many people, like yourself, maybe don't care at all about that. However, some do and that's OK too. If the price is right to opt for the older car, great. However, if the price is close, why would someone choose the older car that isn't as capable? The only reason I can fathom is that the person doesn't like the new design... that's fair too. It isn't about "one-upmanship" IMO.

Right on brother :thumbs:

It's the same few folks on here who continually shank the C6 and look down on those who own one (or just bought one instead of ordering a C7) because they are going to have a C7 soon :crazy2:

BlueOx 08-18-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by OBSSSD (Post 1584704406)
Right on brother :thumbs:

It's the same few folks on here who continually shank the C6 and look down on those who own one (or just bought one instead of ordering a C7) because they are going to have a C7 soon :crazy2:

Shank the C6? That's a little melodramatic ain't it?:rofl:

User 2623 08-19-2013 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584695759)

Actually I would differ here on this consensus.
Ya see if you go C7 you will be essentially QA production testing for GM.
There will be first year problems, and as always some maybe significant.
I suspect with the overwhelming electronics in C7 a plethora of [hopefully] just annoying issues will pop up.

Conversely with the 12 GS you will have a car that has been thoroughly vetted.
So if an when an issue does come up in all likelihood a TSB and a fix exists for the issue.
That translates to a reliable and relatively trouble free vette, and that is something worth aspiring to.

I would stay away from a first year vette.... unless you like being a pioneer.
Unfortunately life with a first year vette is not for the faint of heart.

Just tellin ya like it is .....

SCM_Crash 08-20-2013 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by matthewelle (Post 1584704821)
Actually I would differ here on this consensus.
Ya see if you go C7 you will be essentially QA production testing for GM.
There will be first year problems, and as always some maybe significant.
I suspect with the overwhelming electronics in C7 a plethora of [hopefully] just annoying issues will pop up.

Conversely with the 12 GS you will have a car that has been thoroughly vetted.
So if an when an issue does come up in all likelihood a TSB and a fix exists for the issue.
That translates to a reliable and relatively trouble free vette, and that is something worth aspiring to.

I would stay away from a first year vette.... unless you like being a pioneer.
Unfortunately life with a first year vette is not for the faint of heart.

Just tellin ya like it is .....

Needless to say, GM isn't going to release the C7 with a ton of issues. They have a lot riding on this Corvette. Will there be issues? Almost certainly. But I doubt anything serious at all and the car still has a warranty.

tunaman 08-20-2013 02:07 AM

The 2012 GS is an awesome car. It recently sold for over $70k, and at anywhere near $50k is a great deal regardless of the imminent delivery of the new C7 coupes. You should all recall that the GS is NOT a base-level car, so getting it anywhere close to base level pricing is a deal.

And as of late there is a lack of supply on the secondary market for many of the C6 used cars, as my friend has been trying desperately to locate a decent used C6 without extremely high miles and they are few and far between.

Lastly, the dealer in So Cal that sold me our 06 Z51 C6 has/had a used GS recently listed at $85k! That is just insane.

RocketGuy3 08-20-2013 02:54 AM

I wouldn't pay more than about $40K, personally, for that car. It's just not worth anymore than that to me, even brand new, with the C7 coming out. I wouldn't be surprised if the used KBB value was around that, too.

SCM_Crash 08-20-2013 03:00 AM

KBB puts it at $50K.

But the thing is that even if it's new, it's like buying a used car because it's 2 models behind. I just don't understand buying a previous generation car for the same price as the new generation car.

(Especially after every single review being positive about the car.)

jimmyb 08-20-2013 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584713541)
KBB puts it at $50K.

But the thing is that even if it's new, it's like buying a used car because it's 2 models behind. I just don't understand buying a previous generation car for the same price as the new generation car.

Exactly. It's a TWO year old car. The fact that it's new, at this point, really doesn't matter. It has depreciated just like a 2012 GS that's been on the road...the MINUTE he drives it off the lot, it BECOMES another USED 2012 GS. If the OP truly wants to do this, I would look around and see what used 2012 GS's are going for in his area, and then offer the dealer 5% more than the going used price (the warranty is worth something, I guess).

Jimmy

DanTheFireman 08-20-2013 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by csf (Post 1584704161)
Wasn't gonna chime in here but can't resist as I just bought a brand new $71k MSRP 3LT 2013 GS coupe similar to the one the OP described for $56k and could not be happier. ( Mine does not have painted calipers but did have dual roof and magnetic ride. ) So I think his car should be a few thousand less than mine as its a 2012, but not $40k as some have said.

