CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3316436-will-c7-have-1-to-4-skip-shift.html)

c5vette73 08-02-2013 11:15 PM

Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?

My C5 and C6 both had the skip shift as a fuel saving feature. I believe it also a way around gas guzzler tax.

CaryBob 08-02-2013 11:20 PM

According to previous threads, the answer is "yes".

DevonK 08-03-2013 12:54 AM

Anyone know roughly what percentage of Vette owners go as far as disabling it? I understand it was not too hard to do.

Zee51Vert 08-03-2013 08:11 AM

Shift at 3000 rpm :rock:

CPhelps 08-03-2013 08:57 AM

Yes CAGS makes a reappearance on the C7.

runutzzzzz 08-03-2013 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Zee51Vert (Post 1584574373)
Shift at 3000 rpm :rock:

or get a automatic! :leaving:

Dave@Ciocca 08-03-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by DevonK (Post 1584573370)
Anyone know roughly what percentage of Vette owners go as far as disabling it? I understand it was not too hard to do.

It's very easy to disable...just drive the car like it was designed! I've never understood why people by a monster sports car and then decide they need to shift from 1st to 2nd at 1400 RPMs... :willy:

Dave

JerriVette 08-03-2013 11:04 AM

I never activate CAGS because I always shift out of first after 25 mph...

I believe if you shift under 21 mph when the engine is warm and you activate the skip shift...for years I thought it was not even on my cars until I asked the gm tech about that feature and why it wasn't on my car...

Just shifting out of first after 21 mph is better than disabling the feature.

Hell I like revving the car closer to redline anyway to hear the motor.

Off the top of my head I don't remember the revs but to activate CAGSyou would have to shifting out of first gear waaaaaaay early........

It's really a non issue so my opinion is don't install whatever the cheap devise is to cancel the operation....

Enjoy your new corvette as it comes in..

Awesome car!

zhopper05 08-03-2013 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1584575374)
It's very easy to disable...just drive the car like it was designed! I've never understood why people by a monster sports car and then decide they need to shift from 1st to 2nd at 1400 RPMs... :willy:

Dave

Every once in a while on a left-turn signal you get behind some other car who takes it a little slow. When you've driven stick shift forever, and while owning several manual-transmission cars, shifting becomes second nature, and you're bound to attempt shifting at times without realizing you're still below 1900 RPM. When it happens with me, I have gotten in to the habit of shifting quickly into third.

Dave@Ciocca 08-03-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584575743)
Every once in a while on a left-turn signal you get behind some other car who takes it a little slow. When you've driven stick shift forever, and while owning several manual-transmission cars, shifting becomes second nature, and you're bound to attempt shifting at times without realizing you're still below 1900 RPM. When it happens with me, I have gotten in to the habit of shifting quickly into third.

Sure, on the rare occasion that may happen when you are not thinking. However, on that rare occasion, you should probably let the car do what's best for the car and not over-ride the engineers' programming. Of course, that just my opinion, but I always ere on the side of the guys who design and build them over my own mechanical prowess! :rofl:

Dave

torquetube 08-03-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1584575374)

Meh. If you're in any kind of moderately-accelerating traffic on surface streets it's a perfectly appropriate shift point and now you're stuck bogging in 4th. When I select second gear I expect second gear.

The feature is useful as a tax shelter, which is its main purpose.

JerriVette 08-03-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1584575867)
Sure, on the rare occasion that may happen when you are not thinking. However, on that rare occasion, you should probably let the car do what's best for the car and not over-ride the engineers' programming. Of course, that just my opinion, but I always ere on the side of the guys who design and build them over my own mechanical prowess! :rofl:

Dave

I agree.

arghx7 08-03-2013 01:36 PM

CAGS becomes annoying and intrusive when you are in some kind of dense city traffic environment. You may naturally want to put it into 2nd while creeping along or making a turn, and suddenly you're forced into 4th. If it helps saves a gas guzzler tax then I won't complain.

With the previous LSx vehicles you can unplug the servo and basically plug in some "dummy" plugs that I believe use resistors. It's basically a $15 ebay part. That's if you don't disable CAGS by reflashing the PCM with HP Tuners etc.

Nitrous Oxide 08-03-2013 01:59 PM

Gee... We can easily tell

1) Who actually drives a C6 daily.
2) Who lives in the city.
3) Who lives on farmland or Wyoming.

JoesC5 08-03-2013 02:14 PM

Install the $20 CAGS eliminator, and forget about having to meet any predetermined parameters. Then you can drive it just like you would drive any manual transmission, meaning you shift at the RPM and speed which makes sense at the time and under the conditions of which you are driving.

When I shift into second, with my CAGS eliminator installed, I do it without wondering if I'm driving fast enough, etc to get around the CAGS. I just shift into second gear when it feels right, not when the Nanny allows me.

Nitrous Oxide 08-03-2013 02:29 PM

One positive point about CAGS is that it taught me how often I could save on gas by going directly to the 4th. Other than that it's a downright dangerous distraction when the place is crowded with skateboarders, cyclists, construction workers, other cars and what have you.

Edit: And... trolleys and hills like in SF. And porta potties.

JerriVette 08-03-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide (Post 1584576747)
Gee... We can easily tell

1) Who actually drives a C6 daily.
2) Who lives in the city.
3) Who lives on farmland or Wyoming.

I drive my c6 daily and I drive the thing into manhattan..every week or so...

CAGS is just a non issue...

I like the idea of just leaving the car as they designed it.

I just never shift below the 25 mph mark even without thinking about CAGS..

I realize its not always the popular opinion but it just doesn't come into play

RJ-92 08-03-2013 02:36 PM

I had the CAGS on my GTO turned off when it was tuned.

BayouCountry 08-03-2013 02:45 PM

It was intrusive on my '06 so I disabled it. It is much less intrusive on my '12 so I didn't need to disable it. I would guess it's not very intrusive on the C7.

Kehraus 08-03-2013 02:46 PM

Tuning your new car voids the warranty.

That seems worth it.