I understand the C6 is the older outgoing model but I chose to buy it after researching the C7 because I did not want a 7 speed manual, an 8 cylinder that runs as 4 cylinders, a video display for my speedometer, or a giant video screen in the center stack. I also wanted the look of the classic curved rear window and targa top I remember and lusted for as a kid. The elimination of the classic rear window was actually more important to me than the C7 rear tail lights, which I didn't like at first but are growing on me. Guess I'm just getting old myself.

I understand the C7 interior is a major upgrade, but the C6 has been updated and upgraded through the years and the exterior is still a beautiful shape. The ride and handling of the C7 may be better at the limit, but as a daily driver the differences seem minor.

I love technology as much as the next guy but sometimes it can get in the way. An article in the back of a recent Road and Track accused BMW of this . . . stating the technology in their cars is so over the top it is beginning to get in the way of the driving. I'm not saying this is the case with the C7, but for now the "old" C6 GS is perfect for me, and I have no regrets.

I was willing to pay almost C7 money for a new leftover 2013 C6 because I did not want any used Corvette, be it a C6 or C7. Apparently many others have felt the same as me this summer because the forum dealers here are clearly selling their remaining C6's . . . Criswell alone seems to have sold over 30 C6's in the last 60 days.

I do think the C7 looks great, the upgrades are amazing, the reviews are awesome, it should be a success for GM, and those who buy it will do so because it is exactly what they want. But for those that decide they may still want a C6, like maybe the OP, there is no time like the present, cause with $15-$20k off they may all be gone soon.

Craig

Congrats on your new car Craig. You got a great deal on a great car that makes you happy. That's all that matters. We sometimes seem to forget how fortunate we are to enjoy every day what the majority of people on the road can't or won't.

vetteLT193 08-20-2013 08:10 AM

Instead of comparing to a C7, compare to 2013 first and see where you think you should be.

In short, you can get a brand new 2013, optioned the same / similar for maybe a grand or two more. Is two grand worth a model year? to me it isn't. If I'm buying a leftover 2012 after the 2013 model has ceased production then I need at least 10 percent more off of the price from a 2013. That means you should be at least 5 grand less than a 2013 and it quite simply isn't. Check out some supporting member dealers (kerbeck) and you will see what they offer on 2013's.

Fulton 1 08-20-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Euthymicone (Post 1584703773)

GSD.

I'm with you, sir. I've witnessed the introduction of the C4, C5, C6, and now the C7 and it's always the same.

My humble advice to the OP would be unless you MUST buy a Corvette now or you plan on trading "up" in 3-4 years - do nothing. Wait until the C7 has a year or two under its belt before taking the dive. By then the performance version(s) will be out (which will, of course, be the new shiny object) and the bugs that always come with a complete redesign such as this one will likely be worked out. I've done and seen enough, let's call it, "unpaid product development" to never again buy a first year car. YMMV

sam90lx 08-20-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 1584713541)
KBB puts it at $50K.

Looks may have a lot to do with it.

RocketGuy3 08-20-2013 02:16 PM

So to be clear, OP, is $56K the drive out price? Or do you still have to pay TTL on top of that?

BlueOx 08-20-2013 02:19 PM

What would you pay for a 2012 GS?

I wouldn't - at least not much for a 'new' 2012 that has sat on a lot, not being driven for two years.

Jefff1 08-20-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3 (Post 1584717185)
So to be clear, OP, is $56K the drive out price? Or do you still have to pay TTL on top of that?

$56k is the selling price for just the car then add the 8% sales tax...registration fees and whatever else they usually come up with...

Jefff1 08-20-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584717213)
I wouldn't - at least not much for a 'new' 2012 that has sat on a lot, not being driven for two years.

The dealership owner said they like to start it and roll it out the doors of the showroom and take it for a spin...which I happily did...It was the first time I'd ever driven a Corvette...I have lots of Viper miles.. 1995 and 03 versions with different HP...that's a fun car too but not very good gas mileage

But to your point who knows how much it's really started and run

Crossed Flags Fan 08-20-2013 03:38 PM

If the "style" of the C6, the equipment and price (a bit lower) appeal to your car sense, then pull the trigger and go for it. Lets face it, if in a year from now you change your mind, sell it and go for the C7. You're not making a life/long term commitment.... Just sayin'